Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

I had this idea recently. Someone should setup a system by which I can buy a couple hundred bucks of gas redeemable whenever. Basically small scale private speculation by the x number of gallons.

How dumb is this idea?

That system exists. It's called a barrel.

Joking aside, I still don't see it as a great idea if only very simply because existing distribution networks have zero incentive to let you buy cheap gas and then hold it in some sort of virtual reserve rather than just selling you expensive gas later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

I was also under the impression that a lot of the leases in TX at least were written in a way that if they weren't being actively worked they would eventually revert back to the owner of the land. A lot of people got burned by the last Texas oil boom/bust where the leased land sat idle because the company it was leased to didn't want to do anything until prices recovered.

I'm not super sure on leases, but mineral rights in Texas more generally are pretty fucky. And they trump surface rights. Doesn't matter how much surface you own, if someone else has the minerals they can build wells and roads and all other manner of poo poo all over your land with no compensation even if they gently caress poo poo up or destroy your property value.

• Locked thread