Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Ex-reservist who doesn't rate the whole GI bill checking in. Decided to use it + FAFSA on trade school; got one semester left. Might end up going to university down the line if the world doesn't end. Learning CNC machining. Pretty dope and I don't really have to talk to anyone; my school even sent me to China at the end of last semester to teach first-year machining students over there(I'm not really worried about losing my job to them because they're all pretty terrible at it).

Only downside is the American teacher I went to China with, who, while is a cool guy, likes to identify with me because he was once in boot camp. And then quit. Granted, he made the smart decision, but I can't help but judge him a little.

the other downside is no chicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

gboss is worthless.

unless you're a staff NCO that never leaves the wire and wants to make sure his convoy personnel aren't breaking some stupid uniform regulation

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

at the date posted:

Don't set out to be a "CNC machinist" if you want to make any money at all. "CNC machinists" more often than not are actually "operators," which involves a lot of watching tools stir coolant and not much analytical thought. By the nature of their job, CNC operators will dwindle as the robots they are assigned to monitor get better at monitoring themselves. CAD/CAM guys are usually called something different, and those jobs too are getting assigned more to engineers as the machines get vastly more capable and complicated. In my opinion, and I am aware that some people more qualified than me would disagree, the only sustainable machining career after 2020 is in small-lot and custom work, which relies on a broad knowledge base and rewards flexibility. Even for small-lot or one-off work CNC programming and setup is an essential skill*, but that alone won't get you very far.

*There are always exceptions. Most auto shops don't use CNC anything.

e: My opinion may be faintly colored by an aesthetic bias against CNC machining, but I think I gave the question a fair shake here.

boy i sure hope 1. you're wrong or 2. i have money stacked up for an engineering degree in 10 years

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
One month to go til I get my computer integrated machining cert, and I peace the gently caress out of this town. God willing I will get the position I'm eyeing, and if not, I'll find something else.

There are no butts to stare at in the machine shop. :smith:

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Just machine some and embrace the new normal of the future

I need a physical model to take measurements from.

• Locked thread