Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Redmark posted:

My impression (having not read the manga) was that her death just triggers the realization that his relationship with his mother was more distant than he would like in retrospect.
I got the impression that he realized that he'd forgotten just how much his mother had meant to him and that he'd never really shown her appreciation once he grew up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

the stuff in the second episode about performance especially in the context of a fantasy/memory/"film" was really interesting to me. shades of hitchcock/lynch. i like how they used/kept a different aspect ratio for it. the use of the film stock animation is a little on the nose though.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Eh... "Did you notice? Kenya has red eyes just like the killer!" wouldn't really work in a manga, right?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
New trailer out for the live-action movie version:

*** CONTAINS SPOILERS, VIEW AT YOUR OWN RISK ***

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCio_qEdkMM

*** CONTAINS SPOILERS, VIEW AT YOUR OWN RISK ***

Anyway, it seems to have a slightly different feel from the anime.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That looks pretty good. I'll watch that version too when it's out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
We still chewing through the manga chapters at a decent clip?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

We still chewing through the manga chapters at a decent clip?

It's slowed down. Ep 1 covered all of vol 1 (194 pages), while ep 2 covered only 68 pages of vol 2.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Satoru's mum is awesome and I hope she uses her youkai powers to beat up Hinazuki's mum at the birthday party.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

It's cool how Satoru's inner monologue overlaps with his voice when he forgets to keep a thought to himself.

My gut says that Kenya might have something like the same power as Satoru. I hope he's not a bad guy because I like him.

I agree on both these things. Kenya is being way too on point to be an ordinary kid and his line about how important Satoru's interest in Hinazuki is felt way too relevant to the time-travelling guff. I don't buy his perceptiveness or his dialogue as merely those of a smart child.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Yak of Wrath posted:

Satoru's mum is awesome and I hope she uses her youkai powers to beat up Hinazuki's mum at the birthday party.

Satoru's mom is probably my favorite character in the series. She's just so drat sharp, it's awesome.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Thirding that Satoru's mom is great.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

darkgray posted:

It's slowed down. Ep 1 covered all of vol 1 (194 pages), while ep 2 covered only 68 pages of vol 2.

Note that the anime also cuts out a lot of bits and pieces here and there, as I've mentioned. The story in the manga starts getting a lot tighter now that we're in the past, so the relative pace is likely to slow down a lot from now on.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
It's interesting to me that Za Warudo Revival appears to be an involuntary reaction rather than a superpower. Whenever Philemon that butterfly shows up, bam, we time traveling.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The butterfly indicator is a good addition.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Another good episode this week, but again they only covered 80ish pages, which means we're still not out of volume 2. There'll be some mad rushing to make it through the remaining 6 volumes in 8 or so episodes. Bit worrying, but they seem to know what they're doing so far.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Geez, the way they're presenting Kenya is so obvious that it must be a red herring.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

hmm, never mind

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm pretty hooked on this, it's great. I almost want to just read the manga right now to carry on with it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Scans for the manga aren't caught up to the current chapters anyways, they're like 6 chapters behind, so might not be a great idea. That said, the manga's great.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

yeah this show is on a roll. worried that they can stick the landing though.

the sound design during the more unsettling moments really adds to the atmosphere. still getting some lynch/twin peaks vibes from it esp in re: abuse i really like the way they're selectively presenting or withholding information and how it ties into the memory aspect of it. that ending was rly beautiful

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
This show is so incredibly good. Totally blown away so far, I'm so impatient to see the rest.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Strange Quark posted:

Geez, the way they're presenting Kenya is so obvious that it must be a red herring.

Well, it's obvious there's something up with him but I don't think it's obvious he's aligned with the villain. Maybe he's just weird and/or has his own supernatural poo poo going on :shrug:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

esselfortium posted:

This show is so incredibly good. Totally blown away so far, I'm so impatient to see the rest.

Same.

But, it might give me an ulcer before we get there.

e:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 22, 2016

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Just echoing everybody else here, but... Fuuuuck, this show is good. Easily best of the season for me.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Redmark posted:

Well, it's obvious there's something up with him but I don't think it's obvious he's aligned with the villain. Maybe he's just weird and/or has his own supernatural poo poo going on :shrug:

I dunno, that last scene is pretty suggestive, and who else would know how old all the kids are if not a teacher?

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Oh, was that Kenya at the end? I couldn't tell - if anything I thought it was Kayo's mom, and that she was somehow up to no good with the teacher guy.

Kenya strikes me as like...I could understand if he didn't have anything special going on, and he's really just perceptive. Like obviously a twenty-nine year old guy isn't going to know exactly how he acted as a kid and Kenya's picking up on sudden changes, namely Satoru's getting more involved and focused and determined. Or at the very least, it's plain to see he's acting a little bit suspiciously, and Kenya just wants to know what's up.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Blonde hair always means evil.

Unless it's a Super Saiyan or a woman, in which case it's a tossup.

Speaking of which, I'm going to be SSJ4 platinum mad if Kayo gets killed after all of this.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Vengarr posted:

Speaking of which, I'm going to be SSJ4 platinum mad if Kayo gets killed after all of this.
I have a feeling this will actually happen and it'll lead to a time loop situation where he keeps traveling back until the mystery is solved. That's the vibe I'm feeling at least.

Edit: That reminds me, the foreshadowing of his time jumps leading to negative or plus-minus zero outcomes for him is really unsettling now.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
That reason for not calling the drat police is loving weak.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

police don't loving care, deal with your stupid bullshit by yourself

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Reds posted:

That reason for not calling the drat police is loving weak.

Oh the wonders of Showa Japan...

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Zettace posted:

I have a feeling this will actually happen and it'll lead to a time loop situation where he keeps traveling back until the mystery is solved. That's the vibe I'm feeling at least.

Edit: That reminds me, the foreshadowing of his time jumps leading to negative or plus-minus zero outcomes for him is really unsettling now.

Ahhhh dammit. I forgot about that. I really hope it's not a time loop thing, Higurashi did that to death.

It does seem like his odds of success are pretty poor right now though. He has no idea who the culprit is and no real plan beyond "well she won't get kidnapped if she isn't at that exact spot that day" which...I dunno about that one bro.

I mean poo poo, best case scenario here--the killer just goes "eh, too much like work" and goes hunting for a different child to murderrape. That's not really a happy ending.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Vengarr posted:

Ahhhh dammit. I forgot about that. I really hope it's not a time loop thing, Higurashi did that to death.

It does seem like his odds of success are pretty poor right now though. He has no idea who the culprit is and no real plan beyond "well she won't get kidnapped if she isn't at that exact spot that day" which...I dunno about that one bro.

I mean poo poo, best case scenario here--the killer just goes "eh, too much like work" and goes hunting for a different child to murderrape. That's not really a happy ending.

Yeah that whole thing with the three kids missing (and the fourth who we saw, and also probably being the guy who killed his mom) implies it's not just saving this one girl, it's actually catching the one responsible for all this and saving not just those five, but also Yuuki. He only has half of those as his priority, and I don't know if he even sees where some of them are connected either.

Kayo's lovely parents are just that - lovely parents. They have super little to do with actually kidnapping kids, I presume - but it's not too much of a stretch to say the kidnapper took in runaways and the like. Guy's probably going to focus too much on the lovely parents and miss out on the actual reason he's there.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I wonder how they'll tie back the present day to the story. I mean Airi seems too important of a character to not show up again since she's even in the anime's main poster (unless I'm mistaken).

Will the entire story take place in this elementary school past or will it return to the present mid way through? (Don't answer this question manga readers) Will we return to the future and see the consequences if he fucks up? Just one of the many things this show has me thinking about.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean answering that question would be pretty dumb considering this is the ANIME ONLY THREAD

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
My prediction: Anime Scott Bakula's goal is to prevent Yuuki's execution, but Kayo's still going to be murdered, after getting the audience to really care for her. Otherwise, there would be no reason for Revival to trigger AFTER his mother's murder. Possible that she dies also,in 1988 this time, leaving Yuuki as the only wrong to have been righted.

What a horrible teacher. Sharing intimate details regarding a fellow student's home life like that, in a class he knows is prone to bullying , just because he believes that the 10 year old won't have a mood swing and lash out in front of the class, shouting "This is why your mother hits you" or something equally horrific to push her over the edge.

I get that schools were a LOT different in the 80's and 90's. I remember that my public elementary school music instructor literally had a box that she would lock students in when they misbehaved in class in 1994-1995, something that, as far as I know, would be absolutely unthinkable nowadays. But even so, wouldn't that be crossing a line somewhere?

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 22, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think the teacher is the kidnapper because he seems to have that vibe

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just call the loving police ugh

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Xelkelvos posted:

I think the teacher is the kidnapper because he seems to have that vibe

You think that the teacher is spinning the "DCF is going to take her and put her somewhere and you'll never see her again" rag so nobody asks questions when she disappears? Clearly, that didn't work in the previous timeline, and there was no such story for the previous two victims as far as we know.

I'm becoming curious about Kayo's mom's boyfriend, and whether or not he and Kenya are related (both being blondes- shallow assumption, I know, but...). "The sins of the father unduly burdening the son" are one of those plot lines ubiquitous in JP media, and if Boyfriend is both the pedophile and Kenya's father/older-brother, Satoru's mother might have been murdered to keep those predilections out of the spotlight.

Of course, given that the murderer seems to have attempted an abduction himself, that may be unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

You think that the teacher is spinning the "DCF is going to take her and put her somewhere and you'll never see her again" rag so nobody asks questions when she disappears? Clearly, that didn't work in the previous timeline, and there was no such story for the previous two victims as far as we know.

I'm becoming curious about Kayo's mom's boyfriend, and whether or not he and Kenya are related (both being blondes- shallow assumption, I know, but...). "The sins of the father unduly burdening the son" are one of those plot lines ubiquitous in JP media, and if Boyfriend is both the pedophile and Kenya's father/older-brother, Satoru's mother might have been murdered to keep those predilections out of the spotlight.

Of course, given that the murderer seems to have attempted an abduction himself, that may be unlikely.

Unless I forgot something, I think there's the possibility that Kayo's disappearance and the kidnappings are unrelated. Kayo may have just run away from home and just froze to death.

• Locked thread