Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

Dermot Mulroney =/= Dylan McDermott

man they all look the same to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
You guys are talking about Kit McDermott right?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Dmitri-9 posted:

You guys are talking about Kit McDermott right?

A name like that wouldn't get confused with Dermot Mulroney or Dylan McDermott. If it were Donald McDermott or Dermot McDonald or something then yeah.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Holy poo poo Carls school is insane and Debbie needs to abort, shes a dumb rear end 15 year old.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
Carl's school is hilarious. The end with all the teachers was awesome.

Emmy Rossum is an amazing actor. She killed it this whole episode. Frank reaching Peak Frank this episode was great. drat I love this show.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Man, Carl's story should be loving terrifying, but they're really going with a wacky, cavalier tone to it.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Welcome home naybor

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Just make the show about Carl.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Xoidanor posted:

I can't argue with that. I miss sheila and Jimmy though.

I'm glad we might start to see a change for the better in Ian - He was my favourite character in the first few seasons, and Monaghan is such a great actor that it's going to be really good to hopefully see him do something other than mope in the background of scenes for a change.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Xoidanor posted:

In a way after Lip he is by far the most successful Gallagher.

EDIT: what was that though, the third time Ian has beat up Lip?

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 25, 2016

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
This Carl storyline just keeps getting better and better. I can totally see the Dad changing his tune after he finds out Carl sells guns and they bond over that. Comedy gold.

Fiona's constant circling the drain would be worse if Emmy couldn't pull off scenes like she had in this one after her Fiona confronted Debbie.

The Ian stuff is just kind of monotonous, I don't find the actor very engaging and he's been too much of a foil the last couple seasons. At this point I'd rather just see him go away, but maybe his firefighter arc will make me care about him.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Carl's buddy reminds me of Chris Partlow from The Wire and that scares me.

Also can we just give Emmy Rossum ALL the awards? Goddamn she's good.

Lastly, Kevin, V, and Yanis are the best.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 26, 2016

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Now I'm unfamiliar with how ownership and housing works in the US, don't the Gallaghers actually own their house? Wouldn't they get foreclosed instead of evicted?

Anyway, this was a solid episode, every change of mood from Fiona was great and in some ways it sucks that Emmy Rossum doesn't do better films than Dragonball Evolution. Seriously her going from warm and receptive to Debbie and it disappearing in an instant to her putting on the "give no fucks" and then falling apart once Debbie leaves.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

I can't argue with that. I miss sheila and Jimmy though.

I'm glad we might start to see a change for the better in Ian - He was my favourite character in the first few seasons, and Monaghan is such a great actor that it's going to be really good to hopefully see him do something other than mope in the background of scenes for a change.

with Lip and dormbro's conversation about Ian being hardcore soldier-prep then falling into the trap of believing his bipolar disorder was going to make him a lovely person forever, then Ian rescuing the girl I feel like it might be a turning point for the character

also, calling it now, firefighter is gonna be Ian's new man

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

also, calling it now, firefighter is gonna be Ian's new man
That was kind of implied, yeah?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Aces High posted:

Now I'm unfamiliar with how ownership and housing works in the US, don't the Gallaghers actually own their house? Wouldn't they get foreclosed instead of evicted?

Anyway, this was a solid episode, every change of mood from Fiona was great and in some ways it sucks that Emmy Rossum doesn't do better films than Dragonball Evolution. Seriously her going from warm and receptive to Debbie and it disappearing in an instant to her putting on the "give no fucks" and then falling apart once Debbie leaves.

Most of what happens in this show doesn't jive with any sort of reality it's quite jarring, it's like the writers are familiar with concepts but have no idea of how any of it actually works its kinda jarring, like pretty much everything to do with Lip's college payment experience.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

That was kind of implied, yeah?

I think it was telegraphed pretty hard with the eye contact, yeah.

This is the actor? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5855663/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t20

The character is named Jason and he's supposed to be in at least one episode later this season.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Aces High posted:

They're leasing the property from Frank's brother; in an older season episode they had to fake the death of their great aunt who owned the house but had died years earlier while Frank kept cashing her social security checks. They backdated a will granting them ownership of the property but Frank's brother did the same thing with a more recent date giving him preference. Then Debby threatened to go lie to the cops about how he molested her and crawled into bed with her late at night and stuff and they blackmailed him into giving them a crazy long lease at a super low rate.

Some of the details might be a bit off and it's not realistic at all but that's basically what happened.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

They're leasing the property from Frank's brother; in an older season episode they had to fake the death of their great aunt who owned the house but had died years earlier while Frank kept cashing her social security checks. They backdated a will granting them ownership of the property but Frank's brother did the same thing with a more recent date giving him preference. Then Debby threatened to go lie to the cops about how he molested her and crawled into bed with her late at night and stuff and they blackmailed him into giving them a crazy long lease at a super low rate.

Some of the details might be a bit off and it's not realistic at all but that's basically what happened.

For this reason, it also occurred to me Debbie might have orchestrated the eviction after her conversation with Fiona. But then a neighbor commented on how they just got an eviction notice a few days previous so seems like it's more likely the AWFUL LESBIAN GENTRIFIERS are reporting code violations or something and getting poor tenants evicted.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

Ah ok, I forgot that that was how that arc played out. I thought they still had possession but I was wrong so now this makes a bit more sense (in regards to the story they are telling)

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Aces High posted:

Ah ok, I forgot that that was how that arc played out. I thought they still had possession but I was wrong so now this makes a bit more sense (in regards to the story they are telling)

I binged through seasons 3-5 recently, which probably explains how vividly I remember that ep :) Since it's never talked about again until this most recent episode it makes it very easy to think Fiona or Frank owns the place.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Pellisworth posted:

AWFUL LESBIAN GENTRIFIERS

Please don't steal my band name

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

GobiasIndustries posted:

Their cousin, not Frank's brother. Gallaghers are prettly fertile.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

The Ian stuff is just kind of monotonous, I don't find the actor very engaging and he's been too much of a foil the last couple seasons. At this point I'd rather just see him go away, but maybe his firefighter arc will make me care about him.

If it's anything like what happened in the UK version of the show... :unsmigghh:

spoiler-ish:The casting's spot on if that's the case. He looks similar enough to Cameron Monagan, but not so much that it's obvious.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Pellisworth posted:

But then a neighbor commented on how they just got an eviction notice a few days previous

I thought that was one of the Mexican family Frank moved into the back yard? Obviously their notice didn't turn out too well for them.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

When Gus said he had a song written for Fiona, I expected that he was going to call her out on being a slut; I was surprised that it took so long for him to get to that point though. I can't remember what episode it was (season five blends together for me), but I recall seeing Gus in the background at least once while Fiona was with Sean somewhere.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Hey thread! I did a whole binge watching of this show during the holidays and I'm completely hooked. I'm honestly surprised this show doesn't have as much of a following because it's hilarious. I also read they got the greenlight for a season 7!

Pretty much agree with everyone about diner guy being boring and Carl being awesome. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Fuckin' FIONA

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

Most of what happens in this show doesn't jive with any sort of reality it's quite jarring, it's like the writers are familiar with concepts but have no idea of how any of it actually works its kinda jarring, like pretty much everything to do with Lip's college payment experience.

No way. Kids these days totally sell guns in bathroom stalls at school and have sex with each other in the stalls while another kid pees in the sink.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Whether Fiona's story is a high point or a low point for any given season (though I've really appreciated how the last few have had her spinning out of control) it's loving criminal Emmy Rossum doesn't have like at least 3 Emmys for her work on this show. They should have classified it as a drama from the beginning.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Gonna need a gif of that flaming wheelchair

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I foresee Fiona loving up having 100 grand because she couldn't buy the house and Frank is a giant shameless piece of poo poo per usual. Poor Yanis

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I couldn't stand Carl in any of the previous seasons, but I see why he's so popular in these threads now.
I do feel like Frank being totally fine after 1-2 seasons of dying from liver failure/transplant is a bit jarring, but I guess with TV series, you have to end certain story lines at a point.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

well at the same time how different is Frank, really? I would say the only reason he is even so "healthy" is because of the fact that he is actually being surprisingly strict with his alcohol limitation, but that's probably because he's Frank and he won't let himself die just because he drank two beers instead of one, that's not the Gallagher way

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
The wife and I were talking about the show today. Honestly Fiona isn't that much a slut. As far as we have seen she has only been with four people in six or more years. (years.in the show) There was the cop, Steve /Jimmy , Gus and the dinner guy. Granted the lack of protection is bad.

I'm surprized that Carl hasn't taken down the Lisa's

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

joebuddah posted:

The wife and I were talking about the show today. Honestly Fiona isn't that much a slut. As far as we have seen she has only been with four people in six or more years. (years.in the show) There was the cop, Steve /Jimmy , Gus and the dinner guy. Granted the lack of protection is bad.

I'm surprized that Carl hasn't taken down the Lisa's

Also the guy from Worldwide Cup, and his brother. The issue, I think, comes from how often those interactions overlap.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That conferance lecture scene was super uncomfortable to watch.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ShakeZula posted:

Also the guy from Worldwide Cup, and his brother. The issue, I think, comes from how often those interactions overlap.

Also Adam, that wall street banker guy she cheated on with Jimmy on the dinner.

Also the married guy whose wife went on the warpath against Fiona after that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I only just got the Number 1 and Number 2 joke :downs:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I only just got the Number 1 and Number 2 joke :downs:

I'm kinda disappointed that the gentrification plotline is just barely passing by in the house plotline while "haha hipsters" poop jokes gets loads of screentime. :sigh:

Carl plotline still going strong at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I forgot all about the cup guys.

• Locked thread