Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

TheCenturion posted:

I think the idea is that a lot of the linguistic and cultural drift is forced, to stymie the Mountain Men. I'd expect that quite a bit of the Becca/Alie lore is specifically hidden or obfuscated by religion as a safety measure.

That would have been a good plan. Once Becca realized the US Govt was still in play and probably understandably salty about the end of the world (and would blame her) she probably wanted to keep a pretty low profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The thing you have to remember with Murphy is he's basically the Gaius Baltar of this show. No matter how bad he screws the pooch, he always ends up falling up. Getting "raped" by a hot woman would be something where he'd look at the 4th wall, shrug, and say "Oh well!" :smug:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Also they do bring in the adults more and more as main characters as the show goes on.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

enraged_camel posted:

I actually think the show made the first few episodes intentionally different tone-wise, since the sudden shift from :rolleyes: to :stonk: played a big role in getting people hooked.

I almost think they did it for the benefit of the network, who was expecting a new teen YA show where a bunch of hot kids get separated from their parents and have sexy drama. I bet the network had no idea that the parents would remain main characters and in leadership positions, or that we'd have dialogues on the morality of literal vampirism to survive as a species, the AI apocalypse, etc

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Werewolves. :colbert:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

What was that bigass crashed thing?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Spergatory posted:

Apparently Devon Bostick has been vaguely shade-tweeting (and promptly deleting) mild spoilers about the fact that he is barely in this season. I guess them not killing Jasper is the equivalent of those moments in Bioware games where your decisions can possibly get characters killed, but they get shuffled offscreen and cease to be relevant to the plot either way because Bioware are hacks and actually writing a significant fork in the plot is way too much work for them. :v:

Surprising because he was pretty prominent in the trailer...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

One thing I really liked about Kane was how in the first season you think he's a bad guy but then he freaks out when he learns that he killed all those people for nothing you realize that he's actually a good guy who was just trying to figure out a bad situation.

What we noticed, and the new watchers might too if they go back and look, is that Henry Ian Cusick pretty much played Kane the same the whole time, but it was the directing and music cues in his first few appearances which made him look like a scheming villain. He's not perfect, and he was a stickler for The Rules and ultrapragmatic to the point of fatalistic (which continues to plague him on Earth but he's not a bad guy.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The only bad thing about Pike is we didn't have a good "Tailie backstory where we really got to see what happened to them and how they got from Point A to Point Fascism. If the writers had done it right, we'd have believed Pike to be a hero and doing the right thing. Instead we only saw half the story.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The tribal politics seems to have been an unintended outcome by Becca. Despite having the ability to pass on memories and knowledge to each successive Commander, their society became very primitive very fast, and I'm not sure what the benefit was.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The various methods of survival portrayed by the different elements we've seen so far (nanomachine blood and resistance over time by the grounders, space radiation and possible genetic engineering by the Arkers, and hiding underground by the Mountain Men) are interesting. What I hope we see next season is even more of that, and finding new and interesting pockets of humanity who have survived in their own perhaps different ways. Particularly if they have to go on some quest to shut down nuke plants all over the world. It'd be nice to get away from the greater VA/Maryland area and see more of the world.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Well hel-loooooo Clarke and that corset you're wearing.

Earth Cleavage is still extant even as the world is ending (again)!

Also love that Murphy still takes time out to poo poo on Jaha. :allears:

Yes Jaha, this is literally all your fault!

It seems that Kane is back in charge, with Pike dead, Jaha jahaing, and Abbie is deferring to him too. He was the best of the Chancellors, though not perfect.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

I feel like they changed it yeah. There were a few instances where I heard what they said and then read it and it made sense. I could have probably understood it without reading it if they maybe spoke a bit slower or if I was more exposed to it.

I still need the subtitles. I understand it after the fact, like I'll hear it, read the subtitles, and say "oh that makes sense I see what they were saying" but I can't follow it when I hear it alone. I could probably read it and suss it out though.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yeah, they should have just taken the machine and had the King of the Ice Nation just tell the Ice Nation slavers to back the gently caress off. How the hell were the Ice Nation slavers keeping the lights on in Farm Station anyway? What did they know about tech?

I like the idea that Jaha is hanging around haunting Clarke, but I'm not sure I buy the idea that the surviving Arker adults would suddenly start following Clarke after their last elected leader died like a week ago. And isn't the point of the Coalition that Clarke, Raven and Bellamy are supposed to be saving everyone in the tribes from the Nuclear Fire? Gonna be pretty lovely if they go to pick up her mom and Kane and are like "Yo, our plan is just to seal up the Ark and save Skycru, smell ya later Grounders!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Oh I also forgot to point out that Jasper's choice of song, Boomtown Rats "I Don't Like Mondays" was loving perfect:

quote:

The silicon chip inside her head
Gets switched to overload
And nobody's gonna go to school today
She's going to make them stay at home

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Octavia is The Revenant.

So Kane is still actually in charge--did he tell Clarke to do The List, or did she just do that poo poo on her own?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Without the Ark and their supplies/tech/guns, Skaicru really has no leverage or protection. Except whatever Abby can come up with.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Kane did a pretty piss poor job of addressing the fact that his head security guy basically pulled a coup on him in the last episode. :colbert:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

LOL that Crazy Jaha actually pulled it off and saved everyone!

Little disappointed that the bunker wasn't filled with crazy cultists or cryogenically frozen John Pyper-Ferguson tho. :colbert:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Spiteski posted:

Wait what?

It was pretty much a cameo, but he played the cult leader on the old video Jaha was watching. Was hoping beyond hope he'd have a bigger part somehow, because he's an awesome actor who's in everything and plays a lot of different characters well.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

ufarn posted:

The first two seasons are just amazing. It's unfortunately extremely uneven in the following seasons, but those first two are some of the best and most original TV I've watched.

Especially because it had no business being as good as it was. It started life as a CW YA show with hot kids and no adults who were setting up a Lord of the Flies society and fighting primitives and then completely changed the premise and became 100x deeper.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I loved how they called Jaha out on trying to basically rebuild Ark Society in the Bunker with him in charge.You can see it going to his head, he's getting the best of all worlds--he gets to be the Savior leading his people to salvation AND set himself up as a strong contender for total leader once inside the Ark Bunker. He did show a surprising amount of character growth in letting Jasper and the Gang go though.

Equally good was the fakeout with Clarke meeting her destiny and nobly sacrificing herself to become the new Commander and be top leader of all the groups including Skaikru, only to get shut down by the ever pragmatic Roan (who I am starting to really like). Like Jaha, she's gonna be denied her "inevitable" chance to take over.

This show does a pretty good job in taking left turns when you expect a right even in the 3rd season. I suppose the big question will be if Octavia would actually fight for the Ark people, or just join Treekru. If she did the former, I imagine she'd win and then Clarke/Kane/Jaha would magnanimously allow everyone into the Bunker which would set up a hilarious enclosed society of multiple Grounder tribes at each others throats as they muscle out Skaikru in running the place.

Or not, this show does tend to do flip expectations on you especially at the end of the season.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 27, 2017

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

Good episode. Glad they seem to be clearing the decks of a lot of the conflicts this season. I'll be happy if this is the last season of the clan conflict arc, and they're definitely done with Arkadia and the arc sets.

When they were walking into the bunker, it felt like "..and here's our new set for next season."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The 13 station was the one we saw destroyed by a missile strike in a Becca flashback.

I'm hoping they'll go on the road and find other remnants of civilization around the world or at least the greater continental US. You know, like they could have done this season when trying to save the world.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

There was an asteroid mining penal colony they've mentioned several times this season, which is what I'm talking about. Not the 13th Station.

Oh in that case game on!

It could be a very interesting role reversal if next season the Arkers were more or less assimilated into the Grounder tribes and suddenly they had to deal with being invaded by a bunch of technologically sophisticated jerks from space!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I love how the Grounders are all indignant that Skycru is doing exactly what they were supposed to be allowed to do (live in the Bunker alone) before Octavia, who is not a leader or in any way designated to make decisions, decided to allow everyone in.

1. Skycru: "Most people can live in the Bunker, there's room for everyone pretty much.
2..Grounders: "NO WE WILL HAVE A WAR AND ONLY 1 GROUP OUT OF 12 CAN GO IN!!
3. Grounders: "You won, you can live in the Bunker alone."
4. Octavia: "No, EVERYONE CAN!"
5. Grounders: "Suddenly we're cool with everyone sharing, even though before we were willing to go to all out war to not do so."
6. Skycru: "We're going to live in the Bunker alone."
7. Grounders: "RIOT!"

While it's pretty LOL that Jaha took charge again, to be fair literally NOBODY would know about the Bunker or have tried to get in without him and his monomanical Moses obsession to find the Promised Land. I think he was right to call that Kane would probably do some wishywashy thing to let everyone in, and even if he didn't he probably figured Octavia would lose or if she won she'd be bound to do exactly what she ended up doing.

I imagine if Octavia hadn't said everyone could go in, Kane would have still ended up saying more people could go in, he'd start trying to come up with some way to pick who, the Grounders would start infighting again, and they'd be back to square one. I am normally Team Kane, but I think Jaha and Clarke were probably right on this one. Too bad there's a zero chance of it sticking because Bellamy and probably Abby will end up opening the door and deposing Jaha and Clarke.

Kane and Octavia are morally right, but I think the Grounders pissed away their chance by wanting WAR and BLOOD instead of agreeing to be civilized because they think Skycru talks like fags and their shits all retarded, and anyone who is civilized is just a Mountain Man rear end in a top hat to them and they'd rather die as Mad Max cosplayers than live as effete civilized people because that is their culture. :rolleyes:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

That's one thing I loved about Octavia being the focus/hero of the last episode. For the past few seasons it's been The Clarke Show where she Awesomely Solves Everything and is Totally Badass and Has The Answers.

The past half season she's had one setback after another, fell out with King Roan, and has now been totally sidelined the last couple of episodes. Now somebody else is pivotal, which is cool.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Fighting Trousers posted:

I think it's of a piece with who Clarke's been all along. She's always been self-assured that she knows the best way forward, and that self-assurance has straddled the line between confidence and arrogance. Way back in the first season, she was a prissy killjoy - she wasn't wrong that the 100 needed to get their poo poo together, but she was still insufferable. Now she seems to be finally, truly succumbing to arrogance. And it looks like the show is setting her up for a fall, especially with all those call backs to Mt. Weather.

And putting her side by side with Jaha, who is totally on the high of "Finally, I'm in charge of an enclosed community again with certain death outside our airlocks!" :smug:

Both he and Clarke are going to get their comeuppance it would seem.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Whelp, looks like Jaha's second Chancellorship was short lived!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

They should flash forward 5 years to the hosed up Bunker society where the Mad Max Grounder Clans have imported their culture into the Bunker, and the Ark people are basically their slaves operating the machines and growing their food while their overlords are constantly fighting.

Also I realized why they did it this way: Now there will once again be "The 100"--remaining Ark people alive next season.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I really feel bad for Jaha. Yeah he flops between Authoritarian and Moses "Sacrificing All to Save My People" modes, but if it was not for him and his monomaniac obsession (and access to antique Ark records of pre apoc Earth) nobody would have found the loving bunker! They'd all be done for.

And at first SkyCru was willing to share, at least with some. They would have taken some in from every clan. But it was the Grounders and their "honor" and war culture which demanded first a massive war, then a blood combat. And by the terms, the winner took all, so again Jaha was totally in the right to take the Bunker. Sure, they jumped the gun a bit, but in the end the results would have been the same as far as SkyCru getting total possession. But nope, Octavia suddenly gets to change the rules. Now 300 Arkers have to die who 5 minutes ago thought they were totes safe.

Basically everything Jaha has ever done has been to save the max amount of His People, and it tends to work (except that whole ALIE thing, that was a bit bad but he was under her influence shortly after finding her). Jaha pushed to send The 100 down to Earth to see if it was safe. Jaha approved the plan to leave for Earth and use the Ark itself as a lifeboat, and volunteered to stay behind and die. Jaha set out to look for the City of Light hoping some technologically advanced people would take in his people. Jaha, even though everyone hated him, spent weeks researching and looking for this bunker, and found it. Now for all that he'll probably be exiled outside to die.

I mock his authoritarianism at times, but to be fair to him, the culture of the Chancellorship, where that person has the power of life and death for the smallest offenses, ostensibly to save what they thought was left of the human race, was something he was raised in. He knew no different. Look at what a dick Kane was when he was on the Ark. And he has shown some growth, like when he allowed Jasper and the other burnouts to stay behind instead of forcibly evacuating them.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Uh, there's a significant casting spoiler floating around on the 'net, in case anyone wishes to avoid it. It's pretty major, and has been reported in several places, so anyone who might be worried about being spoiled should probably avoid any 100 themed message boards / threads / websites for a while.

For those wondering, Isiah Washington (Jaha) is leaving the cast. Not clear how or when, just that he won't be returning as a regular for Season 5, which on this show is usually a fate that comes with a toe tag. There's no real behind the scenes drama that's leaked over this, but I suspect that there could have been some, given how he reportedly went to talk to the network back in Season 3. Alternately, he could just be dead come season finale, as some are speculating.

Lame. :(

I've finally gotten around to watching the most recent episode.

I think it's pretty clear that Raven was possessed, or at least heavily influenced, by ALIE -- and that Abby is too. ALIE's still living in Abby's brain and influencing her actions.

I mean, the Becca avatar started this episode talking about there'd be "no more pain, no more loss" if Raven followed her instructions. That's classic ALIE. The hallucinations are specifically a result of Raven's brain damage, and that's caused by the poor removal of the chip's neural network from her brain.

The only other person to have that done to them is Abby, something the show specifically establishes earlier this season. Abby has refused to have her brain scanned. Abby's late season actions have consistently put the flame and the nightblood programs in danger of destruction. In this episode, she deliberately opened the bunker to the outside world -- she claimed this was for Kane. But what if it was so that the bunker would be filled to max capacity, therefore allowing for the most humans to survive the purge? What if she's just continuing ALIE's program of survival?

Jaha's noticed her changed behaviour as well -- if she had to choose between Kane and Clarke, she'd choose Clarke every time. He says she's acting out of character, because she really, really is. It's only going to be so long before someone puts two and two together here.

Wow, never noticed that, but I think you're on to something! That would be a swerve, and this show loves doing that!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Acacia REI posted:

To be fair, if Jaha hadn't found ALIE and The City of Light, no one would have known about the impending radiation death wave in the first place. That isn't something ALIE caused, it was going to happen regardless of whether the whole City of Light disaster happened or not.

Goddamn, I didn't even think about that. Jaha really did save humanity! Literally everything he's done has been one step closer to saving the human race.

And now he's gonna die in ignomy. :(

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So apparently now Octavia is the new Commander and is somehow going to be in charge of the Bunker?

Also lol that the core main survivors of the original 100 are going to be up in space on the Ark, calling down to a new 100 on Earth consisting of Jaha, Kane, Abby and the other adults who exiled them! :laugh:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I both hate Jaha and love him. He has a martyr/god/Moses complex but drat if he's not right most of the time in the end.

Boris Galerkin posted:

- I really like what they did with Octavia. I think she would have made a good leader or at least have a good shot at it because she seemed to understand that you need to make hard calls sometimes even if it means murdering "your" people. Was a nice touch to show her almost crying to herself on several occasions. Plus she absolutely made the call to do it without wavering back and forth like Clark or the rest of them would do. Jesus she was about to murder all 364 or whatever people in that room :stare:.

Yeah, it's pretty cool how the show for years played it up like Clarke was the main character, and she had all the answers. Then they really played it up like she was going to be the next Commander, especially this season when she came thisclose. And as they are so good at doing, they swerved and basically Octavia is now the main character, leader, and new Commander. Next season could be a time jump where we see the Bunker in a few years as a society ruled by the iron fist of Octavia, lording up up over her Skycru slaves who keep the lights on for the Grounder elite.

OTOH it's kinda lame that even the Grounders are letting a mentally wounded child dictate the future of humanity, someone who has a chip on her shoulder about her "unfair" treatment as a child which was dictated by the laws and traditions of her society (which are no less valid or more fair than those of the Grounders).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

Do we really need another season of Jaha running around trying to be in charge again?

:colbert: Yes.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder if Kane and Abby will have had a new kid in the interim to replace Clarke. :v:

Hopefully named Clerka like Kymmi on Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. :allears:

Next season is gonna be pretty baller. Prison ship reveal was great. Maybe they'll all be dicks, but it would be even funnier if they evolved into a bunch of nice, intelligent people who hear what the Grounders, Mountain Men, and Skaicru did and are horrified at their barbarism.. "Wait, you used to shove people out the arilock? And you did a trial by combat and murdered a couple hundred of your own people? You guys are animals!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Right, surprise prison convicts out of nowhere. Took them six years and something, plus all the time spent on the ground before, to get to Earth? I thought adult prisoners got spaced, anyway? Why is there a huge transport coming?

"Well our advanced science showed us that the Earth was about to be ravaged by a nuclear holocaust, we've known for like 20 years now. I mean, you guys knew that right? So we planned a long term mission to come back once it got safe."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Mount Weather only needed Grounders to go outside, they were fine inside so there could be plenty of jerks all over the globe.

And those other Ark stations might have landed and found such bunkers and also survived.

That is the beauty of the premise. Even after we spend a season or two fighting Space Austrailian Convicts, they can keep finding OTHER long lost bunkers around the world, full of random dicks. :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

:getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLHnMC93OUU

"Clarke, what happens if the Monsters come back?"

"Then we'll kill them all."

:black101:

• Locked thread