Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Plan Z posted:

Metal Gear NES mostly suffers from it being obviously rushed. The jungle start is a bad intro because of the translation errors, and the fact that it introduces you to the NES version's problems of enemy spawns that force you to be spotted in many conditions. The MSX version took into account where you enter a room from, and changes enemy spawns accordingly. There are other differences big and small, but overall I think the preference for the MSX version comes from the fact that it's newer and fresher to us, and it's noticeably more polished.

I dunno if this is really a ~problem~ seeing as how all the times you're forced into getting caught you can just run out of the room. I would argue that the NES version being more open world (they turned three buildings into 5/6 and spread them through a jungle) and having slightly better guards (they either made their vision range slightly bigger or made snake bigger so you can't QUITE as easily just stand right in front guards and have them miss looking at you because you're 1 pixel out of their vision line) are noticeable improvements over the base game.

The big problems with NES metal gear are

- The translation sort of makes the game unwinable because it doesn't explain lots of important things properly
- The music is worse
- Metal Gear isn't actually in the game but that boss fight sucks so who cares
- Multiple lost woods type areas with literally no solution given in game meaning the game is basically unbeatable without a guide or even more trial and error than you need to find the bomb-able walls

As for snakes revenge, it's a pretty awesome game actually in the context of 1990. It's not on the level of actual metal gear 2 but compared to either version of the first metal gear it blows it out of the water. It also has a bunch of things that would go on to be in later metal gear games but ~aren't~ in metal gear 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I'm always stoked when I see another update to this, it's akin to the wait between releases of a book series.

• Locked thread