Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Mostly, it's a question of ROI. A law degree is 3 years, you need to go to a good school and get good grades, the coursework can be very challenging, and the cost without scholarships is enormous. After school, you'll have to study for and pass the bar, which is also a significant investment of money and effort.

You could probably get a MBA or MA/MS in a different field for a lower cost, much less time, and for roughly equivalent money. Anecdotally, I got an MPP at the same time several of my friends got JDs. I finished 1.5 years ahead of them and currently make 20% more than the highest paid of them. A classmate of mine who was getting his MBA and had crossover classes with me absolutely slaughters all of us in salary.

edit: I should add that the salary distribution of attorneys is bi-modal. There are some who make killer money (mostly top 14 school grads), and many, many more who make $50-60k to start. Some people never even find a $50k job and just stop putting their JD on their resume.

I'm starting to question this logic because anecdotal experience seems to indicate its more about being top of your class then being top 14, though being in the top 14 makes it so you don't have to be top of your class.

IIRC my wife was the only one of her hiring class that went to a top 10 school and is still teased about it constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

I'm going way off topic here but it's something I wondered about recently, is there some simple approximation to convert the rated thrust of jet airplanes into a power output figure? Or is that power output figure calculated some other way?

Power is work over time, and work is force times distance, so there's a variety of ways you calculate power because of the way these units interact.

velocity is distance over time so F*V works. engines are also frequently rated by torque*angular velocity of the drive shaft.

• Locked thread