Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I watched the episode again with headphones on and it really sounds like Yashiro is whispering right up in your ear on that last line in the intro. Really creepy, since I imagine it's suppose to be him sitting in Satoru's hospital room telling him the story while he's comatose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Moldy Taxes posted:

I watched the episode again with headphones on and it really sounds like Yashiro is whispering right up in your ear on that last line in the intro. Really creepy, since I imagine it's suppose to be him sitting in Satoru's hospital room telling him the story while he's comatose.

:stare:

Is it Thursday yet? I want it to be Thursday now.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Moldy Taxes posted:

He's such a cheesy showboat.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
IIRC, the Spider Thread story as I remember it in lit class was that the Buddha took pity and lowered the thread, but once he saw the guy kicking the other people below him out of fear the thread would break, he let go of the thread and they all tumbled back into hell.

In the manga, our villain here takes on a strange meaning to this act in that he looks at the Buddha as instigating the incident, dropping down the thread when he knows the result from the start. The whole thing then turns into a weird chicken-or-egg thing in regards to the true culprit/sinner.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So he sees the thread as a symbol of temptation from a cruel god? Interesting.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

:stare:

Is it Thursday yet? I want it to be Thursday now.
I'm so torn this week. I've been anxiously awaiting Thursdays for this show's entire run, but I don't want it to be over!

There Bias Two posted:

So he sees the thread as a symbol of temptation from a cruel god? Interesting.
Good analogy for posting in ADTRW as well.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

esselfortium posted:

The anime gods are just and kind!!!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The anime gods have not given us a Haruhi S3.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

esselfortium posted:

I'm so torn this week. I've been anxiously awaiting Thursdays for this show's entire run, but I don't want it to be over!

Maybe he's just trying to murder future E/N posters?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Phobophilia posted:

Good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Phobophilia posted:

Faith, my friends. God will provide.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I always thought the thread meant he could be saved but it'd be like from the frying pan to the fire scenario. It's still a perilous situation and the owner of the thread is just a indifferent god who may or may not be thoughtful for that one moment.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

I thought the point of the parable was that the god tested the sinner, who had once done something noble, to see if the sinner would do another noble thing - allow other people to be saved as well. But since the sinner was selfish and tried to kick the others off the thread and wanted salvation only to himself, he was condemned.

So basically completely the opposite of the hamster thing

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

My heart hurts and I am very tired.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
It's there one more episode or is that it?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

That's it fellas

While I wasn't too keen on the coma and memory loss bits from last week, it wrapped up really nicely.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

SalTheBard posted:

It's there one more episode or is that it?

If you've watched episode 12 it's quite clearly a final episode. It's over and done.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

literally the only issue I had with the final episode was that they didn't use the best line in the manga where Satoru asks Yashiro if he believes that he's gone through life three times already, or at least it was only partially included or subbed badly.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Very content with how that all wrapped up.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

The Black Stones posted:

If you've watched episode 12 it's quite clearly a final episode. It's over and done.

I watched episode 12, I just felt like there should be more. It was good none the less I really enjoyed it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah, they stuck the landing. Great show. I loved the Revival Butterfly leading Satoru back to Airi.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

So how did this differ from the manga ending?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this was a good anim

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Pretty good. Would've liked it to be a bit, well, "more" but still had a very nice ending and stuff. I think I got overhype for it, but great stuff. Did I understand the thing right in that The Town Without Him was his treasure because it meant all those friends he made were true and kept living and growing for his sake even when he couldn't do stuff for them, which contrasts with the teacher in that the "town" for him was Satoru, whom he was overwhelmingly controlling of and thus he'd receive no love from?
I think that ultimately this anime is a 9/10 and I just get bummed thinking of the stuff that makes up the -1 that stands in the way of this being a perfect story in my eyes.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So...they were all so excited about catching the bad guy that they forgot to disconnect the little girl from the poisoned IV. Satoru gets imprisoned for murdering a child.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Interesting that they never showed what happened to Yuki. Really enjoyed this, though I think they made a pacing mistake for the last couple of episodes, having to have an anime original ending isn't the greatest thing. Kenya and Satoru's mom were such great characters, though I wish Satoru's mom had played a bigger role in the past.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

There Bias Two posted:

So...they were all so excited about catching the bad guy that they forgot to disconnect the little girl from the poisoned IV. Satoru gets imprisoned for murdering a child.

They mentioned that they were prepared for that and made sure it didn't happen.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Shakugan posted:

Interesting that they never showed what happened to Yuki.

Nah, they showed him off a little before the end. He got married and had a kid and all that. Still probably works with the food truck stuff whatever his dad did?

Also I kind of like...the ending was a little lost on me. What really was so significant about Airi again? I mean in this timeline they have no real connection so

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Amazing tie up of all the plots and themes throughout the show. It's hard to imagine this not being AotY.

E:

Gyra_Solune posted:

Also I kind of like...the ending was a little lost on me. What really was so significant about Airi again? I mean in this timeline they have no real connection so

I'm taking the butterfly as the universe being like "yo bro good job fixing stuff here's the only person who believed in you from the first timeline back in your life again" since that was a huge theme of the show and the final episode. I think we're supposed to 'believe' that they will reestablish their connection.

Yawgmoft fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 24, 2016

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I thought the ending was pretty cheesy, but it was in line with how the rest of the series was. Nicely fitting.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

I thought the ending was pretty cheesy, but it was in line with how the rest of the series was. Nicely fitting.

You're cheesy

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

littleorv posted:

You're cheesy

:blush:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

Nah, they showed him off a little before the end. He got married and had a kid and all that. Still probably works with the food truck stuff whatever his dad did?

Apparently in the manga she shows up in the hospital when he's woken up from his coma but they didn't animate that part

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Gyra_Solune posted:

Satoru's got ALL his memories back, including the other timelines, so from his perspective he remembers her saving him from the cops, him saving her from the fire, and how much it hurt her that she'd inadvertently betrayed him. That's a pretty strong connection on his end, and you can see it in how he nearly tears up as he realizes it's her.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

jng2058 posted:

Satoru's got ALL his memories back, including the other timelines, so from his perspective he remembers her saving him from the cops, him saving her from the fire, and how much it hurt her that she'd inadvertently betrayed him. That's a pretty strong connection on his end, and you can see it in how he nearly tears up as he realizes it's her.

Also this, yeah.

Was the girl that showed up to drink with the group and caused Satoru to blush supposed to be bully laxative girl?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

El Burbo posted:

Also this, yeah.

Was the girl that showed up to drink with the group and caused Satoru to blush supposed to be bully laxative girl?

I thought it was pretty obvious. I dunno if he blushed because of that, since it seemed to me like he was just redfaced from drinking.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

El Burbo posted:

Also this, yeah.

Took me a while to get that, but yeah, it was her, thus fitting the whole group.

Decided to check the final chapter of the manga, and there's a whole other character here, Satoru casually aced what would be the equivalent of a GED i suppose and the bit of his work being adapted into an anime ended up being a surprise that'd lead to a party. I really should read the manga instead of having seen the anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Apparently the live-action movie has yet another original ending, so there are lots of different ways to wrap this story up!

• Locked thread