Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Click here for Mobile-Friendly OP
:siren: No spoilers. No spoiler tags. No wink-wink coy spoilers (scoylers). :siren:
Games not under spoiler rule: Metal Gear (MSX), Snatcher, Metal Gear 2 (MSX2), Policenauts (just for references to)
Games under no-spoiler rule: Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Ghost Babel, every game released after MGS1

Metal Gear Solid is the action-adventure stealth game that popularized the genre. Released for the PlayStation in 1998, Metal Gear Solid mixed cinematic presentation and unique gameplay to become a best-seller and fan favorite. The game was directed, produced and co-written by Hideo Kojima and serves as a sequel to the MSX2 versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. The title "Solid" has several meanings - the game's protagonist is Solid Snake, but it also alludes to the "solid" 3D graphics.
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions is a separate game released one year later. VR Missions has no plot, but serves as 300+ mini-missions to train the player on the game's mechanics. In Japan, these VR missions were included in a re-release of MGS1 titled Metal Gear Solid: Integral.

The LP
A few years ago, Instant Grat created a thread for experimental LPs. My submission was "Metal Gear Solid Let's Plays itself", where the game's codec call conversations played out over gameplay. Now the award-winning concept is a full-fledged LP!

There will be "Non-Codec" and "Codec" versions of each update. The Non-Codec versions don't have optional codec calls, where the Codec versions will have every codec call. Because of the glut of information in the Codec versions, I recommend those only to people familiar with the game, or after watching the Non-Codec version.
Like the codec calls, the videos for VR missions appear when contextually relevant to the main game. All versions of each update contain links to the same VR missions (you won't miss any by skipping non-codec videos). Some people don't care about these, so I made them optional links.

This is a spoiler-free LP. Joining me on the LP is Blindcat. He is a poor soul who never played Metal Gear, so I'm acting as his seeing-eye dog through the franchise. Any Metal Gear games released before this one are fair game (Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2) as they are heavily referenced in MGS1. We will also point out references to Snatcher and Policenauts, but not about their plots.

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 7, 2016

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I watched the first MGS gameplay video and the concept worked really well. Plus, you guys are funny so I'm in. Interested to see how far the concept can run.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Well it's finally here, I'll be sure to give these a watch!

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Ok, your videos have buttons that have scissors, word balloons, and telephones. Your third link has two groups, one with the telephone crossed out and with the two versions of the word balloons, and one with the telephone not crossed out and with both balloons.

So, after investigation, what I'm thinking after clicking a few buttons is:

Phone: Optional Codecs
Word balloons: Full Commentary
Scissors: Summarized game, rather than a full gameplay.

However, each three button group represents two videos. The phone (off or on) represents both the phone and the no-commentary buttons, meaning that, although there's two separations with six buttons total, there are actually only four buttons for a single playthrough.

Normally, video buttons aren't an issue I'd consider fix-worthy, but considering that I had to make multiple comparisons between what seemed like six videos before finding out they're four and not immediately recognizing the keyword [codec] and the keyword [fullcom] weren't mutually exclusive which resulted in me having to take notes which included timestamps, I'd suggest:

Don't attach a button to either phone or no phone symbols if they actually are duplicate videos, it's confusing. Make it clear that it's a category, so you're choosing either Full/not-full commentary in the categories of Codec and Not Codec. Include a legend or some other explanation in the OP of those symbols you're going to use. Finally, make it clear that in cases like Video 3, the separation between groups is not "Part 1/Part 2 of one total video" but rather "All of these buttons showcase the same gameplay."

Edit: Also, the video split-up for Zanzibarland has the crossed-out scissors linking to the second of three videos. If you're splitting up the video, I'd recommend either the main symbol either not be a button, or a button linking to a playlist of some sort. I really can't think of a good reason to link to the middle video like that.

Edit 2: I noticed you have links to the VR missions on your Mobile LP OP, but I don't see the links in your non-mobile LP OP.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 12, 2016

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Just watched the Metal Gear 2 video. Holy poo poo, I had no idea they re-used so much of MG2 for MGS, it's almost literally just a remake.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I can't see this expression as anything other than a mix of surprise, confusion and horror at everything that happens to Snake in MG2.

"What the gently caress did you just tell me?"

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Gharbad the Weak posted:

So, after investigation, what I'm thinking after clicking a few buttons is:

Phone: Optional Codecs
Word balloons: Full Commentary
Scissors: Summarized game, rather than a full gameplay.

I added a legend to hopefully clear this up.
The phone is codecs on/off, and the talk bubble is commentary cut/full. So it reads: "Codec off, cut/full" or "Codec on, cut/full".
Likewise, the scissors are "Cut" or "Uncut, part 1/2/3".

E. Also, both Non-Codec/Codec FullCom videos have the same commentary over cutscenes (the one recorded first) so watching either one will get you Blindcat's natural reactions.

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 13, 2016

BlindCat
Oct 15, 2012
As completely ridiculous as the assorted traps in Metal Gear are, a lot of them are not utterly fictitious. Things like squeaking sand exist; with high glass content the sand squeaks when rubbing against each other. This LP has lead to a lot of curiosity googling.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
This is an amazing way to show off the game! I really like the codec calls during gameplay, so they don't stop the action, and the blind reactions are nice. I can't wait until you start getting to the more crazy stuff.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

This is a cool LP and I'd like to see more of it. :)

BlindCat posted:

This LP has lead to a lot of curiosity googling.
I played this game when I was about 12 or so and it got me much more curious about international relations, even though I didn't understand much of it at the time and the game has kind of a simplified world view by necessity.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 22, 2016

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The CODEC works by stimulating the small bones in your ears (and I think you could have an implant in your larynx to pick up subvocalisation) , but how the hell can you see the other person?

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

There's actually a codec call explaining that, too.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Maybe there's a Dick Tracy-style camera wristwatch.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Mission Log

The nuclear weapons disposal facility on Shadow Moses Island in Alaska's Fox Archipelago was captured by terrorists. They're demanding that the US government turn over the remains of "The Legendary Soldier" Big Boss and they are saying that if their demands are not met within 24 hours, they'll launch a nuclear weapon. Asked by the US government to settle the situation, former FOX-HOUND member Solid Snake succeeds in the infiltration of the nuclear weapons disposal facility.

Now he must try to rescue the DARPA Chief.

Now with links in the OP to the VR Missions!

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 4, 2016

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Excellent, Snake. Age hasn't slowed you down one bit. I'm only a bit ashamed that I knew that from memory.

The heliport area is interesting. Tell me if this counts as a spoiler, but searchlights, footprints, and different levels of elevation don't really come into the rest of the game. It's a weird vertical slice, in that it teaches you stuff that won't be all that useful. Chalk it up to Kojima being Kojima, I guess.

The format for this LP is really cool.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Holy poo poo, this is a great concept, and the commentary itself is fun too. It also seems like a lot of work, so please don't burn yourself out.

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Get close to the explosion.
Agreed, you seem to be really good at MGS - or at least at exploiting the guards's AI - and I look forward to seeing both your hijinks and Blindcat's reactions to the incredible variety of ridiculous BS one gets in the course of the game. May I ask if you plan on extending this concept to the other MGS games, if you survive the heavy editing and hours of audio in the first game?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Do you have a playlist up with the uncut stuff?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

BlindCat posted:

As completely ridiculous as the assorted traps in Metal Gear are, a lot of them are not utterly fictitious. Things like squeaking sand exist; with high glass content the sand squeaks when rubbing against each other. This LP has lead to a lot of curiosity googling.

I found this, too. :v:

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Tell me if this counts as a spoiler, but searchlights, footprints, and different levels of elevation don't really come into the rest of the game.

I talk about this a lot in the VR videos. The design of the game doesn't support how deep the mechanics are, which is partly why VR Missions exists at all. And you might not remember how many areas do use different elevation well. I can only think of one sneaking area that is entirely flat.

TyrantSabre posted:

May I ask if you plan on extending this concept to the other MGS games, if you survive the heavy editing and hours of audio in the first game?

The original plan (like, 5 years ago) was to make an MGS3 LP like this one. I still want to do MGS2 and MGS3 like this, but don't know if the format can extend to 4+, with the reduced emphasis on codec.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Do you have a playlist up with the uncut stuff?

Separate ones for the Non-Codec and Codec videos.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I like Nuke Talk.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

:science:
MacGyver episode airdate: September 29, 1985
Metal Gear 2 puzzle: July 20, 1990

I know MacGyver also built a hang glider once. I should watch to see what else Kojima thought was cool.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Did MacGyver ever make a flamethrower out of an aerosol can?

Other things Kojima likes; mullets, giant robots, nanomachines, repeating what the other guy just said as a question.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Mission Log

The nuclear weapons disposal facility on Shadow Moses Island in Alaska's Fox Archipelago was captured by terrorists. They're demanding that the US government turn over the remains of "The Legendary Soldier" Big Boss and they are saying that if their demands are not met within 24 hours, they'll launch a nuclear weapon. Asked by the US government to settle the situation, former FOX-HOUND member Solid Snake succeeds in the infiltration of the nuclear weapons disposal facility.

Now he must try to rescue the DARPA Chief.

Between the previous video and this one, we went on recording hiatus for over a year. As such, this and all following videos have higher quality audio and jokes.
With this update, we have a full support staff! More people to call makes for longer [Codec] videos and more creative liberties with creating context (making Snake look like an idiot).

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 4, 2016

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was just thinking the other day that I should get around to either playing or watching the Metal Gear Solid series, and lo—here you appear with the obvious first thing to watch. :neckbeard:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I don't think I can remember ever running into Meryl doing exercises without her pants on, but I'm not really surprised that it's a thing that exists.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Sorry that updates are slow. There are over 600 optional codec calls in Metal Gear Solid and much of this has to be planned/recorded many videos out before a video can be made.
So here's a peek into the process, for the curious.

All subtitles in the game are stored in plain text on the disk. These were sorted by character and split into conversations.

Then each conversation was recorded from the PC port (the only version with music volume control) and isolated.

Next, each call has to go somewhere in some video, so they are all split up by video. The last step (which is all I have left to do between updates) is to sort these pieces into a narrative, record the game timed to the calls, and put the puzzle together.

I started with a backlog but want to space them out because I worry that running out will lead to a long hiatus. I considered doing half-updates instead, with a codec or non-codec video each week, if people would rather that.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

drat, that's a lot of work. Seeing what goes into it, I'm fine with waiting.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I knew this cool idea probably took a lot of work but Jesus so many charts. Good luck wrangling the Codec Experience.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Take as long as you need, man. Good things are worth waiting for.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah, it's okay. This LP is a gem and I'd rather you space out the updates than burn out and abandon the whole thing.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Mission Log

The nuclear weapons disposal facility on Shadow Moses Island in Alaska's Fox Archipelago was captured by terrorists. They're demanding that the US government turn over the remains of "The Legendary Soldier" Big Boss and they are saying that if their demands are not met within 24 hours, they'll launch a nuclear weapon. Asked by the US government to settle the situation, Snake overhears the enemies' conversation that the DARPA Chief is locked up in the cell on the first floor basement of the tank hanger.

Snake gets in touch with the DARPA Chief. But the Chief says that the terrorists found out one of the two detonation codes necessary to launch the nuclear warhead. The Chief tells Snake that it is possible to deactivate the detonation code by using the detonation code emergency override key held by ArmsTech President Kenneth Baker who is trapped on the 2nd floor basement. However, right after that, he dies from a heart attack right in front of Snake...

If you've been skipping the non-codec videos, I strongly suggest watching this one. :marc:

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 4, 2016

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Mission Log

Snake gets in touch with the DARPA Chief. But the Chief says that the terrorists found out one of the two detonation codes necessary to launch the nuclear warhead. The Chief tells Snake that it is possible to deactivate the detonation code by using the detonation code emergency override key held by ArmsTech President Kenneth Baker who is trapped on the 2nd floor basement.

However, right after that, he dies from a heart attack. Snake cooperates with a female soldier that he met and escapes the cell and heads for the 2nd floor basement of the tank hangar to rescue Baker.

No VR videos this update. I added mission logs to all the update posts. When you load a save in MGS1, you are given a summary of events so far with some sweet Shinkawa art. They're the worst translated and proofread parts of the game!

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Apr 4, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I figure the hardest part of boss fights will be letting them last long enough for all the codecs to play, even without demonstrating nonstandard game overs.

That said, this was surprisingly amazing :allears:

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Why is Metal Gear different from the NES version? It starts in a jungle outside the base and has stuff like dogs right off the bat. I'm confused. Also, I have Snake's Revenge and I don't see anything radically different in it besides the occasional side scrolling tunnel sections. Why does it get such a bad reputation?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

As I understand it, the first Metal Gear got localized and translated poorly. It removes Metal Gear as an end boss, and makes some other changes to the layout (because Konami of America told them to make it as different from the MSX2 version as possible).

Snake's Revenge was commissioned by Konami as a sequel to Metal Gear, designed for the Western market, made by the same people (Ultra Games) who localized the NES port of Metal Gear, without Kojima's involvement. Kojima heard about this, and pitched his own sequel to Metal Gear, which became the official Metal Gear sequel.

I guess Metal Gear fans don't like it for the same reason that Bond fans don't like Never Say Never Again; because it wasn't created by the original team, which makes it non-canonical and sort of unofficial in a way; and because it's indicative of some struggle within the company itself (since the company went over the creator's head). I haven't seen how MGSV turned out (watch the LP!), but I think we will be thinking about that game in similar ways as Snake's Revenge further down the line.

Philippe fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 9, 2016

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
You should've told me you were doing this! Hell yeah I'm watching this

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

These are good videos and I'm very happy that you're putting in the immense effort to make them work. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Hey uh just wanted to echo everyone else by saying that this LP rules and I super appreciate the amount of effort going into it.

• Locked thread