Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

CalmDownMate posted:

I'm thinking a coalition of countries bombing Saudi Arabian oil fields would be a good idea at this point.

Unless you happen to live in Russia, Venezuela, or Nigeria why are you so concerned about low oil prices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

This is probably the first time I've had a positive opinion of something SA did.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Nevvy Z posted:

I had this idea recently. Someone should setup a system by which I can buy a couple hundred bucks of gas redeemable whenever. Basically small scale private speculation by the x number of gallons.

How dumb is this idea?

JohnGalt posted:

Short of playing options/futures no one is going to hold gasoline for you.

Also, you have about 6-9 months for prices to go back up, because your gasoline is going to destabilize.

People will do it just not for free, there's a place here in MN that does it but I'm not sure of all of the details. I'm sure they have some sort of fees or something involved to make it worthwhile for them.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's really, really easy to underestimate just how energy-dense that hydrocarbon fuels are. Batteries and solar panels are piss-ant poo poo compared to a big tank of JP1 powering a turbine. Almost all large-scale electrical balancing systems use something like pumped hydro, compressed air, or molten salt because trying to store that much electicity in a battery is loving stupid.

I was on the very bleeding edge of powering model aircraft with electric, and it only really became workable about 15 years ago even at small scale (high-quality name-brand NiMH cells for high-discharge applications, LiPo for higher capacity but reduced discharge). Nowadays the tech is real solid for model-scale airplanes (barring the really big 50cc type stuff) but even still you can't beat the endurance and power of nitro aircraft. You need a more and more energy-dense powertrain the larger the plane gets.

Sanyo 1950mah 4/5A FAUP cells, rated at up to 45A on the sticker and would tolerate being discharged at up to 70A in practice (i.e. 23-36C discharge). And the Mega 16/15/3 would eat up whatever you could feed it :getin:

I've seen some really powerful electric setups for even the big 100cc+ planes since the motors themselves have a pretty good power to weight ratio, but yeah gas still has a pretty big advantage in endurance.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Morbus posted:

People also don't really appreciate how powerful large aircraft are. Takeoff power of a large passenger jet is on the order of 100-200 megawatts with a "M". That's like the entire power output of a (nuclear reactor powered) aircraft carrier, in a few packages small enough to tuck under the wing. The power to weight ratio of gas turbine engines is outstanding

I'm going way off topic here but it's something I wondered about recently, is there some simple approximation to convert the rated thrust of jet airplanes into a power output figure? Or is that power output figure calculated some other way?

• Locked thread