Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Lotka Volterra posted:

This is by far my favorite knife, good for carving and whittling, and I've never needed anything more.

mora 106 is a wonderful carving knife for the money, though i prefer the shorter 120

anyone getting into carving small things out of wood? mora is basically the only cheap factory produced entry level knife that will actually come sharp and stay sharp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Beardless posted:

What do you plan on doing with the knife? If all you need to do is cut stuff, than get an Opinel and call it good, they're wicked light, inexpensive, and just cool all around. They are not the most stout knives out there though, so if you want to baton wood or stupid poo poo like that they're not ideal.

http://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Companion-Outdoor-Military-4-1-Inch/dp/B004TNWD40/

literally all you need to spend for a debarking / self defense / batoning knife, the plastic sheath/belt clip is surprisingly useful too and mine shows no signs of wear yet

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Beardless posted:

Moras are great, and I have that exact knife myself, but Tashan was looking for a folding knife, not a fixed blade.

Reading is hard woops, I hate folding knives for the most part and the only one I really use is the Swiss Army knife one handed Trekker model, I think it's a 3.9" blade but disliked that it was half serrated. Also the bottle opener has a lock but not the folding saw, which is the the best reason to carry it.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

social vegan posted:

I'm serious it's not a joke a lot of butter knives are too thin but thanks for not helping twice

if you carve your own butter or whatever spreader you can choose the wood, grain, finish, depth, length and angle/sharpness

they're not very hard, even easier than carving spoons because you don't need a hook knife for a bowl and you don't even need it to have any special curve or fit in your mouth

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
idk if you guys are talking about mora 106/120 knives because they absolutely are just a sheath for the sake of not getting cut when you reach into your drawer, the one on that beefier rubber handled mora is still holding up really nicely for me

• Locked thread