Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

Silver Alicorn posted:

I think the only old computer I have rn is my tandy pc-3

it's programmable

i love pocket computers here's my collection

my PC-3 (with the cracked screen) is one i've had since childhood, i left it laying around a few years back and it got sat on :( so i bought a mint sharp equiv when it popped up cheap on ebay. i also have a PC-2 but previous owner left batteries installed and they corroded all over the place and it's out in the garage waiting to be repaired one day

recently got this Poqet PC (this one is a very early model according to version numbers and timestamps in ROM) but still need to buy some memory cards so i can actually do something with it besides watch it boot up. runs on 2 AA batteries, CGA (B&W) graphics, claims to get 100 hours of battery life before needing a new set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

hi nerds i got very concerned about FTP sites the other day and went and checked and sure enough almost all the sites I remember have vanished so I made a bash script that will download and archive an FTP site for you (not claiming credit -- i improved someone else's script)

code:
#!/bin/bash

# grab-ftp.sh
# download entire FTP with wget, then package in tar

target="$1"

wget -r -l 0 -np -nc "$target"

if [[ "$target" =~ ^[url]ftp://.*[/url]$ ]]
    then
    target="$(echo "$target" | cut -d '/' -f 3)"
    echo "ftp"
    echo "$target"
fi

# create archive
tar cJvf $(date +%Y).$(date +%m).$(date +%d)."$target".tar.xz "$target" --remove-files

# create file list
tar tvf $(date +%Y).$(date +%m).$(date +%d)."$target".tar.xz > $(date +%Y).$(date +%m).$(date +%d)."$target".tar.xz.txt

# create sha256 sum so you can validate the archive later
sha256sum $(date +%Y).$(date +%m).$(date +%d)."$target".tar.xz > $(date +%Y).$(date +%m).$(date +%d)."$target".tar.xz.sha256
adapted from stuff listed here:
http://www.archiveteam.org/index.php?title=FTP

here are some FTP sites that have already been archived:
https://archive.org/details/ftpsites

CUNT AND PASTE fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 22, 2016

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

for example i was very concerned about simtel.net so i went looking and found three different mirrors in various stages of completeness. does anyone know of a good deduplication tool?

• Locked thread