Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Barnyard Protein posted:

I used an Ultra 60 on a daily basis for about 3 years, it was pretty loud. At the time however, everything was loud. You just kind of expected a computer to be a loud thing that helped you get work done, like a wood chipper. It wasn't uncomfortable to be around, it was actually nice in a way. the noise masked ambient conversation mumbles really well. i hear some offices pump in artificially created pink noise to produce the same effect.

I had a SS20 and an Ultra 1, neither seemed especially loud to me at the time (2006-2007). My MicroVAX was quieter than my primary desktop at the time, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

vodkat posted:

I really want to make a fanless computer because I think it would be cool. can't really justify dropping the $$$ on another expensive computer that I don't need just because it would be cool tho

my 486/dx 33mhz didn't have a fan or even a heatsink

the power supply was super loud, but at least it had this huge red toggle switch on it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

faxlore posted:

I have a SGI ATH-101 keyboard that I have no use or want for and I don't want to just throw it away, I'll send it to someone for shipping costs.

i'd take it if it's ps/2 and nobody else is claiming it, as long as you're in the US so shipping is cheap

sliderule chat i have one of these, a pickett aluminum slide rule:

and one of these, a k&e log-log duplex decitrig:

and two others that I can't remember at the moment. the pictures aren't mine because i don't think i've ever taken pictures of mine.

the k&e has a sweet leather case that you can hang on your belt and be king of the nerds.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

here's a weird old wearable computer that i found at work. pc-104 boards in a case that's apparently shaped to sit against your hip:

it has these funky little adapters that plug into camcorder batteries for power, you can see i have it plugged into two in this picture. i got one running what i think was openbsd:

old picture of a microvax running netbsd:

alphastation running vms:

adm-3a terminal connected to my pc and playing some sort of mud iirc:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

ADM-3A can do RS-232C or 20mA current loop.

Yep, I used RS-232.

The CRT in there was kind of hosed in that it gave off a really loud whine. After 30 minutes of use I'd get a headache and watery eyes. I gave it to an old guy who couldn't hear high frequencies anymore

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i guess my question really is why did so many companies buy into itanium and then keep buying itanium even after the initial flop

from what I remember of my computer architecture class and other sources, itanium's VLIW architecture was supposed to be super hot poo poo just as soon as they got optimized compilers written for it.

the problem is that a VLIW compiler has to do some pretty intense poo poo and they never really got as good as everyone hoped.

hp ported VMS to itanium though which is kind of cool, even though VMS is the finest metaphor for government bureaucracy ever made (counterpoint: VMS actually functions ok once you figure it out)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

i installed vms on that alphastation i posted a while back.

life's fun, you had to go to some hp site and request a license for the tcp/ip package iirc. then there were licenses for the compilers and poo poo like that. couldn't use the software until they'd emailed you the hobbyist license.

they didn't seem very big on organization, the system directories were just huge piles of files. maybe it had something to do with using "set def" instead of something simpler like "cd" to change directories... if it's a pain in the rear end nobody wants to bother

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

eschaton posted:

today Weird Stuff had a big rack outside saying "FREE SUN SOFTWARE" so I picked up a complete Sun Developer Essentials for Enterprise package that includes media for Solaris 8 for both SPARC and Intel, as well as the Sun developer tools with a license code that doesn't need to access Sun's old licensing server to be used

also it includes CodeWarrior for Java for Solaris, which should be fun

nB.S.D. (or anyone else) let me know if you want like a Solaris 2.6 or 7 or 8 media set for SPARC, they have a few and I could pick one up to ship you

weird stuff and halted are pretty much the only things i miss from the bay area.

those, and easy international flights.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what actually used R12k?

all i can think of off the top of my head is SGI and Siemens/Nixdorf

somebody gave me an octane2 and it was R12k. at that time none of the free *nixes supported it (guess netbsd does now) and i couldn't find irix. didn't have the weirdo hard drive sled either so even if i found irix discs i couldn't have installed it on a hard drive.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

There are 3 PDP-11 systems sitting in racks at my work's reapplication warehouse... Two 11/44's and what I think is an 11/73. Also a couple RX02s, a VT240 sans monitor, and I think a disk drive.

Wanting to go fetch them.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

problem is it'll forever be property of my employer, even though they're most likely going to be sold for pennies a pound to some chinese company.

there's no corporate-approved process for transferring discarded company property to the ownership of an employee

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Barnyard Protein posted:

does anyone remember that guy that got sent to prison for stealing a some teletype consoles and other ancient equipment that he was obsessed with? iirc he blamed it on his room mate. his website was great i wish i could remember enough about it to search for it

it was me

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sweevo posted:

i'm still waiting for the update on his new apartment.

he moved out of the one shown because of "constant intrusion of privacy by the landlord" (wanting to do basic maintenance) and bitched and moaned about how long it took him to move all his lovely sci-fi books and pieces of wood using a hand trolley because he cant drive

His website is amazing. From the front page:

quote:

Preferring temperatures around 90 degrees.
Never getting sick, ever.
Often bicycling 20-40 miles every day, year round. (I've never had a car.)
Believing that most of what passes for psychology is not only wrong, but incoherent and meaningless. There is far more diversity among people's thought patterns than psychologists realize.
Posting several April Fool's messages on April First every year.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i have literally never seen one of these

my school's cs dept labs were largely ultra 45s, with some older SPARC boxes mixed in

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

found someone on Craigslist who has a trs-80 model 102 for sale. let's see if I can get it for a reasonable price, or if she goes on ebay, sees the dreamers asking $300, and gets stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

lmao why would you buy a TRS-80, they're the discarded used condoms of the computing world

owns

• Locked thread