Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I hope they bring in that space colony they've name dropped a few times this season.

If Season 2 was vampires and zombies, and Season 4 is a biblical apocalypse, then I want Season 5 to be space aliens. You know, allegorically.

Technically, they already had allegorical space aliens back in Season 1. There were just, you know, the protagonists.

But yes, I would not be surprised at all if Raven encounters the lost space colony finally returning to Earth orbit when she goes into space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Out of idle curiosity, I wonder if the series will end with Clarke and Bellamy hooking up, because the one thing I know from the books (which I haven't read myself, but my younger sister is a fan) is that Clarke is Bellamy's girlfriend and the series ends with him asking her to marry him. The TV show being so radically different, if they try going that direction three or four years in (is season five the last season?) it'll probably end up feeling a bit forced.

The show has pretty much nothing in common with the books besides the title, the basic premise, some character names, and some of the events of the first episode. Just to give one example: in the books there is no distinction between the Mountain Men and the Grounders. The Earthborn, as they're called in the books, lived in Mount Weather for 240 years (the books take place 300 years after the nuclear war, not 97) until the Earth became survivable again and then they left and started living on the surface again, and from then on only used Mount Weather for storage and stuff.

So trying to use the books' storyline to predict the future of the show's storyline is pointless. It wouldn't surprise me if Kass Morgan and the writers of the show haven't had any contact at all since the pilot was shot.

On the subject of Bellamy/Clarke in general, alleged screenshots of the shooting scripts of Season 1 episodes have been passed around on Twitter, and some of them include directions and cut lines that indicate the writers may have, at one point, considered setting up something between them. But even assuming that those screenshots are legitimate, I don't think they mean much now. We know from other sources that a lot of plans that the writers had in Season 1 ended up being abandoned, including potential romances (Chelsey Reist said in an interview that she shot a scene for 1x13 where Harper kissed Jasper, but it got cut from the final episode). And honestly, after 4 seasons without even any explicit on-screen hints of a romance, like you I would find it forced.

The Lexa issue and the almost certain desire on the part of the writers to avoid another shitstorm adds even more reasons for the writers to avoid going down that path, like Boris Galerkin says. So my money is on it not happening.

We don't know at this point whether Season 5 will be the last season, but the show's ratings aren't very good and there's evidence that it only got a Season 5 to give it enough episodes for syndication, so it seems likely. But then again, the streaming numbers, which aren't publicly available, might be good enough to make up for the lackluster ratings, so who knows.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 4, 2017

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

But the whole plot about launching into space was really dumb. Actually it might be the most stupid thing that they've ever said or done on the show. How did they know the robot was operational? How did they know the Ark is still operational? There's not enough fuel in there right now but hey they've got five years to decide on a plan? This is dumb this was really dumb.

Well, maybe there are more missiles than the one that Jaha used to get down.

But I agree that this is really dumb. If the Go-Sci ring had an algae farm on it the whole time, why did Jaha spend the first 2 episodes of Season 2 just sitting around and then rushing to ride a missile down to Earth instead of busting his rear end trying to get the farm running again so that he could get more breathing air? Even if Jaha hadn't felt like living at the time, why didn't Sinclair bring it up when he said that Jaha would only have enough air for a week? How is the Go-Sci ring going to get power to run the farms and such when it doesn't have any solar panels?

And since when can the rocket carry 8 people? Didn't Raven specifically say earlier that it only had 2 seats? "I drive, you cook?"

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Astroman posted:

OTOH it's kinda lame that even the Grounders are letting a mentally wounded child dictate the future of humanity, someone who has a chip on her shoulder about her "unfair" treatment as a child which was dictated by the laws and traditions of her society (which are no less valid or more fair than those of the Grounders).

Considering that the Grounders have traditionally been led by a child who had been forced to kill all of his or her friends and then had an AI chip implanted in their neck, this probably isn't anything new for them.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
As someone who has been pretty critical of the last 2 seasons, I have to say that this season finale was pretty cool. We had some good character moments, some nice action scenes, and it ends with a pretty good set up for future stories, even if it does feel a bit like the writers pressing the reset button because they ran out of ideas. For the first time in a long time, I'm actually kind of looking forward to the next episode of this show.

If nothing else, at least we no longer have to pretend that all of these actors in their 20s and 30s are teenagers.

Though I couldn't help but roll my eyes at how they were treating the GoSci ring air as if it wasn't breathable at all, when it really should have been, considering that Jaha was able to breathe it right up until the moment he left. Sure, he was hallucinating and possibly brain-damaged, but he didn't fall unconscious within seconds.

I was also annoyed by how, after they had some nice zero-g effects in the spaceship, after they got onboard the ring the show went back to its old habits of half the time forgetting that a ring-shaped space station actually has to, you know, spin to generate artificial gravity. All they had to do was toss in a line about how they activated the "emergency rotation thrusters" to give them gravity so that they can move around the ring easier, and then made the window view (which was computer generated anyway) spin a bit.

Vermain posted:

Well, it's less, "How did she survive the radiation?" (which was set up in advance with the nightblood) and more, "How did she survive on an Earth stripped completely and totally barren of all plant and animal life for 5 years?"

My fanwank for this is that ALIE had some kind of farm on the island. Her mutant butler had to eat something, and presumably the food would also be traded to Emori and other mutant tech scavengers, seeing as how they lived in a desert. So Clarke got the seeds and stuff from there, and even if she couldn't farm outside during the early years she could still gather up a bunch of soil from outside and then set up an indoor farm, a la Matt Damon in The Martian. The solar array would give her plenty of power, and even if she didn't have proper growlights, I'm sure that a bunch of ordinary light bulbs tied together would work okay.

But yeah, it would have been nice to address this in dialogue. And they already had Clarke giving a mini-expo dump at the end, so you'd think it would have been easy to toss in a line or two about just how she had survived all this time.

Maybe we'll get some flashbacks next season.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 25, 2017

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

esperterra posted:

They've already confirmed we'll be getting flashbacks for the 3 groups.

That's good. There are some really interesting potential stories there.

Also, further reflecting on the finale, it's kind of hilarious how they've set things up so that they can effortlessly write out literally any character except the lead and a character who was only introduced in this episode. All they have to do is write in a line about how the character had an accident or got cancer or something and died offscreen sometime during the 6 year time skip. I'm willing to bet that Isaiah Washington wasn't the only actor who they have had problems with in contract negotiations. That and/or they're really bitter over what happened when ACD got cast on FtWD, and want to make drat sure that it won't happen again this time.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

TMMadman posted:

Since Kane talked Jaha out of starting a war in the bunker, I'm guessing Kane stays.

I will agree that we don't know what is going to happen to Jaha.

It's been confirmed that Isaiah Washington will not be a regular in Season 5, so I think it's likely that one way or another Jaha will not be alive by the time that the bunker gets unburied.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

I cant get over "prymefyra". I mean, we were talking about a bunch of nuclear plants leaking, right? How the gently caress would that cause a gigantic wave of fire??? Radiation in this series is basically magic

Yeah, and if I recall correctly, there was also a mention of "pyroclastic flows" being part of the death wave. As in the things produced by a volcanic eruption. Like I said on Reddit one time, this show makes a lot more sense if you mentally replace every instance of the word "radiation" with something like "dark magic."

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'd like to hear the reasoning that they were able to go solo all the 106(?) years. Unlike the arkers, who had to combine space stations and things still went to poo poo.

The conversation that introduced them early in the season mentioned something about hypersleep, so maybe they spent the last century or so as human popsicles, save for maybe a few people who thawed out periodically to maintain the ship.

It'd be hilarious if a bunch of pre-apocalypse criminals popped out of the mining ship, asked Clarke what happened during the 110 years or so they've been asleep, and were simultaneously dumbfounded and horrified with what she told them.

----

On another note, rewatching the ending scene of S4, I noticed that Clarke's rifle has 2 magazines duct taped together, in such a way as to allow the person wielding the rifle to quickly spin them around and reload. That's not the kind of thing you would ever do with a hunting rifle. And Clarke's dialogue mentions having even more guns.

So who or what the hell did Clarke and her adopted nightblood expect to shoot? A gang of Mad Max-esque nightblood bandits? More mutant gorillas? That weird mutant guy we were shown in 2x01 that was never mentioned again?

INH5 fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 31, 2017

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Also Clarke was beaming a radio message into space every day, and the prison ship could have easily homed in on that. I highly doubt anyone else was making any broadcasts from the Earth's surface.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I find it really implausible that there are no other surviving people out there in the entire world.

Regardless of whether or not anyone else survived Primefaya (and we can't really answer that question without knowing exactly where the inhabitable 4% of Earth's surface is), the Ark didn't pick up any radio transmissions from Earth for 97 years, so it seems highly unlikely that anyone besides Clarke would suddenly start broadcasting now. Or at least broadcasting with enough power to reach orbital altitudes.

misguided rage posted:

Wasn't there a shot this season of some lady getting nuclear toasted in Egypt? So there was at least one person there briefly!

I'd really like to know what was up with that, if they do go with the idea that the Grounders were only able to survive on the surface because of something Becca did. When I first saw that episode, I thought that the show was still going with the natural selection idea from Season 2, in which case it made perfect sense that people elsewhere would have evolved to survive too. But there have been enough hints that the Grounders are descended from Second Dawn people who survived in Cadogan's doomsday bunker before meeting Becca that I've started to wonder.

I mean, even if some people did decide to sail to the Old World for some reason, why would they go to Egypt of all places? Three entirely abandoned continents, and they decide to go live in a desert?

Not to mention other questions like: Why don't the Grounders remember how their ancestors survived? How are there so drat many of them after just 97 years, especially if they didn't have access to modern medicine for most of that time? How colossally mismanaged does a cult have to be to schism into 12 warring factions in less than a century, and how did a cult that badly run manage to secretly build such a large bunker in the first place?

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Rhyno posted:

There's probably bunkers all over the world but they can't handle the radiation and they have no Arkers (that we know of) to steal bone marrow from.

How many Ark stations are unaccounted for?

IF Mount Weather is anything to go by, if other bunkers didn't have any Grounders to steal blood from, they'd be dead by now.

As for Ark stations, I believe that Alpha, Mecha, Factory, and Farm have all been accounted for, which leave 8 stations. But even if they managed to survive reentry and landing, unless they managed to stumble on another bunker or land in the 4% of Earth's surface that Praimfaya didn't kill, they're almost certainly dead now too.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 1, 2017

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Mount Weather only needed Grounders to go outside, they were fine inside so there could be plenty of jerks all over the globe.

From 2x06:

Dante Wallace to Jasper: After what happened to Maya I'm sure it won't come as a surprise to you to learn we're not entirely safe here. Mount Weather wasn't built to last this long. Over time trace amounts of radiation seep inside. The breach in the dorm is an extreme example. We have methods for dealing with this but frankly, those methods pale compared to what we saw with you and Maya.

The "methods" that Dante refers to are, of course, the Grounders in cages.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 1, 2017

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

But natural selection doesn't work like that. You don't "evolve" over the course of 97 years or approximately 3-4 generations (and I'm being really generous here).

Not necessarily. Evolution can work very fast if the selection pressure is strong enough. The Black Death had a permanent impact on European immune system genes even though it came and went within a century.

Now, I agree the Arkers evolving that fast doesn't make sense, because this level of selection pressure generally leaves a lot of dead bodies, and while we know that there were a lot of dead bodies on the ground ("The Grounders who couldn't survive in the radiation didn't..."), there's no mention of any mass die offs on the Ark. If there had been, it's hard to see how the Ark could have survived.

Not that any of this matters in terms of realism, because nothing could survive prolonged exposure to levels of radiation that can kill a human in minutes, so even if the Grounders could survive on the surface because of magic nightblood or whatever, all of the plants and other animals would be dead and you'd basically end up with Cormac McCarthy's The Road.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Sensenmann posted:

It's 300 years in the books anyways, why the writers insisted on making it 97 years for the series is beyond me.

The most likely explanation is that they had very different plans for the Grounders when they wrote the Pilot script (an early draft of the script that is available online strongly implies that the Grounders are descended from people who survived inside Mount Weather, like in the books) and they changed the timeline for unrelated reasons. Maybe they thought it was more plausible that the Ark would manage to survive for a century rather than 3.

On the other hand, the aforementioned early draft of the Pilot script said that the Ark had a founding population of 400 and a current population of just over 4000, after a strictly enforced one-child policy has been in place for at least 18 years. Those numbers aren't impossible, but they would require population growth rates that are in real life only found among groups that have both traditional agricultural lifestyles and access to modern medicine (like the Amish and the inhabitants of some developing countries), so they would be a lot more plausible with another century or two added to the timeline. So I have no idea.

Leaving that aside, the decisions they made after writing the Pilot are still pretty baffling. In particular, it's obvious that Trigedasleng is something they came up in between the first 2 seasons, as during Season 1 the Grounders always speak English even when there aren't any Sky People in earshot. Considering how expensive creating and implementing a conlang must be (you have to pay a linguist to create it, then teach it to the actors, then presumably have to shoot more takes due to actors screwing up the lines), it's kind of amazing that someone decided to create one for a show where it made perfect sense for everyone to speak English.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 3, 2017

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

They've said in season 2 that the original arkers were genetically engineered/modified to survive cosmic radiation in space and all their descendents have inherited these modifications. It's why the mountain vampires wanted their spinal fluids.

The show keeps flip-flopping on this. In the Season 2 premiere, Dante Wallace says that the Arkers evolved to survive space radiation and that's why they can survive on the ground, but then in 2x11 Clarke has a line about how the Arkers were genetically engineered but the Mountain Men weren't that comes out of nowhere and is never elaborated upon. Then in the first episode of Season 4, Raven says that Arkers can survive "yellow" radiation levels because they adapted to space conditions, but then in a later episode during a barely audible conversation between Abby and Jackson, Abby says something like "Nice of [Becca] to share [nightblood] with our ancestors on the Ark," and I'm really not sure if that line was supposed to be sarcastic or not.

It really feels like this is something that the writers have had a bunch of arguments about but have never come to an agreement on.

Regardless, one thing that is pretty weird in retrospect is that Season 4 never showed the Arkers as better able to resist radiation/black rain than Grounders, even though them being more resistant to radiation than the Grounders, for whatever reason, is behind the entire plot of Season 2.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 3, 2017

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I'm sure everybody on the ark who were not exclusive to someone hooked up and banged like rabbits up there.

Skaikru 2.0 consists of Monty, Harper, Murphy, Emori, Bellamy, Raven, and Echo. So yeah, I'm guessing that Bellamy formed some kind of threeway thing with Raven and Echo.

Which raises the question: are there any spare contraceptive implants on the GS ring? Because while Harper and Raven presumably already have them, it would be extremely inconvenient if Emori and/or Echo got pregnant.

Meanwhile, unless there are other, older nightblood survivors offscreen, Clarke presumably hasn't gotten any for 6 years. Poor girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
The bunker was directly under a skyscraper. It took hundreds of workers using modern equipment more than 8 months to clear the WTC rubble after 9/11.. Clarke doesn't have any powered earthmoving equipment and she apparently only has one other person who can help her, who is in her early teens at most. It is entirely believable that she wasn't able to dig the bunker out within 6 years.

Which seems like a major design oversight on Billy Cadogan's part, but whatever.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 9, 2017

• Locked thread