Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

enraged_camel posted:

All TV shows need to be an hour long. I really hate the 40ish minute format. Everything feels really rushed.
It's entirely a pacing issue with The 100, that's it. There are plenty of shows that use the 42-44 or so minute runtime perfectly. For network you're kinda stuck with what you got so I guess for JRoth and fam they decided to just lean hard on plot at the usual expense of anything else to use their time wisely.

I mean if you look at the last two episodes of The Americans that just aired, one of their best episodes ran just short of 40 minutes. They then followed up with an episode that ran just a bit longer than normal (48 or so minutes). And both episodes completely justified their runtime. I don't think Better Call Saul either has really fluctuated around their 45 minute runtime much either and they are always hailed for having a lot of breathing room and tense sequences.

Most of the time the only 55-60 minute episode shows that justify it do so because they actually have an enormous cast or know what they're doing with it. This is not true with for instance, most streaming shows (and even some really lovely premium cable shows) and could stand to lose some runtime because it isn't really well spent at all. Daredevil S2 especially is really egregious at not really justifying their hour-long runtime at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Bolton Hairy-Bore posted:

Good points. But this is The 100, where characters change for no reason besides plot convenience. The writers will chip Jasper and then halfassedly try to retroactively justify it.
Yeah the explanation was pretty half-assed to me.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Spergatory posted:

This is pretty much the main issue with the season so far. Mechanically, there's really nothing wrong with it, but it feels like several emotional beats and necessary character moments are missing. Good storytelling is like cooking. Some things just take time. You can have all the right ingredients for a cake and mix them perfectly, but if you try to cut the baking time in half by doubling the heat, you're... uhhh... you're not gonna like what comes out. :supaburn:

Basically, they sacrificed character for plot and the show is suffering for it.
Here's the thing about Jasper and being chipped -- it could work, but the show just wants to skip right to it, not do any of the hard work getting there. This has been a flaw of the show since the first season. Sometimes we (fans, critics) give them some slack if they can deliver on the follow through (and we have, see most of S2), but it's like a terrible flaw of the show that the writers never seem to want to address and just push down harder on the plot gas.

If you ultimately want to make Jasper break and accept the chip, that's fine. It's unexpected, mechanically makes the finale more interesting, but he doesn't seem to have a say in it. It's pretty much done off screen. Oh and the lame excuse he gives to Monty is that he got fed up after they got to Luna's oil rig and ruined the place and Shay (?) that girl was killed because of him. So basically the show just up and fridged another woman and didn't even have the decency to give Jasper the agency or the screentime to reach the conclusion he gave to Monty in this episode. I mean yeah if you are gonna fridge a woman, we should at least get the requisite manpain scene, but they don't even do it. You are just supposed to accept it.

Sometimes it gets really muddy and you can argue in other shows whether characters drive the plot or the plot drives the characters (which is a weaker way to write, because it is inherently flawed) but this show makes no qualms and barely attempts to hide the fact that most of the time the plot is what moves the characters forward, and they take most of their agency out of it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Clarke condemning 95% of the remaining human population to slow radioactive death. Talk about classing up your genocidal tendencies.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

One both sides, Jasper killing himself would've at the same time made the most sense but it would also be the cheapest unearned poo poo ever. Basically it boils down to him taking the chip, which was all off-screen and so was whatever emotional justification for it all in the service of providing a little bit of tension for the Arkadia scenes in the finale and so he could monologue for about a minute in the City of Light.

All the poo poo Jasper went through we have the rough idea of it but the show glossed over it to the point where his decision to finally take the chip despite everything is undercut, so if you end with him killing himself it's cheapened because the show never showed how he got there no matter how much you can draw lines from one scene to another, the show didn't bother to do the legwork to earn it.

It's basically just a microcosm of everything wrong with the writing on the show sometimes, it skips over the actual work you need to do to get to the good stuff so it feels unearned. Another example is Pike. They spent like 7, 8 episodes of him telling everyone how poo poo the grounders are and how he needs to be chancellor and bring the war to everyone, but the show never shows his actual point of view on the grounders - for example actually showing how when Farm Station landed it was actually utter poo poo - and he just kept telling people that and we were supposed to take his word for it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

esperterra posted:

I think it would have, in the sense not everyone is strong enough to overcome it.

My issue with Jasper's arc is I feel he was already overcoming it. Then all of a sudden he takes a chip off screen because no wait, it's actually still so bad for him he would rather join this AI that was willing to immediately have Raven kill herself once she wasn't useful any more, willing to use Monty's mom as a weapon to the point Monty had to shoot her to stop her, etc.

I can see why the showrunners or network execs, or whoever decided to change it did, but I personally think it would have been a stronger finale overall and a more coherent arc for Jasper if they kept it. It will be really interesting to see how they handle his character next year.

Not to say him living makes the finale bad or anything, and it's nice to see the group end on a happier note for once. Happy as it can be with a the guilt these formerly chipped people are being crushed with.
The only problem is that Jasper breaking and finally taking the chip was all off screen so him committing suicide would be equally unearned, other than the shock value of it happening. You need to show both for them to work properly. Otherwise you just end up with Pike, or any of the other characters that conveniently changed their behaviour for the plot's sake then justified all that off screen stuff in the course of one line.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I thoroughly support INH5's evisceration of season 3 (and some elements of S2).

What's sad is I'm totally in board for whatever we're gonna get for S4.

The 100 is a reference to the number of times the show will prioritize plot over character.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Well maybe. But what they had could've worked if they actually put in the work of getting those characters there in S3. Didn't really feel like they did so it's just another year of plot over character style character assassinations.

For instance, a friend of mine actually met Bob Morley and even he was confused with what he had to do this season and just had to do the best he could to have it make sense when he was on scene. Like yeah, even the actors are kinda not digging it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

As yes I was hoping to hear your thoughts on Jasper this season.

Basically a textbook case of character assassination. At least with Finn in S2 they at least something decent out of it and it made more sense. This season felt was way worse about it with most everyone. Jasper is just icing on the cake.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

INH5 posted:

The question I keep asking myself is, "what happened to this show?" You can blame some issues on Behind the Scenes messiness like Alycia Debnam-Carey only being available for a few episodes and backstage drama resulting in Lincoln getting killed off early, but the problems run deeper than that. Looking at IMDB, there were some significant shake-ups in the staff going into Season 3. Bruce Miller was co-executive producer for the entirety of the first 2 seasons, and Lina Patel was a staff writer for the entirety of Season 2, but they both left after Season 2. But on the other hand, it is clear that these problems didn't suddenly pop into existence at the start of Season 3. Finn in Season 2 had similar characterization problems to Bellamy and other characters in Season 3, though they weren't quite as bad, and I'd argue that the Mount Weather parts of the S2 finale are as poorly plotted as any S3 episode, in addition to the aforementioned tonal issues. We'll probably only find out exactly what happened long after the series finale airs.
At the end of the day the show is all Rothenberg's. If people leave, it shouldn't entirely matter and I really doubt a co-EP and staff writer have as much pull as their titles might mean. A staff writer is grunt work anyway and a co-EP is just a fancy title. I mean JGM has co-EP this year (for one season and he's out to do Xena) but that probably just meant his agent negotiated him a better title. That guy has a bunch of range of stuff (Lost, Middleman, more, just check his IMDB) so it's not like he probably had that much of an influence on the show that made S3 better or worse or different unless he did but Rothenberg would probably never admit to it, even if it was the case.

That's also why I rarely point blame at the writers (usually the easiest excuse), who are just following the lead of their boss. It's the showrunner you should judge or criticise. They're in charge of the ship and if they don't like a script they will just send it back for another draft or hell, rewrite most of the thing themselves until they like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

No ones knows Earth is safe for them to come down because they sent the kids down to see if they would die. Then the kids get the bright idea to disconnect their bracelets tracking them. Of course if you're back up in space you're probably thinking kids are just succumbing to radiation poisoning or something.

• Locked thread