Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012
It was only a matter of time before it devolved to this so here it is nice and early.

what is your favourite sharp piece of metal to take into the field/forest/mall?

here is a few of mine

from left to right: 1.Becker BK7 2. some piece of poo poo i picked up at a surplus store... 3. cold steel kukri machete 4. another POS surplus knife... 5. Gerber armor tanto 6. Kabar lookatmydick.

Usually the BK7 comes out with me its nice and meaty but I always have to take something smaller for more delicate work( whittling, dressing etc.) so the POS surplus knife works just great plus it came with a neat sheath.

The gerber is more of an EDC along with my multitool that I stole was issued from the military.

I took the coating off the Becker just because I like the look of the steel as opposed to that epoxy coating that it came with.

What do you take out with you? why does my stuff suck? whats so good about yours? How did you turn your hard earned dollars into something you are embarrassed to show your family?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
Thanks for starting this thread!

Ok, me. Don't laugh.

This aside, to me just as important as the knife is how you sharpen it. I'm a huge fan of silicon carbide polishing sandpaper and have a collection of grits from 240 to 7000 (for already sharp knives I usually just maintain with 3000 - 7000, Matador brand, highly recommend). More disposable and less fun than a sharpening stone, but much less finicky too, I end up sharpening more often because of this. You won't believe how well a mirror-finished edge cuts, better than factory sharpened :)

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
This is by far my favorite knife, good for carving and whittling, and I've never needed anything more.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

City knife, hiking knife, pretending I'm Rambo knife, hunting knife, auto whittler.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I got a nice manual Bench Made folding knife that I've had for years. It's simple, rugged, and works for me.

Multitools, I prefer Gerbers. Something about being able to flick out the pliers one-handed appeals to me.

Garmann
Nov 4, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I just use the knife that's on my leatherman, I mostly do multi day treks so I don't want to carry more stuff than I need to and I've never had the need for a bigger knife.

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012

Epitope posted:

auto whittler.

Pencil sharpeners are the cats rear end.

kelvron posted:

Multitools, I prefer Gerbers. Something about being able to flick out the pliers one-handed appeals to me.
The one i got always makes me feel like im doing something much cooler than trying to bend the generator on a stove back into place.

Garmann posted:

I just use the knife that's on my leatherman, I mostly do multi day treks so I don't want to carry more stuff than I need to and I've never had the need for a bigger knife.

The meaty knife helps when you dont want to pack a stove and have to burn a forest. It beats a hatchet IMHO.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm in a wilderness survival techniques half-course in university right now and a few days ago in the announcements there was a post that gave recommendations on good knives and saws to buy. I love my program. Haven't bought the type they recommended though, it's just fun seeing university posts about the best knives to get.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
knives are basically useless like 95% of the time for the backpacking I do and most of the time come in more handy for opening a bear can but I have a spiderco ladybug which is a handy little knife for under an ounce and while I haven't used it to gut a fish I pretty sure it'd do a fine job

I need to sharpen it though

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Lotka Volterra posted:

This is by far my favorite knife, good for carving and whittling, and I've never needed anything more.

mora 106 is a wonderful carving knife for the money, though i prefer the shorter 120

anyone getting into carving small things out of wood? mora is basically the only cheap factory produced entry level knife that will actually come sharp and stay sharp

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

That's not a knife

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

take a hike, retarded_clown_

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

I'm the kukri

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I just have an opinel knife because the only thing I use it for is opening a package of brie.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Benchmade Presidio Auto SBK. A friend owed me 20 bucks, and I sweetened the pot with a 10 dollar baton from Bud-K. Said friend was a bouncer at a swanky bar, and one of the servers found it after closing time.

Best built knife I've ever owned, but I wish I had the good fortune to stumble upon a less intimidating knife.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Wattup BK7 buddies

I bought mine in 2004 as a dumbass 18 year old joining the army. After clueing into the fact I was in fact an idiot, I picked up a more responsible Gerber folding something-or-other. At least I went for quality both times, they're both solid pieces that should be able to handle anything I'll ever need.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I'll update this with the comical picture of my knives later, but currently my go-to is a Kershaw 10" camp knife and a Mora Bushcraft knife with firesteel housed in the handle.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

That's not a knife

haha! australia!

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
unghghh god yeah finally a place to post my knives and poo poo

I like to get drunk and wave my poo poo around and point it at people whats up?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am p pleased with my little knife and how I rigged it:

Its a ESEE Izula. The rigging keeps it attached to me and out of the way, but when allowed to dangle it is easy and safe to use and resheath. The whole rig only weighs a few ounces. At some point I am going to swap it with an Isula II, which has the same blade but a slightly longer handle. I'm also going to swap the paracord with amsteel so it is actually useful.

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012

soy posted:

unghghh god yeah finally a place to post my knives and poo poo

I like to get drunk and wave my poo poo around and point it at people whats up?

Dat raptor tho. I want it with the tan handles. But i just use the disposable ones so i dont have to clean the blood off my own stuff.

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006

Used, beaten up Kabar
Spyderco Tenacious
ESEE Izula II
Some tiny Spyderco that is the most used out of all

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
Those of you with Becker 7s should check out the Becker 16. It's the number one knife I recommend when people come in and ask for a survival / do everything knife. The guy with the Izula has the right idea too, but I prefer the Becker Eskabar as it is less expensive.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

my knife is better because I use it to spread cream cheese on a bagel in the morning vs. urs which becomes inevitably stuck in the back of someone in front of u in the walmart queue when it's a bit too early in the morning and you get too impatient for ur skoal refills

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bongwizzard posted:

I am p pleased with my little knife and how I rigged it:

Its a ESEE Izula. The rigging keeps it attached to me and out of the way, but when allowed to dangle it is easy and safe to use and resheath. The whole rig only weighs a few ounces. At some point I am going to swap it with an Isula II, which has the same blade but a slightly longer handle. I'm also going to swap the paracord with amsteel so it is actually useful.

Did you weave the handle yourself? How did you learn how to do that? What is amsteel?

And a broader question, any of you mugs got a leatherman tread? What do you think of those? When I saw it was the first thing I ever considered wearing that could be thought of as jewelry.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

fakeaccount posted:

Did you weave the handle yourself? How did you learn how to do that? What is amsteel?

I did, there are like a million videos online showing different wraps. That one is a little messed up but it's still functional so I have not fixed it.

Amsteel is a brand name for a type of hollow braided synthetic rope. It is crazy strong, 7/64" line has a breaking strength of like 1600lbs, very easy to splice, it floats, and is decently abrasion resistant. It is everything that people want paracord to be. So by changing out my knife strap from para to amsteel I get a 16" loop that is safe to use up to ~450lbs rather then like maybe ~150lbs for knotted paracord.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
makes me wish fixed knives weren't illegal in a few of the cities i hike in :( so clean simple and functional.

any good lightweight folder suggestions? i've just been using a $8 chinese benchmade knockoff. it's actually surprisingly nice but kinda heavy for these purposes because they don't make good knockoffs with the g10 handles.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 13, 2016

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

makes me wish fixed knives weren't illegal in a few of the cities i hike in :( so clean simple and functional.

any good lightweight folder suggestions? i've just been using a $8 chinese benchmade knockoff. it's actually surprisingly nice but kinda heavy for these purposes because they don't make good knockoffs with the g10 handles.

What do you plan on doing with the knife? If all you need to do is cut stuff, than get an Opinel and call it good, they're wicked light, inexpensive, and just cool all around. They are not the most stout knives out there though, so if you want to baton wood or stupid poo poo like that they're not ideal.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Beardless posted:

What do you plan on doing with the knife? If all you need to do is cut stuff, than get an Opinel and call it good, they're wicked light, inexpensive, and just cool all around. They are not the most stout knives out there though, so if you want to baton wood or stupid poo poo like that they're not ideal.

http://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Companion-Outdoor-Military-4-1-Inch/dp/B004TNWD40/

literally all you need to spend for a debarking / self defense / batoning knife, the plastic sheath/belt clip is surprisingly useful too and mine shows no signs of wear yet

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

extra stout posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Companion-Outdoor-Military-4-1-Inch/dp/B004TNWD40/

literally all you need to spend for a debarking / self defense / batoning knife, the plastic sheath/belt clip is surprisingly useful too and mine shows no signs of wear yet

Moras are great, and I have that exact knife myself, but Tashan was looking for a folding knife, not a fixed blade.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Beardless posted:

Moras are great, and I have that exact knife myself, but Tashan was looking for a folding knife, not a fixed blade.

Reading is hard woops, I hate folding knives for the most part and the only one I really use is the Swiss Army knife one handed Trekker model, I think it's a 3.9" blade but disliked that it was half serrated. Also the bottle opener has a lock but not the folding saw, which is the the best reason to carry it.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
What's your budget on the knife? You do get what you pay for, up to a point. In the under $20 range, it's hard to beat an opinel for pure cutting. Under $50 street price, I'm a fan of the Kershaw Links, available with plastic or aluminum handle (the aluminum one lasers pretty easy so I sell a decent amount of those with personalized messages for people). Over $50 to $75 start looking at the various spydercos - you are paying for blade steel and nothing else with the plastic handled ones. $75 up, start looking for better quality steel - Kershaw Camber or S30V Blur, Benchmade 14715 with D2, Benchmade Griptilian.

After $150 your ROI starts dropping off rapidly and you start spending a lot more money without noticeable performance gains. IMHO, the Zero Tolerance 566 is about the perfect EDC working folder you can buy in this zone: http://www.onestopknifeshop.com/store/zero-tolerance-0566-hinderer-assisted-black.html

This is the number one knife I recommend to people who are looking for a quality knife that is going to last and they are tired of buying bullshit from Cabelas / Walmart / etc.

After this, prices start ramping up rapidly and you start seeing exotic steels like S110V, S90V, CPM20CV, CTS XHP, CTS 204P, M390, which are all great, but you are paying for them.

black children
Dec 14, 2009
i like that zero tolerance, pretty slick looking little blade

personally i always lose folding knives so i just go with el cheapos from REI or friendly local cutler.

black children
Dec 14, 2009

extra stout posted:

for an all-around bushcraft knife i actually prefer the Condor model
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CC6BSO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2NZG2B04CSXR8&coliid=I3Q20XFHU39TGI

it's a little more expensive but still extremely reasonably, and i really like the wooden handle as opposed to Mora's plastic one. I've seen several of those break under hard use, including my own. i've also seen some really, really lovely tangs on Moras hidden inside the plastic handle; this is full-tang. Don't get me wrong, I love Mora and i own several of their knives but I just think the Condor is a superior knife for long-term "bushcrafting". ymmv.

i also hate the loving ding-dong plastic piece of poo poo sheathe that comes with the Moras. of course, any bushcraft-y person worth their salt is gonna make their own sheath anyway :rolleyes: but the Condor comes with a nice leather one. Leather > plastic my darlings

black children
Dec 14, 2009

Lotka Volterra posted:

this, for example, is a hot loving knife. best thing for carving i've ever owned

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Is there an expensive knife I could use for cream cheese before u think this is a "troll" I'm serious and ready to buy the high life

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

The sharp knifes don't scoop well and spoons are embarrassing and damage the breads

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Thanks for the replies. Never really considered a budget, I usually like to have a good knife for serious backpacking & a poo poo sub$20 knife for daily beater/loving around in the woods duties.

I'm not a fan of folders either, and I've been having a real hard time finding anything light weight. Right now my go-to is the benchmade mini griptillian. Can't risk owning a fixed knife, I already almost got hosed pretty badly by arcane vaguely written local knife laws nobody has ever heard about. Lockless folders are also illegal in a couple different cities near me. 3" measured is the max blade length, rules out a bunch of stuff for being like 3.1"

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 18, 2016

black children
Dec 14, 2009

social vegan posted:

Is there an expensive knife I could use for cream cheese before u think this is a "troll" I'm serious and ready to buy the high life
lol @ thinking that cream cheese joke was so good the first time you decided to post it again 2 weeks later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

I'm serious it's not a joke a lot of butter knives are too thin but thanks for not helping twice

• Locked thread