Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Neural systems do not process information using logic gates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Friendly Humour posted:

Neural systems do not process information using logic gates

That is not an assumption made by any contemporary computationalist.

In general, any time you think you can invalidate an entire field of academic study with a single sentence, you should stop for a second and wonder 'why hasn't anyone else thought of this?'

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

blowfish posted:

[citation needed]

I'm anything but an expert but people in the field seem to make a distinction between computation and cognition.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Juffo-Wup posted:

That is not an assumption made by any contemporary computationalist.

In general, any time you think you can invalidate an entire field of academic study with a single sentence, you should stop for a second and wonder 'why hasn't anyone else thought of this?'

There are contemporary computationalists?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If it doesn't use logic gates, it's not a computer nor does it do computation.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
Computational Theory of Mind at the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

Friendly Humour posted:

If it doesn't use logic gates, it's not a computer nor does it do computation.

Would you be at all worried if this declaration didn't match up to common usage?

Alternatively, if mental features were syntactically individuated and had a compositional semantics, would you be inclined to count that as 'using logic gates?'

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Juffo-Wup posted:

Computational Theory of Mind at the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

Would you be at all worried if this declaration didn't match up to common usage?

Alternatively, if mental features were syntactically individuated and had a compositional semantics, would you be inclined to count that as 'using logic gates?'

I wouldn't, since that word salad has nothing to do with the functioning of neural systems.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A Computer can be reduced to a turing machine, a neural intelligence cannot.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
So here you come marching into the thread like Moses from the mountaintop declaring that you bear, once and for all, the final truth about the nature of the mind. Never mind that you are apparently totally ignorant of the relevant literature, we can't let silly things like that get in the way of The Truth, can we?

Is it hubris, or just extreme laziness? I can't tell. I don't really feel like finding out.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sounds like a btich got told.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Friendly Humour posted:

A Computer can be reduced to a turing machine, a neural intelligence cannot.

I would really like to see you back this statement up. I would like it a lot.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dzhay posted:

I would really like to see you back this statement up. I would like it a lot.

Me too! I would like to see a neural intelligence that can be reduced to a turing machine!

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Friendly Humour posted:

Me too! I would like to see a neural intelligence that can be reduced to a turing machine!

That's easy, they've made basic logic gates out of rat neurones.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dzhay posted:

That's easy, they've made basic logic gates out of rat neurones.

Yeah and I can do basic addition but that doesn't make me a calculator. No, wait beep boop

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Just so we're clear, are you actually arguing that

a) A normal (separate CPU, RAM etc.) computer's architecture is a piss-poor model of an animal brain

or

b) Said brain couldn't be emulated by that sort of computer, with at most a polynomial slow-down?

Because if it's (a), I agree with you whole-heartedly, but you're using the wrong words.

On the other hand, if you meant (b) - give me one reason to think that might be the case.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

waitwhatno posted:

Transition state theory is probably one of the most important concepts required to understand self-assembly in biology. You are just talking nonsense here.

I don't see how the model you proposed adds anything interesting to the physical understanding of life, so yeah, I'm brushing it off.

Self-assembly and self-organization are not the same thing. Self-assembly is an equilibrium process, self-organization is a non-equilibrium process. Self-assembly is certainly important to biology and living things taking advantage of it in many ways, but it doesn't get us living things in the first place.

It's not such a big deal if you brush off the whole "physical intelligence" thing. That's to be expected. What I'm objecting to is your brushing off non-equilibrium thermodynamics and disspative structures. Transition state theory is not the whole story. Relaxation to equilibrium cannot explain the emergence of complexity without pre-existing components.

And as far as computational theory of mind, my perspective is that any definition of computation either applies to minds/brains trivially, or not at all. But then again, I'm a partisan.

Edit: the epistemological debate is more interesting, as a scientist: what approach is more successful at generating knowledge? Both computational and dynamical approaches have been successful, so I don't judge. I think there's a lot more weak computational psychology research, but I think that's mostly chalked up to it being the majority approach. If anticomputationalism goes mainstream, I'm sure we'd see more crappy research too.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 29, 2016

minasole
Jan 11, 2016

Friendly Humour posted:

Touring machine requires a creator....

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
We're Von Neumann probes, not Turing test robots.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

minasole posted:

Touring machine requires a creator....

Indeed, street BMWs don't modify themselves into a race car...

minasole
Jan 11, 2016

McDowell posted:

We're Von Neumann probes, not Turing test robots.

Self-perceived evolved and selected arbitrary chemistry. How can brain judge what is a brain? How can a mirror see itself in the mirror?

And by the way!! The reason self-assembly exists.....is because of the rest of the life. I don't think that self-assembly emerges spontaneously, or can exist in isolation.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dzhay posted:

Just so we're clear, are you actually arguing that

a) A normal (separate CPU, RAM etc.) computer's architecture is a piss-poor model of an animal brain

or

b) Said brain couldn't be emulated by that sort of computer, with at most a polynomial slow-down?

Because if it's (a), I agree with you whole-heartedly, but you're using the wrong words.

On the other hand, if you meant (b) - give me one reason to think that might be the case.

Not the point, as I said I can do math in my head (very poorly) and computers can simulate neural intelligence through VNN. Both neural intelligence and computation can simulate either, but the whole point is that it needs to be simulated, and that simulation is inefficient compared to their native states. They are categorically different ways of processing information, they rely on different principles, hence the very need for simulation. Computeres use hardcoded laws to process distinct inputs, neural intelligence seeks associations in sequences of signals that do not need to be distinct (just need to carry a sequence). Analog versus digital, so to say.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Friendly Humour posted:

Not the point, as I said I can do math in my head (very poorly) and computers can simulate neural intelligence through VNN. Both neural intelligence and computation can simulate either, but the whole point is that it needs to be simulated, and that simulation is inefficient compared to their native states. They are categorically different ways of processing information, they rely on different principles, hence the very need for simulation. Computeres use hardcoded laws to process distinct inputs, neural intelligence seeks associations in sequences of signals that do not need to be distinct (just need to carry a sequence). Analog versus digital, so to say.

Again, you are arguing against a strawman. Nobody in contemporary cognitive science uses 'computational' the way you are using it. What you are saying is not relevant to any contemporary debate in the field. You literally do not know the first thing about the subject. Your apparent confidence despite these facts is just baffling.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Juffo-Wup posted:

Again, you are arguing against a strawman. Nobody in contemporary cognitive science uses 'computational' the way you are using it. What you are saying is not relevant to any contemporary debate in the field. You literally do not know the first thing about the subject. Your apparent confidence despite these facts is just baffling.

:salt:
:butt:

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
Hilarious.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
waitwhatno, did you have time to look into the Kac ring text yet? Do you understand now why a system does not move thorugh the entire state space in relevant times? It's really a rather important point if you want to get nonequilibrium stat mech. I'd be happy to answer questions if part of it's unclear.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

minasole posted:

I don't think that self-assembly emerges spontaneously, or can exist in isolation.

[citation needed]

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Belgian posted:

waitwhatno, did you have time to look into the Kac ring text yet? Do you understand now why a system does not move thorugh the entire state space in relevant times? It's really a rather important point if you want to get nonequilibrium stat mech. I'd be happy to answer questions if part of it's unclear.

No, I didn't, although I'm still planning to look over it.

It simply has nothing to with what I was arguing. As I already said, I completely agree with you on how difficult it can be to explain many biochemical processes happening in a reasonable time frames. But concerning abiogenesis, it's way too early for serious discussions about time frames, since there is no universally accepted explanation for how abiogenesis happened and how exactly the more complex organisms developed. No one has any idea what time frames were involved or the population size of the very first organisms. Neither are the exact mechanism/circumstances known that allowed for the highly improbable parts of abiogenesis to occur.

I'm just gonna leave you with the wise word of the famous honey rights advocate Richard Dawkins

quote:

All appearances to the contrary, the only watchmaker in nature is the blind forces of physics, albeit deployed in very special way. A true watchmaker has foresight: he designs his cogs springs, and plans their interconnections, with a future purpose in his mind's eye. Natural selection, the blind, unconscious, automatic process which Darwin discovered, and which we now know is the explanation for the existence and apparently purposeful form of all life, has no purpose in mind. It has no mind and no mind's eye. It does not plan for the future. It has no vision, no foresight, no sight at all. If it can be said to play the role of watchmaker in nature, it is the blind watchmaker.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

No, I didn't, although I'm still planning to look over it.

It simply has nothing to with what I was arguing. As I already said, I completely agree with you on how difficult it can be to explain many biochemical processes happening in a reasonable time frames. But concerning abiogenesis, it's way too early for serious discussions about time frames, since there is no universally accepted explanation for how abiogenesis happened and how exactly the more complex organisms developed. No one has any idea what time frames were involved or the population size of the very first organisms. Neither are the exact mechanism/circumstances known that allowed for the highly improbable parts of abiogenesis to occur.

I'm just gonna leave you with the wise word of the famous honey rights advocate Richard Dawkins

I wasn't really arguing against the final points you were making. The problem I had with you post was that you used entropy as an explanation when rather entropy is (at first sight) rather something that opposed what you were arguing for and it should by explained how life forms and so on despite entropy. Trying to explain abiogenesis is a very important task and I agree that very little is known about it (Although it's certainly not a research domain I'm actively following).

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's a good thing that the Earth isn't a closed system and it has a huge amount of energy constantly being pumped into it by the Sun.

The entropy argument only works if you don't actually understand how thermodynamics works.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

It's a good thing that the Earth isn't a closed system and it has a huge amount of energy constantly being pumped into it by the Sun.

The entropy argument only works if you don't actually understand how thermodynamics works.

Yes, the energy supplied from the sun could be part of an explanation of abiogenesis, nobody's denying that?

EDIT: I thought we were pretty explicit that we were talking about a nonequilibrium context?

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 1, 2016

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Belgian posted:

I wasn't really arguing against the final points you were making. The problem I had with you post was that you used entropy as an explanation when rather entropy is (at first sight) rather something that opposed what you were arguing for and it should by explained how life forms and so on despite entropy. Trying to explain abiogenesis is a very important task and I agree that very little is known about it (Although it's certainly not a research domain I'm actively following).

Look, this discussion is really going nowhere. I think I tried to make my point often enough, with enough examples and analogies for a lifetime. If you are interested in that topic, I can only recommend a book on Darwin, the travels on the Beagle and the following years. He describes and explains the branching of species very nicely and more people should read about him anyway, he was a great man.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

Look, this discussion is really going nowhere. I think I tried to make my point often enough, with enough examples and analogies for a lifetime. If you are interested in that topic, I can only recommend a book on Darwin, the travels on the Beagle and the following years. He describes and explains the branching of species very nicely and more people should read about him anyway, he was a great man.

What does this have to do with what I said? On what point do you think I'm disagreeing with you? I've read bits of Darwin but I don't think he ever talked about entropy?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Life is a sustained disequilibrium, powered by the Sun.

In terms of abiogenesis, last I checked the reducing atmosphere made the formation of larger (proto?)biomolecules energetically favorable, including autocatalytic molecules.

Once you've got that, basic selective pressure takes over.

Hard to prove since it wouldn't leave much of a geological record (especially once free oxygen comes into play) but all the basic biochemistry is there.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

Life is a sustained disequilibrium, powered by the Sun.

In terms of abiogenesis, last I checked the reducing atmosphere made the formation of larger (proto?)biomolecules energetically favorable, including autocatalytic molecules.

Once you've got that, basic selective pressure takes over.

Hard to prove since it wouldn't leave much of a geological record (especially once free oxygen comes into play) but all the basic biochemistry is there.

And nobody's denying this is a path to abiogenesis? I was objecting to the notion that things go through their entire state space.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Oh. OK then. What's that got to do with the price of bread?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shbobdb posted:

It's less expensive the older it gets

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

It was in response to this

waitwhatno posted:

naah, i'm just smug on principle, at all times. :smuggo:

ok lets try this, lets do some drunk napkin philosophin':

once you have a population of self-replicating and mutating chemical systems that can change into a huge amount of possible configuration states, entropy dictates that all of the possible states will be populated over time, right? now, some of these possible states are configurations that are capable of perception-action and once some of these states are populated, they will act as transition states and open up the new and enormous state-space of modern complex life. this state-space is much, much larger than the one of primitive, simple life.

i think that there is nothing special about the first perception-action capable state. once you have all the prerequisites in place, this type of state will be populated sooner or later and from then on, state entropy will lead to complex lifeforms completely displacing all non-complex life.

the best analogy that i can think of right now is a polypeptide. polypeptides can fold into an enormous amount of possible configurations, with some of these configurations acting as transition states to important functional enzymes. now, if you leave an infinite amount of these peptides out, these transition states will be populated sooner or later and lead to the formation of functional enzymes. imagine that this functional enzyme was our commons ancestor and the transitional state was the very first perception-action capable state.

Your conclusion being right is worthless and an accident if the premises you start from are wrong and waitwhatno was starting from an incorrect notion of entropy here.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Belgian posted:

I was objecting to the notion that things go through their entire state space.

Protein folding is all about state space so life seems to have already found a (the?) 'niche'.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

McDowell posted:

Protein folding is all about state space so life seems to have already found a (the?) 'niche'.

yes? So, clearly the system doesn't march through the entire state space?

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minasole
Jan 11, 2016
1)Apart from the solar energy, dis-equillibrium is maintained by the different isoforms that organic stereochemistry pose, which adds to the diversity and mechanics that is needed to avoid equillibrium....

2)You seem to neglect the overall impact of hydrophobicity (hydrophobic bonds, spatial configuration, separation and isolation of chemical systems, membranes, etc

minasole fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Mar 1, 2016

• Locked thread