Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007
R the Reply that his life was in danger

Doc Block posted:

My Octane is like having a jet engine on your desk. Fans running at full bore the instant you hit the power switch, etc.

did the hardware engineers just really not consider or care about things like variable rpm fans w/ ambient temperature sensors? it's not like they weren't making a stupidly expensive vertically integrated product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007
absolutely fair points, and i do miss the dump truck transmission like sounds of old macintosh hard drives. the concept of a silent environment being helpful for work isn't exactly new though and there were viable quieter cooling options that could have been adapted from vector supercomputers

moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007
who wouldn't want to live in a world where sgi workstations were silent and cooled by refrigerated fluorinert in an illuminated waterfall???

moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007

Olivil posted:

i have two half working Mac Plus (should be able to combine them) with a second drive + mouse/kb but im still not sure what i'm gonna do with them because i have no way of writing the 800k mac floppies

this is how you end up buying a second old Mac with a SuperDrive + Ethernet

• Locked thread