Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

The Iron Rose posted:

On a related note, I also just realized literally last week that Tondc was literally Washington D.C.

I am not an observant woman.

I only realized that from reading this thread, so you're not the only one. I figured it was just some random name spelled like Tawndisi or something. It makes me feel extra silly because some of the grounder words are derived from English phrases anyway. When Indra (I think that's her name, Lexa's second) says "quiet" (according to the subtitles) in grounder she actually says "shutup" in a light accent.

Anyway, I just got caught up on the show via Netflix (the CW is awesome at getting their shows up in time to get caught up), and I am unbelievably stoked for next season. I'm going to go toward the lower spectrum of the Clarke kill count bet and guess ~300.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

That jeep singalong scene was somehow both heartwarming and bad-rear end.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Genghis Clarke the Barbarian

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So the City of Light is some Matrix thing?

Looked like a JO crystal to me.

That Jaha-Murphy relationship is getting real.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I'd argue that none of the characters are getting along fine. Everyone is still carrying the baggage; I will cede that Jasper is dealing with it in a much worse way than anyone else.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I don't get why Bellamy would so willingly join an anti-grounder movement when his sister has become something of a grounder-arker hybrid. Seems weird. That said, I'm curious to see how this plays out and I'm glad that the bedroom scene with Clarke and Lexa wasn't too unnecessarily indulgent.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Because we're supposed to accept that because of a 3 month off-screen unexplained relationship with a redshrit girlfriend he's now broken enough to compeltely throw away two seasons of character development. It's bad writing.

It's like the writers bought into their own hype a little too much about how dark and gritty and badass their show was and have abandoned all nuance in order to just continue to push the limits of what they can get away with on the CW.

Bad writing: that's a good way to put it. I hate to jump to "bad writing" too quickly when I watch shows (because I like to write, but can't write scripts worth poo poo), but this episode did seem really scattered and random. Kind of like when I was playing with my action figures as a kid, and I'd have to come up with weird reasons why certain dudes would fight the others.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Regarding bullets: Jaha remarks that Raven has been given scrap sorting duty (to make bullets) because she can't do anything else in order to push her to take the Jaha-Juice. In the background of that scene, it looks like a lot of people are working on that too. The Arkers are definitely prepping for war.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

It's an extremely small but extremely vocal minority.

This is something I have to remind myself of every time something blows up on the internet. Most people just don't give a poo poo. I hope the show-runners weather the vocal criticism though. The writers of 'Arrow' caved to their screaming fans, and the show has been going downhill all season for it.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Man, Arkadia is crazy fractured right now. There's an army surrounding them, they have a dictator in charge who is tolerating a rebel faction, and then there's Jaha trying to create a hive mind. drat, this is gonna be good.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Troposphere posted:

to be fair I don't pay attention to any of the male characters, in anything

Truly an even-handed and progressive mind we have here.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I'm enjoying this season well enough, but the behind-the-scenes action is starting to look more interesting right now. Kane's fate is in jeopardy, but Rothenberg at the possible proverbial chopping block seems a little more interesting right now.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

This thread has gone to poo poo in like 2 weeks.

Used to be a great thread until Tumblrs Against Stuff walked in and kicked over all the furniture.

I'm really glad the thread is actually discussing the show right now rather than discussing LGBTQ representation in popular media. If I may ask, what do you find to be disagreeable with the thread currently, and how may we make your thread experience more pleasant?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

So far, Clarke has been too much removed from the rest of the action imo

I agree with you here. Somehow it seems like Pike would've been much less of a powerful force if Clarke had been back at the Ark earlier. She is such a sheer force of will that she probably could've been Chancellor if she wanted to be. On top of that, there's very rarely anything for her to actually do in Polis (especially now that both Lexa and Titus are dead). She needs to leave.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Spergatory posted:

Man, no matter what this show does, I loving love Clarke Griffin. :allears: She's like the only YA protagonist who I find completely believable in their role. If Clarke Griffin had been put in Katniss's place in The Hunger Games, that series would've been over in two books, and Clarke would've been president at the end.

And the Capitol would've been a smoking crater full of cosmopolitan corpses.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

That was a really interesting episode in that it took place in the space of a single night, and the plot really focused in on exorcising Raven (barring Monty's axial adventure with Octavia).

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Monty is hardcore as gently caress.

He not only killed his mom, he later gets her loving deleted from existence. Like... drat.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

So many people predicted it, but I still wanted to believe it wasn't him... Man, this is gonna be rough.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

Let's make a list

I'll start,

He survived getting shot
Survived getting blown up
Survived space station blowing up
Survived acid trip space walk
Survived re-entry
Survived epic sunstroke
Survived the grounders

All that was before he even got to share a beer with Kane.

I always cite Murphy as being the show's big whipping boy, but Jaha really gives him a run for his money. This show is probably best described as one that relishes in putting all of its characters through the loving ringer.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Lexa's entrance wasn't just bad-rear end because of the double swords, but she's in full Commander regalia too. Simply awesome.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

thrakkorzog posted:

Nuclear reactors don't turn into giant bombs when there is a meltdown.

Nobody said they do. They're simply leaking radiation, or radioactive materials into the environment.

This show always plays fast and loose with nuclear power in general. Hell, the Earth was survivable for space-faring humans after merely ~97 years, if I'm remembering correctly. I'm honestly baffled that this is what folks are complaining about at this point.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Commander and Chancellor are both dead at this point. The irradiated soil is ripe for some tyrannical shenanigans.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

It isn't like we've seen anything to say that grounder culture is everywhere. We've only seen this small area of the East coast of the US.

I like to think that there's large swaths and pockets of the world that are actually doing just fine, but the US got annihilated the worst out of anyone else.

This is my head-canon for The Walking Dead as well.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I'm gonna pop in and recommend 'Jericho'

Small town in Kansas tries to survive a nuclear apocalypse. Surprisingly less gritty than you'd expect from the genre, but refreshing nonetheless.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

The Mash posted:

Am I the only one who hopes that Ghengis Clarke kills literally everyone by the end of season 4?

This is one of the many reasons I keep coming back to the show. I wanna see just how bananas she'll go, and then I wanna see how she can justify it.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

This season has been really rad so far. I'm gonna go ahead and guess that cult plot-line will continue.

Strap yourselves in, and keep your arms and legs safely inside the solar vehicle: it's "Jaha's Wild Ride v2.0"

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

TMMadman posted:

I just don't see any single Grounder clan having the ability to survive more than just a few months in the bunker before they either screw up some vital system or just go stir crazy and try to get out/kill each other.

Skycru would have to designate one of the living chambers as "Dead Grounder Storage" within at least a week.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

esperterra posted:

At least we have the comfort of his Shamelesd character still being somewhere, alive and naked.

Any excuse for more naked Zach McGowan is a valid excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

esperterra posted:

Speaking of which, I'm so happy the show didn't pussy out on the little suicide cult. That was some dark poo poo.

That final scene between Jasper and Monty was just incredible. Tears all over. Then relief when Harper changed her mind.

When this show doesn't get bogged down in Grounder politics (excluding the Thunderdome from a few weeks ago, that was cool), it can really bring these great emotional moments.

• Locked thread