Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

On a related note, I also just realized literally last week that Tondc was literally Washington D.C.

I am not an observant woman.

I had that same realization. :hfive:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

OK!! Lets start the Clarke season 3 body count pool. I'm going with 500 minimum.

I think they'll tone it down a bit for her body count, I'll wager under 200.

But my friend and I were pondering this: is somebody (at least relatively) important going to die in the first episode? I think so!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

The Iron Rose posted:

On a related note, I also just realized literally last week that Tondc was literally Washington D.C.

I only realized that from reading this thread, so you're not the only one. I figured it was just some random name spelled like Tawndisi or something. It makes me feel extra silly because some of the grounder words are derived from English phrases anyway. When Indra (I think that's her name, Lexa's second) says "quiet" (according to the subtitles) in grounder she actually says "shutup" in a light accent.

Anyway, I just got caught up on the show via Netflix (the CW is awesome at getting their shows up in time to get caught up), and I am unbelievably stoked for next season. I'm going to go toward the lower spectrum of the Clarke kill count bet and guess ~300.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You're supposed to. You hear it several times before seeing it written.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm gunna go for a solid 300 wrt Clarke's body count, because while it's definitely gunna be toned down this season apparently a war's going to happen and that's going to mean more mass murder tough choices.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
500 makes sense to me. I think she's going to spend the first half of the season agonizing over being That Person again before something really bad happens and she strikes back with a fury unseen since the nuclear apocalypse that ended the last world

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Aphrodite posted:

According to the trailer this actually happens.

Those might be farther away grounders though. I highly doubt that Mt. Weather was policing the whole continent, let alone much beyond what was right near them. They only had so many missiles, and it's not like the acid fog was a real mobile or far reaching weapon.

And my thought is 736 dead this season by Clarke's direct actions, I'm not really going to count poo poo like the missile strike.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
As long as she eclipses the 1000 mark I'll be happy. Go get 'em slugger!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I'll try to keep the kill count updated every week. :black101:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
There was a grounded in the Dead Zone with an RPG so clearly the Mountain Men's power extended only so far. Or it was a plot hole.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There was a grounded in the Dead Zone with an RPG so clearly the Mountain Men's power extended only so far. Or it was a plot hole.

I mean, even if they could shoot missiles that far, they would have to be able to see them. There was surveillance and reconnaissance around Mt. Weather.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

OK!! Lets start the Clarke season 3 body count pool. I'm going with 500 minimum.

133 people and 1 dead AI

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
In a shocking twist, Clarke's only casualty will be...her mom.

Edit: only counting death by her hand or orders. Lots of peeps gonna die this season.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
As much fun as Genghis Clarke is and hoping she commits more mass murder every season I hope they don't go balls out for it if/when they do. Then again Mt. Weather was done well so I have faith it won't literally be crazy ol' Clarke having to stop a war through literal M.A.D.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sober posted:

As much fun as Genghis Clarke is and hoping she commits more mass murder every season I hope they don't go balls out for it if/when they do. Then again Mt. Weather was done well so I have faith it won't literally be crazy ol' Clarke having to stop a war through literal M.A.D.

Honestly, I bet if the nuke gets used by people, it's to take out the AI. Like the AI is trying to use it as a failsafe to allow it to be the architect of a new society, and Clarke is like gently caress that and Raven finds a way to rig it to blow and take the AI with it.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Regardless, one thing is certain: Clarke is the one who knocks

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
For the OP: A nice gif of Jasper loving murdering some dude in cold blood. Couldn't find a larger one but I feel it gets the point across. :black101:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Snak posted:

Honestly, I bet if the nuke gets used by people, it's to take out the AI. Like the AI is trying to use it as a failsafe to allow it to be the architect of a new society, and Clarke is like gently caress that and Raven finds a way to rig it to blow and take the AI with it.

Turning a nuke into an EMP is tradition.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Snak posted:

Hopefully it doesn't take Raven with it :ohdear:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

Hopefully it doesn't take Raven with it :ohdear:

Yeah, but maybe Murphy will do it. They've put him on a redemptive arc, and him suicide nuking skynet would be a pretty epic way for him to go out.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Turning a nuke into an EMP is tradition.

This is the 100. Raven will turn it into a dozen smaller nukes each with the same payload as the original.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Someone mentioned earlier how Lexa could face blowback from making a deal with the Mountain Men and then the Sky People going on to win the battle anyway. I think this is right, and it's going to give Indra the opportunity for a coup. If Indra takes over, then Octavia will be second to the commander. This will give Indra diplomatic advantages with the Skaïkru.

Yes I looked up that spelling on The 100 wiki.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Grounders believe you become Commander via reincarnation, though. It's unclear how much influence a "coup leader" can have over that without knowing the details of how they're "discovered".

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

133 people and 1 dead AI

6 people and just as Clarke is about to destroy they what they think is just the one AI it's revealed there are millions of AI's existing in the system. And she destroys it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lycus posted:

Grounders believe you become Commander via reincarnation, though. It's unclear how much influence a "coup leader" can have over that without knowing the details of how they're "discovered".

Am I just misremembering grounder leaders openly challenging her position before Ton-DC?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I just remember one of them faking an assassination attempt because they were opposed to the alliance.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

Am I just misremembering grounder leaders openly challenging her position before Ton-DC?

They might have been leaders or representatives of other clans. As far as I can tell, Lexa was only "called" to be the leader of the TriKru and just happened to be badass enough to unite 11 other clans of grounders together. The other clan leaders might have their own rules of succession; the Ice Nation at least has/had a Queen which implies some kind of inherited position.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but it's mentioned that they won't follow a weak leader. I assume that reincarnation is the legal method of succession, but plenty of coup d'etats have worked just fine in the real world without being legal.

It's also possible that a weak leader can be seen as not possessing the true spirit of the leader, and another candidate could be propped up as the true leader, like an antipope.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I finally caught up with this show after being convinced by Couch Chat to come back to it after the shittastic 6-7 episodes at the beginning of season 1. It's crazy how this is like a completely different show now. I still have some issues with some of the plotting and how characters have borderline-schizophrenic personality changes and how Clarke has sustained so many knockout head injuries at this point that she should be a drooling vegetable, but this show is pulpy enough and doesn't take itself so seriously that you can't just go along with it.

I hope season 3 is the season of Miller, the best character and the 100's very own Roy. It's always the right time for Miller Time.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Allowing the missile to hit Ton DC were the only morally questionable killings that Clarke did, and it was more Lexa's doing than hers. The 300 fried grounders were trying to kill them all and Mt Weather loving had it coming.

What I'm trying to say is Clarke did nothing wrong.

Yeah but she's mostly too much of a coward to look her victims in the eyes when she kills them. 99% of her kills are from either pushing a button or doing nothing when someone else pushed a button, and then she goes off looking all distant and blubbering about ~*~her burden to bear~*~. The true badasses are Octavia and Jasper.

The Iron Rose posted:

Just wait until you figure out why Lexa, Costia, and Lincoln are named as they are!

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 18, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

raditts posted:

I finally caught up with this show after being convinced by Couch Chat to come back to it after the shittastic 6-7 episodes at the beginning of season 1. It's crazy how this is like a completely different show now. I still have some issues with some of the plotting and how characters have borderline-schizophrenic personality changes and how Clarke has sustained so many knockout head injuries at this point that she should be a drooling vegetable, but this show is pulpy enough and doesn't take itself so seriously that you can't just go along with it.

I hope season 3 is the season of Miller, the best character and the 100's very own Roy. It's always the right time for Miller Time.

Yeah but she's mostly too much of a coward to look her victims in the eyes when she kills them. 99% of her kills are from either pushing a button or doing nothing when someone else pushed a button, and then she goes off looking all distant and blubbering about ~*~her burden to bear~*~. The true badasses are Octavia and Jasper.

Just wait until you figure out why Lexa, Costia, and Lincoln are named as they are!

Lexa (Hamilton) and (Abraham) Lincoln I get. Costia I don't though!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Or it's mechanically impossible.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

raditts posted:

Euthanizing that poison gas guy while humming a jaunty tune makes up for it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

raditts posted:

She broke the knee of the impaired grounder guy and slit his throat in like 2 seconds cold blooded.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

raditts posted:

and how Clarke has sustained so many knockout head injuries at this point that she should be a drooling vegetable

Really, that's the thing you get nitpicky over? Ever heard of, you know, football?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

raditts posted:

:captainpop:

Had to look up Costia

This show continues to educated

Only registered members can see post attachments!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Spergatory posted:

For the OP: A nice gif of Jasper loving murdering some dude in cold blood. Couldn't find a larger one but I feel it gets the point across. :black101:

The whole breakout scene in which the 47 knock-off the guards was awesome

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Johnny Truant posted:

Really, that's the thing you get nitpicky over? Ever heard of, you know, football?

That's kind of an odd example because not only does football not involve being repeatedly beaten unconscious with clubs and rifle butts, but has been under scrutiny in recent years specifically because of brain injuries. There was a movie all about it with Will Smith that came out just a couple of weeks ago. It's a moot point though, because...

raditts posted:

...this show is pulpy enough and doesn't take itself so seriously that you can't just go along with it.

If I had to choose a nitpick, it would be that what was left of civilization decayed so much and became so overgrown in 97 years as to be almost unrecognizable. But it might actually be plausible and I don't honestly care that much.

The Iron Rose posted:

Lexa (Hamilton) and (Abraham) Lincoln I get. Costia I don't though!

I wasn't even thinking Hamilton, I was thinking Alexandria, as in the DC suburb. I guess it could be either one.
Rocksicles already posted the one for Costia, and I figured Lincoln was named after the memorial since we get a shot of what's left of it in one episode.
My assumption is that the grounders are all named by what remains of street signs and buildings. I have no idea what Indra could come from though.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 19, 2016

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

raditts posted:

but has been under scrutiny in recent years specifically because of brain injuries. There was a movie all about it with Will Smith that came out just a couple of weeks ago.

:thejoke:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

But jokes are supposed to be funny.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Comedy just means not tragedy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008