Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Peanut and the Gang posted:

At work they have these big cardboard bins along the hallways that people use to throw away all their old stuffs. Usually its CRT monitors and 20 year old books. Lots of really worthless poo poo that you couldn't even give away to people anymore.

A lot of cheap Chinese developers still push around MSVC 6 and care so much about performance they must use some rear end backward version of gb2312 instead of Unicode. Except it is more like a cargo cult of Russia in the Cold War as despite all the performance attention their apps are terrible in every way possible.

A lot of Chinese print tech books are simply translations of Japanese books with the same diagrams, so everything is old. The Japanese really love writing really long and quite nice technical articles, they still publish a lot of monthly magazines with oodles of detailed content it is an amazing contrast to a UK or US Linux magazine that has retarded articles about learning ls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

vodkat posted:

I really want to make a fanless computer because I think it would be cool. can't really justify dropping the $$$ on another expensive computer that I don't need just because it would be cool tho

These are probably expensive: http://airtop-pc.com

Fanless barebones systems: http://www.cappuccinopc.com/solutions/fanless_mini_pc.asp

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what was the advantage itanium had over other architectures? i don't mean x86 but the other architectures that companies had already been using for their 'big iron'

Cheap. Just not cheap enough to compete with x64 unsurprisingly enough.

• Locked thread