Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

posting itt on my brand new rig :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

fault tolerant nightstand

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

eschaton posted:

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
i got a thing for little clamshell organizers that run dos. here's one of my faves:

xt compatible that runs off two AAs and has ms-dos 5 on a rom. fun for serial stuff and ethernet works with an old enough card

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

use every part of the workstation

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

eschaton posted:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
im curious, old workstation-havers: how noisy are they? are the hard drives loud?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

crusader_complex posted:

im curious, old workstation-havers: how noisy are they? are the hard drives loud?

remember that one time you heard your dad really giving it to your mom down the hall

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
My Octane is like having a jet engine on your desk. Fans running at full bore the instant you hit the power switch, etc.

moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007
R the Reply that his life was in danger

Doc Block posted:

My Octane is like having a jet engine on your desk. Fans running at full bore the instant you hit the power switch, etc.

did the hardware engineers just really not consider or care about things like variable rpm fans w/ ambient temperature sensors? it's not like they weren't making a stupidly expensive vertically integrated product

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

crusader_complex posted:

my SS20 isn't that loud relatively speaking, the first drive was but adding the second drive actually made it quieter

there's still plenty of chunka chunka noise when it's actually touching the disk though, it startled my wife because she'd forgotten what that sounds like

you can get SCSI adapters to more modern storage if you want quiet (and speed and capacity), I have a SCSISD on the way which will do a couple MB/s and let me have a lot of storage emulating several different targets each with exactly the disk geometry I want

there's also the Stratos Technology stuff which is available for SD, CF, and even loving SATA holy poo poo conversion and even supports hot swap and poo poo

and there's even a competitor to Stratos focused primarily on CF-backed SCSI emulation of specific drives, for synthesizers and samplers and (other) industrial equipment

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

moosemanmoo posted:

did the hardware engineers just really not consider or care about things like variable rpm fans w/ ambient temperature sensors? it's not like they weren't making a stupidly expensive vertically integrated product

why would you ever want it to slow down?

you didn't spend more than an engineer's annual salary on a system just to have it go slow

gotta go fast !!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

moosemanmoo posted:

The Octane weighs 54 pounds and is made of cast iron or some poo poo. SGI's engineers didn't do anything halfway.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
At work they have these big cardboard bins along the hallways that people use to throw away all their old stuffs. Usually its CRT monitors and 20 year old books. Lots of really worthless poo poo that you couldn't even give away to people anymore.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Peanut and the Gang posted:

At work they have these big cardboard bins along the hallways that people use to throw away all their old stuffs. Usually its CRT monitors and 20 year old books. Lots of really worthless poo poo that you couldn't even give away to people anymore.

A lot of cheap Chinese developers still push around MSVC 6 and care so much about performance they must use some rear end backward version of gb2312 instead of Unicode. Except it is more like a cargo cult of Russia in the Cold War as despite all the performance attention their apps are terrible in every way possible.

A lot of Chinese print tech books are simply translations of Japanese books with the same diagrams, so everything is old. The Japanese really love writing really long and quite nice technical articles, they still publish a lot of monthly magazines with oodles of detailed content it is an amazing contrast to a UK or US Linux magazine that has retarded articles about learning ls.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

moosemanmoo posted:

I seem to remember 13W3 repeaters and keyboard cable extender cables being a thing

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
I used an Ultra 60 on a daily basis for about 3 years, it was pretty loud. At the time however, everything was loud. You just kind of expected a computer to be a loud thing that helped you get work done, like a wood chipper. It wasn't uncomfortable to be around, it was actually nice in a way. the noise masked ambient conversation mumbles really well. i hear some offices pump in artificially created pink noise to produce the same effect.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

:corrupt:

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

moosemanmoo posted:

did the hardware engineers just really not consider or care about things like variable rpm fans w/ ambient temperature sensors?

lol were you born in 2000?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

moosemanmoo posted:

fuckin lomarf

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

yeah seriously, designing computers to actually be quiet is a recent development

everything used to be noisy. i miss the sound floppy drives would make when you'd boot up a computer

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
when did hard disks stop making that cool drrrrrr-dr-drrr-drdrdrdrdr sound anyway :(

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Barnyard Protein posted:

I used an Ultra 60 on a daily basis for about 3 years, it was pretty loud. At the time however, everything was loud. You just kind of expected a computer to be a loud thing that helped you get work done, like a wood chipper. It wasn't uncomfortable to be around, it was actually nice in a way. the noise masked ambient conversation mumbles really well. i hear some offices pump in artificially created pink noise to produce the same effect.

I had a SS20 and an Ultra 1, neither seemed especially loud to me at the time (2006-2007). My MicroVAX was quieter than my primary desktop at the time, too!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
its easy to make ur compy loud. put a baseball card in your case fan.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

remember back when getting online required the sound of a robot orgasm to loudly reverberate your house?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

moosemanmoo posted:

The Octane was introduced in 1997. Nobody cared about making computers quiet in 1997, especially not one that cost more than a car.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
when you spend $30k on a workstation, you want the fan blaring full speed. if the CPU drops below %100 usage ur face gets hot.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
if a loud super-expensive unix workstation seems weird, that's because you're thinking of it in the context of a home where it is weird. imagine walking into someone's kitchen and seeing a 200 liter industrial mixer, kind of the same thing. recently the line between "professional" grade and "consumer" grade computer equipment has been blurred, but it still exists in computing and other industries.

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun
my old computers are an Indy and a SGI Visual Workstation which was terrible except for the 1600x1024 monitor. it ran Windows NT 4, had "Cobalt" graphics (still made by SGI at least) and had some unified memory thing where the CPU and Cobalt could share the system RAM. it's still heavy as poo poo like any other SGI system. i forget if it was that or the O2 that came with a VRML demo of itself, where you could click around and see the internals

:eyepop:

moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007
absolutely fair points, and i do miss the dump truck transmission like sounds of old macintosh hard drives. the concept of a silent environment being helpful for work isn't exactly new though and there were viable quieter cooling options that could have been adapted from vector supercomputers

moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007
who wouldn't want to live in a world where sgi workstations were silent and cooled by refrigerated fluorinert in an illuminated waterfall???

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

SO DEMANDING posted:

yeah seriously, designing computers to actually be quiet is a recent development

everything used to be noisy. i miss the sound floppy drives would make when you'd boot up a computer

I really want to make a fanless computer because I think it would be cool. can't really justify dropping the $$$ on another expensive computer that I don't need just because it would be cool tho

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

MrMoo posted:

A lot of Chinese print tech books are simply translations of Japanese books with the same diagrams, so everything is old. The Japanese really love writing really long and quite nice technical articles, they still publish a lot of monthly magazines with oodles of detailed content it is an amazing contrast to a UK or US Linux magazine that has retarded articles about learning ls.

Its a shame that english language technical writing mostly sucks, and barely ever extends beyond the documentation :eng99:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I think the only old computer I have rn is my tandy pc-3

it's programmable

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

vodkat posted:

I really want to make a fanless computer because I think it would be cool. can't really justify dropping the $$$ on another expensive computer that I don't need just because it would be cool tho

my 486/dx 33mhz didn't have a fan or even a heatsink

the power supply was super loud, but at least it had this huge red toggle switch on it.

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

I have a SGI ATH-101 keyboard that I have no use or want for and I don't want to just throw it away, I'll send it to someone for shipping costs.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

vodkat posted:

These are probably expensive: http://airtop-pc.com

Fanless barebones systems: http://www.cappuccinopc.com/solutions/fanless_mini_pc.asp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I have one of these

the glass is cracked but it works fine

also an Apple IIe

• Locked thread