Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Now that it's done, what were the significance of the red eyes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Modus Pwnens posted:

Seems to just be Murderous Intent.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Modus Pwnens posted:

Given that totally innocent characters like Kenya and that journalist character get them, I'm thinking they're there to encourage suspicion and alienation on the part of the audience. So, kind of like a red herring, but more central to the story's themes of building connections in a broken, paranoid world. Note how Yashiro loses his as his mask breaks and we're encouraged to view him as a lonely, broken person rather than some sort of incarnate demon.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Modus Pwnens posted:

nothing, they just looked cool. it's the same with the spider threads.

i mean people are free to read into them but the latter especially comes off as just a cool visual metaphor in the manga.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

OST is out and it's quite nice.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

nothing, they just looked cool. it's the same with the spider threads.

i mean people are free to read into them but the latter especially comes off as just a cool visual metaphor in the manga.

You may want to check your definition of 'metaphor' there.

Hint - if something means nothing, it's not a metaphor.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Overall, I really enjoyed this. Can anyone recommend something "similar"? I won't precisely define similar, because there are many aspects of the show that I enjoyed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shakugan posted:

Overall, I really enjoyed this. Can anyone recommend something "similar"? I won't precisely define similar, because there are many aspects of the show that I enjoyed.

Steins;Gate is a similarly character-focused show with time-travel elements. Monster is a similarly atmospheric, eerie show about tracking a nigh-inhumanly cunning serial killer.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

"Another" has the creeping dread and tension with a mystery to figure out as well.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

jng2058 posted:

"Another" has the creeping dread and tension with a mystery to figure out as well.

But it also had a terrible ending.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

jng2058 posted:

Another is a comedy show by the end.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

jng2058 posted:

it's also loving comically ridiculous

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Got kinda choked up along with Satoru at the very end there. Very good show, this one. Brought a new best mom in anime to the stage.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

You may want to check your definition of 'metaphor' there.

Hint - if something means nothing, it's not a metaphor.

okay, the thread is a visual representation of a person's life. it's just used so there can be a badass panel of scissors cutting it when Gaku kills somebody

your post doesn't read very pleasantly, btw

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

okay, the thread is a visual representation of a person's life. it's just used so there can be a badass panel of scissors cutting it when Gaku kills somebody

your post doesn't read very pleasantly, btw

Sorry, it's just that yours felt slightly dismissive. No harm, or do we need to go back in time a few minutes to fix this?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Sorry, it's just that yours felt slightly dismissive. No harm, or do we need to go back in time a few minutes to fix this?

Revivals are involuntary, but no it's fine

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Great show. That was a trip watching it week by week.

I thought the ending was well done. The only thing I still had questions about is what about all the people he saved with revival before like the kid in the first episode?

I guess we're supposed to figure this timeline was better since the teacher doesn't kill anyone during the 15 years

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

This show is :perfect:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

This show is :perfect:

:yeah:

I can't believe how much I enjoyed this anime. I guess judging by the responses i'm glad to have not read the manga, although I might now.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

nnneeeoooowwww

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Anyway, this show was really super good and I'm glad it exists.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I liked it and added to my list of anime for '16.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Decided to check the final chapter of the manga, and there's a whole other character here, Satoru casually aced what would be the equivalent of a GED i suppose and the bit of his work being adapted into an anime ended up being a surprise that'd lead to a party. I really should read the manga instead of having seen the anime.
Why not enjoy both? The anime ended really well and now you can experience another (supposedly) good ending to a great series.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yashiro's really lost his edge over the last 15 years. He went out like a chump. Otherwise, the show ended elegantly.

I noticed a Senkou no Night Raid and an Occult Academy cameo, was there also a Sora no Woto shout out in there as well?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Shakugan posted:

I've been enjoying the manga "Mayonaka no X Giten" quite a bit. Both of them are murder mysteries with mild-moderate supernatural elements, but with very different tones. Still, it's pretty good and hits some of the same notes for me.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I'm not sure what to make of this ending. I enjoyed all the epilogue stuff, but the conclusion of the rooftop confrontation made very little sense to me. The rest of the show was so fantastic that I've been trying to give it the benefit of the doubt and make sense of it instead of just writing it off, but it's not really doing it for me.

On the one hand, I guess it's thematically appropriate in a show about trust for the finale to be a massive leap of faith, but it was very uncharacteristically cartoonish, in a way that I had a hard time taking seriously. And yet it seemed almost like it was actively intentionally trying to give that impression, with the landing and Satoru's knowing wink. So I don't know what to make of that. I guess such a cheesy plan kind of fits with a story about someone who aspired to be a superhero and never got to truly grow up, but it still felt really out of place and inappropriate to me. Not to mention the question of how Satoru and his friends were able to predict events enough to set any of this up, and Satoru's nerves of steel while dangling off the edge in the midst of his crazy life-or-death gamble.

So even with the possible thematic significance in there, I think I like the idea of the ending more than the ending itself. The show was so strong for the rest of its run that probably the lowest score I could possibly give it is a 9/10, but I can't deny I'm disappointed by this ending.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
To be fair, he had his friends listening in long enough to know they were going to go with roof related deaths.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Yawgmoft posted:

To be fair, he had his friends listening in long enough to know they were going to go with roof related deaths.

Sure, but for him to speed across the roof like that and dangle from the edge as calmly as he did, I feel like he'd have to have a hell of a lot more than just a blind-faith assumption that his friends would somehow know to have a cushion there to catch him. And especially with the corny wink at the end it comes across like this was somehow all completely planned in advance, but I just can't envision how that would even be possible.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

esselfortium posted:

Sure, but for him to speed across the roof like that and dangle from the edge as calmly as he did, I feel like he'd have to have a hell of a lot more than just a blind-faith assumption that his friends would somehow know to have a cushion there to catch him. And especially with the corny wink at the end it comes across like this was somehow all completely planned in advance, but I just can't envision how that would even be possible.

I assumed the shot of the roof gate swinging open in the beginning of the episode meant that both he and his friends knew where he was going to jump off and could prepare that beforehand.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Strange Quark posted:

I assumed the shot of the roof gate swinging open in the beginning of the episode meant that both he and his friends knew where he was going to jump off and could prepare that beforehand.

That makes sense and I had forgotten about that detail. During the episode, I was definitely expecting the swinging gate to be foreshadowing some sort of setup involving Satoru's friends. But I still just don't get how they expected any of this to take place on the roof in the first place. If they somehow knew that in advance, then the whole plan becomes a bit more plausible, although still silly.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Overlord K posted:

Got kinda choked up along with Satoru at the very end there. Very good show, this one. Brought a new best mom in anime to the stage.

I teared up too.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

esselfortium posted:

That makes sense and I had forgotten about that detail. During the episode, I was definitely expecting the swinging gate to be foreshadowing some sort of setup involving Satoru's friends. But I still just don't get how they expected any of this to take place on the roof in the first place. If they somehow knew that in advance, then the whole plan becomes a bit more plausible, although still silly.

i'd guess they determined it would be the roof simply cause there's nowhere else he could quietly take satoru to kill him without anyone noticing

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They decided it would be the roof because Satoru is a big anime fan and knows that anything interesting always takes place there.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

one thing that his confidence the plan would work out might have been very subtlely showing is that in the manga he actually goes through hospital arc twice, with the revival happening after he's regained his memories and learned of Yashiro's next plans. So he already has all the cards in his hands on the third revival and just has to carry it all out which culminates in a much better last dialogue between the two in my opinion.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Futaba Anzu posted:

one thing that his confidence the plan would work out might have been very subtlely showing is that in the manga he actually goes through hospital arc twice, with the revival happening after he's regained his memories and learned of Yashiro's next plans. So he already has all the cards in his hands on the third revival and just has to carry it all out which culminates in a much better last dialogue between the two in my opinion.

Oh yeah, that would really change things. It would've been great if they had hinted at that somehow. As-is, though, I don't think there's much to support it in the show.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Shakugan posted:

I'd personally recommend anything by Urasawa Naoki. Though most of its still in manga form, Monster did get an anime.
I really wish 20th Century Boys would get an anime.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I kinda like him not going through a final revival. It's nice that Satoru finally learned to have complete confidence in his friends and his ability to be a hero rather than "I already know everything since I messed up enough do overs".

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Yawgmoft posted:

I kinda like him not going through a final revival. It's nice that Satoru finally learned to have complete confidence in his friends and his ability to be a hero rather than "I already know everything since I messed up enough do overs".

Yeah, I was actually cringing at the thought he'd get another revival as he was falling off the roof or something. The way it actually ended stretched my suspension of disbelief a little, but was better in terms of the story it was trying to tell with that essay he read at the end.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

e: wrong info, my bad?

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

dogsicle posted:

the final revival in the manga isn't actually shown, fwiw. it follows Satoru through all the hospital stuff to his final confrontation with Gaku (which, in the manga, is at a hospital sponsored festival sorta in the wilderness). Gaku's plan was set up in such a way to make Satoru only able to either save Kumi or confront him, but not both. so Satoru explains Revival to Gaku and reveals that he had already seen his plan acted out and presumably had a Revival after.

but i would agree with the complaint that it's a cheap way to resolve everything.

I think you've misinterpreted the manga somewhere. In the final chapter Satoru explains he never again experienced a revival after waking from the coma. There's no hidden revival anywhere, as far as I can tell. The closest thing I can think of is when Satoru is on the bridge and tells Yashiro "This is my second 2005", which includes the one before he ever jumps back (because that was in 2006) and the current timeline. Unless I'm the one reading it wrong.

• Locked thread