Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Doc Block posted:

I thought those adapters just mapped pins and the device still had to know how to speak both PS/2 and USB.

yes. the adaptor is just for the different connectors. the keyboard still has to be usb

same goes for the ps2 to serial adaptors for old mice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

what was so great about beos?

it sounds like unix clone #21957 albeit with a slightly better ui than most

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

iirc there's a prince of persia one out there somewhere too

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Barnyard Protein posted:

does anyone remember that guy that got sent to prison for stealing a some teletype consoles and other ancient equipment that he was obsessed with? iirc he blamed it on his room mate. his website was great i wish i could remember enough about it to search for it

this guy?

http://keithlynch.net/pics/

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

i'm still waiting for the update on his new apartment.

he moved out of the one shown because of "constant intrusion of privacy by the landlord" (wanting to do basic maintenance) and bitched and moaned about how long it took him to move all his lovely sci-fi books and pieces of wood using a hand trolley because he cant drive

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

SO DEMANDING posted:

is this detailed somewhere on his website, or did you actually go spelunking in whatever newsgroups he posts to?

keith's weird failure fascinates me, and i can't really explain why. he's like logansryche in that somehow he manages to do literally everything either wrong or in the most annoying way possible. i was trying to find out why he quit the sc-fi club he mentioned on his website (turns out it was a tantrum over buying cinema tickets) and then i went to the newsgroups and read a bunch of stuff about moving and how hard it was. the full thing is spread over four threads and not really that interesting, but the highlights are:

- was very vague about why he actually moved out, meaning there's obviously more to the story than he's telling
- somehow took an entire month to move the contents of one lovely apartment
- moved an estimated ten tons of books two miles to his new place using a hand trolley, which flipped over/collapsed on the first trip
- insisted on taking every 30 year old wooden plank and piece of cardboard that constituted his crappy homemade bookshelves
- couldn't understand why the landlord wouldn't give him back the security deposit because the apartment was fine - it was repainted only 35 years ago! so he left his disgusting couch and piles of garbage in protest
- lived there 35 years and apparently never once vacuumed

he's moved in with a room-mate who sounds like keith mk2 as well:
- semi-unemployed and spends all day bitching about how he can't get a real job with the programming skills he hasn't used or updated in 20 years
- sits around playing video games all day
- got sued for not paying HOA fees
- responded to suit by ignoring it and playing video games
- tried to hire a nigerian lawyer whose business was conducted via a gmail address and whose office was a starbucks. who eventually refused the case
- decided to let keith represent him. keith spent weeks reading up on the case and applicable statutes and then 10 minutes before the hearing blurted out his strategy to the opposing lawyer, who got him kicked off the case on a technicality leaving the room-mate to represent himself (he got his rear end handed to him)

i'm pretty sure theres some bitcoin drama in that newsgroup too, but i can't find it now

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 6, 2016

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

more kids books should have assembly language listings

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Sham bam bamina! posted:

commodore was run by fuckin apes* after tramiel left, there were many things that killed the amiga

*except for its british division

bil heard does an occasional podcast where he talks about what it was like working at commodore.

he's the guy who designed the c128 so he wasn't directly involved with the c64 or amiga, but the way he tells it i'm amazed commodore managed to release a single product, let alone say in business as long as they did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

i think "commode door" was what you wanted

• Locked thread