Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Spergatory posted:

The tumblr stance on JRoth is that he cast a diverse bunch of actors so he could reap himself plenty of progressive points and then kill off most of that diversity while giving most of the important plots to the white characters. Now, I don't necessarily agree with that stance. I don't think he's a cackling bigot beneath a veneer of fake progressivism or anything like that. I think it's far more likely that he's just a tone-deaf rear end in a top hat. Like that thing he said to Jarrod Joseph; that sounds like something my idiot relatives would say as a joke without realizing how hosed up it sounds. It's not that he doesn't want to be progressive, it's that he's kinda bad at it. Like, for example, not realizing how hosed up it was that, in his progressive and diverse show made in TYOOL 2013, the first main character who died was The Black One. Or not realizing how making a beat-for-beat recreation of one of the most pointless, reviled lesbian death scenes in television history might upset the lesbian fans he has worked so hard to court.

But the dude did oversee a lot of diverse casting, it's true, and it's cool as heck that the show is so awesomely feminist. So for me, he's kinda hit-and-miss on the progressive front. The rear end in a top hat part is the bigger issue. All signs point to the cast not liking him, fans not liking him, even the writers room seems to be low-key fed up with him. And, as someone else already said in this thread, this is a CW show, which lives and dies on whether or not it can build and keep a hardcore devout fanbase. If he's alienating that many people, maybe the show would be better off without him.

I guess we'll see how the ratings fare when the show comes back after the break.

Well that's absolutely fair enough. The tumblr conspiracy theory is total bullshit, but I can buy your take on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'll never forget Mt Weather :911:

All that sweet pre-war tech, lost forever.

At least they got the paintings out.

hope and vaseline posted:

Yeah, it really could have stood to benefit from a flashback episode where we actually got to see Pike and farm station's hard choices, kind of like Lost's "The Other 48 Days." As of this point it's hard to have any kind of empathy for Pike's crew, which is kind of a huge failure in storytelling considering the crux of the Arkadia plot hinges on this. It's even hard to care about the destruction of Mt. Weather because we didn't get to know any of the people in there. They're just numbers in an increasingly large amount of deaths that the 100 likes to use to up the stakes.

This would be absolutely fantastic. If they did it right, we could come put of it cheering Pike and totally agreeing with him (well probably not really, but you know what I mean).

Cardboard Box A posted:

If you haven't noticed, this is a CW show. Engaging with your horrible fanbase over twitter, tumblr, and whatever else spawned from twop is written into the contract.

I mean it's nowhere near as bad as the Supernatural fanbase. I'm sure they'll learn to deal.

I think the racist conspiracy theories are dumb, I think shippers threatening suicide are dumber, but yeah I'll admit pandering to a segment of the fanbase on purpose and then pulling the rug out from under them is dumbest. It'd be one thing if they just made their creative choices and fandom acted like idiots, but if the showrunner, writers, and producers were specifically reaching out to and pandering to demos on purpose knowing they were gonna piss them off...yeah. :rolleyes:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I think the contrast between the suicidal gnashing of teeth over the death of Lexa, Sexy Warrior Queen vs the lack thereof for Dumpy Lesbian Quasi-Doctor on TWD speaks volumes.

Granted, I'll give it that Rothenberg seemed to bring a lot of this on himself but I wonder where the call for TWD to go off the air is, and how come Kirkman, Nicotero, Hurd, etc aren't getting death threats.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

I was actually more annoyed at The Walking Dead than The 100 -- mostly because Merrit Weaver is a) awesome and b) quite a good actor.

I never thought that Debnam-Carey was particularly bad, but she's nowhere near Weaver's class.

She was loving killing it in that scene. Right when it was happening I was thinking, "wow this is such a great breakout moment for this charac--THUNK"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

There is nowhere near as much internet freakout over Denise as there was over Lexa, and most of the Denise stuff is "that one too, just like Lexa!" as a way to bolster the argument that Lexa's death was part of a conspiracy to perpetrate a trope or trick gays into watching tv and then kill them.

[notaspoiler]You're gonna be really pissed off too when you see the level of twitterverse outrage when Negan bashes Darryl or Glen's skull in, should that happen, vs what you're seeing with Denise.[/notaspoiler]

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Troposphere posted:

yeah that made me laugh. in what
world is this in anyway true, I wonder...

I honestly wouldn't have said anything if people didn't keep complaining that omg people aren't freaking out about Denise that just proves my point!!! checkmate!! so if you all want me to shut up about it maybe stop making terrible wrong posts?

"I'll stop talking about this if you will all stop being OBJECTIVELY WRONG and agree with me."

:rolleyes:

Really? Good luck with that.

The Iron Rose posted:

then you're an idiot, because that's not what people are saying.

If there were a proportional amount of LGBT characters in TV shows then killing them off wouldn't be a problem. There are not only not a proportional amount of LGBT characters in media, especially wrt lesbians, but we get killed off at significantly higher rates.

Basically what I'm saying is that we're criticizing "the black dude dies first" and y'all are bitching about it.

I'm curious as to what metric The 100 is failing in "proportional representation"? There seem to be a larger number of homosexual main, secondary, and guest characters on this show than on any other I've seen on the air today. Some people say 10% of the population is gay. Some conservatives say it's far less. What would be correct for a show like The 100 to be at a point where they could have gay characters without plot armor? 30% gay characters? 50%? The Post Apocalyptic L-Word?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Here we go again!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Troposphere posted:

the ratings last night were godawful, can't really blame that on basketball anymore

will be interesting to see what happens :munch:

You really hope this show is cancelled, don't you?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Troposphere posted:

yeah they renewed all their shows. if the backlash keeps up, the ratings stay as comically low as they have been and sponsors keep dropping out I wouldn't be surprised if next season was a short and final one

at least now we probably know what Isaiah Washington wrote a letter to the head of the network about. shooting one of the main black characters graphically execution style while he was chained up was super classy

Good luck with your quest to be the change you want to see in discrimination in tv by hoping evil shitlords get their comeuppance.

I for one enjoy this show and will continue to enjoy it. This season has been great so far.

Troposphere posted:

it was pretty tone deaf and gratuitous in the context of the current political climate especially considering the behind the scenes bullying Ricky Whittle went through...which he says he's going to completely bring to light soon now that he's off the show which should be enlightening

also protect poc characters is trending on Twitter right now so you can always go see people's viewpoints on it there

You mean the current climate where black people are killing other black people? :v:

So if we protect all the poc and lgbt characters from death, only white males can die? Or can white women die in tv shows too?

Perhaps if we have a solid next decade where only white people die on tv, then we can get a good start in reversing centuries of systematic racism in media. :rolleyes:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lincoln's death wasn't supposed to be pleasant, or noble, or fair. It was, in story, a horrible end that the good guys will want to avenge. It's supposed to make you hate Pike and everything he stands for--which, btw, is racism, ignorance, and hate.

Troposphere posted:

if you think people are saying only white men can die you are failing to grasp the point, congratulations

Well what are they saying, when they rail against the deaths of minority characters, and get histrionic over every single one, and try to postulate that it's part of an overarching systemic plan to hurt said minorities? What does the hastag "protect poc" mean if not "protect poc characters from death"?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yeah, I looked up Luna to see if she'd been shown before. I think her name was dropped, but she's never been seen. At first I thought she was Murphy/Jaha's friend with the boat, but looking at the show's wiki she has only been mentioned so far. Should be a pretty important character.

The one thing that confuses me though is if all the black bloods are part of a "class" together, and kill each other, how is the Ice Nation Nu Commander the same age as Lexa? If Luna was the only survivor of that "class" besides Lexa, and the next group were the Younglings that just got killed, how does the new Commander fit in all that? Was she just a black blood that lived way up north in Ice Nation and never came down for the Commander Deathmatch?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

VagueRant posted:

So uh just to talk about the actual episode instead of posting about posters posting about posts for a second...

Lincoln's execution honestly just confused me. Why bother bringing them outside if you're just going to shoot them in the head in front of six guards? Why couldn't they do that in that hallway? I mean, there's cleanup either way. I did think that outside of the overall downturn of the show and social media controversies, Lincoln's final lines were pretty classy and I genuinely felt for Octavia, before he made his inevitable sacrifice and after.

Also: Titus's death was pretty fuckin' rad.

But I think the show is in a bit of a nosedive right now. Despite the deaths, it feels like there are too many people in the cast and they're way too disparate. This feels like the first time we've seen Abby in months, and I have no idea where Raven, Jaha and Jasper are at. Then you've got Bellamy's characterisation being ALL OVER THE PLACE.

My other issue is that it just feels like the show drags in a lot of parts. It's really hard to put this into words, or explain quite why, that's the nature of the intangible "watchability" of a show. But it's unengaging and not...easy to watch I guess? Maybe it's because I've been bingewatching the show Banshee which for all it's problems you can just fly through episode after episode - there's a great pace and scenes lead into scenes, and it keeps you on the couch.

Whereas in The 100, there's just something about the way when Murphy and Clarke trundle into the "hole that leads out of Polis" set only to have Charles Vane turn up and deliver his "next time i see you we won't be friends" line with all the conviction and passion of a man ordering takeout, and Murphy visibly sags with the inevitability of their plotline and spells out "we're not leaving, are we?" - I'm just very aware that I'm sitting (bored) through a TV show, not looking through a window into another world.

sorry that was complete rambling nonsense, please resume complaining about twitter or whatever

I think the point was to execute Lincoln ( and yeah, he would have killed Kane too) in front of everyone. It was supposed to be a public execution to make a point.

You're right about the disparate elements. There are a lot of moving parts and the writers can't seem to manage them all. There's the plot of the Pike vs Kane in Arcadia, Clarke and Murphy's court intrigues in Bartertown (including Lexa, Ice Nation, etc and all the politics), Arcadia vs Grounders, the Team Octavia plot to act as go betweens, Jaha's City of Light Cult, and the whole overarching plot of AI vs AI from 80 years ago. As a result, whole episodes go by where we don't even see major characters and they don't touch on certain plotlines. Contrast this to a heavily serialized show like BSG, where there were sometimes A, B, and C plots but everything flowed much better.

If there's any criticism of Rothenberg to be made it's probably this. The writers need an editor. Or perhaps someone to manage them. Or, say, Run the Show...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

raditts posted:

I think the part about Lincoln's execution is a bit of a weird nitpick, and saying the show is in "a bit of a nosedive" is an overreaction, but you're right about the other parts. I think the weirdness is due to the expansion of the show's scale, where suddenly there's this whole other nation of grounders that we never heard of before that are also at odds with the grounders that we already know, and there's this whole other, bigger grounder HQ that everyone's suddenly hanging out at now instead of the one that we'd seen for the first two seasons, and then of course there's the whole City of Light / dueling AIs thing, and it feels like they didn't really plan ahead well to juggle all these plot threads. That said, I still think this season is a lot more interesting and compelling than season 2 and I hope they tie all the threads together well by the end of the season.

I have less a problem about the reveals because it's kinda cool how they keep expanding the world and our knowledge of it. Sort of like how it would be for the actual Arkers. At first we think the Grounders are a bunch of primitives living in forests and caves and there's like a 1000 of them and that's all there is. Then we find out about the Mountain Men, and other tribes. Then the Commanders, the Alliance, other towns, villages, trading posts. Then we find out there's a large Grounder city, a functional AI running an estate with drones, then we find out she ended the world, and there was ANOTHER AI--it's all organic and we are finding out as the Akers do. I like that part.

I think the "tie together" will occur when Clarke and her mother put 2+2 together, find out about the AIs, and how they ended the world and created the Grounders, and reveal to both Pike's crew and the Grounders they're all being played by computers that are no longer needed to run things and are more concerned with fighting each other and KILLING/UPLOADING ALL HUMANS than anything else.

Then everyone will make peace, Pike will be dead, and the Chinese will invade in the last 5 minutes of the episode. :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Spergatory posted:

Man, no matter what this show does, I loving love Clarke Griffin. :allears: She's like the only YA protagonist who I find completely believable in their role. If Clarke Griffin had been put in Katniss's place in The Hunger Games, that series would've been over in two books, and Clarke would've been president at the end.

She's a lot less annoying than Charlie from Revolution was, that's for sure. Somehow her arc just works really well.

After this season, I should do a rewatch to see how well all the characters progressed, and how well it all holds up over the 3 seasons and the in show time it was supposed to have covered.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

WarLocke posted:

So based on the previews from last week Jaha is going to force Abby to swallow an ALIE pill?

For some reason just that one quick flash really got under my skin. That's a pretty loving irredeemable thing to do.

TBF he's not exactly in full control of his faculties...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I love how Clarke ran in to Arcadia all breathless, ready to save the day.

:hist101:: "GUYS HOLY poo poo LET ME IN, I HAVE TO ADVANCE THE A PLOT!"

:supaburn:: "WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT CLARKE, THIS IS THE GODDAMN A PLOT AND YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW IT'S GOING ON!!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Xoidanor posted:

Well that, and, Jaha is crazy.

Yeah, let's not forget how crazy-prophet Jaha was BEFORE he met ALIE, when he went on walkabout from Camp Him with Murphy and the Redshirts. And how he didn't give a poo poo when the Redshirts ate it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Arkfall is indeed from Defiance, but I'd say it's pretty appropriate here since it's literally what happened. :colbert:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

VagueRant posted:

I felt like Eliza Taylor's (Clarke) acting was real disappointing, and I guess I have to blame the writing because she was loving amazing in season 2. Her freakouts at RavenALIE and with the "It's LEXA!" moment just rang real hollow for me.

Clarke has been kinda sidelined this season. Granted, in universe it was her own choice, because she walked away from her people and went to wander the Earth like Caine (not Kane). But yeah, she's been stuck in the B plot for awhile.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

TMMadman posted:

I saw like 16 new posts and was wondering what all the hubbub was about.

I can't say that I'm disappointed that it's about boobs.

Something even the ciswhite males and lesbians can agree about! :D

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Well let's say that that the premise is correct: that the show had a ton of people, huge segment of the viewers, watching because they were fans of Lexa and Lincoln. And let's say that killing them off caused all those fans to abandon the show as it was no longer worth watching for them.

What does this say about the future of tv? How can you ever kill off any character again without worrying that you'll lose half your viewers? And in the case of Lexa, where the actress was leaving of her own accord for other work, how do you address that?

Even if you "respectfully" have her die of a wasting disease in bed, or say she moved away to another kingdom or a farm to run around and play, you're still losing the reason why this huge segment are tuning in. And she wasn't even a main character. It means that any time you change even the supporting cast of a show you're playing Russian roulette and can lose half your viewers. Or you somehow only pick "safe" characters that nobody likes to kill, for example nobody cares that 50% of the main speaking Asian cast was killed when Monty shot his mom, and I'm sure there will be no cry of racism and destruction of minority roles when Pike is inevitably killed off. So that would be the only way you can kill a character, which dramatically lowers the stakes and makes every show a hugbox. It might as well be the Smurfs or something, where nobody ever dies.

I liked Sinclair, it was a shame that he died. I would hate if it Kane died. But I'd keep watching.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

n3wt posted:

They were sold one thing and got another - so they quit. Happens all the time on TV.
the one black dude of the main cast since season 1 is put in the naughty corner all season then shot in the head like a dog... the audience is going to feel a little bit cheated.

Troposphere posted:

the main character is a bisexual who is always miserable and everyone she loves dies because of her. that's not the best representation.

But Clarke isn't miserable because she's bisexual. Her sexuality is literally a non issue. Would it be more progressive if Abby gave her a hard time because she heard Clarke had a girlfriend?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

Edit: Also, Lexa is played by the same lady who plays the daughter in Fear the Walking Dead? I NEVER would have been able to tell that on my own. I don't know if that's a mark against me or a testament to how much the Lexa character is different from a typical high school girl.

Frighteningly (if there were an actual apocalypse), they're probably supposed to be about the same age. Growing up in post apoc is rough. :(

esperterra posted:

fwiw I was just pointing out there are several chars whose gayness is just a part of their character and never a plot device. It was the only issue I had with either side of this argument I felt worth engaging with, if only because The 100 is still an amazing show for gay representation just by virtue of having these characters be so casual about it. Whether you agree with how Lexa was handled or not I feel like that should be the one thing everyone can at least agree on. It's so simple.

Of of two things. Everyone agrees Clarke has great boobs. :eng101:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

esperterra posted:

tl;dr i stopped taking the internet seriously in like 2001 everyone should do the same

I heard back then the Internet Makes You Stupid.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

What a powerful episode. Holy poo poo. The Ark flashbacks, the slow Radioactive...wow. Full circle with the first episode.

Very cool to see the "old" versions of these guys from S1, especially the Chancellors. I think I really need to rewatch this show from the beginning.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Spergatory posted:

Yeah, I really dug the somber Radioactive as a callback to the pilot. Almost makes the actual moment in the pilot worth it. Almost.

That was what made it resonate for me, because in the pilot I heard it and was all :rolleyes: "OH HERE WE GO TYPICAL YA TEENYBOPPER POP SONG BULLSHIT!!" and was thisclose to turning off the show. Now it comes back to show me how epically wrong I was.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Another nice touch was how lovely Polis was, with people screaming and the streets literally running red with blood. A huge difference in comparison to the happy market scenes of earlier in the season.

And of course Pike, seeing it for the first time, assumes it's always like this. "About what I expected." :smug:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So I've decided to rewatch the first few episodes, to see it from a new perspective, knowing what I know now about the characters. Some impressions:

--Clarke is kinda whiny. She takes charge right away though, but you can see why others would find her annoying
--Octavia is also much less grim, although like in the flashbacks, every time anyone notices her at first it's "HEY THAT'S THE GIRL THEY FOUND IN THE FLOORBOARDS!" :haw:
--Murphy, as always, prime dick
--you know a bit more about Jaha and the rules, so you can see why all these kids hate him (and Wash, by proxy)
--~~++Finn++~~ :(
--FORESHADOWING:
Octavia: "Before you get any ideas, Finn is MINE"
Clarke: "Before you get any ideas, I don't care" rofl

The "Radioactive"/'WE'RE BACK BITCHES" scene was just as dumb and jarring as I remembered. They were full of wonder, really selling the moment of how these guys felt looking at the ground for the first time, and then that takes you out. As does Octavia's gratuitous swim scene. :rolleyes: (Should have been Clarke anyway!)

--Kane is a dick. Holy poo poo is he a dick. I'm trying to see him as the good guy here, but it's hard. He was awful quick to sentence Abby to die
--Monty and Jasper were such a cute double act, before they became all emo and sad :(
--The forest was shot as beautiful here, so lush compared to the harsher world they seem to move through now. Some things, like when Clarke and Finn woke up in Avatar land, have been totally forgotten
--it's weird to see Jaha decisive and in charge and not a full of himself mystic

When I went into the show, I thought it was going to be a dumb YA thing, focused on just the kids and the Ark stuff would soon be forgotten. Of course that was wrong, and characters like Abby, Kane, and Jaha are just as much main characters so seeing it now is very different now that I know that. The Ark drama isn't so secondary.

It's been speculated here what would have happened if Pike had gone down. I suppose Bellamy's little Lord of the Flies manipulation to try and stop the adults from coming down wouldn't have happened. If Pike had herded the whole group to Mount Weather, perhaps the Grounders on scene wouldn't have attacked and they might have made it...they were quite close, and it appears the Mountain Men were watching them and knew of them. Had they walked in with an adult leader, perhaps President Wallace would have negotiated with them for blood transfusions instead of what happened.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 30, 2016

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Really reprehensible none of the viewers warned the arkers about the ALIE situation

e: I momentarily forgot about this shows grace and subtlety naming her A LIE

:aaaaa:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

They're going to shoot ALIE down with that rocket, aren't they?

ALIE has been fabulous, btw. That shot of her in space was loving marvelous.

What rocket? Does Mt Wx still have a functional ICBM?

Also I'd totally forgot there was a piece of The Ark still in orbit--but of course that was where Jaha was.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Clarke isn't entirely wrong here...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sometimes it's like Murphy's in his own show, and just fleetingly guest starring in this one, like a crossover with another equally awesome show. :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

LOL "DEATH BY CLARKE"

Also lol at "Spear to the chest"
"Not as lucky as me" :smug:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The TV IV › The 100 (s3) - DEATH BY CLARKE

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

If they beat ALIE, I wonder what next season will bring? I'm hoping it ends with the City of Light destroyed, ALIE gone, Grounders and Arkers free and ready to be friends, Jaha, and everybody restored to being nice, Kane in charge...and then the New Chinese Empire Helicopters land! :getin:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Fighting Trousers posted:

But a whole fuckton of PTSD. Poor Kane.

And what are they going to do with Jaha? What happens to Moses when the burning bush just...disappears?

Yep, now we're back to four three living Chancellors, all who have various degrees of legal claim to the title, as well as no living legal Grounder leader. poo poo's hosed, yo, at least in a political sense.

Hopefully they'll just put Kane in charge.

It was awfully nice of ALIE to tell us next season's plot before she went dark. So next year, it's a 100 Roadtrip all over the world, righting wrongs, saving nuke plants, meeting new people, survivors, and tribes! :dance:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It's been 6 months since they left the Ark I think. ALIE said the meltdowns started 4 months ago.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lycus posted:

I think it would've been cooler to see a crapload of commanders helping Clarke, not just Lexa.

:agreed:

Seeing a line of them going from older, more civilized types to primitive tribals who died young with short reigns would have been a neat visual as well.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Something something Under the Dome something:

quote:

The 100 Writers Room Retweeted
Stephen King ‏@StephenKing May 20
The 100: And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you pull off one hell of a season finale: no pulled punches, all killer, no filler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I just realized why Murphy is so great: he's basically the Gaius Baltar of this show. :allears:

• Locked thread