Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm reasonably confident that we will see a huge spike in Octavia's kill-count this season.

In the pantheon being set up here, Clarke represents Healing and Justice, Raven represents Knowledge and Invention, while Octavia is Courage and War. Clarke's body count is high because she makes plans and gives order that have ended lots of lives, but Octavia spent the entire last season literally transforming herself in to a warrior. Soon she'll be leading her own fighting force of battle-hardened grounders and it's gonna be loving epic.

Also, it's hard not to draw some parallels between Clarke and Odin. Who famously has two Ravens, his "thought and his mind", who search the world for knowledge/information and deliver it to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Iron Rose posted:

On the one hand yes, but on the other Clarke has killed literally a hundred times as many people as Octavia so there's a lot of catchup to be done.

Well I didn't say she was gonna catch up. But also, Clarke's killed very few people with her own hands. Octavia may soon pass her in that department, running around with that badass sword.

edit: ^ agreed.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Iron Rose posted:

Eh, there's not a huge difference between rad-flooding Mount Weather and shooting someone imo, and even on that front I think Clarke's still in the lead.

Oh entirely agreed here, but then again I never met a fictional dictator I didn't love so I'm biased.

Seriously my favourite character in the new Star Wars was General Hux.

Yeah but my point is, it's not about killing. Clarke has a big "kill count", but she's not a warrior, she's a queen. Octavia is a loving blood and guts eviscerate you warrior. The plausibility of this transformation isn't important. She is a loving avatar of valor and battle.

I mean, it's possible they'll go in a different direction, but season 2 is basically dedicated to showing her transformation. While it's clear that they aren't afraid to kill characters off, this isn't Game of Thrones. They're building her up for a reason.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The fact that Lexa was Anya's second and Anya was a tribal leader and Anya managed to become a more or less imperial leader given both their ages tells us a lot about the speed at which grounder politics moves. It's also hinted that there's some kind of non-democratic, non-bloodlineal ritual process by which leaders are "called", so it's entirely possible that Octavia could succeed Lexa entirely by the grounders own laws and traditions. Maybe she kills a mutant gorilla with only her sword and that's a sign that she is the next leader or something.

I was also thinking about the children's attitudes towards not wanting to give up Finn and claiming his actions were necessary. Despite how they've all risen to the occasion of being tossed on the ground, these are all children whose only experience with consequences for breaking the law was a slap on the wrist, in a society that executed any adults who broke the law. They literally have never had to deal with real consequences before and are used to being given second chances. This is one part of their big wakeup call that everything is for real now. Which is what season 2 was really about. In season 1, everything they did was out of necessity and ignorance. their hand really was forced by the immediate threats to their survival. In season 2, they made real choices where they had options. And those choices had and will have real consequences.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Fenrisulfr posted:

I would not personally call "thrown in solitary for X years, where X is 18 - their age, then probably executed" a slap on the wrist.

Yeah, that's true, but at the same time, life on the Ark was already pretty restrictive. I know that solitary is not joke, but they were already living under authoritarian rule in small grey rooms.

edit:

Boogaleeboo posted:

The Grounders are semi-feral tribal hillbillies that could get absolutely loving smoked by any reasonable advanced group that wanted to mess with them. Like they were literally a crop for Mt. Weather, that's how much all their warrior bullshit matters. They are walking potatoes. What did Octavia ever do to you that was so terrible you'd wish her leadership of those gently caress ups?
I also completely disagree with this. The grounders are shown to be tactically competent and very skilled in combat.

I was going to make this part of my earlier post but I had to cut it short.

The grounders are the culture that evolved from and the descendants of people who where badass enough to survive the aftermath of nuclear war. It's not surprising that, like the Ark and the Mountain Men, their ways are savage and brutal. It's also worth noting that most of the time we've seen grounders, we have just been seeing warriors. The village that Finn attacked seemed to be a pretty normal, peaceful society.

The fact that Lexa can mobilize an army a thousand strong within a day proves that they have significant organization.

Grounders are known to have bullshit tree-elf ninja skills.

With the Mountain Men gone and no missiles coming for grounders who pick up guns, whoever arms the a grounder army will become a serious player.

Imagine if Octavia becomes a smaller leader, like Anya was, commanding a hundred grounders, but uses her diplomatic ties to the sky people to arm her warriors with guns. She would then become a major player among the grounder tribes.

Snak fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 14, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah. The scenes on the Ark were the weakest aspect of season 1. Jaha's journey was the weakest part of season 2. Although I liked the payoff. It showed they are committed to more than just "how will the sky people live with the grounders".

This show continues to remind me of Planet of the Apes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There was a grounded in the Dead Zone with an RPG so clearly the Mountain Men's power extended only so far. Or it was a plot hole.

I mean, even if they could shoot missiles that far, they would have to be able to see them. There was surveillance and reconnaissance around Mt. Weather.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sober posted:

As much fun as Genghis Clarke is and hoping she commits more mass murder every season I hope they don't go balls out for it if/when they do. Then again Mt. Weather was done well so I have faith it won't literally be crazy ol' Clarke having to stop a war through literal M.A.D.

Honestly, I bet if the nuke gets used by people, it's to take out the AI. Like the AI is trying to use it as a failsafe to allow it to be the architect of a new society, and Clarke is like gently caress that and Raven finds a way to rig it to blow and take the AI with it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

Hopefully it doesn't take Raven with it :ohdear:

Yeah, but maybe Murphy will do it. They've put him on a redemptive arc, and him suicide nuking skynet would be a pretty epic way for him to go out.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Someone mentioned earlier how Lexa could face blowback from making a deal with the Mountain Men and then the Sky People going on to win the battle anyway. I think this is right, and it's going to give Indra the opportunity for a coup. If Indra takes over, then Octavia will be second to the commander. This will give Indra diplomatic advantages with the Skaïkru.

Yes I looked up that spelling on The 100 wiki.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but it's mentioned that they won't follow a weak leader. I assume that reincarnation is the legal method of succession, but plenty of coup d'etats have worked just fine in the real world without being legal.

It's also possible that a weak leader can be seen as not possessing the true spirit of the leader, and another candidate could be propped up as the true leader, like an antipope.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This show rules.

Grounder language continues to be awesome. Nice to see that Bellamy has picked some up.

They are doing a real "Vietnam war movie" vibe with the rover crew and Jasper. Rules.

edit: Also the way that Indra says it, I misunderstood it the first time: She is saying that what Clarke did at Mount Weather weakened the Commander? Because that make sense, and is what we talked about earlier. The way she said "What Clarke did at Mount Weather weakened her", somehow I parsed it as Clarke weakening herself at first and got confused.

Snak fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 22, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Xoidanor posted:

Is it really? For me it kinda makes sense that experienced hydroponic farmers would initially opt for the semi-controlled environment of pots when they lack both tractor and cattle to efficiently work the land. It's only been 3 months since season 2.

Yeah, while they are probably working on growing so plants on the land, all their experience is basically plants in containers. It's not strange they are starting with what they are familiar with.

Also, they don't have strong knowledge of the seasons with regards to planting. Plots in pots remain mobile, and if it starts to get cold too fast, they have options besides just watching the frost kill their entire crop.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Huh, I kinda liked Wix.

I hope that once the peace stars to fall apart anyway, they move into the god damned defensible mountain bunker.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

I love that they are all living off Panther meat and getting it on same sex style.

Get it? They both eat cat...

Vietnam PTSD Jasper rules.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Astroman posted:

I have to say, after hearing the tomb comments, and "it creeps me out" I kinda want an ep where they go to the Haunted Bunker. It makes them not moving in worth it.

I thought for sure they'd be living in it and there would be scenes of them struggling with all the death that happened there.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Party Plane Jones posted:

Wasn't Octavia Jasper's crush until the series started offing teens like no tomorrow?

Yes.

edit: This show is so good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Let's not forget that before Maya died, he also went pretty nuts with that ax. He has just learned, as a teenager, that he has power to make change, power over life and death. But not all the power. No matter what he does, poo poo is hosed and there's nothing he can do about it. And now he's a drunk, which tend's to keep your viewpoints somewhat polarized for you.

edit: ^ Clarke dropping onto the panther from the tree is some straight Rambo poo poo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
In case you guys have been ignoring it, The 100 Wiki is pretty awesome and comprehensive. I mean, it's not the most unbiased, content-wise, but it contains everything that you would expect teenage shippers care about

For example, each character page has a sidebar, and on that sidebar, under "Family Information" is a field called "Significant Kills". All romantic relationships are listed and usually have their own pages. The character bios are tabbed by season.

You can learn the grounder language.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Error 404 posted:

Gunekru represent

The forums are obviously part of the City of Light :colbert:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lycus posted:

They should play the Head-Six theme when Jaha sees Alie outside.

Yeah when that happened I was like "wow they really just went full Gaius Baltar with him, huh".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

nerdman42 posted:

There's so much good poo poo in the premiere but I love the understated moment where Murphy gives this "hate makes me who I am" speech to Jaha so he won't join his dumb cult... and then he sees a girl he wants to bone and jumps onboard.

Classic Murphy.

Murphy rules.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Monicro posted:

Murphy has been my favorite character ever since he spent the first few episodes of season 2 tagging along making sarcastic quips about how much he tried to kill everybody

I think, more than any other character, it's pretty clear that the writers wanted to adjust his character from his initial personality. It was a great adjustment. It's like season 1 Michael Scott to season 2 Michael Scott level of improvement.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Error 404 posted:

Sure. But their apocalypse is still 100+ years in "our" future.
I don't see too many people rocking out to 1916's greatest hits.

yeah it was probably on the ark in a part of a cultural preservation of classical music. Just like how kids today think that Picasso and DaVinci were probably around the same time, Jasper will look at Van Gogh and think it's from the same time as Imagine Dragons.

Snak fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 27, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
They might not have to kill him off. He's only in like half of the episodes as it is.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Error 404 posted:

He taught Earth Skills.

So he's like the Ark version of a nutty arfcom doomsday prepper.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like at first I thought they were gonna go with "teacher gets jaded and goes all Nazi Planet from Star Trek" but I think it's more that he's a survivalist who "does what it takes" and "political correctness gets people killed".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

I have a weird vibe about what really happened to Monty's dad, though. When Pike cut in to finish the story and his mum went silent it got me wondering how true all of it was.

I bet they actually killed a grounder first. Or like, their station fell on a grounder village and killed a bunch of people.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Iron Rose posted:

I thought for sure he was executed for disobeying Pike or something like that

I doubt that. Maybe he was killed by grounders because of something Pike did though.

edit: I'm kind of confused that Indra is back working with the SkaiKru, but not with Octavia. I thought the reason that Octavia wasn't her second any more was that Octavia went with Clarke after Lexa's "betrayal". Octavia was one of my favorite characters in Season 2, but she hasn't really done anything at all this season yet.

edit2: V Oh that's very possible.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 30, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

It's gotta correspond to something since nothing in the show so far has suggested the grounders are capable of that level of architecture. I sure can't think of what it would be though.

It could be something that's not built yet.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

hollylolly posted:

Linctavia is my OTP :swoon:

What was Captain Vane's name on this show? Prince A....? I missed it.

I get why a surviving skyscraper would make for an intimidating seat of power for Lexa but they were seriously high up. Think of all the stairs! :ohdear: Unless they show that the Grounders have rigged up some lifts to run up the old elevator shafts next week, I guess!

First I was surprised they didn't use an iconic Washington DC landmark for her HQ, but it actually makes sense that all those buildings would have been bombed to smithereens.

These dudes walk and ride dozens of miles per day. I doubt they give a poo poo about stairs.

It would be pretty awesome if they rigged the elevators though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

She killed those three ice nation dudes by proxy

Oh man. I'm going to check if those are counted on the wiki RIGHT NOW.

edit: They are not.

edit2: so far, those kills are simply unlisted. I guess they don't count as notable, which is fine.

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 1, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

hollylolly posted:

Yeah, it wasn't that she didn't kill him on purpose, she was trying to and he faked that he'd died so she'd stop choking/drowning him to death.

And also, this is understandable. Despite her killcount, most of Clarke's kills have been swift and easy.

Now, she's apparently been taking down panthers with just a knife, so she's obviously got that hands-on experiance now, but "a feel for when you've drowned someone" isn't really something we should really expect Clarke to have at this point.

I mean, now she probably does. I doubt she ever makes that mistake again.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Monicro posted:

Yeah I definitely got the impression that she thought he was dead, but that does raise the question of how it fooled her after she pulled the same trick 10 seconds earlier

It's because she still thinks she's a badass who knows what's up. Clarke is awesome, don't get me wrong, but she kind of lucked into her success. Clarke is intelligent, strong willed, strongly principled, and a natural leader. But she's up against people who have most of those traits, and had to fight tooth and nail to get where they are. Clarke was one of the smartest people on the drop-ship and had familial connections to the ark government. Clarke is just starting her transformation. She's embraced her brutality, in hunting not just animals, but other predators. She's embraced changes in her sexuality and possibly her sexual dominance. And she's ready to embrace herself as the hardened killer, but she's not even close to the hardest or the most experienced killer around. Clarke's ferocity might give her and edge with Indra, with Kendra, with Lexa, and with her mother, but it doesn't make her better at politics than Lexa or Abby, or better at fighting than Indra or Roan.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The worst thing about Pike isn't that he's the way he is, it's that Kane and Abby are just like "yeah he's super racist against grounders and thinks that it's us against them, but we aren't going to sit him down and explain the importance of the situation, we'll just keep inviting him to meetings and letting him see how much authority he can get away with". Like it's completely stupid of all the characters who have been major players in the last season to just be like "yeah these guys are 2 seconds from murdering our friends who have helped us because they look like the enemy, but what can you do?"

Also, since we haven't seen Jaha in 2 episodes, I assume we're up for an episode that's all about him. :barf:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

He was a good friend of theirs back on the Arc and a respected leader, and they mistakenly believe he's still the same person. They don't understand how his experience with the Grounders has permanently turned him into an extremist, so they let him into meetings in the hopes that he'll come back around via osmosis. I think it's a very understandable mistake.

Yeah but he keeps straight up saying poo poo that Kane is turning a blind eye to. Doesn't he literally say "the only good grounder is a dead grounder"? He leads his people in a chant of "grounder-killers, one and all!", and his people are on such a different page that they literally assault grounders who were invited into Arkadia by Kane/Abby. It's one thing if they don't believe he's really a bad person, but it's another to not reign in his behavior. If any of the main characters from the last season were being smart at all they would recognize how dangerous the situation is.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah like literally any scene where they talk about it in a non-reactionary way.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand what Pike's plan is when they eventually run out of bullets. They live on the ground with thousands of grounders, and there are only 100s of Ark people left. Given the populations and armies we've seen, there's no reason to believe that there aren't hundreds of thousands of grounders alive in North America. Pike plan is literally to kill the only 300 grounders who are specifically not planning to kill them. This only sends one message, that you can't trust the Skaikru, and that the Skaikru is more trouble than they are worth. You can't wage guerrilla warfare when the enemy knows the terrain better than you. If a grounder army lays siege to Arkadia, that's game over.

edit:

Azhais posted:

There's literally no reason Pike should have been along at the summit either. Sure, pike probably wanted to go, but much like other noted dangerously unstable guy Jasper, he should be required to stay at home.

Didn't he not go to the summit? He was at Mt. Weather when Echo showed up and told them the false intel. Then he went with Bellamy and crashed the summit.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
edit: double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Troposphere posted:

a lot of people are pissed Bellamy isn't the main character and it makes me really hope he dies this season

I'm annoyed that he's being dumb. I legit thought when he sat down with Pike that he was baiting Pike out into a trap so that Indra could just kill them all before poo poo got started.

But I feel like this is the show. It's like what happened with Finn. Just because you're a strong young man, it doesn't mean you have what it takes to survive emotionally. Being tough, being strong, being ruthless, these are not enough on their own.

• Locked thread