Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Holyshoot posted:

Hhahah yess. Great episode. My reactions completely to this episode. I really hope they don't go down the route and murder Fionas Husband :(. Can he accidentally kill Deb instead?

I know that the show's not above killing someone like Sean off so it's a concern, I kinda like Sean.

I think what's more likely to happen is that the guy will gently caress up while trying to kill Sean, leading Sean to kill him which would violate his parole and he'd go back to prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Kev, V, and Svetlana are pretty much the only universally likeable characters on the show right now/the only characters that the world is not raining endless amounts of poo poo upon now that Lip has fallen off the deep end.
I guess maybe Carl too.
If next season is the last one I could see them going full circle and bringing Jimmy back for the big wrap-up.
He deserves the Gallagher life and he was likeable.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Welp, I guess all of the unfathomable luck Lip was having didn't go unnoticed/unplanned by the writers and he's getting the mother of all comeuppance now. I'm glad that the show didn't just let that train keep rolling. It'll be interesting to see what alternative he chooses to take. He's a smart guy and there are plenty of successful people who didn't go to college.

My guess? He's going to bored working construction for a while and come up with an app or a device or something in his spare time and make it big. Of course, there will be some hiccups along the way.

Based on the previews, who do y'all think is getting killed next episode? I doubt they'd kill any of the main Gallaghers, so I'm guessing Sean (too obvious) or maybe the baby (too gruesome) or Caleb...maybe Carl's cop-in-law?

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I feel bad for Ian. Yes, he did some unpredictable things when he wasn't properly medicated but she wasn't even basing it on that, just that he went in an inpatient program for a while. Is that an automatic out in the real world? He got a perfect score on all his tests. :smith:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Well, she was most upset that he lied to her. And last I saw he wasn't medicating.

I would think the dishonorable discharge would be more likely to be a bigger proglem but what do I know.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

yeah the ending with Kev creating a "sex schedule" made up for what would have otherwise been a fairly ":stare: what" moment with Frank deciding to just put a hit on Sean. Now I am not saying it is out-of-character considering what he just did last episode with the gang bangers and the headman of the commune but maybe I'm just concerned that Sean might actually get for real harmed out of this. It's not so much that Sean has grown on me just that it would be nice if some things would continue being nice for some of the characters on this show. We saw Fiona warm up to Debbie and be on her side for most of the episode, which is a pretty huge turnaround from how the season has been.

I'm not sure what was up with Lip and the prof, is it just because he derailed the lecture and then couldn't control himself or was this an ego thing too and the prof was just all "you upstaged me in front of the whole class, you're gone"?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Aces High posted:

yeah the ending with Kev creating a "sex schedule" made up for what would have otherwise been a fairly ":stare: what" moment with Frank deciding to just put a hit on Sean. Now I am not saying it is out-of-character considering what he just did last episode with the gang bangers and the headman of the commune but maybe I'm just concerned that Sean might actually get for real harmed out of this. It's not so much that Sean has grown on me just that it would be nice if some things would continue being nice for some of the characters on this show. We saw Fiona warm up to Debbie and be on her side for most of the episode, which is a pretty huge turnaround from how the season has been.

I'm not sure what was up with Lip and the prof, is it just because he derailed the lecture and then couldn't control himself or was this an ego thing too and the prof was just all "you upstaged me in front of the whole class, you're gone"?

This. I will be sad for Fiona if something happens to Sean becsuse it seems like she finally found someone who she loves and can handle her poo poo.

The professor was like a semi better frank to lip. And he shut that off earlier in the episode and wanted to be strictly professional. Lip got wasted and his feelings of not wanting it the relationship that way made him self destruct. That's how I took it at least.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Never you mind posted:

I still enjoy the characters and the acting but haven't been enjoying the season too much. The "Gallaghers get close to happiness and then gently caress it up" has become too repetitive over the course of the show, especially as the writers seem committed to a Seinfeld-like "no learning" policy so that stuff happens, characters go through ordeals, and then stuff reverses and brings characters back to square one.

And in an episode where they specifically call out the Hero's Journey as well. I thought they had to be trolling me.

Still, I enjoyed the episode and miserable Gallaghers are best Gallaghers.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
"She's like the Sphinx." :v:

I hope Ian gets his boyfriend to own up to his boss about telling him to lie on his application and manages to get back in somehow.

Also, my first stint at university ended because I got drunk and high with money I didn't actually have instead of studying so I can relate to gently caress Lip.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Lmao Carl putting Frank in a loving sleeper.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Carl is the best.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

Carl is the best.

Honestly I hope all the Gallagers die except Carl who goes to live with Kev and V and Svetlana now too.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I like Carl wanting to be a cop. It would be so delicious if it's portrayed not as him going straight, but rather 'graduating' to a bigger, tougher gang and being good at it for the same reasons he was a good criminal.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Reinanigans posted:

Welp, I guess all of the unfathomable luck Lip was having didn't go unnoticed/unplanned by the writers and he's getting the mother of all comeuppance now. I'm glad that the show didn't just let that train keep rolling. It'll be interesting to see what alternative he chooses to take. He's a smart guy and there are plenty of successful people who didn't go to college.

My guess? He's going to bored working construction for a while and come up with an app or a device or something in his spare time and make it big. Of course, there will be some hiccups along the way.

Based on the previews, who do y'all think is getting killed next episode? I doubt they'd kill any of the main Gallaghers, so I'm guessing Sean (too obvious) or maybe the baby (too gruesome) or Caleb...maybe Carl's cop-in-law?

i didnt see any preview but based on last episode

i dont think the baby is going to last too long on the show, in fact i never thought they would actually have her end up giving birth and keeping it - but thats all just a hunch, I thought when she mentioned SIDS and being overprotective there was some foreshadowing but it ended up with the baby dropped on the floor and not dead. also, its pretty certain that Ian's going to be in a complete depression hole until the end of the season which sucks because hes been one who hasnt been a total gently caress up this season...hopefully he stays with the show even though its been one bad and cringe-inducing season

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 1, 2016

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Eh, I expect Ian will keep his job somehow.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mariana Horchata posted:

i didnt see any preview but based on last episode

i dont think the baby is going to last too long on the show, in fact i never thought they would actually have her end up giving birth and keeping it - but thats all just a hunch, I thought when she mentioned SIDS and being overprotective there was some foreshadowing but it ended up with the baby dropped on the floor and not dead.
That would be by far the darkest thing the show's ever done. There's no way that's the route they take.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm just sad we're coming up on the finale. This season was pretty slow to start, but the last few episodes seemed to have packed in a lot.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/2016/03/31/would-shame-overlook-rossum/w3t1LEuiGgEbRkZ6GYSZHN/story.html

At least some people know what's up.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Well, I thought that was a generally underwhelming season finale, even though it was a good episode. Maybe I'm just used to more bang from this show, or my expectations of Frank shooting someone were misplaced.

Loved that Ian's guy was at the wedding for all that bs. Thought his little speech to get his job back was dumb (especially his coworkers who somehow stood behind him even though they barely know him?) but glad he's got it back anyway.

Thought for sure someone was going to get shot, figured it might be Sean's kid on accident and that was how the wedding was going to be broken up. I figured the wedding wasn't going to happen, just not because of Sean's habit.

Also, gently caress frank holy god. I can't believe Ian or Lip or Kev didn't just punch the crap out of him before he got to the outing Sean part.

Love love love Kev, V and Svetlana still. So amazing. They need a spinoff.

Also love the dynamic between Carl and his gf's dad. Very funny and heartening to see Carl care about something so much. The dad is likable even though he's a hardass.

Was surprised Lip's prof/boss was the one that bailed him out. Glad he took control with the rehab stuff.

I'm still thinking something will happen and Deb's baby is going to die.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I wish deb would die. But her story is a "bit" better but I use those quotes heavily. I liked the way they handled Sean.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Loved that Ian's guy was at the wedding for all that bs. Thought his little speech to get his job back was dumb (especially his coworkers who somehow stood behind him even though they barely know him?) but glad he's got it back anyway.

Regardless if they know him or not hes loving right! It's a bull poo poo question that is designed to make you lie or not get the job and if hes handling his poo poo then it shouldn't keep him from getting it.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Love love love Kev, V and Svetlana still. So amazing. They need a spinoff.
Fiona and Ian's quiet, perplexed reactions to their relationship was hilarious.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Holyshoot posted:

I wish deb would die. But her story is a "bit" better but I use those quotes heavily. I liked the way they handled Sean.

Regardless if they know him or not hes loving right! It's a bull poo poo question that is designed to make you lie or not get the job and if hes handling his poo poo then it shouldn't keep him from getting it.

It may be bullshit, but now if Ian fucks up, his boss is fired and likely liable legally too. I know it's tv and everything but I just feel like this would never happen irl

Nichael posted:

Fiona and Ian's quiet, perplexed reactions to their relationship was hilarious.

Yep, so good.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Kind of mixed messages in regards to dealing with substance abuser in this one and it was just done to break up Sean/Fiona which was dumb to the point where I kind of wish Frank had brought a gun, and maybe not had the balls to use it, but it had somehow gone off and killed Sean's son. I guess we're never getting rid of Frank so tossing him in a river is fine, I expect he'll be back drinking the family milk and ruining everyone's lives next season. The whole "family sticks together" speech with Deb was just a slap in the face when you have a guy like Frank running around making GBS threads all over everything and everyone. Weak finale but could have been worse I suppose.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Carl status: Still the best.

That being said, the show, while still excellent, has lost the strong fun streak that ran through the early seasons. It's also interesting that Frank is an even more malicious scumbag now that he isn't wandering around in a drunken stupor all the time. I've never cared that much about the Sean/Fiona plotline. I think bringing back Sheila and Jimmy would go a long way towards making the show fun again.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

The Lord Bude posted:

Carl status: Still the best.

That being said, the show, while still excellent, has lost the strong fun streak that ran through the early seasons. It's also interesting that Frank is an even more malicious scumbag now that he isn't wandering around in a drunken stupor all the time. I've never cared that much about the Sean/Fiona plotline. I think bringing back Sheila and Jimmy would go a long way towards making the show fun again.

I was actually surprised Jimmy didn't show up at the end.

I was against Lip's storyline at first but it took a turn for the better, and I hope his professor becomes a more prominent character. He's got the patience of a god.

I was so disappointed that I read the finale's description On Demand, what the gently caress were they thinking? This show has a strange habit of writing off love interests with sudden shallow characterizations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
All the early marketing for the show and the cold open for the first episode presented Frank as an eccentric patriarch, and then in I think the second episode he was already cemented as an irredeemable scumbag when hit Ian.
Fiona, Lip, and Ian were fed up with Frank since the show started, so he had to worm his way back into the family through the younger kids and their childlike trust of him. Now he's squandered any goodwill he had with Debs, and Carl is starting to think straight enough to realize how toxic he is. Frank's disappointment in Carl not wanting to stay with a dangerous gang was super lovely.

All this makes me worried about Frank pulling something with Liam.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I mean at some point they need to be like "Yes hes our dad but hes got to go FOR GOOD.". At least in real life that's how it would go down at least.

The Lord Bude posted:

I think bringing back Sheila and Jimmy would go a long way towards making the show fun again.

You liked her in the show? I thought she was awful and was just a slightly less worse frank.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

It may be bullshit, but now if Ian fucks up, his boss is fired and likely liable legally too. I know it's tv and everything but I just feel like this would never happen irl

Oh for sure it wouldn't. But neither would Carl selling guns to all of his teachers. I think the way they handled Ian's re-entry into the EMT worked within the rules of the show.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

The ending would have been better if they all just legitimately murdered Frank

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

nooneofconsequence posted:

The ending would have been better if they all just legitimately murdered Frank

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Nah

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I prefer Frabk when he is doing drunk rear end in a top hat shenanigans not just being a super dickhead.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
The more I think about it, the less interested I am in seeing another season of Fiona dating some poor schumck only to sleep with his best friend or something because her internal compass can't let her be happy with someone who's decent and not hosed in some way. I'm less interested in seeing them spend an entire season to build up to that point as well. I hope they can come up with something for her. Maybe since she's the manager, Sean with go back to rehab and she'll take over running the pie place. That would at least be different, having her drama revolve around managing the drama of a bunch of junkies and people on parole.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah I am tired of seeing her gently caress up relationships and bang an army of dudes non-stop evey season. I wonder if Lip even went into the rehab place or just bounced.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

This is why she needs Jimmy back in her life.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

This is why she needs Jimmy back in her life.

The least healthiest of her relationships in the entire series, including junkie-man

Also his face looked dumb

Never you mind
Jun 5, 2010
They should have let Jimmy stay dead. He's not my favorite character or anything, but he worked a lot better in season 1 (when his secret life was more local) than when they hooked him up with Brazilian drug lords and brought Estefania into the picture. The conflict between his spoiled-guy-goes-thrillseeking self and the day to day grind of Gallagher life was interesting enough without that. Plus, in season three he's tired of Gallagher life and plans to head back to med school alone, so I didn't get why he would have showed up for Fiona again in season 5. I understand that he couldn't go back to his old life with the cartel presumably still after him (?) but he had been edging away from the Gallaghers already. There was nothing that needed to be wrapped up there, no loose ends; bringing him back just created a lot of questions that they never answered.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Yeah I am tired of seeing her gently caress up relationships and bang an army of dudes non-stop evey season. I wonder if Lip even went into the rehab place or just bounced.

I like that they left it ambiguous. I think Lip went in though, mostly because of the look on his face when his professor implied he flipped the bill for his recovery. Jeremy Allen White did a good job of selling the look of an unspoken but grateful "thank you".

Pretty weak season overall, and while the finale wasn't strong, I like where it left things. And yes, Carl still owns.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

what I found great during Frank's tirade was when he talks about Ian and Ian just shakes his head like "this fuckin' guy" it was great. There were a lot of good moments like that in this episode, like the look of utter disdain that everyone in The Alibi gave Lip when he showed up and said he had been expelled. It's probably the closest they will get to that one scene from Good Will Hunting but it was pretty close with the construction guy (can't remember his name) saying "you're the dumbest loving smart guy I know" and Kev telling him he was sitting on the same bar stool Frank's been nursing for years.

Overall I would say this season was probably the least engaging for me but the last 3 episodes were really good and it sucks that they are resetting Fiona again but hey, they're still Gallaghers. Carl's doing just fine though, unless he really does follow the path of cracking heads as a cop instead of actually doing police work

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Man after I calmed down over how much of an rear end in a top hat Frank was I realized that Fiona is still better off with him having done all that than with him keeping quiet. Obviously he did it for completely selfish reasons and could have done it in a better way but Frank still did Fiona a favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
Not the strongest season but if in the first episode of the next Frank is walking in and stealing bacon off of Ian's plate at breakfast or whatever then I'll be pissed. The ignore what Frank actually is and does, while resetting everything move is loving annoying.

• Locked thread