Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Doc Block posted:

I have an SGI Octane in storage. Thanks to the Internet Archive, I was able to find the pics I took of it back in 2003. Here's the whole setup, including SGI-branded Sony Trinitron monitor

The beige box on the right is an external SCSI CD-ROM drive, since the Octane had no room for an internal one.

It's got a 64-bit MIPS R12000 CPU @300mhz w/640MB RAM :flashfap:

Not pictured: the support I had to add to the underside of the desk to stop it from sagging under the weight of a 20"-ish CRT and an 80 lbs SGI workstation

i threw out two octanes two years ago and i regret it. daddies, hug ur boxen tight. don't let them go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

this is the computer i had as a childe. a tandy tl1000. it was pretty cool. i can still remember the smell of the milky transparent plastic keyboard cover, which had just enough ball point pen markings on it to let you know someone hosed up. it had a lot of cool programs. there was a music composition program that took approximately 10 minutes to load. there was a word processing program that i used to type up school assignments. there was an art program that made spiralgraph things, and you could print out banners on the dot matrix.

fast forward to present day, as a 30 year old adult i have met one of the loathesome men responsible for creating the tandy tl1000. he works at the place i work and his teeth look like he eats plaque for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. he doesn't shut the gently caress up about tandy and now i can't think of my cherished childhood memories of playing some math game i can't remember the name of without a sense memory of this troglodite's foul breath flooding my nostrils.

haha this brings back so many now ruined fond memories

Jerry Bindle fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 12, 2016

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i think i also threw out a full IRIX 6.5 install set. that doesn't sound like something i'd do, because i'd been looking for a full IRIX cd set for a decade prior, but damned if i can't find it now.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
yeah i unlocked an indy circa 2002 using an overlay ISO that i talked some into sending me on IRC. when i cared enough to do it, finding the full install set online was impossible, legit sets on ebay were prohibitively expensive. oh well. the unlocked indy, most of the apps weren't installed locally so it turned out to be a huge waste of time anyways. FFWD to 2012, i picked up 2x octanes and 2x indies from someone off nekochan for free, and he gave me a full install set. after sitting in my living room for a few months i got really skeez'd out about having HDD's sitting in my house that formerly belonged to someone on nekochan, pot kettle i know whatever, and chucked them.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i called SGI, when i got the indy's, to ask about getting a copy of IRIX. the lady said i'd need a support contract. i forget the exact cost for 1 year of support, but i think it was $30k.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
insert jammer in hole 2 down 4 across from back to pop those bad boys open

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

moosemanmoo posted:

did the hardware engineers just really not consider or care about things like variable rpm fans w/ ambient temperature sensors? it's not like they weren't making a stupidly expensive vertically integrated product

I seem to remember 13W3 repeaters and keyboard cable extender cables being a thing

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
I used an Ultra 60 on a daily basis for about 3 years, it was pretty loud. At the time however, everything was loud. You just kind of expected a computer to be a loud thing that helped you get work done, like a wood chipper. It wasn't uncomfortable to be around, it was actually nice in a way. the noise masked ambient conversation mumbles really well. i hear some offices pump in artificially created pink noise to produce the same effect.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
when you spend $30k on a workstation, you want the fan blaring full speed. if the CPU drops below %100 usage ur face gets hot.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
if a loud super-expensive unix workstation seems weird, that's because you're thinking of it in the context of a home where it is weird. imagine walking into someone's kitchen and seeing a 200 liter industrial mixer, kind of the same thing. recently the line between "professional" grade and "consumer" grade computer equipment has been blurred, but it still exists in computing and other industries.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i need to get a whiteboard to work this out. so many parts that could fit together somehow. sliderule branded "POST", slidrules calculate logs, poo poo comes in logs, poo poo logs from a post slide rule... gently caress

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Doc Block posted:

Hopefully the NVRAM battery isn't dead. What a brilliant idea to store hardware information required for licensing etc. in battery-backed RAM instead of an EEPROM or flash. Will SGI machines even boot if the NVRAM is dead? Never mind that the battery is actually buried inside the NVRAM so it's non-replaceable. :rolleyes:

:agreed: that its lovely for people that have them now, but SGI probably liked it. they probably wouldn't let that be a problem for people with support contracts, but they don't gain anything by us playing with these machines today.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Sniep posted:

from the

design school

flashbacks of my stepdad yelling at me to get off the phone line, he needs to send a fax "god drat it"

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i romanticize old computes because i feel like i can understand them better. i've been messing around with qemu, writing real-mode x86 assembly. that sort of thing is easy to wrap my mind around, and the only part that i don't really understand is the bios firmware. doing graphics stuff on top of a modern OS, there's so many layers of poo poo between the code i write and how it gets popped up on the screen, i have a hard time imagining any single person understanding how every piece works.

anyways i'd like to find a small cheap x86 SBC with well documented hardware. qemu is great and all, and i'd never get anywhere developing x86 asm without qemu+gdb, but it'd be cool to see the code run on an actual computer.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
one of my favorite computers, the HP 50g graphing calculator. it came out ten years ago, so its not "old" in an age sense, but its old in usefulness. why would you use this thing if you have a modern computer? i don't have a good reason for you other than :sperg:

anyways, this thing is sick. look at the features this bad boy boasts,

• RPN entry
  • SD-card slot
  • Built-in assembler
  • 75 MHz Samsung S3C2410A[11] (ARM920T core) [thikipedia]
  • comes with a sweet padded carrying case
  • USB Port
  • IR port
  • Keys feel real nice
  • 131×80 pixels display
  • 2 MiB flash memory, 512 KiB RAM

they're discontinued now, and really undervalued in my opinion. $57 fuckin dollars, i bought a backup one just now http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GTPRPS

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
yeah a hp50g with the enter key in the right place and the right kind of keys and hp48sx style case would have been too perfect for this world. while i'm calc sperging, the hp 35s is a very good calculator, and is actually a lot more usable than the 50g. its keys feel nice, its enter key is in the correct position, and it also comes in a case that lets everyone know just how much of a dork you are.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i had a car then, no one wanted to hang out, almost never used it. everyone was inside playing video games. so, you made the correct choice.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
does anyone remember that guy that got sent to prison for stealing a some teletype consoles and other ancient equipment that he was obsessed with? iirc he blamed it on his room mate. his website was great i wish i could remember enough about it to search for it

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

yeah thanks! his story was a lot less believable the last time i read it. now, i don't know. it seems plausible that someone stole a bunch of poo poo and put it in his apartment, and he took the fall for it. its however strange that the things stolen were late 70's era terminals, and his house present day is still littered with late 70's era terminals.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I coulda had a jaguar for $20 at KB Toys.

yeah the local kb toys had several of those, forgotten, up on top of the shelf behind a checkout well into '98, until i assume the employees stole them or threw them in the dumpster. what a turd

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
if you want a jaguar shell just go to a hospital and steal the machine that gives extra-strength enemas -- same exact case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i remember popping open the rf modulator of my atari 2600 and seeing loosely curled blue-wire acting as the inductors, so yeah my bet is that they are just made with crappy components

• Locked thread