Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Shiiiiiiiit I forgot this started up again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Monicro posted:

Murphy has been my favorite character ever since he spent the first few episodes of season 2 tagging along making sarcastic quips about how much he tried to kill everybody

I still don't really buy his change of heart between seasons 1 and 2 but yeah he's pretty much my favorite now too. Octavia, warrior princess comes pretty close though.

Aphrodite posted:

Wow. I looked up the stuff with Steve Talley (Wick) when I saw the posts, and drat.

Just tons of racist, sexist, homophobic etc. tweets. You have to be pretty dumb to put that on Twitter when you're on TV. Or in general, but especially on TV.

Ick. Is he written off for good?

The Iron Rose posted:

Oh gently caress me I just realized Clarke is literally slaying pussy.

Oh my god

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 26, 2016

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Noooo Lincoln you're way too hot to die

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Holy gently caress how is this show so good

DarkCrawler posted:

Kane continues to be the best person in the show in so many ways.

His character progression really has been my favorite so far, just how he got to where he is as such an empathic and capable leader from all the poo poo he started off with, that I'm just dreading the catch 22 they'll eventually have to face him with because no one on this show is safe from making decisions where there's no easy out.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 5, 2016

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

DarkCrawler posted:

He was always empathetic and capable, it's just that in the Ark empathy means death and capable means calculating the odds to survive.

Definitely, as an audience we were just intentionally placed in media res to the whole death of the Ark storyline to see the worst qualities of Kane without the context of how he got there. Plus, it was a great early "villain" reversal they pulled off.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Severe lack of Murphy this episode :(

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Kicking the ice nation rep off the tower was pretty badass (excellent use of the tower imo) but yeah, I agree about Lexa generally.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, Octavia spent the first 16 years of her life knowing only two people and o e of them was executed. Then she spent a year or two in the Skybox barely interacting with anyone until she was dropped to the ground to die. Now the people who killed her mother and whose rules forced her to live under the floor and go to jail are in charge.

Meanwhile a culture that values a person based on strength and character is very appealing to her. Indra, in her own way, has shown more faith and affection for Octavia than anyone other than Bellamy and her mother. And even her mother didn't seem that loving.

Not only that, but Bellamy basically did everything wrong for the right reason (in his head) to protect Octavia in season 1 and kept driving a wedge with the only person she's ever implicitly trusted. Then the arkers capture and torture the first person who connects with her on more than a superficial level. Everything in season 1 pretty much serves to alienate Octavia from the 100 apart from maybe Jasper and Monty, and even that gets cut off in season 2. And it's not like she magically became Xena Warrior Princess overnight, it was a pretty arduous journey to gain the respect of Indra when she was desperately trying to find and save Lincoln, and it's pretty understandable that she'd be upset with Lincoln for basically following the opposite development she'd been experiencing in herself while fighting so hard for him. If anything Octavia has had the most organic growth to the character she currently is aside from Kane.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 7, 2016

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Or it could be the center of a polish deli

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

hollylolly posted:

I knew Pike was going to become Chancellor. :argh: Bellamy is letting his emotions for his dead girlfriend and trusted earth skills teacher sway him and I'm not a fan of this character twist.

Which, according to the preview, he's going to regret but not before they slaughter Treekru's army. :argh:

Everything at Polis was awesome. :black101:

Yeah I just feel so much more invested in the grounder drama and stories than everyone at Arkadia being idiots.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

They really mucked this up on the Gina angle. If it had a little more time to grow organically it wouldn't feel so out of left field. Jasper's a real dick right now but we at least saw his whole journey with Maya and how he got here, and his reactions are totally believable from a teen boy who's had the weight of the world on his shoulders only for it to collapse on him.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I can't tell if y'all are serious but he has some really good character insights and god forbid we discuss things in a discussion forum

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

I know several posters have compared this season to the Vampire Diaries' third season, and though that could be very true

TVD was an excellently plotted show with surprisingly capable protagonists and for the first two seasons subverted expectations of what was originally set up as Twilight: the show. Then the plots started running out of steam and the show got a supervillain that got so integrated into the main cast that he basically overshadowed any development going on outside of his plot lines. Then the show fell head first into endless reconfigurations of the main love triangle that was used to be in the background but never the main focus. The 100 is NOWHERE close to the drop of quality that TVD suffered from.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Sober posted:

In that case, poor Monty, when his mom is offered up to the grounders :lol:

At least Miller is on the right team.

I'm shipping Miller/Lincoln

Mincoln?

Snak posted:

Somewhat related, I am a bit annoyed how much they are just doing the Gaius Baltar thing, with her standing there during conversations. I hope that it feels less like that now that more characters will presumably be able to see her. Making a true believer out of Raven was pretty cool. I figure that the technology to transport someone to the City of Light requires total sensory synthesis, so it makes perfect sense that it could simply block pain as well.

Did anyone else catch an odd resemblance between Allie and Raven? Not saying there's any kind of potential generational connection there, but there's some physical similarities and then an abrupt contrast between Allie's confidence/poise/strength vs Raven's current emotional and physical rock bottom that she's hit.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 19, 2016

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

It's kind of hilarious how quickly Arkadia turned into a less rational, more aggressive form of Mount Weather but with none of the technology or the ability to manipulate outside factions to actually defend itself. Plus they're all going to be turned into pod people soon, thanks cult leader Jaha.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

They were also up on the Arc for four generations, meaning they all grew up removed any sense of Earth as a place. They probably had history classes on it or something, but it's still in large part like examining ancient history for them. Earth as it is now, as they know it, is how the grounders refer to it.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Spergatory posted:

Today, on 'things I can't believe I didn't notice sooner'; I always figured they were smashing the zeroes together in the logo because it looks cool--which, you know, it does-- but as it turns out, there might be more to it. When you smoosh two zeroes together, it just so happens to form a certain sacred symbol...

ALIE has been with us from the very beginning. :tinfoil:

wooooooahh

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

TyrantWD posted:

The season will likely end with ALIE almost killing everyone. She probably has a mass-extermination + simultaneous transfer to the City of Light planned, because its really inefficient having Jaha convert people one at a time. Clarke will put an end to the AI after 75% of the grounders and Ark people die, and whoever remains from the various factions will likely all come together and live in peace - but Kane will be dead and won't get to see his dream come true.

If the show continues beyond this season, I could see the Ark people being forced to leave and go west/south outside of Lexa's territory where they run into some small high-tech societies living in some ruins and we begin the conflict-peace-conflict thing all over again.

Clarke will literally be the commander of Death though if she somehow is able to take control over the City of Light instead of destroying it

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

VagueRant posted:

Alycia Debnam-Carey (Lexa) stepped up her acting game in that one scene with Titus, I thought. She definitely works better with actual emotion, because her attempts at stoicism always came off as bored to me.

Totally agree. I wouldn't say she's an bad actress, just that the role demanded a kind of stoic gravitas that she couldn't quite pull off, but when she's actually allowed to show emotion she pulls it off. Good episode guys, looking forward to the war of the AIs!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Rocksicles posted:

Clarke isn't a Nightblood, i'm assuming it's part and parcel of being the the Commander. Nano blood and the Implant.

She ingested some of the nightblood from the azgeda queen's bodyguard lady, though who knows if it's possible to transfer in that way.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Clarke having to work with Murphy is going to be entertaining. They haven't really been paired together since early season 1 right?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Monicro posted:

Okay I think I have formulated My Opinion (as a bisexual dude) on the controversy, which I am announcing as such so everyone can skip over it if they like:

Now firstly, I do think some of the people in this thread need to step back a bit. It's not frustrating to LGBT people because ~lolshipping~ (though I'm sure to many people that is a factor), it's a frustrating trope to keep seeing (and it IS pretty common) because setting aside creative vision and all that people just simply wanna see some characters in the same type of relationships as theirs be happy sometimes without it having to end tragically, like what happens with straight relationships in, yknow, almost every work of fiction. The 100 was regarded really well in LGBT circles for obvious reasons (queer characters in positions of power, a bi lead etc), so I think it's very understandable to feel a bit betrayed by the show especially due to it happening 1 scene after Clarke and Lexa consummated their relationship, even if just due to abject frustration at seeing the trope come up yet again.

That being said, considering it's this show and the circumstances around it I do think I ultimately disagree with the hate, while, yet again, it's understandable. Their hand was forced in terms of having to end their relationship obviously, and considering it's The Goddamn 100 I think killing her was basically their only real option. I think it makes a weird situation for a writer to be in honestly (like many storytelling tropes), obviously nobody wants to use tropes that are not only overused but are also harmful to marginalized people, but if your ~Creative Vision~ requires X character to die (especially in a show like this one) then :shrug:

Speaking as a gay man, yeah it is a rather common trope but I don't feel particularly betrayed by it in this scenario. Like someone else said, with more representation, we're gonna get more gay people in more roles. Some of them will be heroes, villains, and martyrs, and specifically with the 100 being so entrenched in grimness and the consequences of actions, death is just a regular part of life on the surface. There's still plenty of representation in the show, it's not like they killed off their sole lesbian, and the show should get props for having their lead character be openly bisexual without any sort of drama associated with it. Yes, the timing is a little suspect with the whole gay sex trope leading to death, but it was used for maximum effect here with the limitations of an actress's availability.

Unfortunately a large part of shipping and the horrific world of slash fiction is entrenched in the idea that gay relationships NEED to have happy endings, and that's why people are all up in arms because their otp or whatever just got destroyed.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Troposphere posted:

bisexuals are not lesbians

Funny how someone who's emphasizing empathy can't seem to comprehend that as part of the LGBT community we all pretty much face the same issues to varying extents and in fact bisexuals deal with a lot more poo poo than just plain homosexuals due to bi erasure and outright phobia from gays and lesbians but hey bisexuals aren't lesbians

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Do CW shows benefit from delaying important episodes into the sweeps period? Or are they so niche that this doesn't really matter

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah, it really could have stood to benefit from a flashback episode where we actually got to see Pike and farm station's hard choices, kind of like Lost's "The Other 48 Days." As of this point it's hard to have any kind of empathy for Pike's crew, which is kind of a huge failure in storytelling considering the crux of the Arkadia plot hinges on this. It's even hard to care about the destruction of Mt. Weather because we didn't get to know any of the people in there. They're just numbers in an increasingly large amount of deaths that the 100 likes to use to up the stakes.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Olivia is Octavia's feral twin sister that was forgotten in the floorboard compartment next to her that survived on scraps of food. DUN DUN DUN

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

But post rock doesn't have vocals.

A Silver Mt. Zion would beg to differ. Or uh, Sigur Ros, since they seem to be lumped in there quite frequently.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Showrunners and writers need to learn to stay the gently caress away from social media.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Make them fight for the role of token queer, the survivor gets plot immunity.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The main problem right now is Troposphere's tumblr/twitter demographic actually did turn out to be a sizeable number of the fanbase that the show not only catered to, but pandered directly to, which did end up turning into this shitstorm that's going on now. This is the kind of fanbase (CW, see Supernatural) that stalks married men and threatens their wives, and of course actively calls out for the cancellation of a show because their pet warrior princess gets offed. The lesson here should be, don't pander to crazies.

Still greatly enjoying this show even if the whole Arkadia plot is way too rushed and Pike is an unsympathetic, badly written villain and I just want it to be over so we can focus on the AI on AI battle that's being built up.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Guys please stop bullying creatives.

Oh.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Raven's supposedly laying low right now so the crazy ai cult doesn't find her, and Jaha and the Allie are kind of reeling in shock that one of their own had enough willpower to break free from their control. Their agendas aren't really crossing with Pike and the rebels yet, and there's really only so much screen time they have so they went with giving Lincoln at least a noble send-off.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

It starts off with like a young adults/ CW version of BSG that very quickly begins to subvert the usual storytelling tropes associated with the genre. There one big oh poo poo moment that happens in episode 3 that's an indication of things to come, and then it just keeps rolling with them. Bear with the teen romance plots in the first season, they're by far the worst part of the show.

Last night's episode was a breath of fresh air now that the Pike stuff is wrapping up. I knew Raven's actress was great, but she really got to show off her action chops with the AI plot stepping up. So glad the plot's moving at a fast clip again.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 9, 2016

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

It's also nice to have a villain in the show that isn't hypercompetent with a game-changer agenda. Ontari's basically just someone who was raised by an awful person and taught that her destiny is to rule, then finds out her destiny was stolen from her and the only person that can help her wants to survive as much as she does, but can only trust him with a short leash (heh). She's good at one thing, killing people, and not much else in the way of her toolkit, and will revert to it when no other choice is present.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Spergatory posted:

Also, I like the Jaha had to be the one to push ALIE into torturing Raven. Like torturing someone into complicity either did not occur to her or is outside of her parameters in some way. ALIE in general is surprisingly interesting for an evil AI character in that she seems to think that in some way she has humanity's best interests at heart. Maybe she thinks 'preserving' them in the City of Light and removing them from the real world is the ideal solution for both humans and the world.

Yeah this is really loving creepy. Remember that crusader Jaha basically already started off with little regard for the singular human life when he was obsessed with finding the City of Light and saving Arkadia, and with ALIE in his head he's actually feeding her techniques that she couldn't have done on her own programming to achieve their goals.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Dalael posted:

I don't think so. I think Jaha simply sees himself as the savior of the human race, and he believes that the city of Light is THE way to save humans. He's just a guy with a delusion of grandeur. Much like he ways in the other seasons, but this time he has an AI that pretty much validates his vision of himself.

Basically this. Jaha hallucinated himself into being the messiah for his people, and drat anyone who gets in his way. If anything, Jaha is the only person who is basically not a zombie after joining the City of Light, he's actively making decisions and influencing the AI that he's working with. There's actually a cool parallel I didn't see before with him and Ontari, they both fanatical people that believe fiercely in their destiny.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

We haven't been able to see her cool and calculating side because she was probably expecting the ascension to imbue it to her.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

I didn't have any problem with Octavia adopting the grounder identity.

Agreed with all these. Octavia's shifting sense of identity makes a lot of sense given her background, and she's really the only one to see everyone's bullshit from all sides. Probably why she's my favorite character. The only thing that doesn't make sense is that the 100 have only been on the ground for about half a year. All of these events have taken half a year to transpire. That's a lot of trauma.

Jesus that episode was intense.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 15, 2016

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Season 1 took place in 29 days, going from the 100 wiki

http://the100.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah I was under the assumption she was in on it and that Monty was always being tailed to find Kane's group. The reason Monty's mom is so distraught is because she made a choice to betray her son by saving him in the only way she knew how.

• Locked thread