Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Was the survivor like a thing in the previous seasons? I don't really remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm trying to wrap my head around the politics of this show and the more I think about it the more it doesn't make sense.

So Lexa is the leader of a coalition of 12 clans, like the tree crew and the others I don't remember the names of. It's more like a kingdom than a coalition but okay whatever.

Question: is Ice Nation a part of this coalition? I know they had a delegation in Polis at the summit but it could have just been out of diplomatic necessity not because they were a part of the coalition.

So if Ice Nation is a part of the coalition, why is their leader's son a prisoner? Isn't the whole point of a coalition to work together and taking another leader's son as prisoner kinda stains the whole thing. From the conversations we hear that Charles Vane is "banished." Okay, so again, if Ice Nation was a part of the coalition then yeah banishing a clan leader's son is a p Big Deal.

But if they're not a part of the coalition, then why the hell would it matter if Vane was banished or not? Like for example Snowden is officially considered a criminal here in the US but Russia is another country so they're just like whatever man. We saw that Vane had the freedom to just leave his prison and go do his Clark thing anyway, so I don't understand why he didn't just run for it and go home. His banishment means nothing if Ice Nation isn't a part of the coalition and his banishment makes no sense if they are a part of the coalition.

Like I get the idea that Ice Nation is another clan of people and apparently they enough people and power so that it was in 12 other clan's best interests to unite as a single front. If Ice Nation was so powerful then yeah why did Captain Vane willingly go back to Polis after being allowed to leave. I mean yeah there was the threat of war I guess?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So we're the GoT vibes the "give me 20 good men" part and even the duel looked like the Mountain vs the Viper.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Selfish Otter posted:

I got to thinking and it seems like the majority of the problems with the Bellamy/Skaikru part of the story could have been fixed with one change: swapping Echo in for Gina.

• Echo is an established character and they've already had their meet-cute (murdering people together is a meet-cute on The 100), so you don't have the problem of introducing a new character the audience has never seen but the characters Totally Care About.
  • She can just be shown hanging out with Bellamy at the start of the season and it's pretty easy to explain why she's there: she wanted to apologize for abandoning Bellamy at the mountain and she holds her people in contempt for wussing out of the battle with the Mountain Men and leaving it all to Skaikru (and as a bonus, it reinforces the idea that Lexa's control is fraying because the deal made her look weak). Now they just hang out because they enjoy each other's company.
  • Just to prep for twisting the knife later, anything involving Gina can be switched out for the Bellamy and Echo doing the whole long stares/shy eyes/sexual tension routine that Clarke and Lexa have going on. Like so:

Tumblr fills up with sappy GIFs and everyone is happy.
  • The whole plot where the Ice Nation destroys Mt. Weather can proceed exactly as it did, except now there's no reason for Bellamy not to trust Echo (it made sense to me, I figure it's pretty reasonable to trust someone after you save her life, but some people thought it was too easy). Echo's betrayal is elevated from "drat, that's cold" to full-on :vince:
  • Now Bellamy's willingness to fall in behind Pike makes a lot more sense. He was played for a chump by a grounder spy for months, and not just by anyone but by someone he nearly sacrificed himself to save (remember when she was going to be picked as a blood bag before Bellamy started banging to draw their attention?) and had real feelings for. It's still a bit of a leap, but now Pike's pitch goes from "can't trust those Grounders" to "even a Grounder who owed you her life and called you friend still betrayed you and murdered our people - no matter what they say now, they will never see us as anything but enemies", which is a lot more compelling. So now Echo isn't just someone Bellamy knows, she's someone they've all met who is now living proof of Grounder treachery. And, spoiler territory, one of the writers tweeted that Echo was split 50/50 between getting the guards out of Mt. Weather in preparation for the attack and getting Bellamy out to make sure he survived the attack so this would just turn that up to 11.

Well no because who the gently caress is Echo?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Has Jaha always talked with some kind of lisp (or was my audio quality just poo poo)?

Also I'm trying to remember, Jaha was able to see Allie before he took the blue pill right, on the count of him finding her in the house which presumably has some kind of hologram projection and such?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

WarLocke posted:

It's just so infuriating that someone decided to write Pike as literally loving autistic and unable to realize that 'the Grounders' aren't one big monolithic group, and then all the stupid poo poo we're dealing with comes from that spiraling out of control.

Hi I'd like to introduce you to a little something called the world we live in.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So those grounders have access to the acid fog stuff. Did Emerson give it to them? Is that whats going on?

Jesus Christ really man?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Err, something weird happened to your tweet that you quoted and spoiler tags aren't working.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What were the first people that met Becca called? Also Becka, really? Who he hell spells it like that? Rebecca. Becca. QED.

I think the back stuff she was injecting herself with was just some kind of binding agent for the chip to interface with her spine.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

100+ new posts over night I thought the episode leaked and you were all talking about it but no it's just a bunch of idiots in here.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

I mean not for nothing but the Polaris crew did a really poo poo job there. "Begin docking now or we will shoot you out of the sky". "Ok, just hold on a minute.". "...begin docking now or we will shoot you out of the sky.". "Yeah that's cool, just give us a minute.". "....no really, dock now or we are totally blowing you the hell up.". "Yeah I see where you are coming from, but also one more minute.". "Well, guess it's time to kill a bitch." "NO WAIT WE ARE TOTALLY GOING TO DOCK NOW!". It's like who cares if you think she has a humanity killing AI, you weren't going to resolve that in the next ten seconds anyway. And there is no way to convey that information that wouldn't terrify the rest of the stations either. They tell you to start docking, just start docking really slow. Buy time. They got stupid and preachy and they ate some missiles for it.

To be fair it seems like Polaris had plenty of time to dock and/or explain why they suddenly stopped dicking maneuvers without a word and they didn't so it looked super suspicious. They gave them time and last warnings to begin docking and they didn't respond until the time was over. Boom.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is Tumblr like some kind of haven or meeting place for lesbians? Like serious question. One of my friends, a lesbian, mentioned that when she was first realizing she liked women that she'd get on tumblr and start chatting with people for support and such. Like I didn't think much of it because I only know of tumblr as an easy blogging platform from back in the day when tech nerds still used it, now in my mind it's just a bunch of people with blogs that basically amount to fwd: fwd: re: fwd: you've got to see this! types and a ton of poo poo That Didn't Happen. Do people actually use tumblr as a legit communication platform.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

But post rock doesn't have vocals.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Write no more gay characters problem solved. No but seriously I read some of those tweets in those links about TWD and people literally expect gay characters to not die. Like that's a really character restriction to write to.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Robutt posted:

I would say the biggest problem with the season so far is the one-note, unsympathetic villains. Pike and now this ice nation night blood are introduced as the villain and not much more, it would have been really helpful to have that farm station flashback episode suggested earlier in the thread.

Looking back on it, what made season 2 so compelling was the character work that went into Dante, Cage and Mount Weather in general. Personally I ultimately did find them less sympathetic but all that character work made everything mean more and the whole situation much more tragic.

I see Pike portrayed as an out of touch leader who seriously believes that grounders are a problem and is trying to protect his people within the rules that he's known his entire life: the exodus charter, where punishment by death was a necessity to have enough food/oxygen for everyone else. I don't think he's been ever shown as a power hungry tyrant or corrupt or anything, he's just enforcing the rules. The execution scene even went out of the way to have him say that even though he can't free the grounder prisoners (because they are prisoners of war, and they are currently at war) he'd take care of them until a later time when the war is over and they can be handed off or whatever.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I agree I think there are too many different story lines right now. It really needs to be connected together very soon.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Liked the episode much better than the last cause of them starting to converge the different plots. I thought the doctor mom lady was going to do a fake-out and spit the chip out and let Raven die because yes they're friends but is one life really worth saving if it means effectively killing everyone else?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

How did Jaha get to be a chancellor, given that he is the most easily fooled moron in the history of humanity.

It's called reality.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Jasper's been an awful and useless character ever since his ~girlfriend~ died.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

hollylolly posted:

I think I'm sadder over Sinclair than I was Lincoln. :smith:

Yeah but are you outraged over it?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Look I'm a bitcoin economist and I can tell you that this is is a good thing because it can only go up Up UP.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

These people are really awful at weighing decisions. Like Abby was able to send her daughter to the ground not knowing that she might even survive the trip down or for too long, but then given the choice of chipping herself or watching Raven die she chose to chip herself. The problem I'm having is Abby knew full well what the chip does and she knew that her being chipped would open the gateway to literally every single person she ever knew being chipped as well because she was the only one stopping it from happening. So she decides that Raven's life was worthy subjecting all of Arcadia to the same enslavement that Raven was in.

How does that even make sense at all?

And now Kane does the same thing. How much of the chip did he know about? Did he know about Alie 2.0 or where Clark is or that her plan was to find Luna and activate Alie 2.0? Because if he did then he's even worse than Abby for making the decision to save her because now he's literally ruined all of humanity once he tells Alie 1.0 where Clark is going.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

jfood posted:

People have an aversion to dying.

Kane didn't care about himself dying. He took the chip because Abby was going to die. In doing so he gave Allie 1.0 all the information he had about Clark and what she was up to, which could lead to the death of humanity. All because he wanted to save Abby.

Abby did the same did too, but with Raven. Abby wasn't in danger. She wasn't going to die. But Raven was and she made the decision that Raven's life was worth subjecting all of Arcadia to Allie 1.0.

These people are stupid.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So Octavia went from living under the floor boards to learning how to fight and go toe to toe with people who've grown up fighting their entire lives, including all the muscle gaining and endurance training associated with that, in 6 months?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

"We gave her a choice, she said no."

Jesus Christ.

I'm really glad the Luna storyline ended like it did though because her taking the AI and having an AI vs AI battle would literally have been too much deus ex machina. Also it shows she's actually sticking to her principals of how there's always another way or something. I mean if you think about it the whole show has been about people doing horrible things to survive and Luna's different in the sense that she not only thinks there's a different way but also believes it by saying gently caress off to the AI and sticking to it.

By the way I noticed when Luna was grieving over the guy she murdered that Alie was still there. The only other people in that room were Jasper and the little girl. I don't think Jasper was chipped but I could see the little girl being chipped and just told to act scared. Which means other people on board would be chipped as well.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Where are these leaked screenshots? I haven't seen them.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

hope and vaseline posted:

It's a pretty interesting dichotomy though that the AI that wants to enslave people has to be accepted willingly and the AI that wants to save people can be forced on others. It fits into Clarke's narrative that she will do whatever she can to save the people that matters to her, consequences be damned. Also why are we spoilering speculation?

To be fair we know that Alie 1.0 needs to be accepted because Alie told us. We don't know anything about Alie 2.0. It could require acceptance as well for all we know. Or maybe Alie 1.0 is just wrong and is just repeating what her programming does and in reality it doesn't matter if it's willingly accepted or not.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I didn't like this episode that much. Part of it was cause I was completely expecting them to do the whole stupid

"take the chip"
"NO"
"ok then I'm going to hurt/kill someone you know"
"OK ILL TAKE THE CHIP"

thing. I mean they've done it twice or more now that I wouldn't be surprised and the episode presented two arcs where it was possible. I'm fully expecting Monty to give in next week because this show has a great track record of making people do really stupid things for ~love~ despite them knowing each other for all of 3 days.

Also it felt like nothing happened. It's the episode before the season finale and they're still setting things up? That means we're going to get 15 minutes of filler next week, a 15 minute climax that probably answers nothing and then a 15 minute setup for next season. God damnit.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

seaborgium posted:

It's what, 15, 20 floors? Climbing straight up that far will wipe you out, not to mention climbing means not having a metal cage to protect them from someone just opening a door above them and shooting them.

Well the alternative and what they actually did was send two guys up to the queen's chamber without knowing how many people were even up there or even considering that maybe there's a group of people up where with guns/bows pointed right at the door waiting for them to open.

It's dumb but the better choice would have been to climb the stairs with the entire group.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Zebulon posted:

I'm curious as to why everyone seems to be assuming ALIE is even telling the truth at the end. It's not like they've been on the ground for very long. Wouldn't they have noticed the world's remaining reactors, stockpiles, etc were going to poo poo and leaking if it was happening? It's not as if modern reactor designs DO that anyways. Even if the reaction goes out of control it just ends up shutting down the reactor in the very process of trying to go critical. Given everything else ALIE was learning from Jaha and the others, why wouldn't she have learned how to lie? Especially to stall and buy time to finish the upgrade that would let her escape the kill switch.

Plus "second nuclear armageddon" seems pretty well beyond the scope of what the Arkadians and Grounders can realistically solve. So the whole "6 months until everyone is dead" thing would set a really firm date on the end of the series because how the hell would they even have a hope of fixing something on the scale ALIE suggests?

Yeah, that took me by surprise. They weren't shy about showing any part of it.

But it does though? For radioactive fuel is going to keep reacting/burning for loving ever. The power plants being shut down or disabled in some way means that eventually the cooling mechanism keeping the rods from overheating is gonna stop at some point and then things go bad.

No what bothered me the most was the heart pumping thing. I mean your heart beats something like 50-80 times a second. There's no way you're going to keep that up. I guess you could say they were going for volume by thing to pump more blood through but then that's also kind of limited by her own breathing since she still needs to oxygenate the blood before sending it over clarks way.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I feel like they changed it yeah. There were a few instances where I heard what they said and then read it and it made sense. I could have probably understood it without reading it if they maybe spoke a bit slower or if I was more exposed to it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

What is even their plan here? Hole up in the derelict remains and hope the grounders die before they realize what is up?

They literally said the plan.

Plan A is to save everybody. There is no Plan A yet.

Plan B is to repair the Ark so that at least they'll be safe from the coming meltdown radiation if they don't figure out a Plan A.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

It was a stupid decision because they are part of a coalition now, supposedly working together to benefit all. Sure they hate each other, but that doesn't change the fact that there are rules and "laws." We don't know if slaves are legal, probably not.

They should have absolutely gone back with the water generator and then go plead their case to King Charles Vane. This is even worse by the fact that the coalition is extremely rocky right now, held together by a secret no grounder outside of 2 (the king and his … bodyguard?) knows about, one that no other grounder will even believe. The deal that they made was "you keep us alive, and we'll try to figure out how to fix this, otherwise you can kill us now and you're going to die a horrible death in 6 months."

How do you think the other 12 tribes are going to react hearing that these troublesome space people blew up one of their enclaves? They've already got no reason to honor the deal save their king telling them to. Now they're definitely going to rebel. Now they've got no truce/time to fix things, and pretty soon some of the grounders near the reactors will die horrible deaths, and then they're going to see these cozy space people that in their minds has caused nothing but trouble, and maybe, just maybe, they're going to realize this is mountain men part 2.

I'm guessing the lead up to the mid season finale is going to be constant war drums and saber rattling, followed by a cliffhanger battle.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I can't believe they just blew up the Ark just like that.

Also I'm not sure I like whatever is going on with Raven/Abby and their brain implants. It's a bit silly to think about, and it's even sillier the way Abby is acting.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

considering they are in Europe).

Uhh what?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've only read summaries for season three, but does it have a kind of Invasion of the Body Snatchers plot where everyone is under some kind of control or influence?

Season 3

quote:

Because I really dislike that plot. That and "everyone gets sick except one guy who has to find a cure" are the two stock plots that I tend to find least interesting. :(

Season 4

:(

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Clarks mother is the worse.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I must say that only a couple of episodes in, I think Murphy (and possibly Jasper) has been set up to have the most interesting story arc. I thought Bellamy had a pretty good story arc in the first couple of seasons, but now he seems to have reached the end of it (i.e. the "whatever the hell we want" guy > leader who inspires people > accepted back into the Ark as Kane's confidant) there's not really anywhere left for him to go.

Out of idle curiosity, I wonder if the series will end with Clarke and Bellamy hooking up, because the one thing I know from the books (which I haven't read myself, but my younger sister is a fan) is that Clarke is Bellamy's girlfriend and the series ends with him asking her to marry him. The TV show being so radically different, if they try going that direction three or four years in (is season five the last season?) it'll probably end up feeling a bit forced.

Edit: Isaiah Washington's soul patch is mad distracting every time I see it. :v:

Weren't they a thing for a while? I thought I remembered something like that but I dunno. They probably won't make her end up with a guy though, I could see people literally rioting outside the station's office.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I hope that Clark doesn't budge and try to save the 3? people they left outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So the season finale is next week?

Anyway this last episode:

- I really like what they did with Octavia. I think she would have made a good leader or at least have a good shot at it because she seemed to understand that you need to make hard calls sometimes even if it means murdering "your" people. Was a nice touch to show her almost crying to herself on several occasions. Plus she absolutely made the call to do it without wavering back and forth like Clark or the rest of them would do. Jesus she was about to murder all 364 or whatever people in that room :stare:.

- I'm glad Jaha found his senses and realized he was being dumb, because he was being dumb.

- I'm really sick of the Emory story line. She's really boring and does she even have a story other than "mutant grounder, friend of John?"

But the whole plot about launching into space was really dumb. Actually it might be the most stupid thing that they've ever said or done on the show. How did they know the robot was operational? How did they know the Ark is still operational? There's not enough fuel in there right now but hey they've got five years to decide on a plan? This is dumb this was really dumb.

• Locked thread