Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What? If he actually dropped out it would have been a way bigger deal. Unfortunately kids get sent to the hospital for alcohol poisoning all the time, it's not something that gets you kicked out of school or makes you want to drop out. He's a busride away from home and I'm assuming it's the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

He might be done with the sorority and looking for a place to crash. He's also likely hurting from the $2000 medical bill and might be looking to scam some money (not off his family, just in the neighborhood).

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

GobiasIndustries posted:

I got the opposite feeling honestly, it seemed like she was more of a one-off thing...I think Lip might not get a happy ending here. His reaction to the girl calling an ambulance for him wasn't what you'd hope for re: admitting he's got a drinking problem. Since he doesn't have a car with which to get into a drunk accident, there doesn't seem to be much else he could do that'd wake him up to the fact that he's got a serious problem apart from getting kicked out of school which'd probably just spiral him deeper.

I'm frank(heh)ly tired of seeing Lip have everything handed to him and doing no wrong. I want him to majorly gently caress up, or else do something remotely interesting besides bewitching co-eds with his Magical Dick.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I'm surprised Lip's school doesn't require him to have health insurance.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

nooneofconsequence posted:

IMMERSION BROKEN.

Never you mind
Jun 5, 2010

nooneofconsequence posted:

They would. Full time students are all required to have insurance (although technically, isn't everyone in the US required to have coverage or pay a fine now?). At a lot of large schools, including the real U Chicago, students are automatically insured and charged for coverage as part of their fees. To opt out you have to show proof that you are already insured. Lip is a scholarship student and the cost would be included in his annual budget when determining financial aid. He'd have a copay for the ambulance and treatment, not a 2k bill.

I'm being nitpicky, but this is actually an interesting difference between how he grew up (where medical care was something to be feared because no one can pay for it) and being in college (where he has a safety net provided by his student status). They could make something out of that contrast. A lot of things that the show elides, skips, or forgets about are actually things that could work to their advantage with a little effort.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Awww :) these recent episodes have realized what is best about the show - the Gallaghers interacting with eachother without fighting eachother, and that is great.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I mean, I was definitely very :unsmith: about Sean and Fiona, but did anyone think it seemed a little too unrealistic? He might still lose custody of his kid because of her and seemed super pissed, and now he goes and proposes and spends $4k on her?

The Gallaghers, maybe Debbie aside, have some ridiculous luck.

Frank gets a new liver for free, and basically is impervious to death and can dodge bullets like a super hero?
Fiona hasn't lost the house, or her boyfriend/fiancé, or the kids, or her mind
Lip has a magic golden dick/brain
Ian isn't as lucky as the rest, but he did get out of crashing an army helicopter with a slap on the wrist
Carl escaped life as a gun/drug dealer slave, found the girl of his dreams who banged him before they even had a first date
Liam isn't brain dead from snorting a mountain of coke at like 4 years old

I know, I know, suspension of disbelief blah blah, but the crazy has been cranked up a little this season.

At the end of the day, I agree that this show is best when the Gallaghers (and both Milkoviches, V + Kev + Svetlana) are all working together against outside obstacles rather than fighting each other.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 15, 2016

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Reinanigans posted:

The Gallaghers, maybe Debbie aside, have some ridiculous luck.

Frank gets a new liver for free, and basically is impervious to death and can dodge bullets like a super hero?

The others I will agree are getting a little out of hand but the beginning scene with Frank running from the shooters reminded me of the "drive-by" scene from The Wire, although I'm on my phone and can't post it. Anyone able to do the needful?

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

I just can't wait to see Svetlana and V as a married couple!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Reinanigans posted:

It doesn't take superhuman powers to run from Mac 10 fire, those things are probably inaccurate as hell. Plus, you know, plot armor in a comedy-drama show. Frank's not going to get shot down in a hail of gunfire and die in the first ten minutes of an episode.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

Frank's not going to get shot down in a hail of gunfire and die in the first ten minutes of an episode.

It would be a vast improvement.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Liked this episode a lot more than the previous one but that ending was an eyeroller.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

God drat Veronica is so hot.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
That Bachelorette party was hilarious.
Decent episode.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
More Carl please. Glad to see lip is finally having to eat poo poo for once in his life.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I really wish they'd update the opening credits.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

More Carl please. Glad to see lip is finally having to eat poo poo for once in his life.

Yeah honest to god, finally!

Can't wait to see how they gently caress it up in the next episode.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I really wish they'd update the opening credits.

Me too. It's weird only a handful of the actual cast is in it and they're all so different now!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
You don't like seeing jimmys rear end?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Is Lip in his third semester? He had a bad first at-least-half of his first semester, and while I've had professors who would do things like make your final exam grade be your final grade if it was higher than your earlier ones, GPAs are generally way easier to bring down than up.

I probably shouldn't be worrying too much about the logic of this.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Lip's carrying a B and a C from his first semester so I don't know why they needed to make up another story about him being uber smart but drat those tenured professor's :arghfist: to justify a gpa which he probably wouldn't be able to reach anyway.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Not Today Satan posted:

Me too. It's weird only a handful of the actual cast is in it and they're all so different now!

The only person in the credits not in the cast currently is Jimmy and we don't see anything but his naked rear end so it could literally be anybody's naked rear end.

But yeah Ian, Debbie and especially Liam are a lot different now that they've grown up. And Kevin hasn't had hair in a few seasons now.

Xoidanor posted:

Yeah honest to god, finally!

Can't wait to see how they gently caress it up in the next episode.

He'll stick his magical dick in the English professor again and get a full pardon without having to get involved in rehab, and every sorority girl will throw themselves pussy-first at him while he works on the novel that will get him tenure.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

oh good, Debbie had the baby (why not go with Francine if you're going for a female sounding name similar to Frank) finally.

Glad Lip is "facing reality" as it were but I find it hilarious that he threw the paper in his prof's face because that poo poo is pretty normal in academics or, really, anywhere in the world.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Holyshoot posted:

You don't like seeing jimmys rear end?

It reminds me that he isn't around any more, and that makes me sad.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That midwife was aces.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Aces High posted:

Glad Lip is "facing reality" as it were but I find it hilarious that he threw the paper in his prof's face because that poo poo is pretty normal in academics or, really, anywhere in the world.

That's how a lot of alcoholics/addicts act, it's unfortunately real of him to lash out at everyone no matter what. Denial's a bitch.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Good episode. The strip club scene was great, I like Carl wanting to be a cop now, and hopefully the commune poo poo is over save for whatever happens after the opium farm shootout.

I don't know if anyone has ever mentioned this but I really like the opening recap of the previous episode, where the characters insult and cuss out the viewer (though this episode's bit weak). It makes feel like a part of their neighborhood! Why yes, I am a shitheel for missing an episode.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

God drat Veronica is so hot.

Yeah she is.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I've been thinking I was sure I'd seen Carl express his desire to be a cop before and them handling this in an episode until I realized I was confusing him with fellow sitcom psychopath Shane from Weeds.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I hope Carl doesn't become a Herc or a Colicchio when he becomes a cop and instead tries to be more of a Sydnor or Carver :v:

Maybe he could be a McNulty, the Gallaghers are already a hosed up bunch at all levels

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

What the gently caress did I do?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Did anyone else notice that the Chicago cop guy looks like the dad from Family Matters, AND his name is also Winslow? lol

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Did anyone else notice that the Chicago cop guy looks like the dad from Family Matters, AND his name is also Winslow? lol

YES! It was cracking me up!

Poor Ian, him lying on his application is probably going to come back and bite him in the rear end. :(

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Not Today Satan posted:

YES! It was cracking me up!

Poor Ian, him lying on his application is probably going to come back and bite him in the rear end. :(

Yeah that came back faster than I assumed.

Lip :doh:

dat baby drop :stare:

Frank hiring a hitman :stonk:

Kev :allears:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Yeah that came back faster than I assumed.

Lip :doh:

dat baby drop :stare:

Frank hiring a hitman :stonk:

Kev :allears:

Hhahah yess. Great episode. My reactions completely to this episode. I really hope they don't go down the route and murder Fionas Husband :(. Can he accidentally kill Deb instead?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Man, Carl accidentally killing Frank would have been a great way for him to go.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

God, Kev was hilarious and totally saved the episode from being a total downer. Not that it was bad it was just sad to see everyone falling apart so close to happiness. But yeah doesn't matter because that stinger was fantastic.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
This show is in such fine form, it's without a doubt its best season yet. Like many I'm not a huge fan of Sean or Debbie but these storylines are starting to come together really well.

Mostly I'm really happy to watch Shameless on a weekly basis, this season moves forward in time really fast and so much stuff is happening. I really enjoy my time with the Gallaghers but it wouldnt be the same if I could binge through 4 episodes a night.

Never you mind
Jun 5, 2010
I still enjoy the characters and the acting but haven't been enjoying the season too much. The "Gallaghers get close to happiness and then gently caress it up" has become too repetitive over the course of the show, especially as the writers seem committed to a Seinfeld-like "no learning" policy so that stuff happens, characters go through ordeals, and then stuff reverses and brings characters back to square one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

White Rabbit posted:

This show is in such fine form, it's without a doubt its best season yet. Like many I'm not a huge fan of Sean or Debbie but these storylines are starting to come together really well.

Mostly I'm really happy to watch Shameless on a weekly basis, this season moves forward in time really fast and so much stuff is happening. I really enjoy my time with the Gallaghers but it wouldnt be the same if I could binge through 4 episodes a night.

I would call this by far the worst season. But it's still enjoyable.

• Locked thread