Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
black children
Dec 14, 2009
i like that zero tolerance, pretty slick looking little blade

personally i always lose folding knives so i just go with el cheapos from REI or friendly local cutler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black children
Dec 14, 2009

extra stout posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Companion-Outdoor-Military-4-1-Inch/dp/B004TNWD40/

literally all you need to spend for a debarking / self defense / batoning knife, the plastic sheath/belt clip is surprisingly useful too and mine shows no signs of wear yet

for an all-around bushcraft knife i actually prefer the Condor model
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CC6BSO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2NZG2B04CSXR8&coliid=I3Q20XFHU39TGI

it's a little more expensive but still extremely reasonably, and i really like the wooden handle as opposed to Mora's plastic one. I've seen several of those break under hard use, including my own. i've also seen some really, really lovely tangs on Moras hidden inside the plastic handle; this is full-tang. Don't get me wrong, I love Mora and i own several of their knives but I just think the Condor is a superior knife for long-term "bushcrafting". ymmv.

i also hate the loving ding-dong plastic piece of poo poo sheathe that comes with the Moras. of course, any bushcraft-y person worth their salt is gonna make their own sheath anyway :rolleyes: but the Condor comes with a nice leather one. Leather > plastic my darlings

black children
Dec 14, 2009

Lotka Volterra posted:

This is by far my favorite knife, good for carving and whittling, and I've never needed anything more.

this, for example, is a hot loving knife. best thing for carving i've ever owned

black children
Dec 14, 2009

social vegan posted:

Is there an expensive knife I could use for cream cheese before u think this is a "troll" I'm serious and ready to buy the high life
lol @ thinking that cream cheese joke was so good the first time you decided to post it again 2 weeks later

black children
Dec 14, 2009
goons with spoons might be able to help

black children
Dec 14, 2009
the sheathes are borderline unusable to begin with, just make a new one. you can buy leather and rivets at any crafts store

black children
Dec 14, 2009
yeah i'm just talking about the basic mora, i don't really know the numbers. and i'm also pretty dumb and full of drugs right now. my buddy had that same green mora with the rubber handle you posted, and the handle broke off within like 10 minutes of batoning with it. the tang was like maybe 3/4 of an inch long inside the handle. i dunno if they're all that way but i'd be careful using it roughly. then again if you've been bushcrafting with it for a while it's probably fine. he might have just gotten a fluke but i have to admit it was pretty dismaying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black children
Dec 14, 2009
or just kill a squirrel for free

• Locked thread