Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Boris Galerkin posted:

100+ new posts over night I thought the episode leaked and you were all talking about it but no it's just a bunch of idiots in here.

Accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I for one am glad Lexa got some of that sweet Genghis Clarke rear end before having the most zen death ever

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aphrodite posted:

It's spelled tribadism.

I approve of this post.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Just ignore tropo. Her lady boner hasn't gone soft yet.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The Iron Rose posted:

it's kinda telling how literally all the people screaming "look at the crazy lesbians!" are (presumably) straight men

I'm a lesbian. I know crazy lesbians better than anyone.

e: fwiw anyway. I'm sure in other threads someone would yell internalized patriarchy at me if I tried to justify my opinion with 'well i'm a lesbian too and think the way they handled lexa's char and needing to be written off was a big step forward for gay representation'

esperterra fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 10, 2016

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Like I wasn't kidding before when I said people who act like this over a character death (gay, straight or otherwise) all remind me of Kathy Bates in Misery.

I mean it's hilarious and all but after a point it gets kind of ridiculous and frustrating, and all the crazy vocal minorities on the internet generalizing poo poo to make it seem all lesbians (or whichever group in whichever situation) are a hivemind eventually gets to be a bit much.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Monicro posted:

My essay on why all these lesbians complaining about representation should be put in an asylum, by whiteguy von twentysomething

Except nobody has been saying that so

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Monicro posted:

Nooo esper we werent supposed to directly respond to eachother you know the rules

There are no rules bae ;3

e: ;3;3;3;3;3;3;3;3

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I agree with zoux, though. Trotting out that trope every time a gay person dies regardless of context does nothing to help representation. The idea that gay characters aren't allowed to die or can't die unless they were happy for x amount of episodes beforehand is just silly, and expecting people to hamstring the writing process imho would likely lead to less gay characters on tv rather than more. If I was writing a book or a movie or show and somebody told me 'oh just fyi, if you have any gay characters in this they're exempt from death or unhappiness' I just would rather write about straight people, because then at least I can have stakes and make poo poo interesting.

It would be so much different had they just killed Lexa off in the first episode or two to get it over with, or if they had just never had her come back after Mt. Weather and had a little piece of exposition about her being assassinated between seasons. They gave her seven episodes, though, and a lot of that screentime was to the detriment of the pacing of the Arkadia/Pike storyline. They gave Lexa more than enough. People should be happy the character was as fleshed out and nuanced as she was, and that her death has actual meaning rather than being some throwaway dead gay. Like be upset she's gone all you want, but people lining up to like lynch the writers or try to tank the ratings is just silly and I think it will just lead that vocal group to realizing they aren't actually the majority of the show's fanbase like they seem to think they are.

Besides, it's not as if Clarke isn't going to end up having another lady lover whenever she has a new romantic interest. If they weren't already planning it before (and really, she hasn't shown much interest in men at all since kissing Lexa-- her casual sex encounter this season was with a woman and not a man) I wouldn't be surprised if the writers are all fretting about whether or not to make Clarke celibate from now on or risk introducing another gay character who might have to die or be put in danger at some point in the future of the show.

Though the shitstorm if she ends up with a dude before ending up with another lady will be pretty hilarious. I honestly don't care either way, relating to two people in love is easy no matter which parts they're into. It's just a nice bonus and breath of fresh air when those characters are gay. Male or female.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

How did he lead people on, though? I don't follow twitter or whatever but from what I know he's been very open the whole time in interviews/etc about our time with Lexa being limited due to FTWD.

Genuinely curious.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zoux posted:

No if they were saying that, I wouldn't give a poo poo.

Yeah if it was mostly just 'i'm sad my fave char died and there's no lesbian couple this very second to fill the void' I can't imagine there ever would have been much of an argument. The issue (for me) is people blowing it up into some insult to gays and how all lesbians are furious about it bla bla bla, wow Tara much? etc.

Like I'm sad she's gone too, but I would never try to make it something that I truly believe it's not.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah as much as I can't help rolling my eyes at people getting Misery levels of attached to characters, this charity is still a really good thing and I am glad that there's some genuine good coming out of this shitstorm.

Besides, if there really are people emotional enough over the loss of a fictional char to harm themselves this is def the kind of thing that could help them.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

PriorMarcus posted:

I fell bad for the show runner, he's twitter is nothing but nutters being bullies over this and Emma Caulfield desperately petitioning him for a job. Both of which are deeply embarrassing for the people involved, but must be painful to read.

Emma seemed super excited during her like five seconds of screentime on Once last Sunday.

Poor girl. She's too cute and funny to not have steady work.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This show is loving great.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

And we breed some hotties up here in Canada. That helps.

If you'll excuse me I need to go flog myself for not realizing Clarke's mum is April O'Neil. I blame all the :catdrugs:

p.s. this is a rad show, eliza taylor has rad tits, and i for one think eric cerra has been loving killing it. she's come a long way from uta refson lesbian vampire

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Monicro posted:

No? What she's saying is the issue with a lot of LGBT representation in media is that it's used as a plot device for DRAMATIC THINGS to happen instead of just being a part of their character, and The 100 is unfortunately no exception to that. Admittedly it is true that this is a pretty rough show to be in as a character in general, but as has already been said the problem with tropes isn't their individual use in a vacuum, the problem comes from the fact that it's so widespread. Plus like people have already discussed there's legitimate complaints to be had about the way her death was handled so yeah.

Also this is off on a tangent a bit but since it's semi-relevant I don't really agree at all with the idea that's been passed around in this thread during this whole argument that Lexa was a side character? She was only in a fraction of the episodes but she was a preeeetty major player during that time, that's like saying Gus was a side character in Breaking Bad. I dunno I'm just thinking out loud mostly :shrug:

The 100 has a ton of gay people whose being gay is literally just part of their character and nbd. Not once has a character ever pointed out someone is gay on this show like it's some surprise.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

fwiw I was just pointing out there are several chars whose gayness is just a part of their character and never a plot device. It was the only issue I had with either side of this argument I felt worth engaging with, if only because The 100 is still an amazing show for gay representation just by virtue of having these characters be so casual about it. Whether you agree with how Lexa was handled or not I feel like that should be the one thing everyone can at least agree on. It's so simple.

Anyway how bout dat Erica Cerra

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

idk I learned my lesson long ago to just enjoy the horrible arguments for the comedy gold that they are. There have always been annoying superfans on the internet. It's just now everyone and their six year old has the net in the palm of their hand all the loving time.

Social media certainly doesn't help, but those voices would be louder than they used to be no matter what.

tl;dr i stopped taking the internet seriously in like 2001 everyone should do the same

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rhyno posted:

Ontari bled all over Clarke weeks ago so she probably spread the nightblood like herpes.

I wouldn't be overly surprised if they use that as a means for the nanomachines to have spread to Clarke tbh. We know she ends up in CoL, so it's just a matter of how. Personally I think she takes the 1.0 key. But I'm not writing off the possibility she takes the flame somehow.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

enraged_camel posted:

I hadn't noticed it either and I think it's awesome.

#hatersgonnahate

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I appreciate that Raven can see CoL in the code, and also ALIE is a woman in a red dress.

For real you guys Erica Cerra has been loving killing it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Spergatory posted:

Just here to reiterate how awesome it is that we have a show where "teenage girl protagonist slaughters hundreds" is a beloved finale tradition. :allears:

Not only that, but she's bi. Which is dope af.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The way of the future imho

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pretty sure after he found out Raven couldn't remember Finn, Jasper was permanently crossed off the list of people who could maybe be chipped. I feel fairly strongly he would rather put up with Clarke to keep his memories of Maya, than forget the girl altogether just to get back at her killer or 'save' other people.

Plus ALIE has amassed a giant zombie army at this point. Monty's mom tried to kill Octavia under the influence and the only way to stop her was some bullets. No amount of 'but Clarke is the bad guy we haven't killed as many people as her, we're good honest' could get Jasper to willingly take the chip. Like there's no backpedalling ALIE can do now to convince people to join her side without threatening them.

Maybe if someone held a gun to Raven's head, or Octavia's or Monty's, and he was tied down with no chance of pulling a stupid hero move and getting them both killed. Maybe he'd take one then. I just can't see him doing it any other way.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I still stand by my further reasoning for why it's too late in the game to chip Jasper now, especially when they could have come up with a number of different ways to mess with Monty and Raven, without having a chipped mole in the group. That said his scenes were fine. Just a weird decision, for me.

This episode was great other than that, which didn't really drag it down anyway. Excited to see how they try and wrap this up in a season. I imagine a lot of it will just have to bleed into season 4 and I am down with that. This season has had a few weird steps, but they added a lot more story to chew through in as many episodes as the last one, and I think they did well enough in trying to balance it. Not the neatest season, but maybe they'll be more prepared for next year.

Like idk, I've thoroughly enjoyed this season and had next to no problems with it. Jasper's the biggest issue I have, really. Pike was a little rushed but I've enjoyed him througout, same with everything else. It's a good show.

e: Clarke's 'I'm so sorry' was phenomenal. I knew she wouldn't break and that just made it so much better. I would have been 100% fine with Abby dying there, though I'm glad April O'Neil lives another day.

e2: And yeah dem boobs amirite. Girl is stacked.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think the secret to Jaha is he's never been all that nice. I mean the space madness doesn't help, but still.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

steinrokkan posted:

In the end they'll try to remove the Alie chip from Jaha... and discover he was never chipped to begin with! (spooky)

He did feel pain when Bellamy shot him. Jaha's chipped, obviously, or he wouldn't see or talk to ALIE but I've never felt like she has ever been in control of him.

I mean it could easily be a continuity error, but Jaha's been advising and guiding ALIE from the start. If it wasn't for him she would still be asking people nicely to take the chip, I doubt she'd be any sort of intimidating villain at all.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Virigoth posted:

Clarke's mom gunna die tonight.

I hope they hold off on killing her til next year, if only because last episode would have been the perfect death and anything else too soon would be just a shame.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think this finale was pretty nifty, but it would have packed more punch for me if Jasper did shoot himself when he left to get drinks. It just seemed like where he was headed. He took the chip so late in the game, knowing the truth about ALIE already, all that poo poo Raven went through to get out and the AI put her through to keep her chipped and of use, to me he should have been so far gone there was no turning back. Just end his pain no matter what.

But maybe that's just me. Besides, the only person of note who died besides dat double Erica Cerra was Pike, and I think most of us saw that coming.

I'm on the fence about whether or not ALIE was bluffing, but if it means they're going to road trip to reactors or some poo poo I am way on board.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Boris Galerkin posted:

No what bothered me the most was the heart pumping thing. I mean your heart beats something like 50-80 times a second. There's no way you're going to keep that up. I guess you could say they were going for volume by thing to pump more blood through but then that's also kind of limited by her own breathing since she still needs to oxygenate the blood before sending it over clarks way.

Nanomachines, son.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Crusty Nutsack posted:

But what we should all be asking is, what do the lesbians think of the finale?!

I think it's funny that some people have called her scene in the finale 'course correction' when the finale was written and filmed two months before her death scene even aired.

And by some people I mean I read one review, but I imagine more people see it that way and it makes my heart laugh.

source: i love vaginas

e:

VagueRant posted:

It also wouldn't have fit with Clarke's whole bit about overcoming pain.

I think it would have, in the sense not everyone is strong enough to overcome it.

My issue with Jasper's arc is I feel he was already overcoming it. Then all of a sudden he takes a chip off screen because no wait, it's actually still so bad for him he would rather join this AI that was willing to immediately have Raven kill herself once she wasn't useful any more, willing to use Monty's mom as a weapon to the point Monty had to shoot her to stop her, etc.

I can see why the showrunners or network execs, or whoever decided to change it did, but I personally think it would have been a stronger finale overall and a more coherent arc for Jasper if they kept it. It will be really interesting to see how they handle his character next year.

Not to say him living makes the finale bad or anything, and it's nice to see the group end on a happier note for once. Happy as it can be with a the guilt these formerly chipped people are being crushed with.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 20, 2016

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm not the biggest Jasper fan, but I do look forward to seeing what they do with him next. Both options work for me, I just think the first would have been a great ending for him and the season. All of these people having to just accept the choices they've made and try to move on. Stands to reason not all would be able to take the pressure.

This is a great show.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sober posted:

The only problem is that Jasper breaking and finally taking the chip was all off screen so him committing suicide would be equally unearned, other than the shock value of it happening. You need to show both for them to work properly. Otherwise you just end up with Pike, or any of the other characters that conveniently changed their behaviour for the plot's sake then justified all that off screen stuff in the course of one line.

I def agree they should have shown Jasper taking the chip-- or given more care to explaining it. There wasn't much time for either unfortunately.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

raditts posted:

The "night blood" came from those injections that Becca have herself, right? Wouldn't she have been able to confer the knowledge on how to make that solution via the flame? Then again I don't really know why the night blood is so important to Alie 2.0 not frying your brain it whatever.

Nanomachines, son.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nanomachines, son.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I like the whole 'body of christ' thing it has going as is, myself. Though if it had a cooler look I wouldn't complain.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Bellamy doing what he did made sense to me, but it needed at least another episode or so building up to breathe and make better sense to the audience and from what I understand even the actor. Show Pike as a man that Bellamy (a tried and true follower ever since his own failed attempt at leadership) would be willing to fall in behind.

Jasper, though? No amount of episodes would make him taking the chip make any sense. Not so drat late into the game when he knows what ALIE and Jaha are willing to do. Not after Monty's mum.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I like to think Jasper's meltdown in S3 had as much or more to do with him axe murdering people to keep Arkers alive/try and escape as much as the Maya thing, but alas they never touch on it. It would have made his mindset make a little more sense, imo. Not enough to excuse everything he did in S3, but more sensible than just 'my gf of a week or so melted in my arms'-- which, tbf, would be pretty traumatic whether he wanted to bone her or not.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I need to put on my nerd hat for a moment to announce my anger/annoyance at how broke down everything looks in Fallout 3. Beth wanted it to be a sequel to the original games and set much later, but have their wasteland cake as well. In Fallout 2 society was already in the process of rebuilding.

And the hat is off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, the show certainly takes you by surprise. I initially only started out due to knowing Dichen Lachman had a handful of episodes, and the sperg in me keeps me from just watching the arc of an actor I want to see-- gotta start from the beginning, even if I think the show will be poo poo. So happy it turned out the show is good on its own.

• Locked thread