Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Aeka 2.0 posted:

So why are California pump prices still high? Is it the refineries at this point? I just payed 3.00 a gallon today while hearing a story of gas well under a dollar in another state.

A combination of California having a non-standard type of fuel and just normal price gouging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Last Buffalo posted:

I think it comes more from a mentality of "gently caress your lovely dirty job." The same thing happens with the coal industry, where they worry about coal being regulated until there aren't any jobs for people. If the market doesn't support your polluting, inefficient extraction industry, then too bad.

Which again is tarring the workers with the same brush as the job. Yeah their job is lovely, but there's a reason why they're doing it: there's no other work available, certainly no better work.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NathanScottPhillips posted:

In the future we will mine landfills for plastic. I seriously believe this.

Eh, probably. We do that for metals right now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Flavahbeast posted:

I doubt there's going to be much displacement of fossil fuels by new energy technologies in the short term, electric cars are still too expensive for a lot of the population even in rich countries and you're not going to see electric passenger jets or large-scale use of electric freight trucks for a while

There is, the ball's already rolling on that one. Of course that depends on your definition of "short term", but companies are already incentivized to market fuel efficiency and electric cars because that's what customers have been conditioned to want.

Just in general also, the technology that would make electric cars cheap (i.e., cheap dense batteries) have other uses that are being pursued anyway.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Flavahbeast posted:

I'm talkin serious displacement within that 5-10 year period, I think it'll happen eventually but not in that timeframe

That wouldn't happen even with $4 gas. That's about the timeframe to go from "technology is ready" to "rolling out of the assembly line", and the technology is far from ready right now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A big flaming stink posted:

How much of demand for oil is consumer/car based, and how much is industry based?

Because if the former dominates demand, I can see it taking 5+ years to shake off habits accrued during the "gas is 3-4$ a gallon era" and that is going to have quite the impact.

Here's the numbers I'm seeing:

(A barrel makes 45 gallons of petroleum products)

So it depends what you mean by "industry" exactly but the vast majority is gasoline & diesel.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cicero posted:

So let's say that 20 years from now, electric cars/trucks dominate the market and so demand for gasoline and diesel is way down. Can you increase the % of the barrel that you use for other products? Or is that relatively fixed due to chemical composition?

Not a chemical engineer, but as far as I know the contents of the barrel are uniform, so you can use it all on jet fuel or plastics if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A big flaming stink posted:

I'm just thinking that people have become alot more conscious about behaving in ways that reduce the amount of gas they consume (carpooling, living closer to work, keeping tires inflated, better mileage in cars) and these habits are unlikely to disappear. Have analogous habits popped up amongst industrial consumers of gasoline (truckers, shippers etc) as well?

Yes, if anything businesses are more concerned with doing that because they want to minimize their costs whenever possible. There's an entire sub-field dedicated to minimizing the amount of distance (and hence fuel) travelled by cargo trucks, for example.

It might be less of a focus because of falling fuel prices, but it's still a major part of their costs (and there's still labor costs to consider, so minimizing time = minimizing money).

• Locked thread