Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Click here for Mobile-Friendly OP
:siren: No spoilers. No spoiler tags. No wink-wink coy spoilers (scoylers). :siren:
Games not under spoiler rule: Metal Gear (MSX), Snatcher, Metal Gear 2 (MSX2), Policenauts (just for references to)
Games under no-spoiler rule: Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Ghost Babel, every game released after MGS1

Metal Gear Solid is the action-adventure stealth game that popularized the genre. Released for the PlayStation in 1998, Metal Gear Solid mixed cinematic presentation and unique gameplay to become a best-seller and fan favorite. The game was directed, produced and co-written by Hideo Kojima and serves as a sequel to the MSX2 versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. The title "Solid" has several meanings - the game's protagonist is Solid Snake, but it also alludes to the "solid" 3D graphics.
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions is a separate game released one year later. VR Missions has no plot, but serves as 300+ mini-missions to train the player on the game's mechanics. In Japan, these VR missions were included in a re-release of MGS1 titled Metal Gear Solid: Integral.

The LP
A few years ago, Instant Grat created a thread for experimental LPs. My submission was "Metal Gear Solid Let's Plays itself", where the game's codec call conversations played out over gameplay. Now the award-winning concept is a full-fledged LP!

There will be "Non-Codec" and "Codec" versions of each update. The Non-Codec versions don't have optional codec calls, where the Codec versions will have every codec call. Because of the glut of information in the Codec versions, I recommend those only to people familiar with the game, or after watching the Non-Codec version.
Like the codec calls, the videos for VR missions appear when contextually relevant to the main game. All versions of each update contain links to the same VR missions (you won't miss any by skipping non-codec videos). Some people don't care about these, so I made them optional links.

This is a spoiler-free LP. Joining me on the LP is Blindcat. He is a poor soul who never played Metal Gear, so I'm acting as his seeing-eye dog through the franchise. Any Metal Gear games released before this one are fair game (Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2) as they are heavily referenced in MGS1. We will also point out references to Snatcher and Policenauts, but not about their plots.

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 7, 2016

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Gharbad the Weak posted:

So, after investigation, what I'm thinking after clicking a few buttons is:

Phone: Optional Codecs
Word balloons: Full Commentary
Scissors: Summarized game, rather than a full gameplay.

I added a legend to hopefully clear this up.
The phone is codecs on/off, and the talk bubble is commentary cut/full. So it reads: "Codec off, cut/full" or "Codec on, cut/full".
Likewise, the scissors are "Cut" or "Uncut, part 1/2/3".

E. Also, both Non-Codec/Codec FullCom videos have the same commentary over cutscenes (the one recorded first) so watching either one will get you Blindcat's natural reactions.

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 13, 2016

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

There's actually a codec call explaining that, too.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Mission Log

The nuclear weapons disposal facility on Shadow Moses Island in Alaska's Fox Archipelago was captured by terrorists. They're demanding that the US government turn over the remains of "The Legendary Soldier" Big Boss and they are saying that if their demands are not met within 24 hours, they'll launch a nuclear weapon. Asked by the US government to settle the situation, former FOX-HOUND member Solid Snake succeeds in the infiltration of the nuclear weapons disposal facility.

Now he must try to rescue the DARPA Chief.

Now with links in the OP to the VR Missions!

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 4, 2016

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Tell me if this counts as a spoiler, but searchlights, footprints, and different levels of elevation don't really come into the rest of the game.

I talk about this a lot in the VR videos. The design of the game doesn't support how deep the mechanics are, which is partly why VR Missions exists at all. And you might not remember how many areas do use different elevation well. I can only think of one sneaking area that is entirely flat.

TyrantSabre posted:

May I ask if you plan on extending this concept to the other MGS games, if you survive the heavy editing and hours of audio in the first game?

The original plan (like, 5 years ago) was to make an MGS3 LP like this one. I still want to do MGS2 and MGS3 like this, but don't know if the format can extend to 4+, with the reduced emphasis on codec.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Do you have a playlist up with the uncut stuff?

Separate ones for the Non-Codec and Codec videos.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

:science:
MacGyver episode airdate: September 29, 1985
Metal Gear 2 puzzle: July 20, 1990

I know MacGyver also built a hang glider once. I should watch to see what else Kojima thought was cool.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Mission Log

The nuclear weapons disposal facility on Shadow Moses Island in Alaska's Fox Archipelago was captured by terrorists. They're demanding that the US government turn over the remains of "The Legendary Soldier" Big Boss and they are saying that if their demands are not met within 24 hours, they'll launch a nuclear weapon. Asked by the US government to settle the situation, former FOX-HOUND member Solid Snake succeeds in the infiltration of the nuclear weapons disposal facility.

Now he must try to rescue the DARPA Chief.

Between the previous video and this one, we went on recording hiatus for over a year. As such, this and all following videos have higher quality audio and jokes.
With this update, we have a full support staff! More people to call makes for longer [Codec] videos and more creative liberties with creating context (making Snake look like an idiot).

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 4, 2016

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Sorry that updates are slow. There are over 600 optional codec calls in Metal Gear Solid and much of this has to be planned/recorded many videos out before a video can be made.
So here's a peek into the process, for the curious.

All subtitles in the game are stored in plain text on the disk. These were sorted by character and split into conversations.

Then each conversation was recorded from the PC port (the only version with music volume control) and isolated.

Next, each call has to go somewhere in some video, so they are all split up by video. The last step (which is all I have left to do between updates) is to sort these pieces into a narrative, record the game timed to the calls, and put the puzzle together.

I started with a backlog but want to space them out because I worry that running out will lead to a long hiatus. I considered doing half-updates instead, with a codec or non-codec video each week, if people would rather that.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Mission Log

The nuclear weapons disposal facility on Shadow Moses Island in Alaska's Fox Archipelago was captured by terrorists. They're demanding that the US government turn over the remains of "The Legendary Soldier" Big Boss and they are saying that if their demands are not met within 24 hours, they'll launch a nuclear weapon. Asked by the US government to settle the situation, Snake overhears the enemies' conversation that the DARPA Chief is locked up in the cell on the first floor basement of the tank hanger.

Snake gets in touch with the DARPA Chief. But the Chief says that the terrorists found out one of the two detonation codes necessary to launch the nuclear warhead. The Chief tells Snake that it is possible to deactivate the detonation code by using the detonation code emergency override key held by ArmsTech President Kenneth Baker who is trapped on the 2nd floor basement. However, right after that, he dies from a heart attack right in front of Snake...

If you've been skipping the non-codec videos, I strongly suggest watching this one. :marc:

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 4, 2016

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Mission Log

Snake gets in touch with the DARPA Chief. But the Chief says that the terrorists found out one of the two detonation codes necessary to launch the nuclear warhead. The Chief tells Snake that it is possible to deactivate the detonation code by using the detonation code emergency override key held by ArmsTech President Kenneth Baker who is trapped on the 2nd floor basement.

However, right after that, he dies from a heart attack. Snake cooperates with a female soldier that he met and escapes the cell and heads for the 2nd floor basement of the tank hangar to rescue Baker.

No VR videos this update. I added mission logs to all the update posts. When you load a save in MGS1, you are given a summary of events so far with some sweet Shinkawa art. They're the worst translated and proofread parts of the game!

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Apr 4, 2016

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

This will have to go on hiatus for a while... My hard drive failed this week and I lost (at least) my backlog of the next 3 updates! If I lost more files like codec call recordings it will be a long wait.
I flew too close to the LP sun.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

I have multiple backup hard drives but forget how much of what was backed up where. And until I get a new hard drive with an operating system, I can't check any of them. If my backup internal drive is also corrupted, then I think I lost 100% of the LP so far!

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

OK, it's going to be the shorter hiatus. I lost half of the next update and the 2 after it. When do threads go into archives? 3 months?

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Probably shouldn't because of the spoiler policy. We'll get to Metal Gear NES, Snake's Revenge, and the rest someday too.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

All right! I'm alive again! Let's go!

Mission Log

Snake saves President Baker from FOX-HOUND member Revolver Ocelot.

However, he has already given away the detonation code. The only thing that can stop the launch of the nuclear warhead is by Meryl, or Metal Gear chief engineer Dr. Hal Emmerich. After talking to Snake, Baker also dies from a heart attack.

Snake refers to the Codec frequency on the back of the CD case and tries contacting Meryl.

Some new info added to the characters, weapons, and items sections. It's really strange that the mission log skips right over the part where a cyborg ninja cuts off Ocelot's hand (I copy Mission Log verbatim from the game).

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 22, 2016

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Snakes don't belong in Alaska!

Mission Log

Snake rescues Baker, but just like the DARPA chief, he dies from a heart attack. The terrorists already know Baker's detonation code as well. The only thing that can stop the launch of the nuclear warhead is the detonation code emergency override key held by Meryl, or Metal Gear chief engineer Dr. Hal Emmerich. Snake, successfully contacting Meryl, opens the door on the first floor to the north of the tank hangar with her help. To rescue Dr. Emmerich, Snake goes out of the cargo exit and heads for the nuclear warhead storage building up north.

In the meantime, Snake finds out of the existence of a minefield through a call from a man who calls himself Deepthroat. Snake tries to go across the minefield.

This boss fight was literally unbelievable to me when I first played the game. I thought it was a scripted loss, because there's no way a single man can take on a tank and win.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

So I don't have to worry about this island turning into a pile of smoking rubble?

Mission Log
Snake must try to rescue the Metal Gear chief engineer Dr. Hal Emmerich to find out how to stop the nuclear launch. With the help of Meryl, Snake gets through the tank hangar to the valley.
However FOX-HOUND member Vulcan Raven and his M1 tank were waiting for him.

Dodging the attack of the tank cannon and destroying the tank, Snake succeeds in infiltrating the nuclear warhead storage building.

He heads for the 2nd floor basement where Dr. Emmerich is trapped.

For the first time, we have an update with very little plot advancement! This is also the last time, as we now enter the second act of the game. The VR Missions in this update are my favorite variety of missions: anything involving the Nikita weapon, and the new category, the Mystery missions!

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 4, 2016

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

WilliamAnderson posted:

Er, the mystery VR mission link doesn't work.

:iiam: Whoops, fixed.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Make me feel alive again!

Mission Log
Snake must try to rescue the Metal Gear chief engineer Dr. Hal Emmerich to find out how to stop the nuclear launch.

Floors with high voltage electric currents blocked his way in the nuclear warhead storage building 2nd floor basement, but with Deepthroat's advice,
Snake destroys the electric control panel with a remote missile and goes past this area.

Snake heads for the northeast of the nuclear warhead storage building 2nd floor basement.

This game throws boss fights at us like candy! No VR missions with boss fights, but I did add the final character entry to the OP. Click to learn all about the Metal Gear chief engineer and see a schematic for REX itself. :eng101:

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

mateo360 posted:

every time this thread pops up again I forget how far we actually are in the game until I start the video.

I had the same problem, and I'm in the goddamn thing. Which inspired the Mission Log portion of the update posts! I'd say we're about 2/5 of the way done now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Demicol posted:

Bookmarked this back when it started and finally caught up and I'm really liking this. I played this game a lot when it was new and I'm learning new things like there being alternate cutscenes or dialogue.
You can shoot the Ninja with the Nikita can't you? Does it just skip the dialogue about switching to hand-to-hand combat or is there something different? I can't remember.

You aren't allowed to equip the Nikita in the original during the fight. In any area where the radar is being jammed, the Nikita is No Use, and the ninja jams the radar. You can't see this because the radar is hidden during most boss fights.

• Locked thread