Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
This will have to go on hiatus for a while... My hard drive failed this week and I lost (at least) my backlog of the next 3 updates! If I lost more files like codec call recordings it will be a long wait.
I flew too close to the LP sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

As I understand it, the first Metal Gear got localized and translated poorly. It removes Metal Gear as an end boss, and makes some other changes to the layout (because Konami of America told them to make it as different from the MSX2 version as possible).

Snake's Revenge was commissioned by Konami as a sequel to Metal Gear, designed for the Western market, made by the same people (Ultra Games) who localized the NES port of Metal Gear, without Kojima's involvement. Kojima heard about this, and pitched his own sequel to Metal Gear, which became the official Metal Gear sequel.

I guess Metal Gear fans don't like it for the same reason that Bond fans don't like Never Say Never Again; because it wasn't created by the original team, which makes it non-canonical and sort of unofficial in a way; and because it's indicative of some struggle within the company itself (since the company went over the creator's head). I haven't seen how MGSV turned out (watch the LP!), but I think we will be thinking about that game in similar ways as Snake's Revenge further down the line.

Metal Gear NES mostly suffers from it being obviously rushed. The jungle start is a bad intro because of the translation errors, and the fact that it introduces you to the NES version's problems of enemy spawns that force you to be spotted in many conditions. The MSX version took into account where you enter a room from, and changes enemy spawns accordingly. There are other differences big and small, but overall I think the preference for the MSX version comes from the fact that it's newer and fresher to us, and it's noticeably more polished.

Also yes this LP owns.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

RJWaters2 posted:

This will have to go on hiatus for a while... My hard drive failed this week and I lost (at least) my backlog of the next 3 updates! If I lost more files like codec call recordings it will be a long wait.
I flew too close to the LP sun.

Avatar/post combo... ouch, dude. We'll still be here when you recover, though. Also, start making backups; I have some gripes with it, but CrashPlan is free for local backups and much better than none at all.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

I have multiple backup hard drives but forget how much of what was backed up where. And until I get a new hard drive with an operating system, I can't check any of them. If my backup internal drive is also corrupted, then I think I lost 100% of the LP so far!

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Putting Ubuntu on a USB stick can work in a pinch. I wouldn't use it for more than just surveying the damage, though.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
When my hard drives decide to gently caress up, they're usually still able to be coerced into being recognized by the computer, and I can take off some stuff that doesn't cause it to lock up,. It's often all the nonessential stuff like those files, so that's potentially an option for you once you get the ability to take a look.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

OK, it's going to be the shorter hiatus. I lost half of the next update and the 2 after it. When do threads go into archives? 3 months?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

6 months IIRC

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Plan Z posted:

Metal Gear NES mostly suffers from it being obviously rushed. The jungle start is a bad intro because of the translation errors, and the fact that it introduces you to the NES version's problems of enemy spawns that force you to be spotted in many conditions. The MSX version took into account where you enter a room from, and changes enemy spawns accordingly. There are other differences big and small, but overall I think the preference for the MSX version comes from the fact that it's newer and fresher to us, and it's noticeably more polished.

I dunno if this is really a ~problem~ seeing as how all the times you're forced into getting caught you can just run out of the room. I would argue that the NES version being more open world (they turned three buildings into 5/6 and spread them through a jungle) and having slightly better guards (they either made their vision range slightly bigger or made snake bigger so you can't QUITE as easily just stand right in front guards and have them miss looking at you because you're 1 pixel out of their vision line) are noticeable improvements over the base game.

The big problems with NES metal gear are

- The translation sort of makes the game unwinable because it doesn't explain lots of important things properly
- The music is worse
- Metal Gear isn't actually in the game but that boss fight sucks so who cares
- Multiple lost woods type areas with literally no solution given in game meaning the game is basically unbeatable without a guide or even more trial and error than you need to find the bomb-able walls

As for snakes revenge, it's a pretty awesome game actually in the context of 1990. It's not on the level of actual metal gear 2 but compared to either version of the first metal gear it blows it out of the water. It also has a bunch of things that would go on to be in later metal gear games but ~aren't~ in metal gear 2

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

darealkooky posted:

It also has a bunch of things that would go on to be in later metal gear games but ~aren't~ in metal gear 2

Could you give an example?

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Probably shouldn't because of the spoiler policy. We'll get to Metal Gear NES, Snake's Revenge, and the rest someday too.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

All right! I'm alive again! Let's go!

Mission Log

Snake saves President Baker from FOX-HOUND member Revolver Ocelot.

However, he has already given away the detonation code. The only thing that can stop the launch of the nuclear warhead is by Meryl, or Metal Gear chief engineer Dr. Hal Emmerich. After talking to Snake, Baker also dies from a heart attack.

Snake refers to the Codec frequency on the back of the CD case and tries contacting Meryl.

Some new info added to the characters, weapons, and items sections. It's really strange that the mission log skips right over the part where a cyborg ninja cuts off Ocelot's hand (I copy Mission Log verbatim from the game).

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 22, 2016

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Yay, an update!

All the desks in this game have different clutter on them, to be more realistic. Kojima wanted some obsessive level of detail even in this game, I guess.

Meryl's CODEC frequency being on the back of the game box is one of the first fourth-wall breaks (apart from "PUSH THE SELECT BUTTON"), but it won't be the last.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Excellent lesson on the health benefits of smoking.

One of the best parts of this lp is watching you fool around to pad out footage for the codec calls. It causes the videos to be just as serious as the series deserves.

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH
Okay, there is just something fantastic about watching Nastasha pontificate about cardboard boxes for a minute.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I just wanted to chime in to say this LP is fantastic and I'm blown away by how much effort you're putting into this. These videos deserve way more views.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yay, you're back. :neckbeard:

Some two-cents:

* When I first played MGS I thought that Snake could see the lasers because the cigarettes gave him some kind of special ability because the cigarettes were also special because he managed to sneak them inside his stomach because videogames.

* Because of the CD case that you had in-game, that was also my first thought to where I should look to find that drat frequency. Adding to that, my copy was a bootleg copy and thus it only had the front cover printed on my actual CD case. It didn't even cross my mind at the time that the game was referring to the actual game case. Thank god for GameFAQs.

* It always felt strange that the Hangar outer door is security level 2 while the inner door is level 5. I don't think there's any actual reason except gameplay, but still. Also, if you trigger the gas in the airlock, you have to watch Snake slowly choke to death every time so that's fun.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Snakes don't belong in Alaska!

Mission Log

Snake rescues Baker, but just like the DARPA chief, he dies from a heart attack. The terrorists already know Baker's detonation code as well. The only thing that can stop the launch of the nuclear warhead is the detonation code emergency override key held by Meryl, or Metal Gear chief engineer Dr. Hal Emmerich. Snake, successfully contacting Meryl, opens the door on the first floor to the north of the tank hangar with her help. To rescue Dr. Emmerich, Snake goes out of the cargo exit and heads for the nuclear warhead storage building up north.

In the meantime, Snake finds out of the existence of a minefield through a call from a man who calls himself Deepthroat. Snake tries to go across the minefield.

This boss fight was literally unbelievable to me when I first played the game. I thought it was a scripted loss, because there's no way a single man can take on a tank and win.

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011
The ways you kill time in the codec videos continue to be entertaining. I'm surprised you could actually shoot the gunners with bullets.

Also, I like the new images/icons for the videos. It makes things much clearer when glancing at the first post.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Does it say something about the series that I could 100% see them actually doing the 30 min combat boost thing?

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

So I don't have to worry about this island turning into a pile of smoking rubble?

Mission Log
Snake must try to rescue the Metal Gear chief engineer Dr. Hal Emmerich to find out how to stop the nuclear launch. With the help of Meryl, Snake gets through the tank hangar to the valley.
However FOX-HOUND member Vulcan Raven and his M1 tank were waiting for him.

Dodging the attack of the tank cannon and destroying the tank, Snake succeeds in infiltrating the nuclear warhead storage building.

He heads for the 2nd floor basement where Dr. Emmerich is trapped.

For the first time, we have an update with very little plot advancement! This is also the last time, as we now enter the second act of the game. The VR Missions in this update are my favorite variety of missions: anything involving the Nikita weapon, and the new category, the Mystery missions!

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 4, 2016

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

RJWaters2 posted:

So I don't have to worry about this island turning into a pile of smoking rubble?

Mission Log
Snake must try to rescue the Metal Gear chief engineer Dr. Hal Emmerich to find out how to stop the nuclear launch. With the help of Meryl, Snake gets through the tank hangar to the valley.
However FOX-HOUND member Vulcan Raven and his M1 tank were waiting for him.

Dodging the attack of the tank cannon and destroying the tank, Snake succeeds in infiltrating the nuclear warhead storage building.

He heads for the 2nd floor basement where Dr. Emmerich is trapped.

For the first time, we have an update with very little plot advancement! This is also the last time, as we now enter the second act of the game. The VR Missions in this update are my favorite variety of missions: anything involving the Nikita weapon, and the new category, the Mystery missions!

Er, the mystery VR mission link doesn't work.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I'm always stoked when I see another update to this, it's akin to the wait between releases of a book series.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

WilliamAnderson posted:

Er, the mystery VR mission link doesn't work.

:iiam: Whoops, fixed.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's funny how voice actors return in this series. Greg Eagles, the VA for Deepthroat, also plays the Derpa Chief, and also Peter Stillman in Metal Gear Solid 2. He was the guy who killed his soul, if you recall.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Oh my god it's the first time I've heard about the mystery missions, and they are amazing. :allears:

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Make me feel alive again!

Mission Log
Snake must try to rescue the Metal Gear chief engineer Dr. Hal Emmerich to find out how to stop the nuclear launch.

Floors with high voltage electric currents blocked his way in the nuclear warhead storage building 2nd floor basement, but with Deepthroat's advice,
Snake destroys the electric control panel with a remote missile and goes past this area.

Snake heads for the northeast of the nuclear warhead storage building 2nd floor basement.

This game throws boss fights at us like candy! No VR missions with boss fights, but I did add the final character entry to the OP. Click to learn all about the Metal Gear chief engineer and see a schematic for REX itself. :eng101:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Honestly, out of all the boss fights in Metal Gear, Cyber Ninja has the most exploitable pattern. This guy is so easy bait, it's funny.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

You are still doing this. Yay. :neckbeard:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
every time this thread pops up again I forget how far we actually are in the game until I start the video.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
A fun time to watch as usual.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

mateo360 posted:

every time this thread pops up again I forget how far we actually are in the game until I start the video.

I had the same problem, and I'm in the goddamn thing. Which inspired the Mission Log portion of the update posts! I'd say we're about 2/5 of the way done now.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Bookmarked this back when it started and finally caught up and I'm really liking this. I played this game a lot when it was new and I'm learning new things like there being alternate cutscenes or dialogue.
You can shoot the Ninja with the Nikita can't you? Does it just skip the dialogue about switching to hand-to-hand combat or is there something different? I can't remember.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Demicol posted:

Bookmarked this back when it started and finally caught up and I'm really liking this. I played this game a lot when it was new and I'm learning new things like there being alternate cutscenes or dialogue.
You can shoot the Ninja with the Nikita can't you? Does it just skip the dialogue about switching to hand-to-hand combat or is there something different? I can't remember.

Speaking of the Nikita. It's been ages since I played the original version. So I forget if you were allowed to swing the nikita launcher itself as a melee attack, or if that was later added in Twin Snakes.

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011

Section Z posted:

Speaking of the Nikita. It's been ages since I played the original version. So I forget if you were allowed to swing the nikita launcher itself as a melee attack, or if that was later added in Twin Snakes.

I just checked real quick in VR missions and Snake still does his punch punch kick combo when you have it equipped.

For the update, I never knew they gave all those dramatic camera angles for the soldiers in the hallway. If I ever wanted to inspect the bodies I would have used the binoculars and first person view and not walk up to them and crouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Demicol posted:

You aren't allowed to equip the Nikita in the original during the fight. In any area where the radar is being jammed, the Nikita is No Use, and the ninja jams the radar. You can't see this because the radar is hidden during most boss fights.

• Locked thread