Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

use every part of the workstation

The noble Indian uses every part of the computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Sniep posted:

even the physical media optical reader?

Even the physical media optical reader.

Apr 7, 2003

I just realized that there are now adults who were born after USB was an implemented thing.

Apr 7, 2003

Panty Saluter posted:

no? why do you ask

PDP 11/73 didn't use an R12000, PDP-11 was a 16 bit CISC architecture.

Apr 7, 2003

Panty Saluter posted:

oh ya its this one :o:

Yeah, I was gonna say, by the time that PDP-11/73 rolled around the PDP-11 was functionally obsolete and any sales were on the strength of compatibility with existing software/applications.

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is not really true. the performance of an 11/73 or a pro/380 was pretty good for the money.

people were using them as workstations and industrial controllers instead of micro-mainframes with tens of users.

Actually, what I said was very true. They were industrial controllers in the eighties for the same exact reason you still find 486s with RS232 output doing the same thing today.

Apr 7, 2003

Turdsdown Tom posted:

the Nintendo 64 was a piece of poo poo console. so glad I never had to waste money on expansion paks or garbage rear end gimmicks just to play my games.

fuckin sony had the PS1, and then the dualshock came out and I spent most of the late 90s losing my mind over how cool sony's analog sticks and how poo poo Nintendo's were

I spent most of the late nineties being cool and having sex, sorry for your lot.

Apr 7, 2003

Trash Bandicoot. Haha

Apr 7, 2003

Smythe posted:

its called an ikea bag and the trunk of your car

Love those big blue bags. Only fifty cents and I've carried window ACs in them.

Apr 7, 2003

Went to IKEA and forgot your bags? Buy more. They're cheap and you can always use them.

Apr 7, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

does anyone have that article some engineer wrote about writing the copy protection for a playstation 1 game, I think it was crash bandicoot? It's a pretty pro read.

lol "engineer"

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i have literally never seen one of these

I have never seen one either, but I did look up the manuals for it and do a real estate search on the ZIP code in the manual and now my night is full of comedy.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/95054/sby-1

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yes, sun hq was in silicon valley

what's the joke

A 900 square foot house for $549K, that is next to a strip mall. lmao

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i still don't get it

is the joke "the suburbs"

You get it, you're just playing a role.

Apr 7, 2003

"It's worth spending <x> to live here" works when what you're living in is actually unique and interesting, like Manhattan. When you live on the side of a four lane highway with a strip mall on the other side of the street and you have to drive an hour and a half to do anything interesting, you might as well be in Springfield, MO.

At that point, you're paying a premium for the weather. That's cool, I guess.

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you're paying a premium to have access to a job market. which is also the point of living in manhattan for 80+% of its residents.

the pleasures of cutesy neighborhoods in urban cores are for the idle rich

actual workers just want to be close to the jobs. (often in the service industries for those idle rich!)

Are you suggesting that the vast majority of jobs in that zip code are making tech level wages? The median income in NYC, as you have pointed out, is on par with Pittsburgh.

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

who the gently caress would actually choose to live in silicon valley for a reason unconnected to job opportunities? it's a heavily polluted suburban wasteland where no one can afford a house

I have personally known six people in the past two years who came in, interned with me, and said "I'M GOING TO THE VALLEY" and left. lmao

as bad as Pittsburgh can be (and it's not losing population, the differential is moving to the suburbs), you can buy a palace and have real, actual cultural amenities next door.

Apr 7, 2003

eschaton posted:

we already have a tech bubble thread, this is the old computer thread

Yeah, gently caress you.

Apr 7, 2003

error1 posted:

someone is selling a working Macintosh SE close to me, someone please tell me why it sucks and I shouldn't get it

Because it's obsolete and you can use an emulator to get that "experience"

lmao at filling your house with obsolete computer garbage.

Apr 7, 2003

echinopsis posted:

IMO
this is why the Amiga never succeeded

PCs were still mostly using 5.25" floppies for the majority of the Amiga's productive life over here, and disk interoperability wasn't a consideration at all back then.

Apr 7, 2003

echinopsis posted:

idk man i mean my experince was that my pc mates would have 3.5s but they would never run coz hd vs dd

I guess the amiga was big in the third world long after it became obsolete here.

Apr 7, 2003

Olivil posted:

wasnt the team that worked on the amiga mostly comprised of people from atari that worked on the atari 8 bit?

same for the team that worked on the atari st but for the C64?

Jay Miner and friends left Atari to form Amiga on the west coast (Commodore was based near Philly), created the machine independently, and were bought out by Commodore and shitcanned.

Apr 7, 2003

Old computers sucked and were garbage, sorry. New ones are better in every way.

Apr 7, 2003

Commodore? More like Commode

Apr 7, 2003

This thread is the computer version of 22 year old dudes with Don Draper haircuts talking about how much better the fifties were.

Apr 7, 2003

~Coxy posted:

power button

programmers switch is a piece of plastic you clip on the side if you want one, it presses a microswitch inside the case through the air vent to generate an interrupt

wish we could generate an interrupt of your posting.

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"poop from a butt" aptly describes the windows material

the catweasel only really works under linux. even then there are like ten different kernel drivers written by different people :(

I remember compiling a iinux kernel. boy, did it suck.

Apr 7, 2003

You Am I posted:

Dick Smith
Lol

Apr 7, 2003

oval office AND PASTE posted:

hi nerds i got very concerned about FTP sites the other day and went and checked and sure enough almost all the sites I remember have vanished so I made a bash script that will download and archive an FTP site for you (not claiming credit -- i improved someone else's script)

code:
#!/bin/bash

# grab-ftp.sh
# download entire FTP with wget, then package in tar

target="$1"

wget -r -l 0 -np -nc "$target"

if [[ "$target" =~ ^[url]ftp://.*[/url]$ ]]
    then
    target="$(echo "$target" | cut -d '/' -f 3)"
    echo "ftp"
    echo "$target"
fi

# create archive, file list and sha256 sum
tar cJvf $(date +%Y).$(date +%m).$(date +%d)."$target".tar.xz "$target" --remove-files

# create file list
tar tvf $(date +%Y).$(date +%m).$(date +%d)."$target".tar.xz > $(date +%Y).$(date +%m).$(date +%d)."$target".tar.xz.txt

# create sha256 sum so you can validate the archive later
sha256sum $(date +%Y).$(date +%m).$(date +%d)."$target".tar.xz > $(date +%Y).$(date +%m).$(date +%d)."$target".tar.xz.sha256
adapted from stuff listed here:
http://www.archiveteam.org/index.php?title=FTP

here are some FTP sites that have already been archived:
https://archive.org/details/ftpsites

A while back I did a search for a review on some classic D&D module and I found an FTP site with bunch of pirated PDFs of D&D stuff, thanks to wget I now have so much gaming poo poo it's ridiculous.

Apr 7, 2003

The apple II archive there is 25g compressed. I have a hard time believing that every piece of Apple II software ever made comes out to that.

Apr 7, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

o yea I should dig out my archive of Atari software

I have ~2850 MS DOS games here and they come out to about 8.7g all said.

Apr 7, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

we found this in my wife's moms house. I got it out tonight to see if it still worked but I can't hook it up to a tv because it's got that goofy old connector with the two wire u gotta screw on. the power light turns on at least.

After my recent experience, I'd kill to have floorboards that thin. christ.

Apr 7, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

found someone on Craigslist who has a trs-80 model 102 for sale. let's see if I can get it for a reasonable price, or if she goes on ebay, sees the dreamers asking $300, and gets stupid.

lmao why would you buy a TRS-80, they're the discarded used condoms of the computing world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

It's bad.

• Locked thread