Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Double major Geographic Information Science and Anthropology, University of Minnesota system. Thought I'd be done in December but might have found a problem with that.

I have a high school deficiency for foreign language because I only took a year of German back then. Last semester I took the intro to German class and was pretty sure the next class I needed was offered spring and fall. Turns out it's only offered in the spring and I don't have time to take it right now because I've got 5 classes and a funded research project. So hopefully they're willing to give me one of those incredibly rare waivers, or are willing to work something out so I don't have to stick around another semester over one class.

I do not go to the vet center because it's a cramped noisy room, and I'd rather be in the library getting stuff done. By and large most of the vets I've run into around here are pretty normal and considerably better than some of the retards I met in community college.

EDIT: I thought that Bingo thing would be marginally fun stuff, it is not, not at all.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Either written by someone who thinks all vets are ticking timebombs, or a vet with Mah Service! Issues.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There was some guy in my German class who wore at least one Marine Corps Veteran piece of apparel every day, and had a bunch of hardcore tattoos. He was supposed to be in our group for the final project along with some other guy, both stopped showing up the last week of class.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Due to ongoing construction one of my classes with ~28 people in it meets in a lecture hall that seats more than 300. Teacher is trying to work something oht because this is supposed to be a workshop with a lit of discussion.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

My dad's friend he used to share an office with when he was a 1st Sgt became a fully certified gunsmith after he retired and pulls about 90K a year fixing things rednecks and middle class dads do to their .22s, ARs and 1911s out of his garage
Now to sell guns you actually need to have a storefront, but you can gunsmith in your garage?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The base education office might have lost my obligation form that was supposed to be turned in 45 days after fall courses started. This better not turn into "lol, pay your tuition out of pocket".

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 22, 2016

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Missed out on applying for an internship with National Geospatial Intelligence Agency, turns out the applications were due in October. Might not have been accepted anyway because my experience with remote sensing was a bit limited at the time. Now trying to find something else preferably with the federal government. I burned through 17 credits last summer and barely worked so that kind of did a number on my savings. If anything else I want to make more than my know-it-all trainee is going to be making at his stupid insurance company internship.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

"Poor" and "trash" are shockingly similar signs.

Those loving deafsplainers.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Reminder: There are people who consider cochlear implants to be genocide.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Age is just like, a number dude. Don't let the mans social constructs drive your thinking, otherwise you're no better that a racist
She's 12, she's my soulmate, we both like the pony show.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Applied for an internship which seemed really promising, until I got to the end of the online application and they started asking a bunch of questions about my familiarity with environmental sciencey sort of things. Was only able to answer one of those questions in the affirmative. Sounded like a near perfect job and it paid really well so this is all a bit disappointing. Better go find some backup plans.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

17 credits

Advanced remote sensing

Applied Geographic Statistics

Anthropology Capstone

Geography Capstone

Anthropology careers (A two credit class that I just missed not having to take)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Remote sensing is cool as hell. I can't track down my :filez: copy of ArcGIS. :saddowns:
Yeah it is. We mostly use ERDAS Imagine for remote sensing stuff, though the department is thinking of moving to ENVI but hasn't had time to modify the curriculum yet. The final project from the last class was pulled from some other institution and used Arc for a lot of the tasks we'd been using ERDAS for, which seemed kind of awkward.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Now, geology students are a bunch of loving dorks. They're alright for the most part, but don't really get that not everyone is as excited about the stuff they're doing as they are. They all have field camp stories that are essentially even less interesting versions of basic training stories, but in their eyes are the equivalent of a year in Vietnam.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DownByTheWooter posted:

Are you a geologist?
http://foundation.aapg.org/programs/military.cfm?utm_source=Informz&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Test

$4k for veterans studying geosciences funded by Shell, Chevron, Conoco, et al

lol why yes every cent of my education is paid for with blood/oil money
Double major; GIS and Anthropology.

I just share a lot of classes with the geology kids.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I wish I had more earth science stuff. The USGS internship I applied for made it sounds like it was mostly GIS stuff in the job description, then sprung a bunch of last minute questions about earth science experience at the end of the application.

Booblord Zagats posted:

College taught me that the word "Homosexual" said by anyone who has a Southern accent while trying to be serious and/or respectful is the funniest sounding thing
There was a retard from Arkansas in my basic flight who went around calling people "Quails". Sorry for the basic story.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vasudus posted:

i have both a BS and an MS in sociology

i am a non-clinical research SME that mostly focuses on methodology and data collection, at least when i'm working with my client

it's not a worthless degree if you work it

How much are you getting paid?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Taking 17 credits over the summer term is exhausting. Especially when one of them is a field school that has you out in the field 40 hours a week, and one of the classes runs from the end of May to the weekend before fall semester starts. It made fall a real slog.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I wanna see her writings
It's all written in menstrual blood.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Failing a course of getting a D is honestly better than getting an academic misconduct charge against you.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Odradek posted:

We've got a steady stream of interns at DIA. Since I'm down in Charlottesville, it's mostly UVA types.
Apparently I missed the boat on applying one of those, or a Geospatial Intelligence Agency one. Those needed to be in by some time in October.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

That's why I date high school girls :shepface:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DownByTheWooter posted:

^ probably for the best then

I have heard there should be good opportunity in the next decade or whatever to get government jobs as just about any kind of hard scientist, including geologists. The pay is pretty bad compared to going to work for oil, but those companies want graduate degrees. Then again, I get veteran welfare and the field work in the civil servant jobs can be really really cool, so who cares about big bucks
The higher end of the GS scale is honestly plenty of money to have a lot of fun on. Of course I know GS-11s with nice cars and houses, who go on vacations all the time but want to cry about how they could be making more money in the private sector.*

*Well if they had college that is

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vasudus posted:

GS7 is like 54, 9 is like 65. 11 is what, high 80s and 13 is 105ish?

Most jobs are bracketed 7-9, 9-11 and 11-13.
Depends on locality. Here 11 is 60 for step 1. Which sounds fair for not having to live in the DC area.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

One of the girls on my team was telling us that her sister is on a study abroad down in South America, and keeps petting stray dogs, and not washing her hands afterwards, and stuff like that. So she's sick all the time and now needs to be debugged because she's got a bunch of fleas living on her.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

at the date posted:

lol

I mean, I pet strays too, that's what they're there for, but drat. My personal hygiene has never been bad enough that I picked up fleas even when I worked in an animal shelter. Getting sick is what people from first world countries do in South America, though, so I can't really begrudge her that.
I'd be tempted to pet strays but I drat well keep myself clean. Also she flew down to visit her sister over winter break, mentioned that she might want to be a little more careful which is apparently not the sort of thing fake-adults want to hear, so she spent the entire two weeks being a complete bitch to her. Now they're not talking anymore.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

That's what they told us 19 years in the 3rd grade, hasn't happened yet.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

App13 posted:

Might be the wrong thread, but anyone have experience with Voc rehab buying them a laptop? I'm using an iPad pro right now, which is awesome, but I need something to run ArcGIS
If you're wanting to run ArcGIS probably don't do it on an Apple product. None of my teachers have had anything nice to say about how the OSX version has worked for students.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mike-o posted:

What about running it in Windows through boot camp?
Can't see an issue there, should work fine. I think it's mostly an issue of the OSX port not being done very well.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

psydude posted:

I'm really surprised the DoD hasn't banned for-profit universities from operating on military bases.
University of Pheonix is currently banned from operating on military installations. Otherwide they have lobbyists to protect them, and a bunch of dickheads who think tradional universities are liberal indoctrination camps.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Had two cousins join the army, then not last more than a year combined. Sisters one after the other. The first joined, got married to some loser from high school, went AWOL with some other guy, and got kicked out. This was after some other relative had told her that the army sucks, and maybe she wasn't really cut out for it. Her younger sister's story is a bit more ambiguous. She joined, then allegedly her boyfriend beat her up and pushed her down a flight of stairs. So that's supposedly why she got out. Then she went and had three kids right after each other. Because she didn't realize that antibiotics cancle ouy birth control, and just being dumb in general. Now years later she claimed her husband beat her up, but suspiciously she's the one who isn't allowed to have custody of the kids. I was always a bit suspicious of her reasons for not being on the army anymore, so it kind of seems like domestic abuse is her go-to excuse whenever she fucks up.

Anyway the older one did some community college for a nursing thing and still hasn't graduated. She's a year or more older than me so at least 28. The younger one did some community college too. Seems like she has all the time in the world to study now that she isn't allowed to be a parent, but who knows? Personal preference is they stay down in Whitetrashistan where they belong.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm happy for the break. I'm maybe getting 4-5 weeks off between now and December. Of course I'm working 2 days, and spending 3 days working on my research project. So it's not like I'm off having a fun old time.

I've got to have a vacation once I graduate. Gotta find someone who isn't a broke un-adventurous piece of poo poo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So we're going through and coding some interview transcripts that each member in the group had to do. One of our team members is FtM and interviewed his genderqueer partner. So that transcipt is essentially D&D Bingo. Patriarchy this, and non-binary that. Also don't you know that queer people have a unique insight on the human impact of extractive industries? :suicide:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

None of the rest of the group had a better idea of what to do so we just rolled with this gender theme. Which could be ok since if we're talking about mining we could be talking about possible sex trafficking in the region, and how women feel about living in a mining community. There's not really a nice way to tell this guy that he's not going to find any transpeople up there, willing to talk anyway.

EDIT: Also the whole transcript is riddled with typos which are making my head hurt even more than it normally would.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 17, 2016

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There are straight people, there are gay people, there are bisexual people, and there are people who have to be the center of attention.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Soulex posted:

It's like those bumper stickers people put on their car. "Gay and proud." Or "transgender driving." Whatever. Advertising it makes you look pompous. I don't drive around with "warning: I am a heterosexual." plastered on my back window.

Though I might put "sexual identifies as an attack helicopter."
Now that's not ok because you have privilege. Now kindly go die cishet scum.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DownByTheWooter posted:

so pumped for field school
They all talk about it like it's a year in Vietnam.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Got a class research trip coming up. Teacher gives us some brief guidelines based on some of the stuff that has happened in years past.

1. The hot tub next to the owners house is not for your use. That's why there is a fence around it.
2. Don't take muddy water out of a puddle and pour it on the rocks in the sauna.
3. Don't pee on the rocks in the sauna.

Sounds like a military trip without the inevitable sexual assault.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Good point.

Soulex posted:

Did you stand in formation when you were told this?
No but they stuck 20 person class that's supposed to be geared toward discussion in a lecture hall that seats somewhere around 350.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

sooo diamond joe is speaking at my school this week, but the topic is preventing sexual assault. I'm 50/50 about going
Go so you can tell him about the coup we're going to launch when he isn't president.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 5, 2016

• Locked thread