Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Man, Bellamy has killed a hundred times more people than Octavia. She really has a ways to go to live up to the family name. Although granted he was a security grunt and she was a semi-feral child he raised in a shoebox, so I guess she's punching above her weight class a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

WarLocke posted:

Like I said, bring on the Badass Warrior Princess Olivia action :black101:

I really think she's going to end up leading the Grounders somehow. She's basically cut ties with the Arkers, and going solo doesn't seem like a direction for her arc to go in.

Either she ends up replacing Lexa somehow and then has to face off against Clarke, or maybe her replacing Lexa will open up the way for an actual Grounder/Arker alliance.

The Grounders are semi-feral tribal hillbillies that could get absolutely loving smoked by any reasonable advanced group that wanted to mess with them. Like they were literally a crop for Mt. Weather, that's how much all their warrior bullshit matters. They are walking potatoes. What did Octavia ever do to you that was so terrible you'd wish her leadership of those gently caress ups?

Mulva fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 14, 2016

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

etalian posted:

It's more like when the Vikings tried to colonize Canada.

It didn't work out since despite their big technology advantage the vikings were badly outnumbered and the indians also used guerilla tactics against them.

Probably the other big reason why the native americans lost was due to diseases such as smallpox decimating 75% to 90% of the population base. Good luck fighting off invaders after the basic population base got almost wiped out.

The situation here though is orders of magnitude worse for the Grounders. They are still using spears and swords when the other side has missiles and death fog. You can't lay a trap against a missile strike on your children. Nor can you use guerrilla tactics against a horrific death fog. The only thing they could bring their force to focus on for the last near century was....reavers, who are ultimately just their own people drugged out of their gourds. They could literally only fight themselves, all for the grand prize of nothing. They had an overwhelming numerical advantage against misfit children, and they died screaming and on fire because of how massive the technological gulf is. Even asymmetrical warfare assumes the enemy actually shows up somewhere for you to fight them. If they don't and are killing you anyway, you are pretty screwed. And all those things that they never found a way to overcome are still in play. And into the mix now we add an A.I.. At least the Ark crew has some folks with basic empathy and a desire to be good people. They are unlikely to immediately start launching missiles and repairing the death fog pipes just because the Grounders screwed them over. An A.I. that potentially started the great war that killed off most of humanity? Maybe they can do a really sweet flip and throw a sword at it or something.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah, but that poo poo isn't a light switch. It's not "Ok, now we can act like people again!" and suddenly they understand mainframes and the internal combustion engine. Without help that kind of thing would take them generations, and they pissed off the only people who could have potentially helped them. And they did it in such a way that it'd take something pretty cataclysmic to ever get help from them again.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

So Lexa is the leader of a coalition of 12 clans, like the tree crew and the others I don't remember the names of. It's more like a kingdom than a coalition but okay whatever.

Before Lexa they were all separate. Now they are loosely aligned for the first time ever. It's a coalition.

quote:

Question: is Ice Nation a part of this coalition?

Yes.

quote:

So if Ice Nation is a part of the coalition, why is their leader's son a prisoner?

Because the Ice Nation is poo poo and has been trying to gently caress with Lexa for...ever. They kidnapped her old girlfriend and tortured her to death, it's one of the things that put her on her whole "Emotions are weakness" kick.

quote:

Like I get the idea that Ice Nation is another clan of people and apparently they enough people and power so that it was in 12 other clan's best interests to unite as a single front.

They are one of the 12 Clans.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

Polis is in B'more, from what i gather.

Or it's the place directly to the east of DC with "Polis" in the name, Annapolis.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
That's odd. Wonder how that worked out. Everything else is basically named after what it always was, it's not like "Tondc" is what they call Richmond. At least living in Baltimore explains why they are so poo poo at running things.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

thrakkorzog posted:

From what I understand, the basic idea behind Trigdasleng is that it's designed to be a made up language, sort of like Pig Latin. It's a pidgin English for a survivalist group that's big enough that not everybody knows each other. So if somebody can talk to you in the same made-up language, then you're both part of the same group, and if somebody doesn't understand, then they're an outsider. Which is why a lot of English creeps into the language, and why things like skykru and and treekru makes sense.

It's not hard to imagine slipping in polis in as a word for city, since it's the root word for words like politician, polite, and policy. I have studied zero ancient Greek and I know that polis means city.

Yeah, it's basically English smacked around a bit. "Fix up" becomes "fis up" is "to heal", poo poo like that. "Gunner" becomes "gona", a "warrior". A "fight" is "gonplei", "gunplay". "English" is "Gonasleng", "Gunner slang", the warrior's language. So Polis as "Well it's Greek for city" is like I'm totally not going to think about it again after this, but it's amusing they broke naming trends when there is an entire city right on top of them that could just as easily be Polis.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Some people seem to forget this show had a season one, where Bellamy responded to being pushed into the corner by being stupid and reactive. They haven't even been on the ground a year, he's still basically that person. He hosed up a few times in short order, it screwed with his confidence, he does what he always does: Fall in line behind a strong authority figure with a vision. It seems like a positive trait when that person is Clarke and he's going to bat for people you care about. When it's Pike, it's poo poo. It's the same character flaw at work either way.

That being said Pike is rushed as gently caress and entirely one note, if in a very human way.

e: Seriously, none of what he is doing is out of line with how he's always acted, it's just the worst part of his character. I get that people want cool hero Bellamy and not douchebag with two chicks in his tent destroying everyone else's life to keep his sister safe Bellamy, but it's the same guy. And only fictional characters can manage to shed their negative qualities that quickly.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 12, 2016

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Face blindness is a common goon condition.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
A reminder that Mt Weather used missile strikes, death fog, drug crazed cannibals, and random mass kidnappings [That when uncovered turned out to be because they were literally blood sucking vampires living in a loving crypt]. Pike is wildly mistaken if he thinks the Grounders are going to be afraid of guns.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

jfood posted:

It's a fortified position at the top of a hill with no cover leading up to it.

There's a treeline like 5 feet from their camp. Come on son, at least put effort into it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

One thing I wish the show did a better job of is ground itself more in North American geography. I mean, the nuclear war was only a hundred years ago. Surely the survivors should still refer to places by name, based on old maps, and come across ruined cities?

They stopped doing that when they realized Mt Weather brutally hosed them up whenever they tried to hold on to the old world in any way possible. Or whenever they needed to kidnap more people. Or probably just wanted to gently caress someone up for sport. There's a reason English is the language of the enemy, it's because if you speak it Mt Weather knows what you are saying. So they moved to a proto-English language that is close enough to be picked up quickly, but distinct enough to not instantly be decipherable to listeners that only know English. When you combine the fact they can not maintain technology on fear of being brutally murdered by scary rear end monster people in their impenetrable fortress bunker, and the fact they've eliminated their native language except among the most trusted warrior caste? You have a civilization primed to regress and evolve at rapid speed. I'm sure there are some that know that "Tondc" was once Washington, DC. Lincoln met someone from the Ark when he was a child, and was naturally curious about him. Not everyone is going to be unreflective and totally accepting of the status quo, and might consider the way things were. It's just that the status quo was maintained for a pretty solid reason [Challenge it and crazy monsters will come and slaughter you and everyone you love], and most people aren't going to be that interested in bucking it.

There's a reason that trader post girl calls Clarke a hero, and they instantly mythologize her as the Commander of Death for killing the Mountain. The defining feature of Grounder life was pathological fear of Mt Weather and everything they did. It's a massive deal that it's gone now, and the existence of everything about their society is now called into question.

As for there still being parts of the old world around....well we do see them every so often. The fact we deal with like the same 4 locations and the road between them cuts down on chances to see new stuff though.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

This explains why Grounders invented their proto-English, but it doesn't explain why the Sky Crew has no maps or historical knowledge of and does not seek the ruins of pre-war cities, especially now that Mountain Men are dead. For example, Washington, D.C. is only 50 miles from Mt. Weather.

They do, to some degree. The first thing they targeted was Mt Weather. The second thing they targeted was a relief shelter. They knew where these things were because they weren't ignorant of pre-war conditions. We've dealt with an incredibly reduced timeline where their priorities were basic survival. After the jump they are still picking clean Mt Weather [Pity they didn't get that art out], which was kind of a goldmine. They don't go to DC because it's Tondc now, home to the group of Grounders they have a....complicated relationship with. Realistically what need would they have to press that issue? More guns? They have enough to defend themselves, they really didn't have the people to meaningfully use more guns. Not like they'd find food or water. Random tech? They don't need random tech, they need crops and medical supplies and things like that. Crops you just have to grow, medical supplies they got from Mt Weather.

Really, who would care about random exploration? Finding the original copy of the Declaration of Independence or something isn't going to help you live a single day longer. For all that they were doing grid searches of the area around them, we just come in at the tail end of it in season 3.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

Which is what the show should have more of.

Why? Grounders aren't going to stay in ruins and the things you find in them because having the things you find in them gets them killed, and the Ark folks don't need much of anything from them as is. And there's the fact pretty much all of them are in the territory of people that are still undecided on the whole "Brutally slaughtering them" issue. Add in the fact the show has a budget of five dollars, and there's no reason for it to come up much. What would possibly make you expect to see it?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
There's like a 500% chance that chip ends up in Clarke at some point.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Lexa dies in a gladiator match with the season's real foe: The patriarchy.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's a religious thing, she literally refers to the picking a new Commander as "reincarnation". They wouldn't do the process without her being definitively donezo, and you can't have her hang around in limbo with a massive conflict on the horizon.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I mean not for nothing but the Polaris crew did a really poo poo job there. "Begin docking now or we will shoot you out of the sky". "Ok, just hold on a minute.". "...begin docking now or we will shoot you out of the sky.". "Yeah that's cool, just give us a minute.". "....no really, dock now or we are totally blowing you the hell up.". "Yeah I see where you are coming from, but also one more minute.". "Well, guess it's time to kill a bitch." "NO WAIT WE ARE TOTALLY GOING TO DOCK NOW!". It's like who cares if you think she has a humanity killing AI, you weren't going to resolve that in the next ten seconds anyway. And there is no way to convey that information that wouldn't terrify the rest of the stations either. They tell you to start docking, just start docking really slow. Buy time. They got stupid and preachy and they ate some missiles for it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Following his lead might be an upgrade. In some ways he's even more extreme.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's the Walking Dead. The central family in that had the son have to shoot the mother in the face after helping her give birth, and the father coming back later to kill the horribly bloated zombie that ate every single piece of her.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Monicro posted:

Also on a semantic note calling being over-emotional autistic doesnt even make any sense, like, what

Nah, empathy and communication are problems with autism. They aren't literally robots that don't feel things themselves though, and they are entirely capable of [And in some cases of more severely impaired mental development, more inclined towards] emotional outbursts when disturbed. So calling someone over-emotional and autistic is to imply they don't understand anyone else's feelings and are throwing a tantrum because things aren't going their way. AKA basically every personal attack on the internet that isn't "I nailed your mom and you are gay".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Troposphere posted:

yes tell me more about how Jason rothenberg is a poor victim of Internet bullying because that doesn't sound absurd at all

Not really. Terrible people can still be bullied too, and the internet is filled with a ton of totally loving crazy people. On the face of it if you tell me literally anyone on the internet is being bullied, no matter who, I start from a default position of accepting it as a possibility. The title of God-Emperor of Crazy fans will always go to the fans of Supernatural, who have made death threats to the wives of the leads and called security on them at Cons to try to get them thrown out as prostitutes and all sorts of crazy poo poo. Fans of small genre shows can be utterly driven in their psychosis.

• Locked thread