Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

:corrupt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

moosemanmoo posted:

did the hardware engineers just really not consider or care about things like variable rpm fans w/ ambient temperature sensors?

lol were you born in 2000?

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Doc Block posted:

IIRC the GPU in the N64 was a much lesser version of SGI's RealityEngine and the early N64 devkits required Onyx workstations.

Also, LOL that when SGI introduced graphics hardware for the Indy that could do 3D acceleration, said 3D hardware was rendered obsolete by the R5000 CPU (which could do 3D faster in software than the XZ graphics board).

So people might've gotten really good performance when using Onyx as a devkit, but yeah, they weren't getting it on an Indy.

edit: IIRC none of the graphics hardware available for the Indy could do hardware-accelerated texture mapping.

my moms workplace (a video production house) had an sgi onyx the size of two refridgerators. I used to ride my bike over to abuse the free hot cocoa vending machine and just stare at it, marveling the geniuses who were privileged and wise enough to actually use it. they used to smoke pipes inside, work on stuff and it was the most magical place in the world. they played multiplayer doom on it.

• Locked thread