Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

WELCOME TO THE STUDENT VETERANS LOUNGE

PLEASE FILL OUT THIS BINGO CARD

Congratulations on your decision to become a student veteran.
Whether you're the first in family to attend college, or just needed a little "seasoning" between undergrad and PhD, you're part of a proud tradition of men and women too old, too knowledgable, too medicated and too stupid to have a place in today's higher education.

And yet here we are.

Before proceeding, you must know a few things. First of all, questions about VA benefits and entitlements belong in this actually useful resource thread.

Second, I hope you didn't throw out your assault pack.
You're gonna need it, especially if your beard game is weak, so that everyone knows YOU SERVED.

Need one? Here ya go:

Zeris fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Getting my BA in History from CU-Boulder this may. Most of the vets I've met here are pretty cool, which is a massive departure from the people I knew and worked with while I was in.

Dating an undergrad sounds like a loving chore. Tenderly smashing one out seems about as intimate as things should get

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Getting my BA in History from CU-Boulder this may. Most of the vets I've met here are pretty cool, which is a massive departure from the people I knew and worked with while I was in.

Dating an undergrad sounds like a loving chore. Tenderly smashing one out seems about as intimate as things should get

why

getting a job will not be easy

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I'm probably going back to school this fall, assuming it doesn't take for-loving-ever for the VA to process my survivor's educational benefits (it probably will).

Older vets, remember this rule: (Your age/2)+7 = youngest you can date without being creepy.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Starting school next Tuesday in the Western side of MA. Starting off with two classes since I'm still working full time and I haven't been in a (non military) classroom in 13 years.

Already felt like Billy Madison when I went to register for classes.

Looking forward to intro to programming and Latin American cultural studies.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I have another two semesters at CSU before I'm done. I actively avoid the student veterans lounge other than to rapidly use their microwave for my lunch. It's full of all the standard issue student veteran stereotypes, and they all mean mug anyone who walks in. I cannot be loving arsed. If I were the type to get along with the standard veteran, I'd still be in the Army. All the stories about how they got drunk and tried to burn down a bar across the border in Mexico, etc, I'm loving over it.

But then again I'm massively misanthropic and hate everyone, so this shouldn't really be a surprise.

The highest compliment a classmate ever gave me was that she never thought I was a veteran before I told her.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Zeris posted:

-I'm starting to suspect I never get Tinder matches because I'm above the default age range

What age is this? I never tried Tinder, just assumed I was too old.

Nobody at school has ever asked me if I have PTSD or if I ever killed anyone.

11 years is my biggest undergrad smash-gap.

edit: BFA ~film~ and BS Criminal Justice. Never gonna graduate because school is fun and free.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Still at community college :hellyeah:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Oh hey here's something for the thread. Back in 2008, my school vets lounge had a meet and greet thing, and as a means of getting us to talk to each other, they handed out these "social bingo" papers.

Humanity continues to fill me with inarticulate disgust.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Teflon Don posted:

Still at community college :hellyeah:

Gonna get my rear end back to CC come April. Fell out of it but I'm gonna get my rear end going again and finally get a degree and transfer to UW or something I dunno yet. Also gonna peep butts but then it's gonna feel creepy cuz they're all 18-21 year olds.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
uncle sam gave me a full four year ride in the school of hard knocks and i majored in street knowledge

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

why

getting a job will not be easy

So I can goto law school?

If I wanted to just get a job I could've done something with my nuke training. What do you know about my job prospects? Quit harshing my high bro I gotta go snowboarding tomorrow

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 14, 2016

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

The Rat posted:

Oh hey here's something for the thread. Back in 2008, my school vets lounge had a meet and greet thing, and as a means of getting us to talk to each other, they handed out these "social bingo" papers.

Humanity continues to fill me with inarticulate disgust.

Thanks going in the OP that is by far the worst student vet related thing I have ever seen

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

GIP's STEM press-shamers will never pass up an opportunity to remind you how challenging the job market can be for a literate white man with a college degree and veteran points.

Enlisting somehow didn't earn your father's love and respect but earning a bigger salary than he does totally will. We get it guys. Chill.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
if youre going to enlist and then get a worthless degree just go for the bad choices trifecta and marry someone you knocked up

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Victor Vermis posted:

GIP's STEM press-shamers will never pass up an opportunity to remind you how challenging the job market can be for a literate white man with a college degree and veteran points.

Enlisting somehow didn't earn your father's love and respect but earning a bigger salary than he does totally will. We get it guys. Chill.

no...i have a history degree and, as much as i enjoy the topic, it was a very poor investment. the job market for people without technical degrees is bad and will only worsen.

i dont have any stake in your life so keep on keeping on. but, i know that i wouldnt get a history degree if i could do it over.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I have three semesters left at this place. Still debating whether to continue on with grad school or not.
On a side note, the vets are getting antsy and have been posting non-stop facebook drama. First, some dude decided that our treasurer was a war criminal or something and posted some youtube videos he had made like 8 years ago. So the treasurer resigned. Then the board of the group went to a Hillary rally, and people got really pissed off because it seems partisan or something. Now, we're set to have some elections at the end of the month. Dudes are complaining about all sorts of petty poo poo on Facebook and everyone else is collectively facepalming.

This is what happens when you give enlisted people freedom.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

go3 posted:

if youre going to enlist and then get a worthless degree just go for the bad choices trifecta and marry someone you knocked up

I enjoyed my four year enlistment. I'm enjoying my college experience. I enjoy my job. I think I'll enjoy the careers a worthless college degree will open up for me because my education and my employment are exposing me to them. This is how I choose what to pursue.

You guys are so goddamn traumatized by your enlistments. Sorry your recruiter lied to you. Sorry you didn't get to slay the admin dragon or the air wing lava monster or whatever half-assed military experience you signed up for. Sorry you need redemption by denying yourself any kind of introspection and just shooting for the biggest projected paycheck regardless of how you actually feel about the work you'll be doing.

no...i have a history degree and, as much as i enjoy the topic, it was a very poor investment. the job market for people without technical degrees is bad and will only worsen.

i dont have any stake in your life so keep on keeping on. but, i know that i wouldnt get a history degree if i could do it over.

Got any examples of "any-worthless-degree-will-do" type jobs that you would be willing to do but are unable to get into?
Because if you're just unwilling to do a job that only required a high school diploma a decade or two ago then we're not talking about the same thing.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mike-o posted:

Gonna get my rear end back to CC come April. Fell out of it but I'm gonna get my rear end going again and finally get a degree and transfer to UW or something I dunno yet. Also gonna peep butts but then it's gonna feel creepy cuz they're all 18-21 year olds.

I'm pretty much doing the exact same thing. Gonna get a transfer degree and then either go back to UW or go to Seattle U.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Got a film degree at a for-profit school, now I make nearly $70k a year editing dumb army videos. Checkmate, scrubs :kamina:

I doubt I'll ever find a job like this again

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
currently attending corinthian colleges, which is chill b/c a large amount of my training carried over for credit. i'm shooting for a bfa in photography to be done sometime in the near future. it's a pretty decent gig, and the gi bill bennies are nice when they pop into your account during payday.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I have a Criminal Justice degree so I still think I'm king of the truly worthless degrees

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Classical Civilization with a Minor in Ancient Greek...
:eng99:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Deathy McDeath posted:

I have three semesters left at this place. Still debating whether to continue on with grad school or not.
On a side note, the vets are getting antsy and have been posting non-stop facebook drama. First, some dude decided that our treasurer was a war criminal or something and posted some youtube videos he had made like 8 years ago. So the treasurer resigned. Then the board of the group went to a Hillary rally, and people got really pissed off because it seems partisan or something. Now, we're set to have some elections at the end of the month. Dudes are complaining about all sorts of petty poo poo on Facebook and everyone else is collectively facepalming.

This is what happens when you give enlisted people freedom.

This morning someone posted, in our student vets facebook group, a 50 page PDF of chat transcripts between board members, "proving" their shameful character. But they're just handling business the same way anyone in charge has to handle business, and speaking in private. Except now this is the internet age so nothing is ever private. This place is insane -- what do the whiners expect? Never seen this much drama in my life, not even when dudes on deployment got caught installing cameras in the female showers, not even when we beat up detainees, not even when an MRAP monster-trucked some poor corolla.

VV -- Masters in creative writing high five bruh

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I did my 4 year nursing degree with many butts a peepin. The female to male ratio was something like 15:1 in a class of ~85. The problem was, yoga pants were an emerging trend.

I went back immediately to get my masters degree at Kansas State and yoga pants were in full swing.

Get your masters, the next trend could start that semester. Something like g-string pants or everyone will just let their tits hang out. Either way, do it.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
The cc I went to before transferring had a pretty bitchin' vet center, and I ended up tutoring there for a bit. No dumb rear end drama either. The school I go to now just built a new one but I haven't been to it yet. Before it was just an office to turn in your intent form. Not a cool hangout to check out each other's day packs. Basically it used to suck 10 shades of dick.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

All my professors and TAs this term speak the most broken English ever, it's so great, I'm glad they mandate attendance

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

History degree was the fastest way for me to get to lawschool in terms of GI bill utilization. As it all stands I should get 2.5 years of law school w/housing benefits and GI max tuition with my remaining months and VOC rehab extension. Being a lawyer is something I've wanted to do for a long time so I guess YMMV with regards to.history degrees

shyduck posted:

All my professors and TAs this term speak the most broken English ever, it's so great, I'm glad they mandate attendance

Trying to learn calc 2 from a heavily accented indian man is what made me start looking up my profs before enrolling in classes

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 14, 2016

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zeris posted:

not even when an MRAP monster-trucked some poor corolla.

We tried to do that with a stryker once, it didn't work. Just pushed the thing about half a block. So we just thermite'd it in an empty lot.

(We were detaining an informant and felt like we needed to put on a show)

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Here's to hoping I can get my prereqs done at this CC in Baltimore county and catch one of the BCHS classes at UW MEDEX before the AAPA de-certs Bachelors level physician assistant programs by Jan 1st 2020. Otherwise it's a struggle between getting something like a Kinesiology (Athletic Trainer or Exercise Science) degree then one of the Masters level PA programs with $kidneys in loans or going the nursing route and getting my BSN with something mid level provider-ey in the nebulous future. Really hoping that one of the PA routes works out though, I definitely dig the medical model a lot more than the nursing one.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Slim Pickens posted:

We tried to do that with a stryker once, it didn't work. Just pushed the thing about half a block. So we just thermite'd it in an empty lot.

(We were detaining an informant and felt like we needed to put on a show)

Ours was accidental and there was an Afghan inside :(

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

Here's to hoping I can get my prereqs done at this CC in Baltimore county and catch one of the BCHS classes at UW MEDEX before the AAPA de-certs Bachelors level physician assistant programs by Jan 1st 2020. Otherwise it's a struggle between getting something like a Kinesiology (Athletic Trainer or Exercise Science) degree then one of the Masters level PA programs with $kidneys in loans or going the nursing route and getting my BSN with something mid level provider-ey in the nebulous future. Really hoping that one of the PA routes works out though, I definitely dig the medical model a lot more than the nursing one.

nursing sucks, do PA if you can. the midlevel practitioner in nursing isn't bad, but i've never really been wow'd by any of the Nurse practitioners I've worked with unless they were pediatric nurse practitioners.

If not, you may look at a PhD in Kinesiology? You can be a GA/lab assistant and get your entire tuition paid for, some programs have small but appropriate stipends, you can work on the side if you wish and if you got military fun bucks coming your way then that makes life that much easier. roughly 7 years total of butt peepin, and your research can be from anything like how to make athletes faster, to trying to solve medical conditions such as CHF, COPD to kidney disease.

Then you can be professor butt peepin status, and assign seating closest to the front of the room based on yoga pant butt hotness.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 14, 2016

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Victor Vermis posted:

I enjoyed my four year enlistment.

im calling shenanigans on this one

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

MurderBot posted:

nursing sucks, do PA if you can. the midlevel practitioner in nursing isn't bad, but i've never really been wow'd by any of the Nurse practitioners I've worked with unless they were pediatric nurse practitioners.

If not, you may look at a PhD in Kinesiology? You can be a GA/lab assistant and get your entire tuition paid for, some programs have small but appropriate stipends, you can work on the side if you wish and if you got military fun bucks coming your way then that makes life that much easier. roughly 7 years total of butt peepin, and your research can be from anything like how to make athletes faster, to trying to solve medical conditions such as CHF, COPD to kidney disease.

Then you can be professor butt peepin status, and assign seating closest to the front of the room based on yoga pant butt hotness.

Yeah, the educational specificity of NPs doesn't really do it for me when comparatively PAs can do whatever the gently caress your MDs will train them for and sign off on.

While kinesiology and sports medicine are always going to be serious interests of mine, I doubt that I'd ever go past a BS in it. Professor butt peepin status or not the salary cut for that vs even entry-level PAs is huge, plus only working 10 days every 3 weeks gives me a chubby just thinking about it.

E: Setting the Tinder age range to 18-40 in the more affluent sections of Baltimore County is loving hilarious. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna end up railing out some lonely soccer moms after they send their kids off to catch the bus.

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 14, 2016

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Double major Geographic Information Science and Anthropology, University of Minnesota system. Thought I'd be done in December but might have found a problem with that.

I have a high school deficiency for foreign language because I only took a year of German back then. Last semester I took the intro to German class and was pretty sure the next class I needed was offered spring and fall. Turns out it's only offered in the spring and I don't have time to take it right now because I've got 5 classes and a funded research project. So hopefully they're willing to give me one of those incredibly rare waivers, or are willing to work something out so I don't have to stick around another semester over one class.

I do not go to the vet center because it's a cramped noisy room, and I'd rather be in the library getting stuff done. By and large most of the vets I've run into around here are pretty normal and considerably better than some of the retards I met in community college.

EDIT: I thought that Bingo thing would be marginally fun stuff, it is not, not at all.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 14, 2016

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Vet bingo reads like a ptsd questionnaire, not some light small talk. Should be more relatable stuff like "jerked off in a 100* portashitter" or "bought a goofy rolled hat at an afghan bazaar"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Either written by someone who thinks all vets are ticking timebombs, or a vet with Mah Service! Issues.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Maths degree. Six figure income before age 30. Go STEM, kids.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Trying to learn calc 2 from a heavily accented indian man is what made me start looking up my profs before enrolling in classes
I'm at a point in my degree program (Mech E) where I don't quite have that freedom, and also most of my course profs were listed as TBD until the start of class. TA's are pure luck of the draw.

Also to add I have one TA whose first language is English and he's from here, but he's so loving spergy that most of my recitation class can't make out what he's saying. Jumbled words fall out of his mouth and we all just nod our heads

shyduck fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
my calc 3 teacher years ago was white as gently caress but was also such a loving turbosperg he just wrote a bunch of things on the board, pointed and it and mumbled while fidgeting with the chalk in his hands. that he might have to actually 'teach' seemed to be beyond him.

• Locked thread