Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'll be the first to say it I guess. I haven't really enjoyed the past 2 episodes. Something about the pacing just seems real off to me.

It's because Clarke hasn't killed anyone yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

VagueRant posted:

OH! Most hosed up part of the episode. There are some totally reasonable grounder guards who are technically on the protagonists' side but they have to be MURDERED because they're in the way?

Well yeah?

Pretty sure this season is going to end with Genghis Clarke, Pike, Lexa and Charles Vane killing every member of the Ice Nation.

Farm Station never forget.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Don't quite understand the hate for Pike.

Someone has to lay the groundwork for Clarke's season three killing spree.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Maybe I'm just defending lovely writing but I don't see Bellamy's change of heart to be that big of a reveal. He's always been a douchebag and he values power and control. Everything he's done so far this season has ended in a completely failure and I think Pike's anti grounder movement is just a way for him to become relevant again. It's not even that big of a surprise that Pike won since most of Skykru probably doesn't have a lot of content with grounders aside from Lincoln (he's on the of the 'good ones'). From their perspective, grounders have been loving them over since day one and Mount Weather was the last straw.

They should have definitely fleshed out Pike a bit though.

Lycus posted:

Though this is the kind of thing I was afraid of. I think the "Genghis Clarke" stuff is fun for jokes, but if the writers actually just want to set things up for a genocide every season, them we're about at self-parody.

I honestly expect every season to rack up a massive body count because it's what you'd expect to happen at every stage of history. I honestly can't think of a single instance where two culturally and technologically different civilisations met and it didn't end in bloodshed. Like the Coalition of the twelve tribes only existed to fight the mountain men and now that the threat is gone, there's nothing left holding the peace between the tribes much less with skykru.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Nobody pays attention to Kane because his K/D sucks.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Glad everyone is now suddenly a willing murderer after 3 months of peace with the grounders, during which they built a strong lasting proto-city that is miles better than living on the Ark.

I'm actually mad at this show for becoming so dumb. Feels like Game of Thrones Season 5.

I feel like they could have made it work if they slowed down and gave the story a chance to breathe but it's turned into a case of them telling us 'here is how things are now' instead of showing us the build up.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm curious as to how that grounder patrol knew about the symbol(infinity?) on the city of light chip and what it means to them.

Trailer spoilers

There's suppose to be a couple of infinity symbols in the background from Lexa's tattoo to on the wall of Titus' cave here.

I think the twelve tribes were ALIE's attempt to restart humanity/build a viable stock in preparation for the City of Light.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

jfood posted:

I think it'd be fitting if Pike stepped down afterwards, in Cincinnatus style, knowing the work he had to accomplish was now done.

This would be a really good twist to flesh out Pike's character but I don't think it's happening any time soon. They did something similar with Kane in season one and two but I think the writers are just burning through the story too fast to add any depth to their characters.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
This is basically the sequel to Person of Interest.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Snak posted:

I think the station being blown up is known. What's a secret is that that station was originally intended to join the Ark.

Were they actually intending to join up though?

I was kind of surprised that ALIE didn't know about the 13th Station given she was pre-war.

I think the implication about what's happened so far is:

Chris, Becca and whoever the guys were that moved Chris' body created an AI to help people/solve a problem.

ALIE determines that the best course of action is just to wipe out humanity. Becca locks her up and then fucks off to space station 13 to restart the project and find a way of stopping ALIE.

Chris gets tricked by ALIE's City of Light stuff, frees her and nukes fly everywhere. The other stations want to hook up but Becca isn't sure that they're under ALIE's influence so she convinces a bunch of astronauts to blow up the station and fly back to earth.

Their prolonged exposure to radiation allows them to survive the new Earth and with their gear, they build and establish the 12 clans making sure to keep their weapons and society low tech to ensure that ALIE will no longer be able to control them. Becca becomes the first Commander and starts a cult/society of advisors like Titus who will always know the full truth.

The initial astronauts that came down with Becca are all inoculated against ALIE and their descendants become the Nightbloods. I don't think they're plugged into the City of Light 2.0 but I think Titus is and we'll see an episode from his perspective (such as when he confronts Clarke) where he's holding two conversations at once.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

The grounders are Treekru and have their own weapons. They opted to salt their homes to kill the invading force as a big gently caress you to Skykru.

Emerson was captured by the Ice Nation and sent in a box to Lexa.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
From the various interviews/feeds that have come out since, it seems like the cast were just as confused about the character changes as we where and aren't exactly happy about them.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

hollylolly posted:

The new Commander is either going to be that ~13 yr old boy or the Asgeda girl. If the kid starts trying to hit on Clarke it'll be gross. :)

Anyway, I never heard the show say "Lexa is a lesbian" so maybe she's just a Clarkesexual? Seems to have affected a few different characters on the show, really, usually ending in death. :shrug:

The kid seems like an obvious red herring though. He's been groomed as some kind of super intelligent and competent commander so he and the other night bloods will probably all get killed leaving the Ice Nation girl as the only choice left.

Lexa had a girlfriend who the Ice Nation queen had killed.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

ufarn posted:

I also feel like Pike suffers from two-dimensionality, or at least a sincere lack of attention on the writers' part. Maybe it's that he's supposed to appeal to people's basic instincts that the writers won't bother dwelling on him and fleshing him out, but that makes him more of a force than a person. And it's not easy to follow President Dante who was a very well-rounded sorta-villain.

I think Pike is the Chancellor most true to Skykru values and beliefs though.

Skykru are a group of hardcore survivalists with all the focus, foresight, pragmatism and ingenuity of a colony of resource starved astronauts. It'd make sense that Pike and the others easily identify what some of Arkadia's long term problems are, such as the lack of food and defensible terrain, and be happy to do whatever it takes to achieve those goals. Like others have pointed out, Arkadia's current safety and security depended on the word of a single girl. The other grounders were happy to kill them all without a thought and unless Arkadia can secure their position in the world with force, it's just a matter of time before they get wiped out.

The children might not have developed that mindset yet but the adults should definitely be willing Pike voters that just wanted to protect a future for their children and their children's children.

The problem is that none of it really comes across and they've been all like, lol grounders aren't even people, let's kill then all!

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

That was not so much a show of faith in their current lineup, but a lack of faith in their pilot development.

CW will clean house next year. With the exception of Flash and final seasons for Arrow and Supernatural, I'd expect that everything else gets cancelled (perhaps Jane the Virgin and Crazy Ex Girlfriend get renewed and moved to Friday if they continue to bring in awards).

Would have thought they'd be trying to pad as much into their current lineup to push down Tribune's demands during the negotiation this year and get a better deal with Netflix/Hulu etc. since a show with a dedicated fanbase is arguably worth more if that show is still running.

CW is just weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

hope and vaseline posted:

Yeah, it really could have stood to benefit from a flashback episode where we actually got to see Pike and farm station's hard choices, kind of like Lost's "The Other 48 Days." As of this point it's hard to have any kind of empathy for Pike's crew, which is kind of a huge failure in storytelling considering the crux of the Arkadia plot hinges on this. It's even hard to care about the destruction of Mt. Weather because we didn't get to know any of the people in there. They're just numbers in an increasingly large amount of deaths that the 100 likes to use to up the stakes.

This should have been the episode straight after Pike came into Arkadia. Even a couple of flashbacks showing all the grounders they meet eventually lying and betraying Farm Station would have gone a long way to characterise Pike.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

The lesson that should be learned here is don't pander to tumblr, it lets them think they have some sort of importance or input into a show's writing.

I thought the way that Supernatural does it with their 'meta' episodes was pretty good.

I think the last one I saw was like 'yeah this show had some dumb ideas and terrible seasons' but while we respect our crazy fans, their ideas are worse. Also the two main characters are brothers and so do not secretly want to gently caress each other.'

• Locked thread