Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The CODEC works by stimulating the small bones in your ears (and I think you could have an implant in your larynx to pick up subvocalisation) , but how the hell can you see the other person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Maybe there's a Dick Tracy-style camera wristwatch.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Excellent, Snake. Age hasn't slowed you down one bit. I'm only a bit ashamed that I knew that from memory.

The heliport area is interesting. Tell me if this counts as a spoiler, but searchlights, footprints, and different levels of elevation don't really come into the rest of the game. It's a weird vertical slice, in that it teaches you stuff that won't be all that useful. Chalk it up to Kojima being Kojima, I guess.

The format for this LP is really cool.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Did MacGyver ever make a flamethrower out of an aerosol can?

Other things Kojima likes; mullets, giant robots, nanomachines, repeating what the other guy just said as a question.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

drat, that's a lot of work. Seeing what goes into it, I'm fine with waiting.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

As I understand it, the first Metal Gear got localized and translated poorly. It removes Metal Gear as an end boss, and makes some other changes to the layout (because Konami of America told them to make it as different from the MSX2 version as possible).

Snake's Revenge was commissioned by Konami as a sequel to Metal Gear, designed for the Western market, made by the same people (Ultra Games) who localized the NES port of Metal Gear, without Kojima's involvement. Kojima heard about this, and pitched his own sequel to Metal Gear, which became the official Metal Gear sequel.

I guess Metal Gear fans don't like it for the same reason that Bond fans don't like Never Say Never Again; because it wasn't created by the original team, which makes it non-canonical and sort of unofficial in a way; and because it's indicative of some struggle within the company itself (since the company went over the creator's head). I haven't seen how MGSV turned out (watch the LP!), but I think we will be thinking about that game in similar ways as Snake's Revenge further down the line.

Philippe fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 9, 2016

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

darealkooky posted:

It also has a bunch of things that would go on to be in later metal gear games but ~aren't~ in metal gear 2

Could you give an example?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Yay, an update!

All the desks in this game have different clutter on them, to be more realistic. Kojima wanted some obsessive level of detail even in this game, I guess.

Meryl's CODEC frequency being on the back of the game box is one of the first fourth-wall breaks (apart from "PUSH THE SELECT BUTTON"), but it won't be the last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's funny how voice actors return in this series. Greg Eagles, the VA for Deepthroat, also plays the Derpa Chief, and also Peter Stillman in Metal Gear Solid 2. He was the guy who killed his soul, if you recall.

• Locked thread