Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohlHPpDnRFs&t=171s

Lexa having to die pisses me off, but it's no one's fault, and it's absolutely amazing how the writers managed to handle one of the most interesting characters on the show having to leave. The death was pretty dumb, though, but she had to die one way or another.

I'm a little worried that Clarke will stop being interesting at this point; like a lot of other character, she's been drifting around a bit, and Lexa was great for the character.

We don't yet have any good idea of what the blood does nor how exactly it's passed on, right?

ufarn fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

FiestaNinja posted:

Beyond a shot of Becca injecting herself with some on the Polaris they haven't revealed too much I don't think. Seems like the nightbloods are born with it though?
I first thought it was hereditary, which would have meant some extraterrestial boinking, but I think there's enough sexual what-if speculation for the show as it is. I assumed it was as some kind of safeguard against the AI, but given that she injected it into herself, maybe it's just to give it an environment to work in, whatever that means. Although 1.0 works just by being ingested and tethered to your noggin.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Did we ever get an answer to whether Lexa was actually using her own blood for makeup? Because that poo poo's hosed up.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Xoidanor posted:

Spelling it with a K is not uncommon in Scandinavia for what it's worth.
Not too dissimilar from the grounders' phonetic language, eg Skaikru.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Assuming the AI would consider that a prudent choice.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The Comic Con panel is going to be something else innit?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Alycia gonna receive an unsolicited $100,000 check to appear on the panel for five minutes to quell the uprising. She's got the experience.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Rurea posted:

Titus said they were something called the "the first Natblida" so im assuming it means "not bleeda" or the first people who could survive the radiation
Could also be Nightblood/Nightbleeder.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Troposphere posted:

blood must have blood :unsmigghh:
"The 100 Panel" will soon be the new vernacular "Red Wedding".

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Troposphere posted:

the writers are starting to deeply regret their decision and it's making me laugh

"we thought it'd be okay when we did it, because we're so awesome" haha okay
Someone cut the wifi for these people.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Troposphere posted:

idk I thought the person's question was pretty reasonable and non hostile
I meant the writers.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Capitalism killed Lexa, not the writers.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Xoidanor posted:

The only thing of worth I've learned from this discussion is that Buffy The Vampire Slayer is a dumb show which I should be glad that I have never watched.
There's a bit of backlash due to how Whedon used to be promoted as a bona fide feminist who did fiction the way it's supposed to be progressively speaking. People don't do that anymore.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I watched one episode of Fear the Walking Dead when it came out and it wasn't interesting to me. That's my story.
It was aggressively bad. I could only make it past one or two episodes.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

qbert posted:

The Lexa thing aside I am really not digging this entire season as a whole. It seems like there are no characters to root for anymore. Maybe that's how the show always was, but it really feels like a ton of artificial drama/in-fighting for no reason and the only character motivations that make sense is the freaking AI that wants to conquer humanity.
It's been really hard for me to get myself to watch the last handful of episodes. I usually end up doing it late-ish Sunday, dunno what it is. Lexa (and Clarke) were by far the most interesting thing on the show, and their chemistry (actors as character) was undeniable. The Pike plot is really clever on paper, but ... it's just there. It doesn't help that Bellamy flipped on a dime and became his second in command (what Mo Ryan referred to as an instance of the show's compression problems).

The 100 is an amazing show to binge, so maybe it's just that I'm watching it in a new way, but maybe it's just that the villain is too boring and abstract in this case; many characters feel like NPCs in a videogame more than independent characters who could replace Clarke as an interesting protagonist if need be.

I also feel like Pike suffers from two-dimensionality, or at least a sincere lack of attention on the writers' part. Maybe it's that he's supposed to appeal to people's basic instincts that the writers won't bother dwelling on him and fleshing him out, but that makes him more of a force than a person. And it's not easy to follow President Dante who was a very well-rounded sorta-villain.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

hollylolly posted:

I think the Pike situation was rushed because the show only had Lexa for a certain amount of episodes. They hurried the plot so they could get to this point before she was gone. Regrettable, but understandable.
True; it does feel like it's been on standby or treading waters.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Kegslayer posted:

I think Pike is the Chancellor most true to Skykru values and beliefs though.

Skykru are a group of hardcore survivalists with all the focus, foresight, pragmatism and ingenuity of a colony of resource starved astronauts. It'd make sense that Pike and the others easily identify what some of Arkadia's long term problems are, such as the lack of food and defensible terrain, and be happy to do whatever it takes to achieve those goals. Like others have pointed out, Arkadia's current safety and security depended on the word of a single girl. The other grounders were happy to kill them all without a thought and unless Arkadia can secure their position in the world with force, it's just a matter of time before they get wiped out.

The children might not have developed that mindset yet but the adults should definitely be willing Pike voters that just wanted to protect a future for their children and their children's children.

The problem is that none of it really comes across and they've been all like, lol grounders aren't even people, let's kill then all!
I can definitely see the premise of him - he missed the mellowing transition between "float the fuckers" and "we need to join forces with the Grounders", but it just feels like someone's hitting the rewind button than adding anything new and interesting. After all, Ice Nation are also a very season 3 addition, and they also sorta came out of nowhere in a way that hasn't been bridged too organically.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
ALIE knows Emerson is dead, so I take it that was a hint that one of the people in the decon room is chipped?

Or did ALIE somehow find out, because Clarke chipped him with 2.0?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
should of chosen the Helios ending

e: On that note, there was way too much deus ex machina in the latter part of this season; always stuff like new logic coming out of the left field that we're just supposed to nod and say "whoa" to. It was next to impossible to understand the stakes and the choices, because they kept introducing new mechanics, threats and whatnot, and the tension and intelligence of the writing kinda suffered for it.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 20, 2016

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Ending the finale that way would, outrage aside, also have been insane. It would sap all the resolution and attention from an excellent finale, and eclipsed the reunion between Clarke and Lexa.

I have to wonder what numbskull would have thought this would have been a good way to punctuate the season.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Jasper killing himself makes a whole bunch of sense, but it in the context of the rest of the episode, it would drag down everything and turn a generally excellent finale into one big groan.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
They're at least smart enough to know that Clarke and Raven are the best part of the show - as well as the female characters in general. But it's definitely been a descent in writing, as the season went on.

I've kinda had my fill of angst and PTSD, so I hope Jasper and Bellamy take a backseat in the next season.

And for the love of Pramheda, no levers.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

I think they should stop subtitling the Grounder talk, it is pretty much completely understandable as is now.
Subtitles are also for people with impaired hearing, though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'm kinda glad there's no new outsider villain this time around, but Echo's not a very interesting character. I hope she doesn't become too central to the plot.

Zach McGowan is great, though, but maybe that's my Shameless bias at work.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
There were a bunch of lines in the episdode that were changed from Trigedasleng to English.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Oh no, relations between grounders and skaikru deteriorated. Again. Like every other season.
It feels less than awesome sci-fi these days than a bad round of Civilization.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The show's just been renewed for another season. Does that sound like a good thing to anyone?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The push-pull of setbacks and gains has been a pretty boring plot device, really wish we'd at least get at nice b-plot.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I am about halfway through the second season of this series so far. It's pretty good. Have a vague idea of the direction it takes going forward and will be interested to see how it unfolds.
The first two seasons are just amazing. It's unfortunately extremely uneven in the following seasons, but those first two are some of the best and most original TV I've watched.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Astroman posted:

Especially because it had no business being as good as it was. It started life as a CW YA show with hot kids and no adults who were setting up a Lord of the Flies society and fighting primitives and then completely changed the premise and became 100x deeper.
It's one of those shows that are impossible to describe to your friends when you sing their praises.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

d0grent posted:

I'm gonna take this opportunity to give my past self some advice vicariously through you:

Don't keep watching after season 2.
Pretty much.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
That was a pretty great episode overall, except I found it pretty ridiculous that Clarke made it.

I don't know if I can deal with a lunar colony or something like that, so I hope they just repurposed some wreckage or whatever. Will be interesting to see how they manage to pass the time there, though.

Switching between the three locations is hopefully going to make the storytelling easier so we won't linger with boring c-plots too much.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Vermain posted:

I guess that pad might've been stocked well enough. I'm sure we'll get something approaching a proper (if silly) explanation next season.
Oh I didn't even think about the food situation, too, I just meant how she was hanging close to some hellfire, and it literally bit her in the rear end as she rushed to the bunker. Just made the threat seem very ad hoc, but I guess they thought it'd add more tension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFARUnF7sRE

• Locked thread