Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The fact that the vehicles were still in working order suggests that the Mountain Men took them out occasionally - perhaps they deployed Reaper road workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Octavia's "we're back bitches" set to Radioactive is probably what gets most people to drop the show after the pilot - but it's also probably what sold CW executives to pick up the show, as it was developed at a time when teen girls was still their biggest audience.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

zoux posted:

My "wait a sec, is this gonna be an interesting show" moment was when the little girl shanked Jaha Jr., who I assumed would be part of a three season love triangle with him, Finn and Clarke.

That's what sold me on the show as well. Up to that point the we seemed to be getting a textbook CW show (for the time), then Wells got stabbed and they proceeded to throw the CW textbook off the cliff with Charlotte in the next episode, and I knew I was in for the long haul.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Error 404 posted:

Sure. But their apocalypse is still 100+ years in "our" future.
I don't see too many people rocking out to 1916's greatest hits.

I could see people people still listening to Beatles albums in 50 years.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Does the Ice Queen want to lose her people to genocide? Because that'd how you get Clarke to commit genocide.

Vane need to ready a ship so Clarke can continue laying waste to what's left of the human race on other continents.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

I was really surprised nobody vehemently opposed trying to get the missiles operational. They went from "no we can't even look at Mount Weather, it'll break the truce" to everybody jumping on the Dr. Strangelove boat.

Other than Kane, Jasper, and Octavia, the rest of the Ark survivors were probably itching to give the grounders the middle finger and live with the modern conveniences of Mount Weather.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

As if WMATA would get the purple line up and running in the next 97 years.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Pike went full Trump. You never go full Trump.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Troposphere posted:

can I trade pike for jaha? I'm sorry I made fun of you jaha please come back you were way better than this douche

Pike's position is understandable. His entire relationship with the rounders has involved them trying to kill people from the Ark. From the second the farm station landed, the grounder a killed his people, including children. He knows they tried to kill the 100. When he did give a grounder the benefit of the doubt, it got Mount Weather blown up. After all of that I'd also be skeptical of a grounder army that surrounded my camp "as protection".

If Roan beat Lexa, that army would have been given orders to kill the Sky Crew.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

hollylolly posted:

I knew Pike was going to become Chancellor. :argh: Bellamy is letting his emotions for his dead girlfriend and trusted earth skills teacher sway him and I'm not a fan of this character twist.

I think we could have got to this point with Bellamy, without the Gina angle. Bellamy has always been willing to go to extremes when either he or his people were threatened. Let's not forget that he captured and tortured Lincoln, allowed 300 people on the Ark to be killed to avoid facing the consequences of shooting Jaha, and was leading the charge to kill grounders when Finn and Clarke wanted to make peace. Last season he let his guard down, as Pike did in the episode before, and in return for risking his life to free all the grounders, Lexa left them all to die once she had gotten what she wanted. When Clarke pulled the level to irradiate Mount Weather, she was killing Cage and mostly faceless people. Bellamy joined her in eradicating everyone even after being saved and aided by the good Mountain Men. Now, the grounder who probably best understands what Bellamy went through to save them, betrayed him and got Mount Weather blown up. It would have been completely reasonable for Bellamy to join Pike's grounder extermination force without the dead girlfriend motivation.

Even Pike is acting fairly rationally given the information he has. The Farm Station have been getting killed by grounders from the minute they landed, and now there is a "truce" assured by the grounder commander, whose actions would have likely left no remaining Ark survivors for him to have reunited with. Under this truce, some grounders still blew up half of Pike's people - and now there is an grounder army surrounding them. You would have to be pretty naive to believe that the army surrounding you were there to help.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

hollylolly posted:

Farm Station should be helping Arkadia figure out their food growing situation, not leading the charge of breaking up a coalition they know nothing about. :argh: They should have all been inside Mt Weather!

Despite not knowing a whole lot about the history of the grounder alliance, Farm Station still have a much better grasp of the situation that the Sky people currently face. Roan was one lunge away from getting all of Arkadia murdered in their sleep. The only actual "allies" the Sky people have among the grounders are a recently-unbanished Lincoln, the healer, Indra, and Lexa (and that's almost entirely down to her having a thing for Clarke). Most of the grounders want to kill them, and even as commander, Lexa didn't prove capable of keeping them safe.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Snak posted:

The worst thing about Pike isn't that he's the way he is, it's that Kane and Abby are just like "yeah he's super racist against grounders and thinks that it's us against them, but we aren't going to sit him down and explain the importance of the situation, we'll just keep inviting him to meetings and letting him see how much authority he can get away with". Like it's completely stupid of all the characters who have been major players in the last season to just be like "yeah these guys are 2 seconds from murdering our friends who have helped us because they look like the enemy, but what can you do?"

Abby and Kane don't really have much justification to provide Pike.

"These grounders are totally cool, trust us."
"They only killed about half of the 100 kids we sent down, and the other half are alive because Raven was able to rig the dropship's thrusters to incinerate a few hundred of their soldiers."
"We worked together for a few months against a common foe, but as soon as they got what they wanted, they bailed and left us to die very painful deaths - and that is the good grounder clan, the others hate our guts."
"But aside from that, Pike, you are wrong about the grounders, they are great people."

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Snak posted:

I don't understand what Pike's plan is when they eventually run out of bullets. They live on the ground with thousands of grounders, and there are only 100s of Ark people left. Given the populations and armies we've seen, there's no reason to believe that there aren't hundreds of thousands of grounders alive in North America. Pike plan is literally to kill the only 300 grounders who are specifically not planning to kill them. This only sends one message, that you can't trust the Skaikru, and that the Skaikru is more trouble than they are worth. You can't wage guerrilla warfare when the enemy knows the terrain better than you. If a grounder army lays siege to Arkadia, that's game over.

These are also the same grounders who left Skaikru to die a few months ago, and if Roan won, would have received the command to kill Skaikru in their beds. Skaikru have been receiving the poo poo end of the stick for a long time, and Kane's pacifism would likely get them all killed without even putting up a fight. Since forming an alliance, the Skaikru have been betrayed and left to die, had a bounty placed on their true "leader", and seen Mt. Weather blown up. Kane's response has been to turn the other cheek, and allow the grounders to escalate hostilities. There is no long term coexistence possible for these two sides. Pike wants to go down swinging, and the grounders don't know how much ammunition Arkadia has. Perhaps they removed it all from Mt. Weather before it was attacked. Massacring a few hundred grounders triggers a war that was coming anyway, but incites fear in the grounder army that thousands more will die in the conflict.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

I would think if Roan had won, Indra wouldn't follow an attack command on Arcadia.

Of course that doesn't matter to Pike.

Indra obeyed the command to withdraw at Mt. Weather even though she disagreed with it. If a commander, with full support of the other clans, gives an order - she will follow it. She won't sacrifice her clan to protect Skaikru.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Pike was elected precisely because Kane's pacifism doesn't have many fans among Skaikru. Kane continues to ask his people to turn the other cheek despite the grounders loving them over again and again. How many of his people have to die before he sends Lexa a strongly worded letter? Pike on the other hand is advocating that Skaikru stand up for themselves and fight fire with fire, and for a group that has been getting shat on constantly since making it to Earth, that's a attractive proposition.

Bellamy was basically the proto-Pike of season one, and risked more than anyone to make the grounder-Skaikru alliance work, and all he got for his troubles was a knife in the back from the grounders. Cooperating with grounders to battle the mountain men was Bellamy being pragmatic in dealing with a more threatening foe, but he has always been the most anti-grounder character on the show until Pike showed up.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

VagueRant posted:

But Bellamy's arc still bugs me. Because the way he went from bad boy stereotype to actual steadfast cool dude/leader/one of the best characters in season 2 was a big deal. Even at the start of this season he seemed like a responsible sergeant type back in the jeep scene. And now he's just being a big dumbdumb and it's sad.

The very first thing Bellamy did when he was outside of Kane's sights was to enter Ice Nation territory. He may be the most competent soldier among the Arkers but his decision making has always been a little "suspect".

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Dalael posted:

Its funny..

Season 1 and Season 2, goons just loved the fact that things went sour like this.
But ow that its season 3, its all about crying how the show's going downhill. Like with virtually any thread about any show.

Time makes the heart grow fonder and all of that, but goons really go off the rails holding shows to standards that they have never actually met before, and then hate-watching despite the show having the same qualities and flaws that it always did.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I'm ready for some grounder justice tonight.They have had it coming for a while - especially Treekru who have killed more Ark people than any other faction on the ground.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Glad everyone is now suddenly a willing murderer after 3 months of peace with the grounders, during which they built a strong lasting proto-city that is miles better than living on the Ark.

I'm actually mad at this show for becoming so dumb. Feels like Game of Thrones Season 5.

3 months of peace after being back stabbed and left to die, and after Treekru engaged in biological warfare against a group of kids. Let's not forget that during these 3 months of peace, the grounders killed 2/3rds of the Farm Station and put out a bounty on the person who destroyed their biggest enemy.

The grounders have been making GBS threads on the Ark people ever since they hit the ground. Cage at least had a reason to kill them - grounders have been doing it just because they can. Treekru have killed more of the 100 than anyone else, and they were ready to let the Mountain Men kill the rest of them but people still want to give them a free pass.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

VagueRant posted:

I get what they're going for with Pike and it is interesting, the point Snak made about the way advanced empires treat indigenous peoples...But I still think they've mishandled Pike and his setup and the election SO MUCH that it's an all-round failure as a story. He definitely needed more build up, to show his way, his influence, his motivations. Even the constant references to "the election" in this ep as if it was an event instead of a mention by Kane in one line at the end of the previous episode...

We already know Pike's motivation. The Farm Station arrived at the same time that Kane and Abby did. Since then, he basically lived through The 100 season 1 - being mercilessly killed by grounders (~120 of his people dead). After being caught up on the situation once he got to Arkadia, he found out that they were being killed WHILE there was a truce in place. The entire relationship between grounders and the Ark has basically been grounders doing lovely things to the Ark folk, and the Ark people turning the other cheek and helping grounders.

The first stupid decision Pike made, given the information available to him, is to think he can expand their territory by 15km with the limited resources they have.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

VagueRant posted:

Yeah, but again, he got one little recappy speech about things that happened offscreen, and suddenly everyone in the camp is rallying behind him.
Most of the people in Arkadia have had literally no reason to like the grounders. You have what's left of the 100 who consider themselves lucky to have survived the Treekru attacks. Then you have the adults who came down with Kane who have only seen Lexa's betrayal and heard of what they tried to do the kids who came down. Finally you have what is left of the Farm Station, whose entire time on the ground has been getting killed by the grounders that supposedly had a truce with them. Pike's wanting to strike back at the grounders was always going to be an easy sell. The grounders could have stuck around to help build the Ark people a great new camp with access to resources, or shown some sort of remorse for their actions, but they didn't.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Finn went rogue and was a solo actor - the only other Sky person present tried to get him to stop. Pike and his 10 good men acted on behalf of the people of Arkadia, and were only able to carry out the attack after being voted chancellor after communicating to the people what he planned to do.

Had the group marched out of the gate when Lincoln tried to stop them, you could make the case for punishing the 10 attackers. Now however, you can't separate Pike's group from the rest of the camp. You punish everyone, or you pardon everyone.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Kane and Abby had successfully thwarted the Pike massacre. It's difficult to pin this only on the leader, when people voted for him as Chancellor, specifically to enable him to carry out the plan of killing the Treekru army. You could have made the case that the Farm Station are a group of outsiders who showed up and co-opted the peaceful people of Arkadia, but thanks to the grounders there weren't enough of them left to install Pike as chancellor on their own. Some combination of the 100 and Kane's station voted to kill Indra's clan, with full knowledge of their history and current relationship.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Snak posted:

It actually seems like Kane and Abby have done basically nothing to explane the political situation to the citizens of Arkadia. There has never been a scene where they explained to someone what is going on that that they have a plan. It actually seems like Clarke and Octavia are the only Arkers who a clue about how grounder culture works, and they Haven been proactive about educating people.

That comes down to Kane not having a plan, and most of Arkadia must have known in the back of their minds that the peace was a lie, and that is why they voted for Pike. The rest of the grounder leaders were ready to replace Lexa and wipe out Arkadia. Perhaps if Kane and Indra were serious about building a lasting peace they would have tried to integrate their people, let them share knowledge and customs, and try to build some consensus among the grounders that Ark people are cool, and that they are all going to be better off working together. Instead, they have had this "uneasy peace" with seemingly minimal contact.

quote:

But that's also not how democracy works. We're not pinning it on anyone, Pike gave the order.

It's like saying that people who voted to re-elect Bush knew full well there weren't any WMDs in Iraq. But they didn't, because they were stupid and uneducated. (I mean, some of knew and were smart and educated, but not all of them)

This was a little bit different to your example. The people of Arkadia chose to reject their long term leaders and vote for Pike, who was already in detention for treason after making it known he was going to kill the Treekru army that was sent to protect them. Pike wasn't just some guy they voted for who turned out to be crazy. He was prevented from committing an atrocity, and the people of the Ark stood up and said screw that, we want Pike's crew to go and kill Indra's army. The Arkadian population might as well have pulled the trigger at that point. They are all guilty, and pinning this on Pike would be a cop out.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Snak posted:

Even Bellamy didn't realize the plan was to execute all of them. I think that while can certainly hold the voters morally responsible, it makes sense to hold the actual perpetrators of the crime to be held legally responsible.

Are you really suggesting that there should be no middle ground between punishing everyone who voted for Pike and no one?

He carried out the will of the majority of his people. They should all suffer the same fate.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Okay, granted, but nobody thinks to call bullshit on him? Abby and Kane just spent months trying to figure out how to live with the Grounders, they finally work out a tenuous truce and avert a war, then some jackass shows up and is all 'we should kill em all!' and they're like, welp, guess he's boss now?

I guess I'm not pissed at his idiotic black/white attitude, more at how the writers have made everybody else on the show retarded so that a guy who literally tried to commit mass murder 12 hours ago is made the boss so they can wring out more easy DRAMA

The fact that it is a tenuous truce gives credence to Pike's insistence that they are at war. Kane and Abby had secured a ceasefire, not peace. The grounders were more trusting and cooperative with the Ark people last year in the build up to Mount Weather than they were now (Indra was giving them combat training etc.).

All that's transpired since then was Lexa betraying the Ark survivors, and the Ark folk killing all of the Mountain Men anyway and saving all of the grounders from their biggest threat. The grounders should have been all over the Ark people after that. If Indra was such a friend to Arkadia she should have sent over labor and supplies to help the Ark people build a proper home. There should have been free flowing trade and knowledge sharing between their people. Instead, Abby and Kane are walking on egg shells trying to desperately avoid a war when grounder-Ark relations should be at their highest point. Even before Pike attacked, Lexa's affection for Clarke was the only thing preventing an unprovoked massacre of Arkadia by the grounders.

Pike wasn't destroying a hard fought peace, but choosing to strike first in a fight Kane was doing his best to pretend wasn't coming - and that's how he easily won the support of the camp.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
The season will likely end with ALIE almost killing everyone. She probably has a mass-extermination + simultaneous transfer to the City of Light planned, because its really inefficient having Jaha convert people one at a time. Clarke will put an end to the AI after 75% of the grounders and Ark people die, and whoever remains from the various factions will likely all come together and live in peace - but Kane will be dead and won't get to see his dream come true.

If the show continues beyond this season, I could see the Ark people being forced to leave and go west/south outside of Lexa's territory where they run into some small high-tech societies living in some ruins and we begin the conflict-peace-conflict thing all over again.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Tyree posted:

I like how Pike massacres the treekru, lucks out with lexa calling a cease fire, then immediately decides to murder more people. If they just went along with the Commander, they could have gotten food thru them or at least been on good terms and been able to farm on that soil anyway.

Relying on Lexa for food is a good way to get your people exterminated. There is also no chance they would been able to farm that soil. Most grounders wanted to kill the Ark people, even before Pike's massacre. I don't think Lexa would be commander for very much longer if she told grounders to move their villages out of the way, so that the Ark people could farm their land.

It hadn't even occurred to Kane to plan for Arkadia's food or water needs. Sitting in your camp and expecting Lexa to take care of you because she has a thing for Abby's daughter is such weak leadership. Pike may be a hard rear end, but he is the first person from the Ark actually think about the big picture for Ark people resettling the Earth. Lexa could suffer from a ruptured appendix tomorrow, and then what? The brand on Kane's arm isn't going to stop the other 11 clans from burning Arkadia to the ground.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

thrakkorzog posted:

The whole Bellamy thing is really bugging me. It's really getting into Finn 2.0 territory here. This show has started to develop a bad habit of forgetting past characterization just to further the plot. The show has done a pretty good job doing redemption arcs. After all, who would have thought back at the beginning of the first season that Kane would be the voice of reason? It's just really, really bad at showing people going down the road paved with good intentions. Bellam has previously been shown to accept that there are some good grounders.

Bellamy was the most anti-grounder Ark person until Pike showed up. He didn't spend last season singing Kumbaya around the fire place with the grounders. He accepted the need to work together against a common foe, and risked everything to make an alliance between them work, but was repeatedly backstabbed. First it was Lincoln, then Lexa not only left him and his people to die, but forced him to kill the good Mountain Men that saved his rear end, and finally the grounder who best understands what Bellamy did to save them exploited his trust to blow up Mountain Weather.

Kane was really the only thing keeping Bellamy's natural instincts at bay, but Kane was a poor leader. He didn't do anything to make the peace tangible, and neither did Indra or Lexa.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
This isn't the kind of show where you can write a character out without killing them. Lexa can't exactly go and move in with her sister on the opposite coast. She is the commander of the grounder alliance - she can't be uninvolved with the story.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

send her off to coast city obviously

She could go hang out with Barry's Jay's dad.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

zoux posted:

I'm pretending it takes place 200 years after the attack instead on 100 years and please no one tell me different.

I'm guessing the 97 year time frame came from when they were still focusing on adapting the book, but before they threw it out to do their own thing.

With regards to Lexa's death, I have to say I feel sorry for Murphy. He has been on the ground for about six months and so far he was:
framed for Wells murder and almost hung
captured by the grounders and used to spread disease in dropship camp
had Raven try to offer him up to the grounders in place of Finn (deserved that one)
went on Jaha's crazy voyage and almost got killed by a water monster
locked up in isolation in a bunker for three months
tortured by Titus for information
and now he will be framed for Lexa's murder.

If there is anyone who needs to join ALIE 1.0s City of Light, its Murphy.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Azhais posted:

Strictly speaking didn't the whole grounder/skykru war start due to the rockets the kids sent up to say they were ok? I seem to recall them managing to hit and destroy multiple grounder settlements, which is why the warband went on the march in the first place.

If skykru would just stop murdering grounders this whole thing might just work out.

The flare they sent up, after Bellamy broke the radio, to try and prevent the readjustment of the census on the Ark landed on a village and burned it down. They did spear Jasper before that, so I'd have called it even at that point.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

hcreight posted:

I'm starting to wonder if The CW got a little too cocky with this "early renew everything" stunt.

That was not so much a show of faith in their current lineup, but a lack of faith in their pilot development.

CW will clean house next year. With the exception of Flash and final seasons for Arrow and Supernatural, I'd expect that everything else gets cancelled (perhaps Jane the Virgin and Crazy Ex Girlfriend get renewed and moved to Friday if they continue to bring in awards).

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I don't think this episode was any more edgy or grimdark than the show has been from from the start. By episode four we had a 10 year old girl kill a guy, let another guy get hung in her place, and then commit suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

It's actually quite plausible.

• The vast majority of the world's knowledge today is stored on computers, most of which would either have been destroyed or rendered useless after a nuclear war. The remainder would have lasted for at most a few decades without proper maintenance before reaching a non-working state. Same with books, most of which tend to be stored in libraries (in towns and cities) and various learning centers (also in towns and cities).
  • The overwhelming majority of the world's experts would have perished during the initial nuclear exchange, where bombs would definitely have targeted major population centers where those experts tend to congregate. The surviving experts would prioritize the acquisition of basic resources (food, water, shelter) and over time would lose most of their technical skills and knowledge (due to not having the need or the opportunity to use them. It's hard to practice biochemistry if you don't have a lab.)
  • The most likely survivors of nuclear war would be those living in rural or remote areas furthest removed from population centers. Such people tend to specialize in the least advanced sectors of the economy such as agriculture, forestry, hunting and mining.
  • Due to scarcity of basic resources, constant exposure to the elements (especially radiation) and lack of modern medicine, the average life span for survivors would be quite low -- probably 30-40 years. This means that, after ~100 years, the chances of someone whose grandparents would remember what it was like before the bombs fell would be zilch.
  • Over a period of ~100 years (four generations), you're quite likely to end up with small to medium-sized tribes with technology levels of societies circa the first millennia. Any sort of pre-war technology they come across would be, as someone once said, indistinguishable from magic, and therefore become religion (just like with the shrine to the Commander in Polis).

There is a reason Einstein said that the fourth world war would most likely be fought with sticks and stones. He understood the fragile nature of society's technological state and the way a nuclear war would devastate most if not all of it. The show simply takes place in such a setting, and once you logically work through the most likely consequences of nuclear war you'll find it quite realistic.

Agreed. Even if we assume that a lot of the survivors were originally from the DC area, and were probably in nuclear shelters - hence their access to Hazmat suits, what would parents be teaching the first generation of kids born into the post-war world? Some history of the world before, but mostly practical skills that are needed to survive in the new world. You are probably not passing on your knowledge of managerial accounting, or coding in java. By the time the second generation was born, they would probably be living the current grounder lifestyle minus some of the tribal rituals and traditions.

• Locked thread