Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Error 404 posted:

Put it in my eyes and ears right now.

This so hard.

I hope Jaha falls in love with the computer and just furthers his crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

WarLocke posted:

My counterpoint:

Yup, this is the most badass gif. Like, whenever we get Futurama-style animated paper, all Octavia's actress needs to do is enlarge that and submit it as her resume.

VagueRant posted:

My hope for the show is that the Curse Of The 3rd Season doesn't hit it and ruin the show like it did Community, Nikita and Arrow before it. :smith:

EDIT: and Burn Notice.

Isn't Arrow's third season the one on right now? Is it really just awful? :(

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

On a related note, I also just realized literally last week that Tondc was literally Washington D.C.

I am not an observant woman.

I had that same realization. :hfive:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

OK!! Lets start the Clarke season 3 body count pool. I'm going with 500 minimum.

I think they'll tone it down a bit for her body count, I'll wager under 200.

But my friend and I were pondering this: is somebody (at least relatively) important going to die in the first episode? I think so!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Snak posted:

Honestly, I bet if the nuke gets used by people, it's to take out the AI. Like the AI is trying to use it as a failsafe to allow it to be the architect of a new society, and Clarke is like gently caress that and Raven finds a way to rig it to blow and take the AI with it.

Hopefully it doesn't take Raven with it :ohdear:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

raditts posted:

and how Clarke has sustained so many knockout head injuries at this point that she should be a drooling vegetable

Really, that's the thing you get nitpicky over? Ever heard of, you know, football?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

raditts posted:

but has been under scrutiny in recent years specifically because of brain injuries. There was a movie all about it with Will Smith that came out just a couple of weeks ago.

:thejoke:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

raditts posted:

But jokes are supposed to be funny.

Two more days...!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

hollylolly posted:

:siren: S3 E2 - Wanheda, part 2

Bellamy and Kane risk life and limb to rescue Clarke. In an attempt to avoid worrying about her daughter, Abby focuses on whether to open Mount Weather as a medical facility. Meanwhile, Murphy plots to betray his former Chancellor.

Yes, more wacky adventures of Murphy and Jaha! I was afraid cause they dropped so much on us the first ep that we might have a Murphy-less episode or two. Glad I was wrong. I also hope we just continue to see Abby suck at everything, it's a slight catharsis.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Acinonyx posted:

I'm totally fine with the writers having Prince Aragorn get the upper hand on her, but they way they did it seemed cheap because that's the trick that would have worked on her mom or someone else who has never killed anyone up close and personal.

I'm kind of with you, as soon as she started drowning him I thought, "Oh I hope he doesn't pull a fake-out drown and Clarke gets got that way..." Welp, sure enough, it happened. It's just a very minour pet peeve.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I was really surprised nobody vehemently opposed trying to get the missiles operational. They went from "no we can't even look at Mount Weather, it'll break the truce" to everybody jumping on the Dr. Strangelove boat.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Dalael posted:

That was a badass, if ill conceived move from her.

"Oh it takes you 6 hours to get there?" Empties the tank. "Now you have to do it in two!"

Guy runs like hell, using up even more oxygen than he normally would. That guy would have died before getting there. Probably one of the minor things the show didn't do right... Still was bad rear end of her tho.

She gave him 4 hours if I recall correctly, a not completely unreasonable time for him to get back in. But agreed that him flailing about running like a moron was a bad decision.

But yeah I totally knew he was making a comeback since he just disappeared completely. Fuckin' ice nation...

Also, did anybody think there was somethin' with Indra/Kane's look when they greeted eachother at Polis? They were super chummy yeah, but has anybody thought of Kandra yet?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Snak posted:

The writers give us lots of evidence as to the type of person that Finn is and how he sees the world. Finn's used to following his impulses with no regard for consequences and winning.

I can't watch the video since I'm at work, but I agree with all of your post except for this part. He acted impulsively on the Ark, almost got Raven got, then was imprisoned. I don't quite consider that a win.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Snak posted:

No, I actually meant he's used to winning. I'm saying that while we might not consider the space-walk fiasco a win, Finn did. From Finn's perspective he tried to cheat the system, and then was able to sacrifice himself like a selfless hero. It's still all about him. When he's with Raven on the Ark and with Clarke on the ground, he doesn't even realize how selfish he's being emotionally. Finn believes he's a nice guy, and because he's willing to endure hardship for others, he might seem like one. But at the end of the day, it's about him. Finn sees his suffering and the drastic measures he takes to save Raven and find Clarke as him being a white knight. When he "finds" Clarke, he literally expects that she will be impressed that he did whatever it took to find her.

Think about the origami. Each girl finds it sweet. Special. And Finn means it that way, but it's not special, it's part of his plan to be seen as a good boyfriend. He gives gifts, makes personal sacrifices, and when he meets another girl, it's on him that he loves her now instead. He doesn't consider the feelings of others, or is not even empathetic.

When we first meet him, he is floating around the dropship in freefall. Despite Clarke's warnings, two other kids follow his example. At no point during his stunt to impress Clarke did he give a poo poo about those other kids. They are killed on impact.

Finn is the "nice guy" who doesn't realize the consequences of his actions or how they are perceived by others.

Bellamy is the "tough guy" who hasn't learned to being tough for the right reasons is much more important than being tough as a reason for action. On the Ark, Bellamy was always willing to do whatever it took to protect his sister. Now that Octavia doesn't need, and flat-out rejects, his protection, he's searching for a purpose for all his testosterone-fueled will to succeed. When he transferred it to his new girlfriend, he immediately failed. Now Pike has steered that towards protecting "their people".

drat yeah, made me eat my words, hah! I like your explanation, that totally makes sense.

esperterra posted:

https://vine.co/v/iv1QhP2L9vA

Aw yeah.

:aaaaa:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

hope and vaseline posted:

he has some really good character insights

Rocksicles posted:

It's still the best CW show by a colossal amount.

:agreed:

So does tonight's episode open with grounder slaughter 2.0? Taking bets, taking bets...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Raven nooooo :ohdear:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Xoidanor posted:

They caused Lurch's face. It's what the show has used to signpost so far with Lurch and the theifs brother that ALIE is in direct control.

:confused:

This is a joke, right?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm wondering if the 13th station is still out there. It seems like a nice set up for some future story.

Pretty sure Finn talks about it blowing up when they celebrate Unification Day on the ground?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

TyrantWD posted:

but Kane will be dead and won't get to see his dream come true.

You shut your whore mouth, you heathen!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know that. But they used some type of the Acid Fog from Mt Weather. So I wondered where they got it.

I know it was said earlier, but jesus christ come on...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Rurea posted:

This show is getting more and more like BSG each episode...

Except this show isn't trash.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

hollylolly posted:

:siren: S3 E7 Thirteen

Lexa tries to maintain peace within the clans; Clarke discovers an unusual and game-changing truth; flashbacks reveal a dark chapter of humanity's past.

:supaburn::supaburn:

Oh poo poo we get some flashback action. Who's it gonna be!? And my bet is on Clarke finding... the other AI pod. I forget its name, drat I need to give the second ep up to tonight's ep a re-watch.

hollylolly posted:

Also, this is the The 100 thread, not the BSG thread.

:agreed: :colbert:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

WarLocke posted:

Polaris. It's why the Grounder HQ is called Polis, because the 'ar' is smudged off :aaa:

Thank you! I knew it was related to the city name. I hope the 'unusual truth' is the reality behind the Nightbloods :aaa:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

WarLocke posted:

I am about 95% behind the theory that 'night blood' is a side-effect of carrying BECKIE/AI2.0 suspended in your bloodstream. It would explain why Lexa had that nightmare with earlier Commanders speaking to her - the AI inside of her was trying to communicate

Further bullshit speculation: since that one Night Blood dripped her own blood all over Clarke's face, I bet some of it got into her (probably via the mucous membranes under her eyelids) and she'll eventually manifest night blood herself as the AI propagates itself within her - we'll get two AIs waging a proxy war using their chosen avatars (Clarke vs Jaha) :suspense:

Yup, we're on the same page here. But is the Commander's adviser gonna be super sketchy? I think so.

enraged_camel posted:

Commander of Both Sexes.

:colbert:

Commander of my heart. :sparkles:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Troposphere posted:

just because something doesn't matter to you doesn't mean it doesn't matter to a whole lot of people, people who made up probably the majority of the fiercely loyal fanbase of the show, and are probably going to quit watching now.

Honest question but will people really just stop watching a show like this so suddenly because of something like this? I mean even putting aside the fact that it was pretty much a given Lexa was gonna get killed at some point, like even if they kind of did it as a surprise, are there really people who will loving love a show and then when something happens they don't like they are just suddenly so vitriolic and bitter that they're just like, "nope! I'm done"?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

esperterra posted:

There's a really great book and movie about people like that, one of my favourites. Misery. It's a cautionary tale, really.

:bravo:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Snak posted:

This episode was good, except that the flashbacks to the polaris stations were pointless and boring. The budget to model a new space station to depict something that we all knew happened in the distant past would have been better spent on almost everything else.

I liked it but I kind of agree, it was fleshing out some stuff that.. we didn't really need fleshed out. It did show us Becka(I seriously hate this spelling...) injecting herself with the stuff and the neural-interface device, but it kind of just felt like the CW was like "oh poo poo we can totally just throw some explosions in... some SPACE explosions!"

I hope we're all completely wrong and Murphy turns out to get him and Clarke out, or somehow spin the tale so he doesn't get framed.

He just needs to eat more 100 year old wafers and party, that's the Murphy we know and love.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Spergatory posted:

:confused:

Are you serious? Mount Weather's entire existence was an existential crisis. Did you think they were sucking grounder blood for funsies or something?

:agreed:

They even mention multiple times how back in the good ole days of Mt. Wx they had people who would refuse treatments. Tell me that place isn't packed with cognitive dissonance and I'll show you an Ice Nation warrior with no tribal scars :colbert:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Why's it going on break?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Troposphere posted:

mid season break

Goddammit I hate this series of words. :qq:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

hollylolly posted:

:siren: S3 E8 Terms and Conditions :siren:

Kane's attempt to handle things peacefully may have to give way to more drastic measures; Pike suspects that someone in Arkadia is leaking information; Raven confides in Jasper for help with a plan.

:neckbeard: I hope we get to see Kane be a stone cold badass this episode.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Troposphere posted:

most of them began watching the show because they heard about Lexa

I think I have to accept that I'll ever be able to wrap my head around people like this, or the people who stop watching a show if their favourite character dies, or people on tumblr or twitter. Oh well, to each their own I guess.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Troposphere posted:

I think a lot of you are failing to grasp the point that there are not many lesbian characters on television and certainly not many that are important to the plot and who have relationships with the main character

people can't just go oh well guess I'll just change the channel to another show that has this because it doesn't exist. that's why they're angry.

You've made that abundantly clear. I guess I don't understand why people need to relate to the entertainment they watch. Like, gently caress, I relate to none of the characters on House of Cards but I eat that poo poo up.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I can understand no longer watching a show if the main things that are interesting to you stop being there. Whether it's a character or whatever else.

No I agree with you here, like if Lexa dying is The 100's sharkjump and the show is literally FTWD quality afterwards. But people crying about this poo poo just seem immature to me.

zoux posted:

This happens all the time though. AV Club even had a Q&A about it the other day.

Oh, really? I'll have to find that, maybe it can shed some light on this for me.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

zoux posted:

http://www.avclub.com/article/what-show-did-you-quit-watching-after-character-yo-232572

Also I did a bit of research into "Bury Your Gays" after last week. Common dramatic devices like the Bechdel test, fridging, black guys die first and so on usually have some quantified scholarship so we're not just relying on viewers' anecdotal data. Everything recent I can find on BYG is from tvtropes or tumblr, but I did find this blog entry that tries to integrate BYG into existing Queer Theory and here's how they define it: " The T.V. trope ‘Bury your gays’ follows the format of painting a tragic tale of an individual struggling against an oppressive society which either directly kills the individual or pushes them to murder. Mulholland Dr., Cruising, Cloud Atlas, Brideshead Revisited, and shockingly Nine Dead Gay Guys (to name a few) all follow this rough format." Does that sound like what happened on The 100?

I don't have an issue with talking about lack of representation on TV or the ways in which characters representing irl marginalized populations are poorly served by straight white dominated media companies, but I can't stand it when people try to take a subjective narrative decision and try to make it objective by labeling it problematic. It's harmful to the cause of equality and acceptance, because the next time The 100 writers have an opportunity to make a character gay, I bet they think twice.

This is a good post and you are a cool person!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Spergatory posted:

There was that whole thing about purposely inviting fans up to Vancouver to watch them film finale scenes which prominently featured Lexa, in what we now know to be the City of Light, but back then had little-to-no context for. It could feel like kind of a bait-and-switch. "Hey guys, look at Lexa being totally alive at the end of the season! NOT! :devil:"

Wait, seriously?? Wowwwww. That's an impressive troll right there, hahaha. That makes this argument even more hilarious. Eat poo poo, tumblr/twitter masses! :boom:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So there aren't episodes this week and next, correct? :emo:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

TheCenturion posted:

And the Farm Station Flashback should be named "And they shall beat their plowshares into swords".

But then again, I'm a sucker for old timey pretentious scifi episode titles.

Sounds like the name of a post-rock band. Who would Pike be? Monty's mom is probably the second rhythm guitarist, expendable and sometimes pointless. Bellamy could be the drummer, since he can change pace so quickly...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mogwai has vocals, And So I Watch You From Afar has vocals, the list goes on.

I could see Pike being the rear end in a top hat synth player who forces the band to play some really weird and bad songs.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Troposphere posted:

people are super pissed about :phoneline:, you just aren't looking in the right places

The Internet in a nutshell.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Murphy's become my favourite character. gently caress yeah go chill with the Azgeda queen, why the gently caress not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Spergatory posted:

I'm laughing so loving hard. A clip of the next episode has been released and it features Murphy as a literal sex slave, with a chain and collar and everything. This show will not rest until every single horrible thing that can happen to a person happens to Murphy and he DGAFs his way through all of it.

The Murphy is willing but the flesh is spongy and bruised!

Also just go Murphy, I'd take that job.

• Locked thread