Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The show basically cranks it up to 11 shortly after that and never lets up on the gas. I think my favourite thing about The 100 is how frantically paced it can be, just chewing through story instead of meandering and getting caught up in the typical dramas of a CW show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think it suits Bellamy just fine to fall in behind Pike, just that it was rushed like many aspects of season 3. Hell, even if he had simply shown a little hesitation it would have gone a long way. Really just dump the girlfriend scenes and use that screentime to establish why his trust in grounders is growing thin again, idk. At any rate he's a follower who has always had issues with grounders in general, trusting very few, so him ending up Pike's right hand man with no Clarke there to order him around works for me. It was just quick.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Johnny Truant posted:

Has anybody watched this via the CW app? Just had a friend mention that he thinks you can either stream it live, or the day after?

I think that's the case, yeah. For American viewers anyway. Canada gets them night of on Netflix.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I honestly wonder if a lot of that was on purpose, really. To keep the society from making the same technological mistakes that led to ALIE nuking the planet.

Granted I just think this to myself mostly to explain how the grounders could forget modern society in 97 or so years.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I don't think anybody is denying those grounders were bad people, really. I mean if the gay farm station kid whose name I keep forgetting hadn't been there, they likely would have taken the machine and left. It was clearly set up from the beginning that taking him was a bad choice-- it was kind of the point, imo.

Everyone but him agreed taking the machine was the better choice. Bellamy is easily swayed to things, however, and I'm sure wanting to ease his guilt about bad decisions made last season made it even easier to get him to blow the thing. It's one of those moments in the show that cements Clarke as the one out of the two who is hard enough to make the tough calls. Had she been there they would have taken the machine and come back later to free the slaves-- likely with a grounder to lend their being part of the coalition claims more credibility.

Good episode imo. And I'm glad the writers didn't just hit some switch and redeem Jasper after last year, he's more of a shitlord than ever now. If they'd made things all sunshine and roses with him, after he took ALIE's chip despite knowing the truth about her and how easily she would sacrifice people's bodies for her end goal.

Man I hope Jasper bites it this year. Disappointing as it is they cut him doing it last year, it will be so much more satisfying now if he keeps on this path.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

enraged_camel posted:

Jasper should have pulled that trigger.

Yeah, but it'll be extra sweet when that shitlord bites it this season.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Spergatory posted:

Every minute Jasper lives and pisses people off by doing so is a balm to my soul.

He really doesn't, though. But if it's balming your soul carry on.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A good poster posted:

Oh, loving bullshit Octavia survived that.

Eh, it's a sci fi/fantasy show and it was telegraphed to hell and back. I dig it. Octavia's hard af.

I really liked this episode overall. I was hoping the alliance would stick, but with how cagey the arkers have been about their plans it was bound to implode. The adventure to Becca's island was also very good. Jasper is still a poo poo, but I'm glad they used him to keep the list from being sat on all year. If anything they've set up a new list asap. My favourite thing about this show is how quickly it chews through plot, and season four has not disappointed in that aspect.

If you think about it Bellamy sort of hosed Clarke making her put her name on the list, tho, which I kind of saw coming last episode but I liked it. Bet she could have spun it a little better with the population if she didn't include herself. Still hot water but not as bad, easier to come back from.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

She's from back east, yeah? I'm in Vancouver myself. All the city of light poo poo was hilarious with them not disguising the harbour and convention centre in any sci fi-y way.

Agree that the cgi cliff looked at least three times as long a fall as it should have been, fwiw.

Forreal tho O is great and as an aspiring actress with a Greek af last name I always appreciate the ones who don't take a stage name. Something about famous Greek Canadians seemingly always using their full names is like a fun tradition imo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

gently caress yes, it does.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Season 3 had some pacing issues, but it was still very good imo. 4 has been a return to form so far. Not quite as tight as one and two, but the show and its universe and cast have expanded.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

At least we have the comfort of his Shamelesd character still being somewhere, alive and naked.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Wheat Loaf posted:

Just finished season three. It was fine in the end. Not as good as season one or two but hardly bad telly.

Now all I need do is wait until summer for the season four DVD to come out.

If you live in a non American country, high chances Netflix is uploading new episodes weekly, so if you want to binge it will all be available after the finale.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I feel like the odd time a character choice or miscommunication doesn't feel quite earned, it's not such a big deal because this show chews through plot at a nice clip-- in a good way. It rarely wastes the viewer's time, and I appreciate that. Even the bs with Jasper this year built to a set of scenes that made it all worth it.

Speaking of which, I'm so happy the show didn't pussy out on the little suicide cult. That was some dark poo poo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Vermain posted:

It's honestly a blessing Octavia ended up in the position she did, because she's the only person who's able to command the respect of the clans while simultaneously understanding enough of the tech situation to keep them from loving things up too badly.

Yeah, everyone is kind of hosed if O or Clarke aren't in charge, or close to who is in charge. Kane comminucates and understands the grounders fine, but those two have bloody reputations, and the grounders hold strength very highly.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I have a feeling that the very specific time set of five years before it's safe topside means we'll get a time skip. Maybe not right away, but it's happening. Assuming they don't pull a solution out their rear end in the finale.

It's been four seasons and they've only covered about a year of time, if that. A time skip would help put some space between the characters and all the crazy poo poo they've done or had happen to them, and hopefully give the people in the bunker time to actually be one crew for next season.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I loving love this show.

e: like, in a season that's kind of been about everything comin full circle for so many people, then the show also going full circle itself w/ the arkers becoming more like mt weather, then everyone finally coming together as one clan of grounders.

After that, I am fully here for a spin on season one from the opposite perspective. I've had no issue with the amount of infighting/etc between the arkers, grounders etc. After what's happened, being in the bunker 6yr, we have to move forward with them as a united people. There will prob be drama and power struggles within, w/e, but bonded through survival underground/in the sky and having a common, outside enemy.

Who knows how long into the season it will take to get the bunker dug up, or Raven ans co on the ground, though! Going to be just Clarke and her nightblood ward for a while, I'd imagine. Either way the show is shaking it up at just the right moment, imo.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 25, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They've already confirmed we'll be getting flashbacks for the 3 groups.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They went with Clarke's list from earlier in the season in the end, and iirc it had all/most of the main players on it + all the technical staff needed to survive, and children.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Combat Pretzel posted:

Right, surprise prison convicts out of nowhere. Took them six years and something, plus all the time spent on the ground before, to get to Earth? I thought adult prisoners got spaced, anyway? Why is there a huge transport coming?

There was mention of a prison asteroid mining colony a couple times this season to set up the arrival. We won't know why or how long it took them to get there until next season, obvs.

Including the time skip, it's been just around seven years since the 100 initially landed.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Evernoob posted:

Pop Quiz :

Which actor of the main "sub 18 Teen original 100" cast is the oldest?

Looking in this myself right now, but watch out. It's a trick question.

Well, I know Marie Avergopolous is like two or three years older than me, so I'll go with her.

Our Greek genes keep us young.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This show has always had reverse Bethesda Fallout syndrome. Not enough time has passed for Grounders being tribal to make sense, unless ALIE 2.0 regressed them purposefully to avoid technology running rampant. Bethesda Fallout is so many years past the nukes they should be rebuilding (and were rebuilding in FO2, it's just ignored in 3-4) but everything is shanty towns.

It's an annoyance, but doesn't ruin the show for me. Seems the writers just wanted it to be 100 years later when the 100 went down so it all ties into the title. Lame, but w/e.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

latinotwink1997 posted:

I just binged season 4 yesterday. And I'm seeing surprisingly little speculation on where this random nightblood child came from.

Could she be Clarke's kid? Maybe she was a few months preggo from her brief moment with Bellamy in season 2 (I don't know time spans on this show. Seems like not too long ago) and wasn't showing when the nuke wave occurred. Now 6 years later she has this nearly 6 year old kid.

Unless she immediately started wandering the landscape after the wave and finds this baby in a cave surrounded by her dead parents.

Or it's a Becca clone she found in some cryo tube.

Showrunners already confirmed she isn't Clarke's child. Kid's obviously much older than six, it was kind of funny they had to confirm she isn't Clarke's in the first place.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, she's 100% bisexual but that doesn't mean the more vocal lesbian fanbase (the ones who flipped their poo poo over Lexa) won't spaz out if Clarke started bumping uglies with guys again. Wouldn't be surprised if the show just avoids her liking dudes forever now, but I wouldn't mind at all if she had a male love interest again. Even if it was Bellamy, though I think their relationship is far more interesting if it remains platonic.

Some bitches be crazy. In the finale I was honestly wondering how many people watching may jump to fanatical conclusions when the kid was revealed, despite how obvious it was the kid was too old to have popped out of Clarke's chachki.

What I want is Bellamy and Echo to finally get together. It's awfully cramped on that space ring ...

Since I'm already typing a bunch of tangentially related poo poo, I'ma take this moment to say how much I appreciate Echo still being on this show, and only getting more screen time as the seasons go on. She's been around since Mt Weather and I love that she ended up being more than a one-off character. She's interesting and her dynamic with Bellamy is always fun to watch. It was a big relief when they didn't kill her off this year despite the many opportunities to handily write her out of the show. I really look forward to her being integrated even more into the main ensemble next year.

This show does a good job in general of bringing forward characters who have technically been around since the beginning, rather than just introducing new people constantly. It just feels like characters we already sort of know are finally getting focus, and it makes everything flesh out in a more natural way than just having a ton of new actors pop up to fill whatever role is needed by the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Space Crabs posted:

Clarke is kind of a dick for not bothering to dig the bunker out.

She had nothing to do for almost seven years. You aren't telling me that with trucks and probably skaikru explosives and someone to help she couldn't have found a way to the bunker entrance.

She just left them in there to probably start an underground lord of the flies when they realized rocks were holding the door shut and they had no escape.

It's addressed already in the finale, though. She said they've tried more than once to dig it out, but there's too much/too big rubble.

• Locked thread