Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am p pleased with my little knife and how I rigged it:

Its a ESEE Izula. The rigging keeps it attached to me and out of the way, but when allowed to dangle it is easy and safe to use and resheath. The whole rig only weighs a few ounces. At some point I am going to swap it with an Isula II, which has the same blade but a slightly longer handle. I'm also going to swap the paracord with amsteel so it is actually useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

fakeaccount posted:

Did you weave the handle yourself? How did you learn how to do that? What is amsteel?

I did, there are like a million videos online showing different wraps. That one is a little messed up but it's still functional so I have not fixed it.

Amsteel is a brand name for a type of hollow braided synthetic rope. It is crazy strong, 7/64" line has a breaking strength of like 1600lbs, very easy to splice, it floats, and is decently abrasion resistant. It is everything that people want paracord to be. So by changing out my knife strap from para to amsteel I get a 16" loop that is safe to use up to ~450lbs rather then like maybe ~150lbs for knotted paracord.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

extra stout posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Companion-Outdoor-Military-4-1-Inch/dp/B004TNWD40/

literally all you need to spend for a debarking / self defense / batoning knife, the plastic sheath/belt clip is surprisingly useful too and mine shows no signs of wear yet

They are good knives but the sheaths loosen to unusable levels pretty quickly. My attempts to find aftermarket ones really pan out.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
They are all short tang iirc. My only complaint really is the crappy sheath, I have never felt the need to hammer on a knife.

• Locked thread