Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

What the gently caress? Why the poo poo do you want be on campus for a 3 day weekend?

I got way ahead on papers and reading for the semester :angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Due to ongoing construction one of my classes with ~28 people in it meets in a lecture hall that seats more than 300. Teacher is trying to work something oht because this is supposed to be a workshop with a lit of discussion.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Advertising major graduating in March and feeling pretty good about future employment.

If you're gonna do non STEM, be in a hub for your industry, network, and do internships. A little luck wouldn't hurt either. Those internships should pay. At least for advertising, unpaid internships mean you ain't doing a lick of real work. You'll be somebody's secretary, so enjoy the class credit.

I'm on my third internship, second with an agency. Get comfortable with data, math, and analysis. Even in the spooky world of advertising employers have expectations that new hires can parse through mountains of data to sell ketchup.

bloops fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 19, 2016

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Woke up at 5:30 to do PT, got a good Squat/Bench/Deadlift workout in after classes, went climbing for an hour on the rock wall a few hours later.

Butt hurts, forearm hurts, feels good man.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Zeris posted:

WELCOME TO THE STUDENT VETERANS LOUNGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYuvBWhqC6w

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

brb emigrating to Norway

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
I started my first Cisco Networking Academy class today.

Gonna try my hand at this IT poo poo I guess.

:smithcloud:

I loving despise school. Mostly because I hate millennials.

3 of my 5 classes I signed up for are retarded bullshit, but this one Cisco class is something to get excited for. They cancelled another class I signed up for and was super excited about- Soldering. Class ends with a certificate that the local utility company will apparently hire you up for. There's apparently a permanent shortage of qualified people to do soldering iron work.

So why is the class cancelled?
Only loving 4 people signed up for it.

:argh:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
kill all millenials

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
It's an entire generation of Kids I just want to bully and mock...

#YOLO
#SMDFTB
#TRUMP16
#JFCMSB

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

I started my first Cisco Networking Academy class today.

Gonna try my hand at this IT poo poo I guess.

:smithcloud:

I loving despise school. Mostly because I hate millennials.

3 of my 5 classes I signed up for are retarded bullshit, but this one Cisco class is something to get excited for. They cancelled another class I signed up for and was super excited about- Soldering. Class ends with a certificate that the local utility company will apparently hire you up for. There's apparently a permanent shortage of qualified people to do soldering iron work.

So why is the class cancelled?
Only loving 4 people signed up for it.

:argh:

when historians 100 years from now are trying to figure out why the world plunged back into the dark ages and we have to rely on lamp oil and candles and poo poo to read our handwritten books and people are being killed over the dwindling supply of working circuit boards, theyre going to mark this as the beginning of our decline

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

when historians 100 years from now are trying to figure out why the world plunged back into the dark ages and we have to rely on lamp oil and candles and poo poo to read our handwritten books and people are being killed over the dwindling supply of working circuit boards, theyre going to mark this as the beginning of our decline

I'd sign up for your newsletter to get left under my windshield wipers any goddamn day KFF. You get it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ugh, classes start next week and I'm still working through my backlog of games from the steam winter sale.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Ex-reservist who doesn't rate the whole GI bill checking in. Decided to use it + FAFSA on trade school; got one semester left. Might end up going to university down the line if the world doesn't end. Learning CNC machining. Pretty dope and I don't really have to talk to anyone; my school even sent me to China at the end of last semester to teach first-year machining students over there(I'm not really worried about losing my job to them because they're all pretty terrible at it).

Only downside is the American teacher I went to China with, who, while is a cool guy, likes to identify with me because he was once in boot camp. And then quit. Granted, he made the smart decision, but I can't help but judge him a little.

the other downside is no chicks

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

this will play when they are turning me into soylent

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't get the aversion to the trades. It feels good to accomplish something tangible.

That said I'll probably spend my GI bill on IT poo poo since my dad knows a lot of people.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Trades are cool. It's gotta be vastly more rewarding to create or repair something then spend all day bouncing meeting to meeting or holding telephone conferences.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I ought to look into going to that gunsmithing college in Pennsylvania instead of getting a degree.

I might have enough benefits to do both though.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

McNally posted:

I ought to look into going to that gunsmithing college in Pennsylvania instead of getting a degree.

I might have enough benefits to do both though.

My dad's friend he used to share an office with when he was a 1st Sgt became a fully certified gunsmith after he retired and pulls about 90K a year fixing things rednecks and middle class dads do to their .22s, ARs and 1911s out of his garage

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
i think i should do that. that would be a nice job. fixin guns all day, looking down at people in disgust when they do retarded poo poo.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Lmao Oklahoma is closing down their gold programs due to sequestration.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

My dad's friend he used to share an office with when he was a 1st Sgt became a fully certified gunsmith after he retired and pulls about 90K a year fixing things rednecks and middle class dads do to their .22s, ARs and 1911s out of his garage
Now to sell guns you actually need to have a storefront, but you can gunsmith in your garage?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
getting into gunsmithing is a poor idea considering who the next president will probably end up being

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
true :smith:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Manual machining in general isn't that lucrative* but it's fun as hell.

*Exceptions include:
  • ones that require living on-site at a remote industrial operation
  • ones that require living on a ship
  • union jobs whose perks are rapidly evaporating along with the jobs themselves
  • some unicorn-rare prototyping or university machine shop jobs where some scientist needs a special aluminum flange or whatever made once in a while
  • gunsmithing, sometimes

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Larry Parrish posted:

I don't get the aversion to the trades. It feels good to accomplish something tangible.

That said I'll probably spend my GI bill on IT poo poo since my dad knows a lot of people.

We portray tradesmen in TV shows as low-brow, uneducated poors. Meanwhile doctors and lawyers are hot and sexy and make a bunch of money and sleep with everyone they want. Parents want Timmy to go to college so they don't have to tell the neighbors their son is a dirty lower class worker but is a top-shelf management guy!

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
If you know how to fix HVAC systems you'll never not have work available.

All bullshit aside I wish I had a trade or skill that didn't involve operating a sensor ball or making PowerPoint briefings. Or briefing.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

It'd be nice if there were still plentiful jobs for BETSS-C/GBOSS stuff.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

getting into gunsmithing is a poor idea considering who the next president will probably end up being

But the stricter the gun laws get the more money gets made in the trade, sooooooo

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Casimir Radon posted:

Now to sell guns you actually need to have a storefront, but you can gunsmith in your garage?

Type 01 FFL covers both "dealer" and "gunsmith." Same broad ATF rules apply to both/either.

"Storefront" isn't a hard and fast requirement in the sense that you need a no-poo poo "Bob's Guns" store in order to be legal as an 01 FFL....as long as there aren't zoning regulations or a HOA that would technically prohibit you from running a commercial operation out of your home, you can have a house be a "storefront" for an 01 FFL operation. Same requirements apply as far as being an actual business as opposed to "that license I use to buy guns for myself and sometimes a couple of my friends," but as long as there's nothing from a local perspective prohibiting you from running a business out of your house the feds don't care as long as you're meeting all the other requirements (storage facilities, bound book/record keeping, subject to inspections, etc).

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

The Rat posted:

It'd be nice if there were still plentiful jobs for BETSS-C/GBOSS stuff.

gboss is worthless.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

gboss is worthless.

unless you're a staff NCO that never leaves the wire and wants to make sure his convoy personnel aren't breaking some stupid uniform regulation

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I had a bunch of fun FOB-hopping and fixing them!

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

The Brocalypse and Brocalypse 2: B-Roc Harder were the best things to happen to gun sales since dark people.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Naramyth posted:

The Brocalypse and Brocalypse 2: B-Roc Harder were the best things to happen to gun sales since dark people.

Gtfo bitch

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Day three of into to programming, and the teacher asks us if everyone downloaded calico and Python. This 18 year old kid raises his hand, and said he tried googling it, but was only getting pictures of snakes. I loving wish he was joking, but he wasn't.

He then proceeded to ask his lab partner if he wanted to listen to his video game music on his phone.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Somehow passed this class with a B despite pissing chunky brown water out of my rear end every 15-30 minutes like clockwork for the past couple days, barely avoided a Code Brown during the final.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Ckwiesr posted:

Day three of into to programming, and the teacher asks us if everyone downloaded calico and Python. This 18 year old kid raises his hand, and said he tried googling it, but was only getting pictures of snakes. I loving wish he was joking, but he wasn't.

He then proceeded to ask his lab partner if he wanted to listen to his video game music on his phone.

If you are using Windows, do yourself a favor and download Visual Studio with PyTools as an IDE for Python. I am working with Python professionally and absolutely love Visual Studio and Pytools. It has great intellisense and tons of quality of life improvements which makes coding a lot easier and quicker. They offer a free version that should do everything you need. PyCharm is also a great cross platform IDE. Not my favorite, but a lot of other people really love it.

Also if you run into trouble, don't forget about #python on irc.freenode.net

Edit: Started looking at some of the newer versions of PyCharm and they have incorporated a lot of features making it much more robust than it used to be. The professional version is kind of pricey, like VS, but it seems they have a free license for the professional version for students and teachers.

Delizin fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 21, 2016

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Yoga is actually pretty hard, and i ripped my pants

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

NTT posted:

Yoga is actually pretty hard, and i ripped my pants

Yoga is the greatest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Oh hey, student Vet check-in: University of Pennsylvania, Biochemistry/Premed

Theres so many cute yoga butts, so little time to peep them

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 22, 2016

• Locked thread