Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

use every part of the workstation

The noble Indian uses every part of the computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Citizen Tayne posted:

The noble Indian uses every part of the computer.

even the physical media optical reader?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sniep posted:

even the physical media optical reader?

Even the physical media optical reader.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I somehow wound up with a blueberry summer 2000 g3 imac. I wiped blasphemous os9 and loaded OSX.0 on it. I am experiencing pure OSX as steve intended.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I somehow wound up with a blueberry summer 2000 g3 imac. I wiped blasphemous os9 and loaded OSX.0 on it. I am experiencing pure OSX as steve intended.

with PINSTRIPES

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Pinstripes OS X was the best because you'd look away from your Mac and still see the stripes.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

SO DEMANDING posted:

yeah seriously, designing computers to actually be quiet is a recent development

everything used to be noisy. i miss the sound floppy drives would make when you'd boot up a computer

You can thank the Woz for that noise iirc. He programmed the stepper motor on the apple2 floppy to make that sound and the rest of the manufactures followed suite.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Olivil posted:

i have two half working Mac Plus (should be able to combine them) with a second drive + mouse/kb but im still not sure what i'm gonna do with them because i have no way of writing the 800k mac floppies

throw them in the trash with the rest of the garbage

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

ratbert90 posted:

You can thank the Woz for that noise iirc. He programmed the stepper motor on the apple2 floppy to make that sound and the rest of the manufactures followed suite.

probably part of the transition of computers from "look at this computer, it's serious business and you should be proud to own it" to a normal thing everyone takes for granted

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

blowfish posted:

probably part of the transition of computers from "look at this computer, it's serious business and you should be proud to own it" to a normal thing everyone takes for granted

Yeah, he did the whole thing in two weeks.

quote:

At one point it occurred to me that moving the magnetic read/ write head was like moving a heavy car. It has inertia. It’s slow to get started, but once you get it moving it rolls on its own inertia and you can push it to make it faster, and then faster yet. I decided I could probably safely accelerate the head as it crossed multiple tracks and then decelerate it to get it going slow enough not to overshoot the last track. Even if it overshot, it would read the track number it got to and then back up. I experimented and came up with a table of acceleration/ deceleration numbers for timing that worked fine. Now, instead of a click-click-click sound like the burst of a machine gun, as the head moved around it made a nice-sounding whoosh. We had the fastest floppy disk access times in the industry because of this. This sounds very complicated, I know. But it had very few parts. Making it work was incredibly hairy. It was one of those things you don’t even know is possible. You can get an idea of just how much I sweated in those two weeks.

Wozniak, Steve (2007-10-17). iWoz: Computer Geek to Cult Icon (Kindle Locations 2853-2858). W. W. Norton & Company. Kindle Edition.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

blowfish posted:

probably part of the transition of computers from "look at this computer, it's serious business and you should be proud to own it"

this is why I like old computer. even including my car, my old computers are the things I own that were the most expensive when they were new

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shaggar posted:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

Shaggar is right here. You don't want to clutter your home up with old computers it makes you seem like a nerd.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
girls like nerds

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Groove posted:

my old computers are an Indy and a SGI Visual Workstation which was terrible except for the 1600x1024 monitor. it ran Windows NT 4, had "Cobalt" graphics (still made by SGI at least) and had some unified memory thing where the CPU and Cobalt could share the system RAM. it's still heavy as poo poo like any other SGI system. i forget if it was that or the O2 that came with a VRML demo of itself, where you could click around and see the internals

:eyepop:

they figured if they put engineering into Windows NT hardware the way they did their proprietary unix stuff, they could sell Windows NT at the prices the old machines commanded.

result: a $15,000 windows NT workstation that performs about as well as a $5,000 system with a wildcat card in it

this sold exactly as well as you think it did

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Pham Nuwen posted:

adm-3a terminal connected to my pc and playing some sort of mud iirc:

how did you hook a current loop terminal up to a modern pc

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

The_Groove posted:

my old computers are an Indy and a SGI Visual Workstation which was terrible except for the 1600x1024 monitor. it ran Windows NT 4, had "Cobalt" graphics (still made by SGI at least) and had some unified memory thing where the CPU and Cobalt could share the system RAM. it's still heavy as poo poo like any other SGI system. i forget if it was that or the O2 that came with a VRML demo of itself, where you could click around and see the internals

:eyepop:

from the

design school

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sniep posted:

from the

design school

hey i had something that looked like that. it was amd tho. couldn't run ultrahle very good

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Sniep posted:

from the

design school

flashbacks of my stepdad yelling at me to get off the phone line, he needs to send a fax "god drat it"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sniep posted:

from the

design school

yes they are both from 1999 go figure

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how did you hook a current loop terminal up to a modern pc

ADM-3A can do RS-232C or 20mA current loop.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

ADM-3A can do RS-232C or 20mA current loop.

Yep, I used RS-232.

The CRT in there was kind of hosed in that it gave off a really loud whine. After 30 minutes of use I'd get a headache and watery eyes. I gave it to an old guy who couldn't hear high frequencies anymore

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Olivil posted:

i have two half working Mac Plus (should be able to combine them) with a second drive + mouse/kb but im still not sure what i'm gonna do with them because i have no way of writing the 800k mac floppies

i can see if hsc still has this if you want

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they figured if they put engineering into Windows NT hardware the way they did their proprietary unix stuff, they could sell Windows NT at the prices the old machines commanded.

result: a $15,000 windows NT workstation that performs about as well as a $5,000 system with a wildcat card in it

Kinda. It was mostly the fault of "Chainsaw" Rick Belluzzo, who gutted HP's propriety Unix and CPU development, then went to SGI and did the same thing, both times in favor of Windows NT boxes running on Intel CPUs (Itanium, LOL). He then went on to work at Microsoft, which wasn't fishy at all, no sir.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 19, 2016

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Raluek posted:

i can see if hsc still has this if you want

if you happen to be close-by yeah that would be nice

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

and they did this after a few other vendors had already tried and failed miserably at it like Intergraph

"it'll be completely different for us, especially since Microsoft has told us they're entirely committed to OpenGL thanks to partners like us!" - a thing Silicon Graphics actually believed

say what you will about Sun and their "leadership," none of them ever fell for Microsoft's bullshit

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

and they did this after a few other vendors had already tried and failed miserably at it like Intergraph

"it'll be completely different for us, especially since Microsoft has told us they're entirely committed to OpenGL thanks to partners like us!" - a thing Silicon Graphics actually believed

say what you will about Sun and their "leadership," none of them ever fell for Microsoft's bullshit

It didn't help that Microsoft was intentionally wasting SGI's time by working with them on a joint graphics API effort that they had no intention of finishing, in addition to their work on Direct3D.

"Naw, it won't matter if we basically give nVidia and Microsoft our 3D patents, fire most of our high-end 3D graphics hardware team, then sell what's left of them to nVidia!"

edit: it'd be interesting to see how different things would've been if Rick Belluzzo had never worked at SGI.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 19, 2016

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Doc Block posted:

"Naw, it won't matter if we basically give nVidia and Microsoft our 3D patents, fire most of our high-end 3D graphics hardware team, then sell what's left of them to nVidia!"

didn't this happen after the first bankruptcy

Doc Block posted:

edit: it'd be interesting to see how different things would've been if Rick Belluzzo had never worked at SGI.

it would have turned out exactly the same, minus the flirtation with NT

sgi's business model was in serious poo poo from 1997 on, and they refused to change their culture

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Doc Block posted:

Kinda. It was mostly the fault of "Chainsaw" Rick Belluzzo, who gutted HP's propriety Unix and CPU development, then went to SGI and did the same thing, both times in favor of Windows NT boxes running on Intel CPUs (Itanium, LOL). He then went on to work at Microsoft, which wasn't fishy at all, no sir.

hp-ux and hppa were both also-rans in dying markets. neither one ever dominated. neither one was poised for any kind of growth.

itanium was HP's hail-mary plan to outsource cpu development, and it worked pretty drat well. they went from spending billions a year to tossing intel a few million for marketing costs. they got exactly the chips they asked for, using their existing CPU design strategy. (the early itaniums were even meant to be binary compatible with hppa!)

they are still getting new chips produced today, in 2016, but they let go of their last cpu guys in 2004. i don't think they could have wound it down any better.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Solaris 9 installed without a hitch on my SS20 and feels pretty quick too

I installed it because I figured I'd give it a try since I had to reinstall anyway (I didn't partition 2.5.1 correctly to put everything I wanted on it, like a compiler)

also even though SunFreeware shut down in favor of a paid service, there are still some SunFreeware mirrors around so I don't have to hunt down a copy of Solaris Studio 9 just to build stuff, though it might be interesting to try

also it turns out that the official llvm & clang distribution includes support for SPARCv8 codegen—for NetBSD, Solaris, and even SunOS!—so just -isysroot plus GNU binutils could let me build for the machine from my Linux box using a truly modern compiler

(maybe I'll build llvm & clang for it first)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
itanium was very successful for hp. it was a dreadful failure for intel and everyone else who touched it. most particularly the first itanium, "merced."

merced was four years late, and partners finally put a gun to intel's head and demanded a date. to hit the date, intel didn't have time to actually give any chips to partners. instead, all, ALL itanium 1 hardware was intel engineering samples. the only variations by partners were paint and badges. the ultimate in lousy badge engineering.

there were also some os differences. HP and Hitachi ran a half-baked port of HP-UX written for an emulator. IBM's ran a half-baked pseudo-AIX based on SCO UnixWare. Dell's ran who knows what, since Dell didn't own an OS. Windows XP? who cares.

HP i2000 Workstation
(the only click for big image, because HP is the only vendor without shame)

Dell Precision 730

IBM Intellistation Z Pro Model 8964
(ibm loved wordy names, back when they made stuff)

Fujitsu CELSIUS i800
fuji didn't even paint the drat thing, left it intel white

i couldn't find any photos of the Bull or Hitachi units, which surprises me. IBM had a photo and they only sold like 50 systems, total, across all itanium models.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

also even though SunFreeware shut down in favor of a paid service, there are still some SunFreeware mirrors around so I don't have to hunt down a copy of Solaris Studio 9 just to build stuff, though it might be interesting to try

openCSW still has archive snapshots of their solaris 8 and solaris 9 package trees. i know this because i have been trying to get solaris 8 working on an old sun :q:

also almost any version of sun studio from the past ten years will work on solaris 9, you don't need specifically 9.x

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

openCSW still has archive snapshots of their solaris 8 and solaris 9 package trees. i know this because i have been trying to get solaris 8 working on an old sun :q:

thanks!

why not 9 for your sun? and what model sun?

quote:

also almost any version of sun studio from the past ten years will work on solaris 9, you don't need specifically 9.x

I thought it was like 8-9 that run on Solaris 9

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

why not 9 for your sun? and what model sun?

i have more software that runs on solaris 8. also the glory that is OPEN LOOK

it's an ultra 80, so solaris 8 is ~*~ period appropriate ~*~

eschaton posted:

I thought it was like 8-9 that run on Solaris 9

sun studio 11 still supported solaris 8 until very recently. solaris 9 is probably still supported under current versions

edit: the last version to support sol 9 was sun studio 12.0
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solarisstudio/training/index-jsp-141991.html

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what about patches? I have the Solaris 9 recommended patches from 2006 which are all currently failing with error 5, and one of the things I saw online referenced Patch Check Advanced which seems worth checking out…

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

what about patches? I have the Solaris 9 recommended patches from 2006 which are all currently failing with error 5,

99% of the time, error 5 means you didn't go to single user mode before applying the patch

i find old-timey solaris refreshing because it's so drat simple. but simple is a knife that cuts both ways. simple is also crude. lol @ shutting down the system to apply patches.

eschaton posted:

and one of the things I saw online referenced Patch Check Advanced which seems worth checking out…

oracle doesn't give out patches for free anymore, so download tools are not very useful

unless you have patch sets from a prior employer or something, you're SOL

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 21, 2016

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

99% of the time, error 5 means you didn't go to single user mode before applying the patch

i find old-timey solaris refreshing because it's so drat simple. but simple is a knife that cuts both ways. simple is also crude. lol @ shutting down the system to apply patches.

that was the hint I needed, rather than installing from an NFS mount I copied the patch set locally and rebooted single-user and it appears to be installing fine now

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

a v good book, bought it at Stacey's in Cupertino

still have my UNIX barf bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Simson & Garfinkel

• Locked thread